New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104513

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 2017 Oct Mailer ... SPOILERS
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Please , please, please use this, and only this for after-mailer talk and potential spoilers to others.

PLEASE.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Teaser #1:

Tourney is done. Will start printing shortly. On track for a Thursday mail-out.
Teasers:
- 2388 warriors
- 8/10 styles TC'd
- longest tourney was a tie between freshmen and dead apprentices
- only one warrior had three kills
- largest arena was rookies, smallest was eligibles
- over half of the TCs had two word names

Lee

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Spoilers are welcome for me no matter how good or bad

My roster:

SHOW OF HANDS (28-5011) DEAD ADEPTS
BIRTHDAY BOY (21-8040) DEAD ADEPTS
SNAFU MCGOO (21-8571) DEAD CHAMPS
NATURAL BOURNE (32-5709) DEAD ADEPTS

Live:
GRIZZLY BARE (33-8825) CHAMPS
UNGNOME SOLDIER (102-32-5933) ELIGIBLES (busting gateway skills)
SEMPER FIDELIS (32-new) ROOKIES

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

first spoiler:

I only sent 5 in, all dead, but I got a dead TC in the Apprentices!
Arrietty of Studio Ghibli at 15-2-0.
(Consortium, this is the one that was almost identical to Hag at last year's Tempe F2F.)

Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a small squad - only 12 I think, half of them already dead. There was only one thing interesting to report - I did get a TV in dead Challengers.

Kilimanjaro: 13(+2)-16(+1)-3-15-19(+1)-13-10(+1)
I know he doesn't look all that great, despite the size, but his id # is 10-366. Yes, this guy was originally rolled up in 1985. That would help explain the odd numbers and the odd trains. He wasn't one of my original 5, but from that first team 2 warriors died on turn two. This guy was one of the replacements making him my first ever replacement warrior. This was his second time coming back from the dead, although challengers is much more impressive than his first one. (Inits I think.) For some reason I can't figure out I apparently sent him in using a longsword, despite the fact that he has always used, and is actually suited for, the broadsword.

I'll take it and officially call the tournament a success. Very Happy
Ah, nostalgia.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nomad wrote:
I had a small squad - only 12 I think, half of them already dead. There was only one thing interesting to report - I did get a TV in dead Challengers.

Kilimanjaro: 13(+2)-16(+1)-3-15-19(+1)-13-10(+1)
I know he doesn't look all that great, despite the size, but his id # is 10-366. Yes, this guy was originally rolled up in 1985. That would help explain the odd numbers and the odd trains. He wasn't one of my original 5, but from that first team 2 warriors died on turn two. This guy was one of the replacements making him my first ever replacement warrior. This was his second time coming back from the dead, although challengers is much more impressive than his first one. (Inits I think.) For some reason I can't figure out I apparently sent him in using a longsword, despite the fact that he has always used, and is actually suited for, the broadsword.

I'll take it and officially call the tournament a success. Very Happy
Ah, nostalgia.

Congrats, Nomad; that is cool stuff!

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

_Buri_ wrote:
first spoiler:

I only sent 5 in, all dead, but I got a dead TC in the Apprentices!
Arrietty of Studio Ghibli at 15-2-0.
(Consortium, this is the one that was almost identical to Hag at last year's Tempe F2F.)

Kudos, Buri! You are making us jealous!

Our results were solid in the w/l @ 59% , with a sad six of 7-3's and only 1 TV out of 26 total. First year in the last five with no dead resurrection. (Arghh.)

Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I sent in 10, all dead, and I got 2 back. A Dead Challengers TV and a Dead Adepts TV. I certainly feel positive about those results.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The results are in. I had a good tourney, overall.

With 81 warriors sent, my record was 242-224-10-9 with 9 awards. So I achieved a 52% win percentage and beat the 10% award percentage threshold that many managers believe signifies a good tournament.

Here were the high and low points of the tourney for me:

Some warrior you've never heard of wins the Eligibles TC.

DUSKBLOOD PUDDING began life as an 11-4-5-21-17-9-17 AB. He had an unremarkable basic career (no TVs) and followed that up with an unremarkable ADM career (no TVs). He has no Defense bonus, has no 21 DF, and isn't a Fist favorite. His main strengths are that he is Defense favorite learn, he has a reasonably good favorite weapon in the Longsword, and he has bustable attributes. So despite his lack of tourney success at every point in his tourney career, I decided to set him up for an Eligibles bust-out.

123 FE later, he looked like this going into the ADM freeze: 24(13)-15(11)-5-21-25(8)-9-20(3) AB with 197 total skills, tremendous damage, tremendous hit points, and tremendous carry. Not perfect, but he seemed suitable for taking a shot at a weak tourney like October. On the turn after the freeze, he learned 4 gateway skills in the Primus arena, then trained DF to 21 and 22 in the remaining two turns before the tourney.

The plan was to train WT in rounds 1-9, which should on average get all 4 trains to 25 WT. Then in rounds 10+, switch to DF training and hope to get a lucky 6th train or more down the stretch. He had some trouble training in the early rounds, and only managed 3 WT trains during the tourney. But he did get a lucky 6th DF train on the second to last round of the tourney, so I can't complain.

DUSKBLOOD PUDDING had a mostly unusable favorite rhythm, so ran 9-10, 7-10, and 6-10 for much of the tourney, although he did slow down versus some styles in later minutes. He used LO and no tactics vs much of the field, and FI and Dodge tactic vs LUs, STs, SLs, and BAs. It was mostly for LUs; I didn't expect to see any of those other styles. Boy was I wrong!

Despite not learning well early in the tourney, DUSKBLOOD PUDDING got off to a hot 6-0 start. His first loss was in round 7 to MUD KING, a LU. One LO crit to my AB's face and the fight was essentially over. After MUD KING, though, the winning began in earnest again.

While this was going on, my sandbagger SPARE ANCHOR was also having a heck of a tourney. Its amazing that a Total Parry who has only learned 15 Attack skills can compete in Eligibles, but compete he did. He finished up at 10-3, in 3rd place, and eliminated some of DUSKBLOOD PUDDING's competition along the way.

By the end, all that remained was DUSKBLOOD PUDDING at 12-1 and MOJO-JOJO (a Striker!) at 11-2. MOJO-JOJO had previously gone 1-1 vs SPARE ANCHOR in the tourney and seemed very impressive. In their first fight, MOJO-JOJO ran my AB over. One SC crit to the arm and the fight ended. Fortunately for me, DUSKBLOOD PUDDING picked up a DF train during this fight, which included a coordination bump, an ADVANCED MASTER in RIPOSTE, and a GRANDMASTER in DEFENSE. Whether it was dumb luck or whether these extra skills proved to be the difference, I'll never know, but the second fight between these warriors was completely different than the first. DUSKBLOOD PUDDING attacked and dodged and riposted for most of the fight, and although he was hit once in the second minute, he didn't crumble like in the previous fight. In the third minute, DUSKBLOOD PUDDING was finally able to subdue MOJO-JOJO and win the TC.

Variety is the spice of life.

I was pretty happy at how many classes I won awards in, and with how many styles.

My 9 awards were:

DUSKBLOOD PUDDING (AB) with an Eligibles TC
SPARE ANCHOR (TP) with an Eligibles TV
ORC TENDERLOIN (SL) with a Challengers TV
DELTA CANCRI (SL) with an Adepts TV
DEADBOLT (LU) with an Initiates TV
THETA LYRAE (BA) with an Apprentices TV
BETA LYRAE (ST) with an Apprentices TV
DELTA CAELI (AB) with a Rookies TV
BEAKHEAD (ST) with a Dead Apprentices TV

So I managed those 9 awards with 6 different styles in 7 different tourney classes. I try to run a well rounded roster and often it doesn't lead to well rounded results, but its nice when it happens.

The circle of life sucks.

After winning a resurrection potion in Eligibles, it only seemed fitting that I lose a warrior that I might use the resurrection potion on.

ALPHA CAELI was a 9-7-8-21-21-7-11 PL who entered the Adepts tourney with a 7-1-1 arena record, some solid tourney performances in previous classes, and good learns. She got off to a nice 2-1 start, but that all came to an end when she died at 2-2.

The warrior I got back in Dead Apprentices was a generic ST that was timed at 4 FE and on a former contest team. Not a fair trade at all!

Wish I were there.

I'm fairly certain that I'll be skipping the Tempe FTF again this year. But I'll try to find some good ADM-level warriors to send to give me some small hope of TCing while I watch along from home.

And that means I'll be going pretty hard at the April MI (like I did at this tourney), regardless of the prize. But winning is fun, no matter what the prize is. As Kelly frequently tells me: "You get what you get and you don't get upset."
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How does this happen?

I had a warrior learn one decise skill and get his expert.

A bit later he learned one more decise skill and got his advanced expert.

In between there were no learns or stat trains.

Ideas? My old-school math always said it takes 4 skills to go from 16 to 20. Do I just need to ask RSI for updated skills learns to figure out where he really stands?
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nomad wrote:
How does this happen?

Ideas? My old-school math always said it takes 4 skills to go from 16 to 20. Do I just need to ask RSI for updated skills learns to figure out where he really stands?

I've never had that happen. I've had a warrior pick up a rating, and then in a lter tournament or arena fight pick up the same rating. I like your glitch better!

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nomad wrote:
How does this happen?

You need to check with RSI as to the exact skill learn/status. Sometimes (very, very seldom) what the system prints on the paper for skill learns is not what happened. Unusual!

Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Vlad here with Monday Morning Tourney Quarterback (MMTQB). Having finally digested and re-reviewed my tourney team’s performance, I had a reasonably good tourney, though somewhat less successful than others. I was more careful about reviewing all the fights and hope I have some positive takeaways and action items. But let’s go to the tape!

Awards of the week

I sent a total of 70 live warriors and 64 of them came back with green participation ribbons. Well, actually, make that 57 of them came back with green participation ribbons because 7 of them didn’t come back at all. Six, however, came back with shiny blue Tournament Victor ribbons. If, as Bandit suggested, the Cool Manager litmus test is 10% awards – I don’t think he was counting participation – then I failed. That said, I was pretty happy to sit back and realize that many of my folks did well enough to get a blue ribbon. None of the coveted purple Tournament Champion ribbons, but I had a guy come in 3rd.

The six TV’s consisted of 3 Parry Ripostes, 2 Aimed Blows and a Lunger. Yes, you read that right. Oddly, no 7-3’s this go round.

Quotes of the week

“Bullshit.” – Me, upon learning that of my six TVs, all but one of them were PRs or ABs.

Stats of the Week

I’m not really “counting” the dead warriors in the numbers except by whether they made it out or not. And they didn’t, though one came really, really close (Big “thank you!” hug to Howling Wolf). Of the 70 live warriors, we managed 168-179-2-7, or 48%. I don’t have my past tourney numbers all at the ready, but suffice it to say I’ve done better and certainly done worse.

Best class: Champs at 67%
Worst Class: Adepts at 37%
Best style: Parry Riposte at 21-17-0-0 or 61%. Yes, you read that right.
Worst style: Parry Strike at 0-3-0-1 or 0%

Factoids that may only interest me

I. My two kills were both by aimed blows.

II. 28% of my team, or twenty warriors, went 0-2. Of those, 11 were rooks. Three more went 0-1. Good thing I was very, very selective this time and punted the other 70 warriors to the Tempe FTF! Shocked

III. My warriors put the two losses on one of the TCs.

Mr. Starwood Preferred Member Travel Note

7 trips to Germany this year and potentially one more to go. Good thing that Germany has excellent beer and that one of those trips involved Oktoberfest. Those miles will come in handy carting the entire extended family to Tempe. Those points will help me put them somewhere!

Brief truths

A. A runner up coming out of Noblish is about as fine a thing as this game could ask for. Grats Uyphy!

B. There are few better feelings than watching someone’s LU spend several minutes beating the crap out of your hapless basher, hitting him at least 20 times, and then collapsing in exhaustion. Just as the BA gets his con train to “seemingly unaffected”. I actually emitted an involuntary evil chuckle.

C. More so than any other of my previous tourneys, I was struck by just how much the matchups drive your success or lack thereof. I ran into a rough patch during my read through, it was later in the read so probably apps or rooks, where my warriors were constantly matching with their stylistic nemesis. Warrior after warrior after warrior after warrior. In fairness, my PR TVs saw their fair share of STs/BAs.

10 things I think I think

1. I think I need to concede that my offensive warriors need a lighter weapon against lower armored opponents, even if the heavier weapon appears to be their favorite.
2. I think my LUs need a separate strategy for those who are likely to get the jump on them. And since that would require three strategies….
3. I think I am going to have to revisit my alternate strategies, particularly which styles. I have generally slowed down against the defensive warriors and I don’t think it is as easy as that. I’m also not sure that my current alt strats do a sufficient job of examining the needs of each of my warriors’ styles, let alone individual characteristics.
4. I think I am going to have to be more careful of dumping pre-saved, style-specific strats on warriors. In one instance, a warrior went in with a SH against plate. In another, a warrior trained ST for no good reason that I can ascertain. In another, and I don’t have the fight in front of me, my notes are “Why LS?”
5. I think we need a Tournament Champion Diversity / Inclusion policy. Very Happy
6. Coffeenerdness: There is a brand spanking new Starbucks in the Podunk town where I spend most of my time in Germany. First one in the town. As you might expect, the line -- excuse me, the queue -- is impressive. The primary thing they don’t have, which happens to be the primary thing I drink: Iced drinks. No iced coffee, no iced chai tea latte. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it will be a while before this Starbucks embraces these drinks because, well, that would require Europe to embrace ice.
7. Winenerdness: Good news, Caymus tastes just as good in Europe as it does in the US.
8. Obit of the Week: I’ve done a bang up job so far with a really nice size 3 rollup, rumored to be Howling Wolf’s most favouritest and a proven, multiple TC: [0-0-0,0,4FE], will fight Apprentices. He is a wall of steel with ST=17 CN=11(1) SZ=3 WT=13 WL=21 SP=7 DF=13. He is right handed, is bright, is slightly uncoordinated, has great endurance, can carry a good amount of weight, is incredibly quick and elusive, does great damage, and has an Advanced Expert in attack. Dead on round 1. Silver lining playbook: Dead apps.
9. I think DMob just runs nasty warriors, particularly WS and TPs, at least those are the styles which I found especially frightening this tourney. In one fight, my warrior broke all of his warrior’s weapons. It was a TP, I think. And it still took an additional 3 minutes to just barely put him away while my warrior was getting the crap punched out of him. It’s a great day when I squeak a win against one of his tourney entries.
10. Other things I think I think
a. I think I am beginning to see the merits of unarmed aimed blows
b. I think I need to explore the slash tactic more with my slashers. Kharadmon used it to beat Willie in Kansas City, albeit with his ST.
c. I think I am still doing a pretty mediocre job of spotting Charlie Sheen type winners. For the 5 living classes I called a warrior out before the tourney, here are the results: Champs: 5-3, Adepts: 2-3, Inits: 5-3, though honorable mention for calling someone as a runner up who went 11-3, Apps: 0-1-0-1, Rooks: 4-3 and 1-3
d. I think I am going to have to revisit my KD in tourneys. I counted at least 4 instances where a kill intent cost one of my warriors the fight.

Who I like in Tempe

I guess this is mostly prize dependent -- you know megas don’t throw their best at poser prizes! – and, while this list would mostly consist of other people’s warriors, I have a few that might cause some trouble in Tempe. My obvious favorite is the Big Easy’s shackmaster Willie, who ran the gauntlet to TC Inits and landed just shy of perfectly timed for Adepts. I’ll likely run him regardless just because it should be fun. Runner up would a 21/21 LU who did decently in rooks and landed timed for Apps.

Adieu Haiku

That’s my fall tourney
If this turbulence would stop
I might see Tempe
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Love your writing style, Vlad! Cool

Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vlad you freaking TV'd with THREE PR's this tourney?!?? (kneeling) May I touch the hem or your garment?? I must study at the feet of this new master ripper winner... Shocked Wink

I've been trying to get a single TV with rippers forever, granted with a limited roster/budget, but still. I've had one 7-3 and numerous 5-3/6-3's, but they always run into the buzzsaw of top-end aimers, lungers, and big-attack strikers in the upper rounds. Matchups do matter big-time that's for sure, but you must've been doing something right! what classes were they?

I've never been to Germany but no ice drinks over there surprises me not at all from what I've heard and read! Suffer through it! Crying or Very sad

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic