New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 2019 Tempe FTF
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Verbally confirmed to me from Lee yesterday
Jan 18-Jan 20 MLK w/e as expected

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:

I hope so cause my flights are booked. Would really suck if they changed the weekend now.

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Madwand wrote:
The Consortium wrote:

I hope so cause my flights are booked. Would really suck if they changed the weekend now.

Well, me too, since my flight ticket is also bought and paid for.
See you there.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I took the red-eye back from Tempe on Sunday night to Monday morning, and now I'm having trouble getting to sleep on Monday night. If there is a cure for insomnia, it is an OAB tourney report.

I had reviewed my prior FtF performances and I had done routinely terrible in basic, while doing frequently great in ADM. So I decided to go heavy in the ADM classes and light in the basic classes this time around. My ADM crew is somewhat luck dependent, though, as I have a number of warriors who try for 50% trains (or worse) and only bust if they hit that first train. This time around, I missed trains with an AB and a SL in ADM (leaving me with ST and PL bust-outs) and missed with an AB and a ST in Freshmen (leaving me with a solitary WS bust-out). So while I had intended to send a strong force in lower-ADM, I ended up with a collection of misfits and cast-offs.

The Numbers

Total entries: 55
Broken down by class: 8 Primus, 8 Contenders, 4 Eligibles, 5 ADM, 2 Freshmen, 4 Challengers, 1 Champion, 2 Adepts, 7 Initiates, 7 Apprentices, and 7 Rookies
Broken down by fighting style: 11 AB, 9 LU, 6 BA, 6 SL, 6 ST, 4 PL, 4 TP, 3 PR, 3 PS, and 3 WS.

So my plan of strong ADM/weak Basic was foiled by missed trains and some bad classifications in the ADM classes. I ended up with weak all-around. Out of 55 entries, I managed 3 awards and a 132-170-3-3 record for a 44% win/loss and a 5% award percentage. It was, in other words, my worst tourney in ages.

My Best Bust-out

I had a PL in ADM hit a 50% train to 21 WL to begin his bust-out, then followed it up with a DF train to 13 and a WT train to 22. He looked like this prior to the freeze (with 177 total skills):

USURPER (46-4447) of DUNGEON CELL (6815) [54-35-1,210,105FE], will fight Adm.
He is a parry-lunge with ST=17(7) CN=22(6) SZ=5 WT=21 WL=20(3) SP=6(2) DF=12(1).
He is ambidextrous, is a genius, is slightly uncoordinated, has tremendous endurance, can take tremendous amounts of damage, can carry a tremendous weight, is incredibly quick and elusive, does good damage, has a Master in initiative, has a Master in riposte, has an Advanced Master in attack, has a Master in parry, has a Master in defense, has an Advanced Expert in decisiveness, favors the longsword, favors a low offensive effort, favors a moderate activity level, uses the dodge tactic well, and preferentially learns riposte.

He managed an 11-3 Apprentices TV early in his career, so I thought that he might have something special. Its so rare that I get a PL TV anywhere, that I figured he deserved a shot at a bust-out. After training WL to 21, DF to 13, and WT to 22, he entered the tourney with 192 total skills.

He got off to a strong start and looked good in his fights. Along the way he trained WT to 23, WT to 24, SP to 7, WT to 25, and DF to 14. That put him at 210 total skills, which is outstanding training for 7 rounds. At 6-1, I was feeling pretty optimistic about him. While his GOOD damage was not ideal, he had strong physicals in other places and his bust was going great.

His next round opponent was TUM's EERIEST EXPECTATION, a ST who recently TC'd Freshmen and was sandbagging ADM. I figured that I had at least a 30 skill edge on that warrior. Plus, he was a Striker, and I was a Rip favorite learn Dodge tactic using Parry-Lunge. The advantage was clearly mine.

I had fought EERIEST EXPECTATION earlier in the day, and I reviewed the fight to see him using a SC and getting a lot of hits on the arms. So I made sure I had my ASM strapped on and protected the AM.

"The battle begins amid the crowd's approval.

EERIEST EXPECTATION leaps to its left!
The Ratani fighter makes a brilliant twisting thrust with its SCIMITAR!
USURPER is wounded in his RIGHT BICEPS!
What a massive blow!
USURPER grunts and continues fighting.
The Convincian is severely hurt!!
He begins to panic and fight desperately!
EERIEST EXPECTATION lunges forward wielding a SCIMITAR!
USURPER is struck on the RIGHT ARM!
EERIEST EXPECTATION warns, 'This is your last chance to give up.'
It is a terrific blow!
USURPER is dangerously stunned!
EERIEST EXPECTATION says, 'And that is how a real warrior fights. Pay attention next time.'
USURPER compliments his victorious foe on a good fight.
EERIEST EXPECTATION has won the duel!"

And that is how a real warrior fights.

Another loss in round 9 sent my best performing bust-out out of the tourney at 6-3.

My Best Performance

I recently got a Dead Initiates TV in DM 43, looked through my files for the overviews for the rest of the team, and found nothing. I had to ask for full overviews, skill checks, and a bad replacement for the empty spot from Lee and Sandy.

One of the warriors on that team was this guy:

SPYMUSTARD (43-4972) of SHEWISH BANQUET (481) [1-1-0,15,4FE], will fight Apprentices.
He is a slasher with ST=6 CN=10 SZ=13 WT=17 WL=21 SP=12 DF=5.
He is ambidextrous, is very intelligent, is very active, is slightly uncoordinated, can carry very little weight, is very quick on his feet, does good damage, has an Advanced Expert in initiative, and has an Expert in decisiveness.

He is one ugly design, but the overview and skill check revealed a +3 Ini, a +2 to +5 in Attack, and a +3 or +4 in Decise. Since he was already at 4 FE and I was reactivating another warrior on the team, I figured "why not throw him into the tourney?" He was part of the last five entries that brought me from 50 to 55.

He had the dubious distinction of being the Slasher stylemaster on round 1 of Apprentices, thus insuring that anyone besides the most lazy managers would know his style ahead of time. He took a loss in round 2, but then went on a hot streak and won his next 7 matches to get to 8-1 and guarantee me at least one TV. Along the way, he learned well, concentrating his learns in equal parts Ini, Att, and Dec and confirming that he was +5 Att and +3 Dec. Everything a growing Slasher needs. He looked great with the SH, which was lucky, since that was all he could use without taking a penalty. Even a loss in round 10 to the 529th Robert Paulson (this one a ST) didn't sour my mood on this warrior.

In Round 11, SPYMUSTARD was matched up with a 9-1-2 WS. That can't be a good match-up. Two SH crits and a knockdown made the rest of the fight a formality.

In Round 12, SPYMUSTARD faced off against a 10-1 LU. That can't be a good match-up either. SPYMUSTARD missed 8 times in minute 1, but the 9th was a doozy. A SH crit to the head knocked the LU down and despite getting tired in minute 2, he was able to finish the job.

In Round 13, SPYMUSTARD squared off against a 10-2 ST. Are there any good match-ups for a Slasher? SPYMUSTARD got the jump and the match.

Then came round 14. There were 6 warriors left and my last remaining warrior was matched up against my table-mate Assur's last remaining warrior. This time, SPYMUSTARD was facing a TP named REPAIR. 8 attacks in minute 1 (3 crits) resulted in 2 hits. 5 more attacks in minute 2 (3 crits) results in 2 more hits and REPAIR going desperate. Then SPYMUSTARD ran out of gas and gave up the initiative. REPAIR attacked twice and hit twice with his SC. SPYMUSTARD took the initiative back and made one last try at winning, but REPAIR was able to parry, riposte, and SC crit to end the fight.

And thus ended SPYMUSTARD's improbable 11-3 TV run.

Better Luck Next Time

That is now two tournies in a row where I failed to achieve an ADM-level TV and my best performances were in Apprentices and the surrounding classes. Go figure.

I saved my best basic warriors, such as they are, for April. Hopefully I can make a dent in the ADM classes once again, too.

Congrats to TMM and TUM for their outstanding tournies, winning 4 and 3 TCs respectively. Congrats to HW and Khisanth for their ADM-level TCs from afar, proxied by Malaquar and Mannequin. The final two TCs were extra special. Studcraft won his first ever TC, and Kharadmon won his first FtF TC. It is nice to see new faces sitting in the finals chairs and walking away smiling.

Congrats also to all the Bloodgames winners, which include Anarchist, Otto X, Khorvinus and my table-mate, Madwand. I was unable to identify the two other BG winners by their team names, but I'm sure they are pleased with their results.

I look forward to matching up with all of you in the April MI. And after my recent performances, I bet that everyone is looking forward to matching up with me as well!
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Unlike OABs fine synopsis, mine will be short.

(I , too, returned home on a red-eye and had NO trouble sleeping. It pays to be old, OAB?)

Mediocrity sucks! Crying or Very sad

Entered 55 (with 3 Crapmaster entries)
1 Primus (trying to get my former Contender better prepared for KOP)
1 Freshman , was supposed to fight Challengers, but graduated last minute and I was too lazy to remove him>.
They both were ophers. (Smooth move, Consortium, you dolt!)
The rest of the crew was reasonably evenly spaced in basic, and did OK, but with only 3 TVs.
TVs in Rookies and Apprentices - AB, LU, TP
Overall 53% w/l. (Unacceptable! Fire the worthless manager!)

Favorite moments:
1. Great tablemates in mannequin, Buri, Papaiz,.
2. Watching a youngster win his first TC. AWESOME.
3. Laughing at Mannequin's visit with the ASU Women's Golf Team

least Favorite Moments:
1. Learning Charlotte is likely out for the summer FTF. (and FL is likely)
2. Seeing all the growing old men in the room, and thinking I am just as young as they are.

Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vlad here with the Monday Morning Tourney Quarterback (MMTQB). Having finally digested and re-reviewed my tourney team’s performance, almost four weeks later I am still not sure how I feel about the results. By one solid objective measure, it was my most successful ever. By other, more subjective measures, balls were suckled and deuces dropped. I spent a good amount of time reviewing all the fights and thinking through things I heard in Tempe. One of the fun parts of game is that there are always different perspectives that people take, often with respect to the same issue. Let’s go to the tape!

Awards of the week

I sent a total of 65 live warriors, then added 3 Crapmaster scrubs, and finally, under protest, yielded to Trump’s stern command to enter a FTF Bloodgames team. Ignoring the latter two groups which, frankly, is probably for the best, 56 of the 65 came back in one fashion or another. Nine of them didn’t come back at all but more on that later. Five winless souls came back with coupons for free drinks at the Embassy Suites Happy Hour (See, because, … never mind). Similarly, five others received coupons for a free 4 topping pizza from TUM’s 4 Letter Piza™ for achieving Tournament Victor status. Sadly, none of my warriors earned the coveted Tournament Champion award: an autographed John “Round ‘em up!” Ashcroft Bullwhip™. I did have a warrior come in third after getting demolished by the two TUM finalists in a such a fashion that, like the Saints – Rams game, made it clear there was an Arenamaster agenda in play for the finals!

By every conceivable measure, I solidly missed the Cool Manager litmus test of 10% awards. The five TV’s consisted of 3 strikers and two aimed blows, giving credence to the Floyd Theory of Tournament Victor Optimization™ which, when explained to the layman, is Run More Strikers. I had four warriors come back at 7-3. Unlike past tournaments, where an example would made, these were all solid warriors and I was excited to have them come so close. This may be influenced by the fact that my best finish was 9 wins and thus these weren’t very far off. It may also be influenced by two of the four being pretty nice OTPs that I am just beginning to experiment with. Or I am just getting soft…

Stats of the week

As I mentioned, by a very straight-forward, objective measure I had the most successful tourney ever. When the dust was settled, the votes recounted, the replays replayed and the 1 a.m. risky refill requests refused by the Craft bartender, the crew landed at 216-183-5-9, or 54.14%. This is about 150 basis points higher than my previous best at the July FTF in DC. There’s a likely causal affect here: I was more selective. I took a much more critical look at who would get the nod to be part of the crew. One easy example: While other managers may have no problem succeeding with poor endurance, good damage offensives, my record with them is rather abysmal. And, much like the 17 wit / will warriors I have run (and commented on in the forums, to the amusement of Chatzy veterans), the data I have supports the idea that I minimize them on the roster. I ran a total of two P/G offensives. The first was my TC striker who was obviously an anomaly and outlier and is now a dead anomaly and outlier. The second was a perfectly reasonable, bonused 15-5-7-21-11-14-11 P/G ST that had, oddly, gone winless in rooks. Well, guess what. He went winless in apps as well. Quod erat demonstratum.

No ADM warriors were harmed in the generation of these stats because I didn’t run any:

Best class(es): Much like Halloween, Adepts was good to me at 61%. Champs was a close second at 58%.

Worst class(es): My single TWIX Challenger went 2-3, so technically 40%. Rookies came in a smoke’s weight short of 50% but achieved it by rounding.

Best style(s): Parry Riposte at 69%. The sample size is pretty small there, so alternatively TP’s made the magic happen at 59%. The vast majority of these wins were from my new efforts at offensive TPs so, thanks DMobster!

Worst style: Bashers at 16-22 or 46%. This is my shocked face. Shocked On a personal note, from my entire sixty-five warrior roster, Jerman called out a single warrior pre-tourney. A perfectly reasonable Poor / Tremendous rookie BA at 11 DEC, 10 ATT and 15 INI. Boom went the dynamite: 0-1-0-1.

Quotes of the week

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity…” – Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

It was a tale of two Aimed Blows. One, a 21-17-x-21 stat switch stud, the other a sham of a scrub of a mockery of a Jalon at 13-13-9-7-17-4-21. One a champ, one a rookie. One was my favorite for the entire tourney to TC, the other someone who had been passed over numerous times before finally getting the nod this tourney just to get them off the “Future Tourney” list. One learned 17 skills, with just 1 ATT and 1 DEF, during their run, the other learned 4 skills, three of which were ATT. Both went 9-3.

“It’s great you bought a beer, but do you have to make people cry?” – The Chef

This stopped me short. Walking out of the Craft bar with aforementioned beer in hand, I was obviously the target of this comment even though I was walking away. I turned to study the gentleman who was approaching from the general direction of both the remark and the conference room on the lower floor. Short cropped hair, thin nose, some form of goatee or perhaps bearded, and the hint of a smirk upon his lips. Say, like me. Oh, and a chef’s apron. I hoped my look of bemused puzzlement would deter the knife attack or whatever this lunatic had in mind. The fight-or-flight adrenal gland was working overtime as he approached me. Ultimately, he stopped and, with the same grin, pointed at my shirt which read “I’m just here to sell onions” – Steven Brust. Well played, Sir Chef. Well played. Thank the gods you didn’t see Den’s shirt!

“Let me tell you, the free ones tasted better” – Kharadmon

One thing I resolved to do better following this tourney is to yank my promising rookies and, in some cases apps, out of Shadowspire before timing them in the arena. I’ve historically had a bad habit about running them in DM85 at which point moving them is not an option. The goal here is to dump them in smaller arenas that a) would provide more opportunities for free fights and b) not get them run over by the FE monsters that lurk in the Shadowspire depths.

“Take THAT to the face” – Dr. F

BoV is a big fan of Karma with a capital K. In my summary of the summer DC face, I wrote: “Of course, it is particularly pleasing to send someone who achieved a TV or two to meet their makers. Runoff Bonus!” Well, that came back to bite me as my Apps TC Striker was slaughtered by TUM’s Mandarin Rain on Round 11. Insult to injury, I had a chance to avenge the death in Round 12 but Mandarin Pain put down my AB like a chump to finish 3rd.

“Is 7 DEC enough for rooks?”

While not strictly overheard in Tempe, this was a note I made regarding in the tracker for one of my rookies, a poor endurance / great damage ST. One formula I’ve seen (and adopted in some fashion) on Chatzy, courtesy of Otto X if I recall, is that a rookie ST should have base ATT / DEC add up to a minimum of 17 or 18 (I forget exactly which). In this instance, my ST had only 7 DEC but 11 ATT. So, while he technically met the criteria, it remained a valid question as to whether that combination of 18 made sense. Dead, round 1, so my vote would be “No.” to this question.*

* This is not intended as a hard, fast rule or guidance regarding a minimum of W base in X skill with Y style to achieve success in Z class, because people get twisted panties when that concept is bandied about. Your mileage may vary, objects in mirror are closer than they appear, please see website for details, do not attempt, professional speculator on closed course, always obey speed limits, please consult a physician if you have an erection lasting more than four hours.

“You know what I would have done. I would have gone to the Infirmary and finished the job.” -- Trump

I played the FTF Bloodgames in Tempe. It was my first Bloodgames – excepting the arena version – since my first Tempe Face back in 2017 which, for me anyway, wasn’t a great experience. As I recall, there were technical issues that time so the FTF BGs came all at once. This year, Trump had the misfortune to be sitting next to me as I groused about my BG performance over the first few rounds until I stopped worrying about them. My guys had no problem dying but they sure had problems killing. My warriors weren’t winning very often but, man, when they did, everyone was going to the infirmary. And their infirmary seemed to have Scrubs’ JD, Doogie Howser, Hawkeye Pierce, House, Dr. Doug Ross or someone similar because they rarely lost a patient.

“You got something figured out, you just don’t know what it is. You don’t know what you know.” Dr. F.

I convinced myself that my use of the Decise tactic in minute 1 was impeding the initiative of my Strikers so I began dropping it against offensive styles they weren’t likely to lose the jump on (Read: LUs / ABs). This tourney, my ST’s got jumped by an appalling number of LUs and ABs. I’ll need to look into this.

“I made a mistake I make every 5 years or so - which was I ran the "run someday" rookies that had built up into a pile...” – theDarkOne

Apparently, this was my five-year mark, because I found myself doing largely the same thing this tourney. I gave a shot to a decent number of warriors from the Junior Varsity squad that had been passed over previously and my rooks performance dropped roughly 10% from the Washington, DC face.

“Please keep me relevant!” -- Papaiz, deep into rooks

I found this incredibly apropos. Isn’t this what we all feel, reading through each round? Well, maybe not the Megas.

“You got served!” – Various

Like Ciara on stage, Tyga or Chris Brown on their birthday, or Warren Sapp at a fan event, my stat switch warrior who was furthest along in his development got slapped with Isle of The Eye ™ Service of Graduation Process before he could even hit the locker room following his last tourney loss to some stupid hobbit in Round 6. The hopes for an immortal challengers run were accordingly dashed.

Finally, some quotes that defy further elaboration or commentary:

“You’re going to want to give that up.” – TUM, in response to Trump saying he had a sweet spot for Parry Strikers.

“Moonshine and blueberry Jolly Ranchers!” – Kharadmon

Factoids that may only interest me

I. My Winless Warriors percentage, like a rapper’s pants, dropped precipitously. This was good to see. It had skyrocketed to 34% in October. It was back down to an acceptable 12% in Tempe. Speaking of precipitous drops, three of the eight winless warriors were, like a prom dress, off early, heading directly to the morgue at 0-1-0-1.

II. Through 12 rounds of rookies, I only had 3 winning ones. Out of all those rounds, only two had more than 1 fight differential between wins and losses. This is a marked contrast to July’s FTF and probably a true reflection of my middling rookie crew.

III. I’ve always preached that RIP learns are for losers much like payday loans are for the desperate and “but wait, there’s more” TV products for $19.95 (just pay shipping and handling), the clueless. Well, I finally looked. I may need to revisit my car-title loan stance because, shazam, my crew learned 48 RIP skills when winning and only 36 when losing. Mind. Blown.

Mr. United Global Services Member Travel Note

Just because you CAN travel with a duffel, doesn’t mean you SHOULD travel with a duffel.

Brief truths

A. Studcraft sitting in the chair and winning a final fight read by Deeders was hands down my favorite moment from the tourney. Having my tablemate Kharadmon, with whom I had the pleasure of sharing a final at my last Tempe Face, sitting in the chair again and, this time, winning his own first FTF finals was icing on the Tempe cake.

B. The FTF was not quite the same without Howlin' Wolf, though the Right Honorable Baron Bentsword and Malaquar were great as always. I wondered how Howlin would handle the need to be proxied. When, very early Saturday morning, I noticed Malaquar taking a bunch of pictures on his phone at, well, an odd angle for a selfie or whatever. I mentally shrugged it off; in fairness, I was still waking up. However, I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I finally clued in to the fact that he was actually very diligently taking a photo of every page of every fight and texting it to HW.

C. I need to find more opportunities to drink with the extended AA family. Wait, let me say that differently… Cool

10 things I think I think

1. I think I will stop running 3 DF warriors in tourneys, no matter how good the rest of their stats are.

2. I think I enjoyed my first grudge matches.

3. I think it was very wise to send my entire untimed Turf War team to the tourney for extra FE, until two of the five came home in body bags and one was force graduated, at which point it was a really, really stupid idea.

4. I think it is always a thrill to see your tourney warrior learn three skills in a fight. I think it doesn’t happen very often but I think it happens way more often than my arena warriors learn six skills.

5. I think losing your spiffy double-21, back-from-dead AB at 4-1 in the tourney is like a punch in the gut. I think I am stating the obvious here.

6. I think the next time One Armed Bandit shows up to a tourney without his Attack Dice I am going to thank him. I think I don’t have the same success with 20 WT warriors as he does. I think, now that I think about it, the 20 WT qualifier on that sentence is superfluous.

7. I think I am going to incorporate a minimum skills learned / fight experience gate for any basic classes above Initiates.

8. I think, thanks to Jerman’s tracker, I was able to start accounting for my opponents’ styles much, much earlier than in previous tourneys. I think this had a significant impact on my W/L, even when I was feverishly managing myself out of wins because I knew the opponent style. I think running about 10-20 fewer warriors also helped.

9. I think successful use of the responsiveness tactic is so much more gratifying than other tactics. I think I’m in some small way, somewhere really deep inside me, a teensy, little sorry about Howlin' Wolf's Chipped Beef. I think I may be overstating that.

10. Other things I think I think

a. I think I can’t yet bring myself to relegate a 12-9-7-17-21-7-11 LU to basic or even think the word “retire” just because he is primarily an INI learner.

b. I think I have developed a healthy disgust for Dr. F. Parry Ripostes.

c. I think I like that 21 WT STs are a dime a dozen, because it barely hurts when one dies on Rd 1 rooks.

d. I think Deeders and Mrs. Deeders make a mean Dirty Deeders’ Mimosa ™ .

e. I think I benefited tremendously from sitting with Trump and Kharadmon.

f. I think the difference between a Mega and me is that a Mega’s clone wins rooks whereas my clone goes 0-3.

g. I think your tourney fortunes can change in an instant. I think this was demonstrated to me when, coming off a 7-1 round 5 in Adepts, I dove headlong into a 1-7-0-2 Rd 6.

h. I think I had a couple of folks from each class I entered going well into the second day. I think I am not sure what, if anything, this necessarily signifies but I think I like it.

i. I think whoever said “APA will make up for a lot of managerial skill” was spot on. I think my two APA / APM OTPs both went 7-3. I think my ALE OTP went 1-3.

j. Coffeenerdness: Getting my Starbucks in Tempe is a bit reminiscent of when I was a kid playing Frogger.

k. I think Det. Noddy slaughtering Assur’s Arranged of Bash Bros Marriage was right and proper because arranged marriages. I think Who’s Your Daddy? defeating Angry Step Dad was deliciously ironic.

l. Obit of the Week: The loss of that just-back-from-the-dead AB was painful, but I think this award has to go to the 17-9-7-21-10(1)-10-11 TC striker who Obit-it in Rd 11 of Champs.

m. I think I saw more 17 and 21 WT warriors not managing a single skill during a fight this tourney. I think stat trains fell into the same categories as last tourney, e.g. unsuccessful or successful with no bump, with more of the latter.

n. I think it took me a long time to get this report posted. I think the sense of “lateness” was exacerbated by OAB posting his before the tourney even ended.

Who I like in April

Unless she gets pulled, I have to continue to root for Maya.

Adieu Haiku

Megas dominate
But three great “Newbie” TCs
Rabid, fun Rams fans!
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well done, Vlad.
A great read as always.
(Maybe larger than usual, but was necessary to make up for the lateness.) Wink

Philthball
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nice read, Vlad. And yes, you should drink with ANY AA member, we are all much more fun, while imbibing spirits of the fermented kind.

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great read, Vlad! I had forgotten about the infirmary and literally almost dying for a cup of Starbucks coffee.

I also recall The Consortium lighting up the room Clemson Orange, Dr F being quick with a clever quip (usually when I didn't realize he was listening), wondering who Presstoe was when he showed up Day 2, and encouraging you to give Papaiz bad advice so he'd stop asking for styles (I was mostly kidding!).

Oh yeah! And submitting all my warriors styles to The Database on Friday night, then you refusing to give me your warrior's style when we matched up. That was a Gangster move befitting a Jhereg. 😃

Trump
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We cannot believe he did that to you, Mr. Trump! What a cad.
Shocked Shocked

Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

God forbid our nation's leader open the file I sent him pre-tourney with the entire crew's styles, stats, trains, luck values, ratings, preferences in wine... Rolling Eyes
DonaldTrump
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vladimer wrote:
God forbid our nation's leader open the file I sent him pre-tourney with the entire crew's styles, stats, trains, luck values, ratings, preferences in wine... Rolling Eyes

Oh please, Vladimir -- Everyone knows I don't read. Very Happy
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic