New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104512

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 2018 Tempe F2F
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Looking to share a room, Fri-Sat-Sun

_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, I'm going to be in Phoenix that whole week, so if anyone has any activities planned for Monday or Tuesday, I might be interested.

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Getting closer and closer ..... ARE YOU READY!? Cool

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
ThePope
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good luck all. Thinking about you all as the snow comes down.

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I wish I was able to go, but if anyone has any pictures they would like to post, I can at least reminisce.

Good luck on the sands!

Manager - Skull Squadron, Health Alteration Squad, Legion of Death #100
http://markgmanley.wixsite.com/duelmasters
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A few quick notes:
Estimated (sorta counted) 34 managers in attendance.
Maybe 10ish spouses and children attached. (est)
Same ole Embassy Suites, which really fits us well. plenty of room & tables.
Some hiccups in early running, (sorry about those newsletters) but all smoothed and finished last night (Sat) earlier than usual and in good shape.
A record number of Crapmaster entrants. (18, we think.)
No known fights have broken out.

We presume there will be some details on overall and personal results later.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is there a link anywhere to the results??

SouthernBoy
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.reality.com/ff60con.htm

next one will be 61 then 62 ... etc etc
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A tournament saga and update summary

O.K. Let's talk T.
Consortium Tournament Results and Commentary

Good job to the RSI Wizardettes. Some early server/system hiccups rectified to a smooth and quickish and satisfactory FTF. You go gals!

Entered a mere 45 (3 Crapmasters) and no proxies for the first time ever.
So we had smooth sailing and was never behind. (We let Manager be the "slow-things-down guy" all alone this time.

Only Challengers through rookies. No ADM warriors. No bloodgames. Smallest ever entrants from the Consortium in 30+ years of Faces.

170-122-5-10 with 7 TVs , one a final four. (16% awards)
SL, SL, ST, ST, BA, TP, TP
Crapmasters went 12-9-1-1 of the above record.

Yes 10 Killed. (Arghhhhh!)
The two most horrible and hurtful deaths were:\
8-0 (top Init AB) AB killed in round 9. (Did not count this as a TV.)
Grudge matches, we matched Init TV 8-3 lunger against 1-3 AB with 2 KDs across for easy skills. The SOB aimer killed the lovely lunger. (8-8-5-21-21-10-11) SAD and dumb!!!

SOME HIGHLIGHTS

We need to congratulate tablemate Mannequin on his finely managed Freshman TC with a striker.

The Consortium had more kills than Killer Mannequin in a tournament (with far fewer entrants) for the first Face ever! Is Killer becoming a Twinkletoes?

Watching Howlin Matt roar this tournament was a highlight. Well done, Matt The Master!

Out of the 20 RU teams procured had some quite good stuff, including:
(a) the rollup 8-8-5-21-21-10-11 that we lost in the grudges (see above)
(b) 9-7-8-17-17-5-21

No travel problems both ways and was quite satisfied with the room, the food, the conference room, and the friendship and fellowship there.

Congrats to ALL the TCers and TVers.

FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SouthernBoy wrote:
http://www.reality.com/ff60con.htm

next one will be 61 then 62 ... etc etc

A Southern Boy sighting !! ...That mean you are coming back? Wink
SouthernBoy
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Frayed knot Razz
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I did find some things to do the remainder of the week here in Phoenix. I went to the Musical Instrument Museum on Tuesday, which was really interesting, especially the Artist gallery. I saw guitars from Johnny Cash, Elvis, Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Lennon's piano that Imagine was composed on, and a collage of harmonicas signed by just about every blues artist I ever heard of, among many other wonders.
Found a few great places to eat (Caveman burgers, Chronic Taco), as well as a few terrible places.
Oh, the tourney? It was my typical weak performance, but I only lost one fighter (a crapmaster entry) while kiillng four.

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey, Buri:

1. Congrats on your 4 kills. You doubled the tablemate Twinkletoes Killer!
2. We are jealous of the Musical Museum visit. It sounded awesome.

Hope to see you next year.

One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They came. They saw. They went home.

I entered 22 warriors by proxy, with Assur kind enough to proxy them for me. I thought about not writing a tourney report this time around, but in the distant future I want our robot overlords to have a full and accurate historical record of my results.

----------

By class: 6 Primus, 4 Contenders, 2 Eligibles, 2 ADM, 3 Freshmen, 1 Challenger, 4 Rookies.
By style: 5 AB, 3 BA, 3 LU, 2 PL, 1 PR, 2 PS, 2 SL, 2 ST, 1 TP, 1 WS.

Primus

What can I say about Primus? I entered 6 warriors, and all were out after round 5. The two ABs are still training SP, so I'll keep running and developing them. The LU has nifty LS VH/VH L/D favorites, so I'll keep running him for the novelty factor. The PS is one of my favorites, and he has a shot at a stylemaster each tourney (although not while going 0-5). The WS and SL, though, I've had enough of them. There are far too many WS and SL in Primus now for these guys to win stylemaster awards. SZ 3-4 is just too debilitating for a non-AB. Even if you get lucky enough to hit someone, it just doesn't do enough damage.

Collectively, my Primus warriors went 6-24, which is about par for the course in that class. And it doesn't make achieving a winning record in the tourney any easier.

Contenders

Contenders wasn't much better than Primus, frankly. I entered four, and three were out after round 5. I didn't have high hopes for the BA, but the PL and LU could've done better. My AB went 4-3, which appears to be his "thing". Its not a good thing to have, though, so I'm going to push him a little further and risk going over into Primus. I just don't have the patience to run a warrior to a 4-3 record every three months for the next several years.

Eligibles

I had a Bloodgames BA drop down into Eligibles from Contenders, which was a pleasant surprise. RIRORNI BOLOGNESE was runner-up in ADM in one version of the zombie attack MI tourney, so I thought perhaps he had some mojo. His 1-3 this tourney in Eligibles says otherwise, but I'll probably give him some more tries. I have a soft spot for my Bloodgames children.

SPARE ANCHOR came off a fine 10-3 Eligibles performance in the October MI and put up a solid but disappointing 6-3 this tourney. I didn't find out until later that he was using ASM instead of APA for the entire tourney. I have no idea if that had an impact on his record or not, but we'll find out more when I switch it back to APA for April.

ADM

With SURLY DECKHAND languishing in Eligibles after his ADM TV, I was forced to use my substitute ADM BA, HORTATOR. He is a lot of fun to watch, really. There is something about a Superhuman HL crit to the face that brings me joy. He has TV'd ADM before, but not in a long time. He managed a 5-3, which is just enough to keep me trying until SURLY drops back down.

My greatest disappointment this tourney was a 21-21 LU named BLACK DEATH. He had tons of hit points, carry, endurance, skills... everything except big damage or a good favorite weapon. Good damage turned out to be too much to overcome. Luckily, he exited so quickly at 4-3 that he should be able to set up for an encore disappointment in Eligibles down the road. Maybe in October!

Freshmen

I entered three Freshmen, all 21-21s learnings skills over the Freshmen line. They were still young, at just over 50 FE, and didn't have the physicals that I wanted yet for a bust-out. So on the long road to ADM set-ups, they got to try to learn their remaining Attack skills and see what they could do against the sandbaggers and bust-outs of the Freshmen class.

The PS went 0-3. Predictable.

The PL went 5-3. Not too shabby.

The PR, TENTH WATCH, put up a very nice 9-3 (my best showing of the tourney). At one point, it was down to 2 TP, 2 ST, and 1 PR in the Freshmen class and I started thinking that he might have it in him to go all the way. He was eliminated next turn by a scum TP. Shows you what I know. But his fine result while simply learning skills over the line bodes well for his future bust-out in ADM, I think.

Challengers

ORC TENDERLOIN went from a deep TV in October to a 4-3 in this tourney. Tougher competition? Dumb luck? Maybe April will shed some light on that.

Rookies

I entered these four at the last minute, to help prep them for TDO's arena contest in Arvat. They are all subpar tourney warriors, but collectively, they should make a fine arena team. They showed it by going 5-12 in the tourney.

----------

In the end, my crew of 22 finished with a 54-73-0 record and 1 TV. A very poor result for me, but not surprising given that I skipped the FtF, didn't send much good stuff, and it was an exciting prize.

Speaking of the prize, I have heard that the prize implementation will be different than was described in the tourney announcement. As the prize is now being interpreted by Lee, you can use the TC prize on an Inits level AB, for instance, and declare that it should be FI favorite, 7-9-Bash-Dodge, Def learn. While in Inits through Champs, it will be merely MO-MO-Bash. When it gets to Freshmen, it will become 6-6-Bash. When it gets to Primus, it will become 7-9-Bash-Dodge.

What this basically means is that there is no longer a real choice whether to use it on a more advanced warrior to get perfect favorites or a younger warrior to get more tournies use out of it. Or whether to use it on a young non-AB that can get better natural favorites or on a young AB with weak natural favorite options. The clear best choice now is to find an Inits AB to give an unnatural rhythm and Dodge tactic to, and he'll get the best of all possible worlds. Ideal natural weapon, rhythm, and learn in basic, exact numbers in Freshmen, and then unnatural rhythm in Primus.

The original prize description left the winning manager with challenging choices and multiple "best" options. This one seems to have only a single use, and that is to modify a young AB.

I'll be sending 60+ warriors to the April MI to try to wash the stench of failure off of me. I also plan on attending the summer FtF, assuming it ends up in the Northeast as planned. Thanks to Assur for proxying my warriors. Congrats to all the winners, especially to HowlinWolf for his outstanding 3 TCs after a lean 2017. I look forward to seeing you all on the sands in April.

One Armed Bandit
chronicler of tourney performances, both outstanding and mediocre
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is always such a pleasure to read OABs well-written tournament summaries. Reading carefully, one can find many valuable comments, hints, and tidbits to enhance one's own game.

Salute to OAB!

(on the writing, not the performance)

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic