New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 10-9-11-10-5-6-19
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is just some sort of a cruel joke by the RUG's. I want to 'scrabble' the numbers, you know, mix them around like letters on a bench... but it is what it is.

Naturally, I have my ideas, and I ended up making a decision. I'll share later. (Sorry Consortium.) While this is a keeper, it's a rather mediocre one. Well, I've spent two days pondering and now that I've mailed it in, I wonder ---

What do you guys think? Confused

Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gonna go crazy, 11-12-11-15-7-9-19 Parry Riposte. I was gonna pump the DFT up to 21, but PR's need some con.
Pretty sure others will have more logical choices.

Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well the obvious AB choice screams to be heard, it's just the particular flavor that you want is all. I would likely go:

11-9-11-16-9-7-21 AB, or try PR if you're feeling adventurous of just bored stiff of aimers. This is really a very nice low-WL setup. That 19 could be in lots worse places...

Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd probably go 11-13-11-15-7-6-21 AB. I could see bumping the speed to 7 for another defense skill. Either way, damage, endurance, and attack rolls determine whether this guy gets a rookie run or not.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KidArcane wrote:
This is just some sort of a cruel joke by the RUG's. I want to 'scrabble' the numbers, you know, mix them around like letters on a bench... but it is what it is.

Naturally, I have my ideas, and I ended up making a decision. I'll share later. (Sorry Consortium.) While this is a keeper, it's a rather mediocre one. Well, I've spent two days pondering and now that I've mailed it in, I wonder ---

What do you guys think? Confused

We like your idea. It might seem like a good one. Rolling Eyes

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

15-9-11-15-7-6-21 AB

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

gentleben wrote:
15-9-11-15-7-6-21 AB
Wow. Live life on the edge, huh? Very Happy I don't have the guts or experience to run an AB (or anything, really) with that low of a WL. I'm not saying it can't be done; I've tried it in the past and I know that I can't do it successfully.

I have yet to EVER graduate these styles: AB, BA, PR, PS, or TP. So after about two decades, I've only graduated five styles, mostly Strikers, Slashers, and WoSteel. My favorites, obviously. Yes, the Aimed-Blow style seemed the obvious choice, but I have one on the team already... and isn't a high DF a good thing for ANY style? Confused

But as far as design, I went the vanilla route: 11-9-11-15-11-7-21; it seemed to offer the most skills (hit all the break points) and I was willing to tolerate a drop in carrying ability and durability in exchange. There's a >60% chance of Good+ damage, so I didn't want to go offensive-style since I couldn't count on hitting hard. I bit the bullet and went T-Parry with this one.

In theory, this design is going to have to be an 'offensive TP', which means that he has some body odor and a eats like an animal. Oh, and hopefully this fighter will be able to counterattack when it seems plausible, and parry or dodge when necessary. I almost went P-Strike, since I have run a 21WT, I'd like to see how a 21DF fares. But the skill charts are abysmal.

I've never had a TP last into the Challenger Adepts, so we'll have to see how this works. I've never run an 'offensive' type; I don't think I've seen many in the arena. Wink In any case I can learn a little more about this style for the future. That's my train of thought, anyway. (You on board, Consortium? Laughing The problem for me is that most of the opinions I solicit seem good to me; I tend to vacillate between them. This way I've made my bed; I just want to see if I did a reasonable job of it.)

If anyone has any bones they want to toss me re: the Offensive TP, I'll take them. Buri, I read your essay on Terrablood. How old is that?

Lugal_gg I too considered leaving the DF at 19, but giving up so many skills at that 21 breakpoint just seemed silly. I would've rather had the 19 in WT or WL; DF offers great skills but I think the benefits are over-inflated; most designs have to give up too much somewhere else (damage or damage-taking).

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your opinions and thoughts. I do appreciate it.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KidArcane wrote:
Wow. Live life on the edge, huh? Very Happy I don't have the guts or experience to run an AB (or anything, really) with that low of a WL. I'm not saying it can't be done; I've tried it in the past and I know that I can't do it successfully.

I'm becoming more and more a fan of 7 will. Because there are almost no skills between 7 and 15 will, it is a great place to 'cheat' points to put elsewhere. 7 will has its own set of problems, but done correctly, I'm a believer...

The Consortium wrote:
We like your idea. It might seem like a good one. Rolling Eyes

I will echo The Consortium and approve of your design. He was smart enough to do it before he saw your design, the old wiley rascal!
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

11-9-11-15-11-7-21 TP?

Well, a good reason to make something like that is it looks like fun. What better reason is there? It will struggle, but, if you can find something near the fave weapon and rhythm, it could act like a spiffy "Money Man" or Ali.

Probably would have tried the 11-9-11-15-9-8-21 AB on a chintzy Consortium nickel. (If not that, same as a ST.)

Lastly, thanks, Assur. I always appreciate your heart felt-kudos. Shocked Rolling Eyes

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KidArcane wrote:

If anyone has any bones they want to toss me re: the Offensive TP, I'll take them. Buri, I read your essay on Terrablood. How old is that?

Oh, that was at LEAST 15 years ago, maybe 20... so it was written before the great AB revolution, when TPs actually had a chance at TVs fairly often. Good luck with this one, the big issue I see is that you're likely to get poor endurance, which would be better suited to an AB. So, you're not going to scum too many opponents, and even off. TP's scum some of their fights. That, with less than normal carrying capacity, means you're going with light armor which is fine for what you're trying to do.

This guy's got a good skill base though, if he gets a good rhythm and weapon he could be decent. Unfortunately, very few TPs get the rhythm they need, to be offensive. I always try my "Popeye" numbers (two TC's in basic) with new off TPs, 7-7-5-responsiveness. Warning: these numbers are not for everybody, Popeye was a freak. But it's worth a fight to find out! Most TP's like numbers much, much lower.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic