New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 104513

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 2018 April MI
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

- The freeze occurred this past weekend, much to my surprise.

- Minis are available upon request. Just send an email to Lee, Sandy, or CSR asking for a copy of your minis and they'll get them to you as soon as they can.

- With the freeze this past weekend, we can assume a tourney date of April 7.

- No announcement has been made, but some managers are predicting Clone/Twin as the prize, as it has been offered every 3 years in April like clockwork (in 2015, 2012, and 2009).
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

- Tourney date is confirmed to be the weekend of April 7-8.

- Prize is confirmed to be Clone/Twin.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice. I wish I could win that.

50 Blades of Grey DM-99
Miserable Men DM-99
Brony Cringe DM-99
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Forced Challenger Champion graduates were posted in newsletters recently:

Quote:
NEW GRADUATES--FROM ALL ARENAS (INCLUDING CLOSED ARENAS)

SEVENTH SON (1-9401) MANNEQUIN'S BEST (537)
DOMINATION (32-5232) ANGELS OF PAIN (360)
STARSCREAM (47-7419) DARQUE FORCES (396)
THE BOBSTER (82-1072) ODDITIES (184)
0001 (82-7927) JAN 2001 (1148)
0004 (82-7932) JAN 2001 2 (1149)
LAKES (82-22204) WAY OF THE BLADE ID (3522)
SUPPERMAN (82-48250) HUNGRY HEROES (8107)
GEMS (82-49984) 4 LETTER TREASURE (8402)
JACK MONTGOMERY (84-38004) MEDAL OF HONOR B7 (6651)
SKINNER (84-46102) XCOM BETA (7965)
PEPEROMIA PIZZA (85-2352) ADD SOME FLOWER (435)
WEBBED ZOMBIE (85-4040) MOM 'N DAD ZOMBIES? (735)
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My last strategies are in the mail to RSI.

This ended up being a big tourney for me, as I have been skipping the FtFs recently and had a bunch of basic stuff that I needed to either run or forget about. I chose to run them since they were timed.

Total entries: 71
Breakdown by tourney class: 5 Primus, 2 Contenders, 2 Eligibles, 2 ADM, 1 Freshman, 2 Challengers, 3 Champions, 1 Adept, 16 Initiates, 14 Apprentices, 23 Rookies
Breakdown by fighting style: 12 AB, 6 BA, 15 LU, 3 PL, 1 PR, 3 PS, 6 SL, 19 ST, 1 TP, 5 WS

When the tourney has started running one week from now, I'll post some info about my hopefuls. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of them, but perhaps I can get lucky in one of the lower basic classes if my few hopefuls don't pan out.

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming mail-in!
Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I, too, wound up with a larger tourney crew than expected. Much like the mountain streams run fast and deep in spring after the winter snows, my pipeline ballooned from a rather large influx of team sheets over the last year.

Entrants: 75, a tolerably round number given how I backed into it.

Classes: ADM: 3, Freshman: 1, Chall: 0, Champs: 1, Adepts: 7, Inits: 14, Apps: 12, Rooks: 37

Styles: AB: 14, BA: 6, LU: 11, PL: 5, PR: 9, PS: 4, SL: 6, ST: 9, TP: 6, WS: 5

Sizes: Four 3's, two 21's.

Total Skills: -3 to 183

Luck range: -3 to 16

Skills learned per FE (ignoring rooks, obviously): 0.6 to 3.6

Contrary to Bandit, my hopefuls are in the lower basic classes and I'll post more next weekend about those.

In the interim, good luck to everybody and here's hoping for a fun tourney!
Crambus
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Vladimer wrote:
I, too, wound up with a larger tourney crew than expected. Much like the mountain streams run fast and deep in spring after the winter snows, my pipeline ballooned from a rather large influx of team sheets over the last year.

Entrants: 75, a tolerably round number given how I backed into it.

Classes: ADM: 3, Freshman: 1, Chall: 0, Champs: 1, Adepts: 7, Inits: 14, Apps: 12, Rooks: 37

Styles: AB: 14, BA: 6, LU: 11, PL: 5, PR: 9, PS: 4, SL: 6, ST: 9, TP: 6, WS: 5

Sizes: Four 3's, two 21's.

Total Skills: -3 to 183

Luck range: -3 to 16

Skills learned per FE (ignoring rooks, obviously): 0.6 to 3.6

Contrary to Bandit, my hopefuls are in the lower basic classes and I'll post more next weekend about those.

In the interim, good luck to everybody and here's hoping for a fun tourney!

If you like blowing coin on tons of entries I'm have RSI charge my 10 entries to your account then. Thanks buddy, you're alright.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

2017 was a solid year for me, with a sprinkling of prizes and almosts, especially considering I didn't attend either FtF. The year began with an unexpected ADM TC from a sandbagger TP, SPARE ANCHOR, in January. April brought me an Initiaties RU with a SL, DELTA CANCRI, and a Fool's Inits TV with an AB, EPSILON SCUTI. In July, I had a SL graduate from the mail-in Bloodgames by the name of ETA ANDROMEDAE. Then finally in October, I had an AB named DUSKBLOOD PUDDING TC in Eligibles. Overall, it was a good year.

2018 is off to a bad start. I skipped the January FtF as work is busy during that time of year, and this time there were no good surprises. Out of 22 entrants, I managed 1 TV with a PR. I clearly have my work cut out for me if I'm going to get on the board in April. As I previously mentioned, I sent 71 total entrants for the mail-in, including a wealth of new Rookies and a backlog of Apprentices and Initiates.

It is now Sunday of tourney weekend, so it is safe to assume that the tourney is running, or at the very least that RSI isn't accepting any further strategy changes. That means it is safe to talk about my favorite warriors in the tourney!

--------------------

Freshmen

My best chance for a TC is probably in Freshmen, and I entered a single untested AB bust-out:

ZENSU LASAGNA (61-3728) of SHEWISH BUFFET (1562) [61-88-1,187,148FE], will fight Freshmen.
He is a aimed blow with ST=14(2) CN=12(5) SZ=8 WT=4(1) WL=21 SP=12 DF=21.
He is ambidextrous, is stupid, is relatively slow and inactive, is very highly coordinated, has great endurance, is very quick on his feet, does good damage, has an Advanced Expert in riposte, has a Master in attack, has a Master in parry, has an Advanced Expert in defense, has an Advanced Expert in decisiveness, favors the shortsword, favors a very low offensive effort, favors a very low activity level, and preferentially learns defense.

My best guess is that he was at 140 total skills at the time of the freeze. But without an Initiative rating, I couldn't be sure and he could conceivably be a few skills over that. Since I wasn't sure how he would be classed, I went for the ST train to 15 three turns out. It was a safe train that I wouldn't regret if he ended up classed ADM. He remained Freshmen for this tourney, so I followed that up with a WT train to 5 (picking up a Master in Defense), and then a WL train to 22 (picking up Tremendous endurance, as he is +2 endurance).

He is a largely unremarkable ADM project, but one that I was happy to put on maintenance and watch develop. With Defense favorite learn, he managed to learn 20 Attack and 19 Defense and remain Freshmen qualified. This is a rare feat for me. I would have preferred that he be more physical for this tourney, but you have to make sacrifices if you want to stay under the line sometimes. His rhythm is largely unusable, and his favorite weapon is substandard. His sole bonus (outside of endurance) is his ambidexterity.

He enters the tourney with 151 or more total skills. I have him training WL in rounds 1-5, and DF in rounds 6-10+. My expectation is that he'll get two WL trains and three DF trains by round 11, should he make it that long, which would put him at 173 total skills for the home stretch. If he lucks into a WL train to 25 early on or a DF train to 25 in the run-offs, that could put him even higher.

The strategy I gave him isn't too tricky. FI/10 AL/Dodge against offensives, SH/8 AL/no tactic vs defensives. The trouble with warriors like this is that they aren't really good until they are ready to bust, and I often don't take the time to give them a test run since an 8-3 TV could tip them over into the next higher class. So honestly, ZENSU LASAGNA could go 0-3, or he could go 13-0. I have no idea how he'll do, but I suspect he is my best individual chance at a TC.

Champions

I was pretty happy with my Champions crew, up until I heard what everyone else was entering. Now I'm not so excited. But I do have a solid trio of warriors entered in the class.

My best entry is DELTA CANCRI, who was runner-up in Initiates last April. He followed that up with a 9-3 Adepts TV:

DELTA CANCRI (51-5966) of CANCER (611) [8-2-0,94,30FE], will fight Champions.
He is a slasher with ST=12(1) CN=9 SZ=9 WT=21 WL=17 SP=10 DF=7.
He is ambidextrous, is a genius, is incredibly active, is slightly uncoordinated, can not take a lot of punishment, can not carry a lot of weight, is very quick on his feet, does good damage, has a Master in initiative, has an Expert in riposte, has a Master in attack, has an Advanced Expert in defense, and has a Master in decisiveness.

He is a rare Defense favorite learn Slasher who likes to use his Defense. During his Inits runner-up run, he did lots of dodging and riposting in desperation where I was running 9-6-5. I've continued using those numbers in desperation vs the field, in the hopes that I'm hitting favorites, and in minute 1 vs Strikers who I don't expect to get the jump on. He might have peaked in Initiates, but I'm excited to see how he does.

My other two entries have less of a pedigree, but are nice additions to Champs. One is a 12-10-7-17-9-8-21 AB, EPSILON SCUTI, who picked up a 7-2 Fool's Initiates TV last April. The other is a 12-7(1)-11-21-20-3-11 LU, HENCHMAN, who got his graduation notice this past turn to reveal EP, HI/VH, Att learn favorites. He has great learns, but has failed to TV so far in his career. Hopefully the use of favorites gives him the edge he needs to go the distance.

I'll probably end up being disappointed in this class, but I will be eagerly watching these three warriors' progress.

Rookies

Out of 23 Rookies, my two favorites are a SL and a ST. It is quite possible that neither will accomplish anything in Rookies, but I have high hopes for them in the future.

DELTA AURIGAE (3-7963) of AURIGA (709) [0-0-0,0,0FE], may fight Rookies.
He is a slasher with ST=11 CN=7 SZ=4 WT=21 WL=20 SP=14 DF=7.
He is right handed, is a genius, is incredibly quick and active, is very frail, can not carry a lot of weight, is incredibly quick and elusive, and has an Expert in decisiveness.

Not only did DELTA AURIGAE get the normal damage roll, but he came back +3 or +4 Dec. He is very similar to my recent Champs TC, FINGER SANDWICH, except that he also has the potential ADM level bust-out. His favorite learn may well mean the difference between basic success or not.

The Striker is a late addition to my crew, so I don't have the mini for him. GAMMA VOLANTIS is a 9-6-10-21-17-6-15 ST who rolled Great damage. This design is one point different from one of my very first TCs (9-5-11-21-17-6-15) and I couldn't ask for anything more than that sweet damage roll. He could easily do well in Rookies. Hopefully a bad favorite learn doesn't spoil his chances in the upper basic tournies.

The Rest

I have a smattering of long-shot chances in other classes.

CANNIBAL COOK, a FI AB with two prior TCs, will be competing in Contenders. His lack of augmentation seem to be catching up with him in this class. But he has "the stuff", so he could get lucky and go on a tear.

SPARE ANCHOR, my TP sandbagger, managed a 10-3 Eligibles TV last October, so he has the potential for a good run.

PULLED ORC, a crispy LU, is limping over the ADM line. He hit three trains prior to the tourney and is entering with 191 total skills, but I have little faith in him.

ORC TENDERLOIN, my Challengers SL, went 11-3 in October. His style will always be at a disadvantage in this class, but he is clearly capable of good things.

--------------------

Those are the highlights of my tourney crew. Numerous small chances to TC will hopefully add up to something big. If not, I'll be attending the FtF in July so I'll have another chance there.

Good luck to everyone in the tourney. I look forward to reading the results!
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:

Surely you have a better chance than the ones I have. Very Happy

50 Blades of Grey DM-99
Miserable Men DM-99
Brony Cringe DM-99
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
One Armed Bandit wrote:

Surely you have a better chance than the ones I have. Very Happy

Hey, a smattering is a good thing! What's the next class down?

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here’s a rundown of my major hopefuls in my April mailer crew:

ADM

I’m generally only running a few people for trains and FE. The vast, vast majority of my pipeline is still in basic or early freshmen. Ruff Ruff, my Champs TC, is technically over the ADM line but doesn’t have many trains and is not busting, so it will be interesting to see how he fares. He’s headed eventually for an eligibles bust:

RUFF RUFF (47-8860) of SPROUT OF MY MIND (1509) [12-11-0,95,48FE], will fight Adm. He is a lunger with ST=12(4) CN=12(4) SZ=5 WT=21 WL=21 SP=10 DF=11. He is a genius, is very quick and active, has great endurance, is incredibly quick and elusive, has a Master in initiative, has a Master in riposte, has an Advanced Master in attack, has an Advanced Expert in parry, has an Advanced Master in defense and has a Master in decisiveness.

Champions

As Bandit mentioned, this class is pretty dang scary based on entrants that have been posted in Chatzy. I’m hoping for a break even 3-3 record with my single entrant. If Willie weren’t still nursing his losses during the Adepts run, I would have entered him. But he looks to be a July entry, so…:

She is a lunger with ST=11(1) CN=14(2) SZ=9 WT=15 WL=21 SP=4 DF=13. She is intelligent, is slightly uncoordinated, has great endurance, can take a lot of damage, is incredibly quick and elusive, does good damage, has an Advanced Expert in initiative, has a Master in attack, and has a Master in defense. What I like about her is her learning curve. She has only been averaging just shy of 2 skills per FE but, at 15/6/15/1/14/1, they’re in all the right places.

Adepts

Speaking of Willie, my best shot at doing well in Adepts is from a LU who sat out Adepts in Tempe because I thought Willie was the better candidate. I didn’t see the sense of running both. But my first TC was in April a year ago with a similar LU so hope springs -- get it, springs in April -- eternal for a repeat:

He is a genius, is incredibly active, is clumsy, has a good endurance, cannot carry a lot of weight, is incredibly quick and elusive, has an Advanced Master in initiative, has an Expert in riposte, has an Advanced Expert in attack, has a Master in defense, and has an Expert in decisiveness. He’s averaging a very nice 3.41 skills / FE though not as well distributed as my champ above. This guy did, however, go deep in a previous mailer. He’s sitting at 128 skills going in. One item that may limit his chances is the normal endurance and damage. That said, my one and a half LU TCs (ask HW about the half) both did so with normal damage. As Otto likes to say, he does enough damage to take out a striker!

Also-rans in this category include the only ST I have managed to TV with (104 skills, Adex ATT, DEC, RIP and EX INI) and the only AB I have TV’d twice with (97 skills, MA ATT, ADEX DEF, EX RIP).

Inits

By now, you might be noticing a theme here. Once again, my best shot by far at excelling in this class is a lunger with a nice 3.15 skills / FE who weighs in at 99 total skills:

He is a genius, is quick and active, is clumsy, has a good endurance, is very frail, is incredibly quick and elusive, does good damage, has an Advanced Expert in initiative, has an Advanced Expert in attack, and has an Expert in defense.

No one else in this class has any true chops. Virtually all the entrants are just ones that have held their own in rooks or apps, coming in above .500 for which I am looking to take advantage of the favorable tourney learn percentage. I WILL say that I have a decent contingent of offensive hybrids and parry types here that I hope will help run interference for the LU, including 3 offensive TPs, two PRS, 1 PS and 1 PL. One fun ST at has ADEX DEC and EX INI and maybe has an outside chance at a TV.

Apps

I don’t have any LUs in this class, so it makes things tough for a single track manager! I’m hoping for two TVs I guess. After all, these are all peeps who didn’t do any better than 5-3 in rooks, so it’s hard to get excited. The two decent ones I have are an AB with Adex ATT/DEF learning just under 3.5 skills / FE and an otherwise unremarkable 9-12-8-21-15-8-11 ST who, on paper, should be good.

Rooks

Half my squad. A LOT of entrants here. Probably the best overall rooks squad I have entered. Sure, there are some “concept” peeps (more on that in a minute) but suffice it to say I had to work hard to get down to which warriors in each class to run. The ST’s are all 21/(13 – 17). The ABs are generally 17(+)/15(+)/x/21’s. The TPs are going to hurt some feelings. The PRs are modeled after those that I’ve TV’d with previously. For cryin’ out loud, I even have a 21/17 slasher!

Now to be clear, there’s some chaff. The PS’s and WS’s are afterthoughts. I didn’t even bother with PLs.

My picks for this class:

She is a striker with ST=17 CN=5 SZ=4 WT=21 WL=15 SP=9 DF=13. She is a genius, is quick and active, is very frail, is incredibly quick and elusive, and does good damage.

He is a total parry with ST=17 CN=17 SZ=3 WT=5 WL=21 SP=10 DF=11. He is stupid, is very slow, has tremendous endurance, can take a lot of damage, can carry a tremendous weight, is quick on his feet, and does good damage.

She is a parry-riposte with ST=17 CN=14 SZ=4 WT=17 WL=7 SP=10 DF=15. She is very intelligent, is very quick, has poor endurance, can carry a good amount of weight, is very quick on her feet, and does good damage.

Concepts

Sprinkled or littered – depending upon your outlook – throughout my squad are warriors I run because I want to try something out. These would include, in no particular order:

Sandbaggers: Heavy physicals, high will guys I don’t intend to run in the arena. Most of my PLs fit into this bucket.

Plate armored FI ABs: These guys have annoyed the crap out of me when I run into them, so seeing if I can imitate: For example, She is an aimed blow with ST=15 CN=15 SZ=7 WT=15 WL=7 SP=10 DF=15.

QS wielding BAs: Designed specifically to use just the QS due to its speed. He is a basher with ST=11 CN=4 SZ=14 WT=17 WL=17 SP=10 DF=11.

21 ST TPs: Hybrid TPs intended to have enough PAR / ATT due to the ST to not only get a swing in on the offensives but do enough damage on the defensives to take out scum. For example: She is a total parry with ST=21 CN=10 SZ=12 WT=17 WL=7 SP=6 DF=11. She is right handed, is very intelligent, is slightly uncoordinated, has poor endurance, can carry a good amount of weight, is quick on her feet, does awesome damage, and has an Expert in parry.

Speed ABs: She is an aimed blow with ST=7 CN=5 SZ=8 WT=7 WL=17 SP=19 DF=21.

Jalone-eqsue ABs: Born with a SC in their off-hand! This one went 4-3 in rooks: He is a aimed blow with ST=12 CN=3 SZ=8 WT=7 WL=21 SP=12 DF=21.

So, that’s the rundown on my crew. My gut tells me no TC’s, but I’m still at the stage where I get really excited when people go deep. And I hope I have enough decent guys to see one or two do that. Overall goals: Greater than .500 win percentage and the mythical 10% TV achievement, which would mean 7.5 TVs. Confused I hit 8.8% in Tempe, so maybe… just maybe. Hope everyone enjoys their tourney!
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would love spoilers from any that get results before me. PM either here or on Chatzy or even email (ronald.unity.tx@gmail.com) is greatly appreciated.

My warriors are:

NUN DEAD (21-8901) of BEN'S BAZAAR will fight Initiates

MONSTROSITY (21-8762) of BEN'S BAZAAR will fight Champions

BLUF-Y (32-6805) of SECRET SQUIRRELS will fight Initiates

GO GO COMMANDO (32-6774) of SECRET SQUIRRELS
will fight Initiates

SEMPER FIDELIS (32-6756) of SECRET SQUIRRELS will fight Adepts

LORD OF BARKNESS (65-7622) of REIGNNCATSNDOGS will fight Apprentices

Thank you

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Vladimer wrote:

She is a striker with ST=17 CN=5 SZ=4 WT=21 WL=15 SP=9 DF=13. She is a genius, is quick and active, is very frail, is incredibly quick and elusive, and does good damage.

Hey, I got this one too.. mine got Great damage, and he's gone 7-3-0 in all 3 tourneys I've entered him in so far.

One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This prize clarification was posted in today's newsletter updates:

Quote:
TOURNAMENT PRIZE CLARIFICATION: SPRING 2018 MAIL-IN

The prize for this most recent tournament was a Clone / Twin prize:

One potion, which when applied on any Natural Warrior, dead or alive, which will either make a Clone or Twin of that warrior at birth. A clone is one exact copy of the warrior; a Twin may be a different style and will be rolled ten times and the best shall be chosen. The new warrior may be added to any team. A Natural Warrior is defined as a warrior that was not created with the use or a prize, nor has ever had a prize used on it at any time in the past. Warriors may be cloned only once by their own manager, and once by another. The owner of the warrior that is cloned or twinned must give permission. Please remember, you must use all prizes within six months of the tourney when they were won.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic