New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 104513

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 2019 Spring Mail-In
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Word has arrived from RSI:

The Spring MI will be held on April 13, 2019.

This makes the likely ADM Freeze date March 2. There is no basic freeze; a basic warrior fights according to his FE on the date of the tourney.

The prize is not known and probably won't be revealed until one month before the tourney, as is the custom of RSI. Oddsmakers across Alastari have made DYO With 5 Rolls the early favorite (last offered 6 years ago). But gamblers have made long-shot bets on the unpopular Super Team (last offered 9 years ago), on the utilitarian 10 Skill Learns (wasn't that due for the last FtF?), and on something never-before-seen.

What will the prize be? Who will be the biggest fool? Stay tuned! Remember, nothing is certain beyond death, taxes, and TMM winning Primus!
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What?! We are having ANOTHER Mailer?

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The ADM Freeze should be this coming weekend.

If you would like to receive post-freeze minis by email, you need to send an email to RSI and request to be put on the list. Those mini-overviews generally go out on the Monday after freeze weekend.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The ADM Freeze has froze. Electronic minis have been emailed. Paper mini-overviews and ADM Arena Selection sheets have begun showing up with regular turns. In addition, the tourney announcement has gone out. Vlad is the first to report receiving a tourney announcement. Thanks to him for passing it along.

According to Olaf Modeen and Debby Tonte:

Quote:
"The managers will be happy. Happy managers are good. They give the best parties. They like the prizes. What's the prize this time?"

"Design Your Own. Best one of five, manager's choice."

The body of the tourney announcement offers slightly contradictory information, suggesting it is only 3 rolls. But since it was 5 rolls the last time it was offered, I would bet on that.

Quote:
And for this tournament only, winning means an opportunity that ranks as every guild master's greatest dream: The chance to design a warrior, completely from scratch, allocating all eighty-four points exactly as desired! Further, this warrior will be [rolled] three times, and you may choose the best warrior to join any team. Please remember, you must use all prizes within six months of the tourney when they were won.

In addition to a DYO warrior with 5 rolls for the manager of each TC, the 9 stylemasters in Primus who don't TC will earn their managers a +1 bonus potion which can be used on any warrior in Primus of the same style.

Quote:
In addition, one bonus skill potion will be awarded to the manager of each of the Stylemasters in the Primus tournament. This bonus potion must be used on a Primus warrior of the same style, within six months.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, as we have come to expect from the April MI, there will be a loser's bracket in Rookies through Eligibles for every warrior that begins the tournament 0-2:

Quote:
The winners of all BADD tournaments will also be declared Tournament Victors.

Good luck to everyone, especially the BADD warriors! I'm sure I'll be entering my fair share of them...
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tourney strategies are due in a little less than 2 weeks. I put mine into a Priority Mailer yesterday and they are making their way to RSI headquarters.

After disappointing results in the past two tournaments that included zero ADM level TVs, poor win/loss records, and zero living TCs (the one bright spot being a Dead Initiates TC in October), I am determined to do better in the April MI. Couple this with the fact that I’m doubtful to make the Tampa FtF this summer, and it is a recipe for overcompensation.

Total entries: 94
Breakdown by style: 29 AB, 6 BA, 15 LU, 2 PL, 4 PR, 3 PS, 8 SL, 15 ST, 7 TP, 5 WS
Breakdown by class: 8 Primus, 7 Contenders, 3 Eligibles, 8 ADM, 7 Freshmen, 4 Challengers, 4 Champions, 7 Adepts, 5 Initiates, 16 Apprentices, 25 Rookies

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming tourney!
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good luck to everyone.

50 Blades of Grey DM-99
Miserable Men DM-99
Brony Cringe DM-99
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I suppose I should start thinking about whether or not to send anybody... I could easily miss this one, but it's like the lottery, you can't win if you don't enter!

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
Also, as we have come to expect from the April MI, there will be a loser's bracket in Rookies through Eligibles for every warrior that begins the tournament 0-2:

Quote:
The winners of all BADD tournaments will also be declared Tournament Victors.

Good luck to everyone, especially the BADD warriors! I'm sure I'll be entering my fair share of them...

We are sending 25 or so - all immortal - all offensive (espcially to us when they go 0-2) from arenas. We expect to rival OAB for positions in the BADD tournament, even though he is sending four times as many. (Our results will fit in one envelope.)

Good luck to all and curses to those who kill our lovely children!

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Amending the above to
"all mortal" (not immortal)

One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The due date for the tourney is today (although RSI will usually still accept strategies for the next couple of days).

Fire up those fax machines...
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is Sunday afternoon of tourney weekend, and Lee has confirmed that the tourney is running.

With 94 entries, I’m hoping that I have plenty of long-shot chances at reaching the finals. Unfortunately, after banging my head against the wall in the past few tournies with PL, WS, SL, and ST bust-outs, this tourney is looking like the all-AB edition of the OAB tourney write-up. I’m still running all 10 styles and have plenty of non-ABs percolating, but none were quite ready this tourney. Hopefully I’ll have more style diversity on display in October.

While not a TC contender, I’m excited to read the results of my top AB in Primus. SNAKE OIL SALESMAN of DUNGEON CELL 97 is fresh off of leading my King of Primus team to a 3rd place finish and a brief stint as #1 in the Primus arena. I used two of the 0.5 favorites potions from KoP match wins to determine his exact OE and AL, which has shaped my strategy for this tourney. Will that tip the scales and push SNAKE OIL SALESMAN into the TV ranks in Primus or is he forever doomed to go 4-3?

ADM is one of my three bright spots, although the faintest of the three. I had numerous warriors poised at the top of the class (three ABs, a PS, and a LU), but they were all damage deficient. I decided to push them all over the line. The PS (a 21-21) and LU (a 21-20) would try to learn their last Defense skills after the freeze and then train DF during the tourney. They should land in Eligibles and have room to train up their ST for future big damage bust-outs in that class. I took a shot on some 50% trains with two of the ABs (one 17-17-x-21 and one 21-17-x-17), but after successfully training WL to 21, they both missed their 2nd 50% trains so they will simply train WL for the entire tourney to prepare for future Eligibles busts. The final warrior is a WL/DF AB named MAIDEN HAIR PASTA of SHEWISH PICNIC who went for two safe trains to 9 WT and 7 SP in the first two rounds. Those trains could’ve been part of a full bust-out or part of a nudge over the line into Eligibles. Since the other ABs missed, this AB became my bust-out. MAIDEN HAIR PASTA of SHEWISH PICNIC will enter the ADM tourney with stats of 17(6)-19(5)-4-9(2)-22(1)-7(1)-21 and 177 total skills. She is off to a bit of a slow start to her bust-out (thanks to the “half” train to 7 SP), but could pick up as many as 32 more skills during the tourney if she lasts long enough. With only Good damage and with a Dagger favorite, I wouldn’t rate her chances super high in a competitive ADM class, but she has TC potential.

Freshmen is probably my best shot. I had two big damage STs at the top of the class who went for 60% and 35% trains, and one WL/DF AB who started with a safe train to 15 ST. Both Strikers missed, so the AB, XI AQUILAE, was given the green light to go for a full bust-out. On the 2nd and 3rd post-freeze turns, he trained WL to 21 and WT to 7. XI AQUILAE of AQUILA will enter Freshmen with stats of 15(2)-19(6)-10-7(2)-21(2)-3-21 and 152 total skills. Being an Initiative favorite learn, it wasn’t possible to get all the Defense skills that he wanted while remaining under the Freshmen line. Hopefully his Fist favorite, his Great damage, and his bust-out will compensate for his shortcomings. He should be able to reach 171 total skills fairly easily during his bust-out, and could get as high as 184 if he lasts a long time and trains exceptionally well. He will be accompanied by a mediocre TP sandbagger and three warriors (2 AB and 1 SL) who are learning skills over the line for future set-ups in the ADM class.

Most of basic is too difficult for me to predict, but I do have a strong TC contender in Initiates. CAPTAIN COOK of SEA DOGS is a clone of my 9-7-7-21-17-6-17 AB named CANNIBAL COOK (formerly PRISONER 485). CANNIBAL COOK/PRISONER 485 had an outstanding basic career, earning an 8-3 Apprentices TV, a 14-0 Initiates TC, an 8-3 Adepts TV, an 8-3 Challengers TV, and a 13-2 Challengers TC. Following that, he managed a 12-3 ADM TV on his bust-out and is now sandbagging in Contenders. CAPTAIN COOK overshot Apprentices by going 7-3 in Rookies, so he will have one chance to replicate the great lower basic performance of his clone-father. He had been sitting at 10 FE waiting for the conclusion of the King of Primus tournament, after which I used one of the 0.5 favorites potions to learn the original’s exact favorite OE. The original’s success in basic all came running off favorites, but his favorites are well suited to countering the Striking Attack style, which is also his toughest opponent using his traditional strategy. So he’ll be using his standard strategy vs 9 styles, and three aspects of his favorites against STs. Will CAPTAIN COOK be able to match the Initiates TC of CANNIBAL COOK? Or will he join a long list of disappointing prize warriors, possibly because I fiddled with his strategy? I’m hoping for the first scenario, but am prepared for the second one.

I couldn’t bring myself to hit the post button and have nothing but ABs to call out. So I have one dark horse pick in Contenders who is NOT an AB. SHEWISH WHALER of SEA DOGS is a SZ 19 LU who has earned one Freshmen TV, three ADM TVs, an Eligibles TC, and four Contenders TVs. He is straddling the Contenders/Primus line, so he gets bumped up after a TV and then drops back down again a year or so later. Well, he is back in Contenders now. He looks unremarkable aside from the LO favorite and the Unearthly damage, but he seems to get the job done. He has a good chance to TV the class, and you never know when a Contenders TV can turn into a TC with the right match-ups and luck. Some people think that you have to be an AB to succeed in this class, but my only two TCs previously have been with LUs, in 2013 and 2015. Hopefully I’m due for another.

Good luck to everyone in the tourney. I look forward to reading the results a week from now!
Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OAB's pre-tourney write up inspired me to write about my own hopes and dreams.

I ended up sending 60 warriors.

My first class with hope is Freshman. I am running my standard set of sandbaggers. I will begin a short stretch of busting in Fresh starting in October, but am going to give the ones ready two more tourneys of 'practice' before I start busting the guys that I've been building up there. So while I have a few guys at the top of the class, I am not expecting a TC, but they are good enough to make the run-offs, so who knows.

Challengers is a long shot, but with a proven warrior.
MOSES is also a clone of OAB's CANNIBAL COOK and has had success to date similar to the original, with a 15-2 Apprentice TC, an 11-3 Adepts TV, and a 8-2 Dead Challenger TV. I think MOSES is a long shot, but he'll get a couple chances to repeat the original's Challengers performance.

Adepts is probably my best chance to win it all, with my Virus clone running. The clone has NOT learned anywhere close to the original (and the performance has also not been anywhere close). But the clone is looking better at 20FE than 10FE, so I have to hope! Some other good looking on paper, not so much on the sands so far warriors here as well.

Rookies is my last place with any real hope. I sent 19 warriors to Rookies, the best of whom is an AB with an absolutely absurd normal damage roll with 5 str and 3 siz. Probably doomed to die at 4-2 or some such, but until it happens, hope and my warriors are alive!
Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Alexander Pope once wrote that “Hope springs eternal in the human breast” which just goes to show that, apparently, I am not human. I really don’t have any hopes, per se, for this tourney. All you jerks in Tempe in January *cough* TUM *cough * beat up on my squad so badly that no one there made it to a late enough round to actually be able to get timed for this outing. So, this squad, with perhaps one exception, is definitely my “B” team which translates to a “C” team or worse for the megas.

To be clear, it’s still going to be very fun.

One Armed Bandit’s unnecessary spring mailer aggression necessitated the deterrent of a Mutually Assured Destruction response. So, I upped the ante and sent in 85 peeps to the tourney. Jerman upped his ante as well and sent 85 … Lungers. I lost count with the other styles. Mine are broken down thusly:

AB 20, BA 2, LU 16, PR 9, PS 1 (token), SL 4, ST 15, TP 6, WS 12. No parry-lungers because, well, parry lungers. From a class perspective, I have 1 ADM, 1 immort Challenger for whom Floyd promised a 1-3 performance, 3 Chumps – I mean Champs – 10 Adepts, 10 Inits, 15 Apps and, make sure you’re sitting down, 46 rookies.

Probably one of the brightest notes I have is an ADM wall of steel that is finally far enough along in her development that I can start running her to see how she does as she continues to train con. This would be my first AD warrior so situated, so definitely a fun milestone for me to hit. Up until now, it’s been all basic. I am still expecting a 1-3 or 2-3 here, because she’s got a ways to go with con, but it will be fun to test the ADM waters, especially since she hit the 100 FE mark:

JENICOR (35-4593) of HOUSE JHEREG (138) [50-44-0,186,106FE], will fight Adm. She is a wall of steel with ST=25(10) CN=13(3) SZ=4 WT=13 WL=21 SP=9 DF=12. She is ambidextrous, is bright, has awesome endurance, can carry a tremendous weight, is incredibly quick and elusive, does tremendous damage, has a Master in initiative, has an Advanced Expert in riposte, has an Advanced Master in attack, has an Advanced Master in parry, has an Advanced Expert in defense, has an Advanced Expert in decisiveness

In Chumps, the best of the three is probably the N/R ST with DEC and ATT Masters and INI / RIP Adexes. I’m also running an offensive TP who’s furthest along in development and went 7-3 in adepts in Tempe.

Speaking of adepts, I have a spectrum of STs from a decise perspective, so I am really looking forward to honing my view on how much decise a ST should generally have for adepts. I have a 24, which probably isn’t enough, a 26 that might be, and a 31 that damn well should be. Also-rans include the Little Crow rollup that I couldn’t train out of little damage and my token PS. The hometown favorite that the crowd is pulling for is an 11-13-8-17-21-3-11 offensive TP with Master PAR, Adex DEF and Ex Att who seems to like both to riposte while parrying and the longwsord. She went also 7-3 in Tempe. Excuse me, make that 7-3-1. Very Happy

Inits probably has my strongest tourney contender in an 11-9-5-21-15-10-13 LU with Adexes in INI/ATT and DEC as well as EX in DEF. He, too, went 7-3 in Tempe. Are you noticing a theme yet? Since Inits has generally been my best spot for LUs, they make up 40% of the class for me. To balance out that chance to do well in a class, I included two SLs. I also included my sole 3 DF entry, a DEF learn LU, under the OAB Sunk Cost™ approach to DM management. In fact, you could probably sum up my entire Inits class under that philosophy.

Having just spent 10 minutes looking at my apps, I think we can just move on.

Rooks, rooks, rooks. The lack of quality timed warriors drove me deep into a class for which timing is not an issue. And, thanks to the “here’s what to get Vlad for Christmas” hints I had BoV spread around, I had a goodly amount to choose from. I don’t know that I have any contenders, but there are a lot of just plain fun warriors. There’s a 17-21-x-17 AB and a 5-21-12-21 AB. There’s a WS that started EX ATT and another EX PAR. There’s a Basher! There are strikers! There’s the next offensive TP for me, at least I hope, in the mix at 12-15-4-17-21-4-11. The lowest skill count is 34 and the highest is 60. Both are inclusive of known minimum negative or positive luck.

From a goals perspective, I’m at a bit of a loss because I am not expecting to do very well this outing. One should always have SMART goals, meaning Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound. The luster is lacking, but here we go, I guess:

1. Higher than 50% W/L
2. Kill a prized warrior, ideally not any of my own. Come to that, I don’t think any of my few are running this tourney, so should be good there. This may ultimately be hard to measure. After all, little would endear me more to my fellow Managers than poking them in Chatzy and saying “Hey, that guy of yours I killed, was he prized?” More than I am already endeared, of course.
3. Beat Howlin Wolf in a finals fight. It seems presumptuous but I’m still stinging from that Floyd goal gaffe. This is probably more of a SMRT goal.
4. TV with a Wall of Steel
5. More kills than deaths.

I started to say “good luck to all in the tourney” but, let’s be honest: I wish each of you, particularly the megas, the worst imaginable luck when fighting my guys! I do hope everyone thoroughly enjoys their tourney.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic