New Yesterday: 2
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Discouraged
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm having a hard time staying interested in D2 lately. Not just because of my poor performance at the last F2F, history has proved that I can take the punches.
The daunting task I'm looking at is getting my fighters ready for next year. I'm not even planning to send anything to the summer or fall tourneys. So I'm looking at spending several hundred dollars, just to prep the same crew that did so poorly for me this year. The alternatives are to DA like crazy or get a bunch of new rollups, or stop playing. My budget tells me the latter is the smart thing to do.

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

_Buri_ wrote:
I'm having a hard time staying interested in D2 lately. Not just because of my poor performance at the last F2F, history has proved that I can take the punches.
The daunting task I'm looking at is getting my fighters ready for next year. I'm not even planning to send anything to the summer or fall tourneys. So I'm looking at spending several hundred dollars, just to prep the same crew that did so poorly for me this year. The alternatives are to DA like crazy or get a bunch of new rollups, or stop playing. My budget tells me the latter is the smart thing to do.

Warriors that sometimes do poorly at one event, do far better at another.
Enter 4 or 5 at the tournies, just to find/feel the positive feel.
You are a valued part of the community.
We hope you find the 'feel" and stay.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

C'mon back in off the ledge, man... Smile

I'm the king of crap tourney results, I usually get slightly depressed/discouraged after every mailer (and FtF, because I'm never there!). All it takes is a couple of warriors to make nice runs to see the light ahead, though. I'd buy new team rollups instead of DAing a ton of guys, unless you're absolutely married to your established arena teams.

I don't share any basic arenas with you, but your absence would be a big hole in the game. We're such a small group as it is. Maybe try just cutting back a bit, or take a couple tournies off completely and just work on your pipeline and enjoy arena play more.

Blades up, brother!

DonaldTrump
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I feel you on the tourney results but haven't found individual warrior's results correlate well from tourney to tourney. I've seen 1-3 warriors bounce back and go 7-3 (and vice versa!).

Hang in there! Trump
FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Buri ...

I was in a similar spot to you in 2003. I took time off and came back rejuvenated and have had a blast ever since. Sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder. That being said , the game has changed so much since then. I have had to totally reevaluate my design and strategy choices to match the new meta game. Might be a similar look would do the same for you and your tourney prospects. I've been able TC more in the last 5 years than I ever did in the first 30. I hope you stick it out buddy!!

Floyd.
Grimwood
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Buri,

Everyone plays Duelmasters (still can’t call it Duel 2), for their own reasons. I’ve learned a long time ago I will never be able to compete in the elite circles you run in. I’m okay with this realization and I still like to play. I originally only wanted a high win/loss ratio and a TV or two along the way. I’ve only won 1 TC in my entire career playing Duelmasters, which was in a Blood Games tournament. I was so surprised and proud that I wrote a book about it.

Anyway, the point is to find why you like to play Duelmaster, which the reason can change. Now, I like playing a few of my favorite characters, not my best characters, but my favorite. I like to write spotlights, and perhaps the most important is I have a great admiration and respect for Lee and Sandy. They’re good people, as are the people I’ve met, including yourself over the years.

So, now it seems like what you are doing doesn’t hold the same interest. That’s okay. There are many aspects of Duelsmasters. It seems you are at the point where it’s time to fine another goal that will be more fun for you.

Good luck on the sands!

Manager - Skull Squadron, Health Alteration Squad, Legion of Death #100
http://markgmanley.wixsite.com/duelmasters
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the words of encouragement... This is not really about having a crappy tourney, it's more about the mountain of money I gotta throw at the game to get anywhere, or just to get ready.

_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the words of encouragement... This is not really about having a crappy tourney, it's more about the mountain of money I gotta throw at the game to get anywhere, or just to get ready.

_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After all these years, I could be a force in Primus... I could be a force in ADM... I just can't afford it.

Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

_Buri_ wrote:
After all these years, I could be a force in Primus... I could be a force in ADM... I just can't afford it.

The beauty of this game is you can play and spend as little or as much as you want. I guess it depends on how you gauge success.

I can afford to spend a lot more on this game but choose to stick within a budget (for the most part). I enjoy the camaraderie and spending time with the many friends I have made over the years playing this game. Duelmasters is our connection and keeps us together. If I was to stop playing, I know I would likely lose contact with most due to the distances we are apart.

You need to determine how YOU will measure success and why YOU play this game. When you do, hopefully you will also find a way to play at some level that can continue to provide that level of joy without breaking your bank.

Good luck and I hope we can continue to meet on the sands.........

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would echo what Madwand said. Success is how you define it. I would pick a single or couple modest goals, achieve them and build from there in steps that don't create budget pressure and provide enjoyment. Is it possible you are frustrated because you're aiming too large and that's creating budget pressure?
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't get too discouraged. I guess it has to be almost four years now. I lost 7 or 8 guys in three or four months in regular play and the tourney. They didn't have a low constitution either. I even lost my best warrior. No, it wasn't The Hush. I had a lunger that went through the rookies and almost got a TV. She came back with three ratings though. And then she was killed in the tourney.I also lost a good aimed blow and slasher then as well.

I also had three really good slashers: Yrah Banewrecker, Wail the Rager, and The Hush. The Hush died because I challenged warrior who I thought was an offensive style. I went in with guns blazing with him. Wail died after getting a 5-0-0 record. He as killed by a basher with a war flail (glares over at the Consortium Very Happy ) So, I set small goals for myself. My only goal at that point was getting Yrah to the Isle. And I did. His fighting rhythm was horrible and his favourite weapon was worse. But I achieved my goal.

Don't give up.

50 Blades of Grey DM-99
Miserable Men DM-99
Brony Cringe DM-99
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, they're not making it any easier. Over a month ago, I sent in turns for 9, 11, 14, and 100, all in the same envelope. Turns went by, nothing... next turn went by, nothing... I figured it got lost in the mail. Lo and behold, 3 TURNS LATER I get a turn back for arena 9, minus my 2 rollups, and no other arenas.
On top of that, my 4-0 Lunger who's probably my best guy on paper right now (17-6-4-21-17-6-15) lost to a friggin stand-in! This was not the turn I needed to keep me interested.

Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

_Buri_ wrote:
Well, they're not making it any easier. Over a month ago, I sent in turns for 9, 11, 14, and 100, all in the same envelope. Turns went by, nothing... next turn went by, nothing... I figured it got lost in the mail. Lo and behold, 3 TURNS LATER I get a turn back for arena 9, minus my 2 rollups, and no other arenas.
On top of that, my 4-0 Lunger who's probably my best guy on paper right now (17-6-4-21-17-6-15) lost to a friggin stand-in! This was not the turn I needed to keep me interested.

That sucks but at least you still have your lunger. There is that.

You want heartbreaking? I was in the Blood Games. My aimed blow was matched against the top guy. I mean the big kahuna of kills in that arena. My aimed blow was matched up with him. My guy was beating him and about to go for the kill. This is a good thing in the blood games. And then the Arena Master stepped in and stopped the fight. That guy went finished the last three turns and won the games. If I had killed him, it would have been my second or third kill. Everything is a little hazy since it was so long ago.

50 Blades of Grey DM-99
Miserable Men DM-99
Brony Cringe DM-99
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic