New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Turn 279
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Otto_X
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A disappointing 2-2 for the Diner. Not sure why Sam & Ella didn't run. Got another graduate as Misfortune Cookie makes for the isle. She's our 17th graduate and second AB.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Otto_X wrote:
A disappointing 2-2 for the Diner. Not sure why Sam & Ella didn't run.

Maybe they are holding out for the tourney

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another VERY disappointing 1-4 for Search the Sky. Haven't seen this many losses mounting up in a long while. My two lungers are 0-2. Don't know what to do with them, exactly. I hate 'em; I've never graduated a lunger. I think I will send one to the D.A. and start over. What's the worst that could happen? Wink

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

1-4 for the Guild. Pretty ugly as they even had some matchups that felt like they should have been winnable - or at least possible. But yuck. At least the rookie is off to a good start.
Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

3-2 for Those That Prey, with Janna getting a lot of applause for poking someone in their sphinxter. Speaking of wastes, Vidhi owned one with well over 2X her FE to take the throne. Speaking of owned, Shem lost to one. Speaking of Shem, the other warrior starting with "sh" will be going "shh! shh! shh!" next cycle as he tries to blow his torch out. Speaking of words starting with "sh", Neeta continues her shameful performance, achieving more crits with her fists than any weapon her style is actually suited to. Speaking of shameful, Dense and Big Lake Pollution.
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Vladimer wrote:
...Speaking of shameful...

If all you have to post are nothing but insults and rude comments, please don't bother speaking. Rolling Eyes

As a player, I have read the Red Book and have strived to follow its guidelines; this includes a respectful interaction with others IN ADDITION to the general rules of the game. I EXPECT that this is true of my fellow gamers as well. Therefore, I get irritated when the rules are bent, or in some cases ignored. The idea that one manager was getting away with playing fewer fighters??... Don't know the truth of that or what exactly was going on. I don't pour over the newsletter and collect data and crunch numbers. I do know that this is the beginning of the ugly comments.

Meanwhile, RSI wants/needs funds. Conflict seems to generate same. Most managers don't seem to mind the conflict. Conflict continues.

Be that as it may, the bickering and name-calling is getting more and more aggressive and repugnant, even from the sidelines.

I need time to think about it, dwell on it, and then write about it. I may put my thoughts into a spotlight. This will allow me time to consider all perspectives, then 'reason' the problem aloud between my two alter-egos, and that might get the point across to RSI, at least, that the denigrating comments and general lambasting is becoming abhorrent to some managers. Then... we'll just see.

As a middle school teacher, I've always had to deal with a lot of adolescent crap. Now I see this childish interaction taking place in the forums and personal ads and initially I just write it off as a passing fancy. Then I see it continues, even escalates, and I think: "RSI will step in soon because this has obviously gone too far." But I've been suspecting that they wouldn't because they haven't, and now it seems patent that they won't. And after reading long threads in another arena's forums, it seems that this animosity is more than just 'character role play'; it's open antagonism.

So I'm on the fence about what to do with it, because I'm just tired of this sort of thing (and other junk) going on at school -- where kids are involved. The idea of calling grown men to task for acting like doofs is loathsome to me. Also, it makes me uncomfortable because I fully anticipate a strong attack in response. Let's face it; calling the managers (all of them) to account for their words in the forums and ads is like hitting a hornets' nest with a stick. I don't want to do it, frankly. And yet...

Grow up, guys. Just a little. It's a game for adults, rich with imaginative possibilities, cradled in a narrow mathematical set of probabilities. Let's just enjoy it, okay? Wink

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Or, you could lighten up and recognize that some people are mature enough to engage in banter without any ill will behind it. I'm still chuckling about (and playing with) my uncle's "hush presents ".

If jawing between managers doesn't belong in the forums, I'll never poke Den or anyone else. But i would be surprised if most felt that was the case.

I'm assuming you were using my comment to head off something larger like we saw in the Sunset post. Because, if referring to someone's team's performance as "shameful" sparked this diatribe, i have something for you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/30ogzh/offensensitivity_a_bloom_county_comic_strip_from/
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Vladimer - I suspect that what he was referring to was this line:

"Speaking of shameful, Dense and Big Lake Pollution."

While that line is not particularly offensive to me and is quite mild compared to what frequently gets posted, it is not simply a comment on a teams record. It is an attack on the manager.

I can't speak for Kid Arcane, but will speak for myself since the Sunset thread was partially my doing. I have been silent about the vulgarities on these threads and in the personals for years. I pay 1/2 as much attention to the game as I used to. I don't like the insults and find them childish, but I have remained silent. But the comments have frequently become outright offensive, with "jokes" that could frequently be seen as attacks on women, gays and the kind of sexual commentary I would not want anyone to know I was reading. In fact, I recently quickly took my computer away from my niece to keep her from seeing these forums. Those kinds of lines have no place in the game.

**I want to be clear - I wouldn't have commented on Vladimer's post above. I'm not a big fan of that sort of comment, but it falls well short of the type of thing I'm talking about.

So I simply decided that I'm done ignoring everything. That may end up meaning "poking the hornets nest" as was noted above. But I don't intend to respond with insults of my own, but rather, as Kid Arcane did, with comments about how inappropriate these things are. If it continues I will have to decide if I want to be associated with a game/site that allows such offensive language in their posts. Again - "letting adults be adults" is one thing, I can ignore a general throwing of taunts between managers. But I don't feel like I should tolerate offensive language. And I know it can be done in a less offensive way - some of the comments are quite clever and witty. Den's "juggle/jiggle" comment in the Sunset thread made me laugh.

I won't be searching out every thread and reading every post, but when I see something that I think crosses the line, I will comment on it. Not by attacking the poster and responding in kind, but by simply saying it isn't acceptable.

Dragonbane Guild(81)
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nomad wrote:
Vladimer - I suspect that what he was referring to was this line: "Speaking of shameful, Dense and Big Lake Pollution." ...

...But the comments have frequently become outright offensive... Those kinds of lines have no place in the game...

**I want to be clear - I wouldn't have commented on Vladimer's post above. I'm not a big fan of that sort of comment, but it falls well short of the type of thing I'm talking about....

Many little items I wish to address. First, yes, that line was what I was referring to, and yes, Vladimer probably realizes this. Vladimer's redirection was weak. My point is still valid, and essentially unchallenged.

My 2nd point: To alleviate all misunderstanding for Vladimer (and any other manager who feels offended by my comments) I too shall strive to be clear -- I don't like the rude, aggressive tone of the forums. Insults fly from all directions, and the words that are chosen are vicious and unnecessary. Teasing and role play is one thing; the abusive and derogatory comments that are becoming commonplace in the forums is something else.

My 3rd point: It may seem that I have overreacted; perhaps I have? However, once I had decided to speak out against the hateful sort of comments made, I simply waited until the next one popped up and -- bingo! Wink Here was my opportunity to speak out --- so I took it. Granted, it IS rather tame, however, I WAS trying to 'head off' another long string of churlish comments.

My 4th point: I am not hiding behind Nomad; I am standing on my own here. However, he stated the case and my position even better that I have, so I quoted him in what I felt were the essentials of the matter.

Getting down to brass tacks: This kind of interaction wearies me. I believe it is significant and remarkable that so many managers have read these posts, yet they remain silent. I am not surprised. Evil, throughout history, has largely held sway via the silence of the masses. Let me be plain: Attacking and tearing down others is wrong and immoral. Yes, therefore, evil.

Before the jeers, the scoffing, and the taunting start, I suggest that everyone pause and check their moral compass. Making rude, derogatory statements about others is anything but 'good', wouldn't you agree? And if it's not good, it's evil (to some degree). Otherwise there really isn't any difference between the two (good or evil). My life experiences, education, and common sense readily affirm the existence of both good and evil. The choice of which to uphold or attack is all that's left.

In many ways, every day, I choose evil all too often. It's generally anonymous; it's easier; it's less painful; it's more acceptable. But not here; not in this situation. No.

I've decided to stay off the forums for a week or so and then return to discover what the DM (or D2 -- whatever) community has decided. This, in turn, will help me to decide if I even want to play anymore.

Am I such a baby to want to have fun without the lewd, hostile insults? Maybe. Or maybe I'm just too grown up to see the fun in them.

Since I am taking a break here for a bit, I will take this opportunity to apologize for the long posts; I simply wish to make myself comprehensible and crystal clear. Au revoir!

Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey guys long time no speak. I have just lurked to get my D2 fix.

My thoughts on the "banter" I see on the forums.

In all honesty, it HAS kept me from coming back to play. Maybe my money doesn't mean much. I played in 2 or 3 arenas. Sent 30ish warriors to tournaments. Never attended a FTF.

I do know if I or one of my sons was a new player seeking info to help me or them get started and we stumbled on this forum I'd just move along and never try or let them try D2.

Just saying.

Southern Boy
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Banter of that type probably belongs in the arena newsletter, by way of personal ads, spotlight or DM column. In the arena newsletter it is clear that "banter" is directed toward the manager persona or warriors and is roleplaying. Here in the forum things can get blurred and could be seen as an attack on the person.

I actually read the banter in the newsletters, here it is ignored.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SouthernBoy wrote:
Hey guys long time no speak. I have just lurked to get my D2 fix.

He lives!! SB, we've wondered many a time on Chatzy what happened to you. You've been missed.

Visionist wrote:
Banter of that type probably belongs in the arena newsletter, by way of personal ads, spotlight or DM column.

I'm sold. This works for me (not that it needed to). I would never want anything I wrote to honestly offend or hurt, nor hijack a vehicle for a different purpose. Other than being an instigator, I'm not sure my posts were necessarily the ones in question. But I like bright lines and this is one for me.

Den, I'll see you in the NL!
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum