New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104511

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - April 2020 Mail-In
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I sent 62 entries to the tourney.

Breakdown by class: 6 Primus, 3 Contenders, 2 Eligibles, 3 ADM, 3 Freshmen, 4 Challengers, 5 Champions, 3 Adepts, 11 Initiates, 11 Apprentices, 11 Rookies

Breakdown by fighting style: 14 ST, 13 AB, 10 LU, 6 PL, 5 BA, 4 SL, 3 PS, 3 TP, 3 WS, 1 PR

I have a few bust-outs in the ADM-level classes, a few natural basic warriors that look especially promising, and a few modified basic warriors that look sweet on paper. I'm hoping that between all of those, I can sneak in a TC, as I didn't win this prize last time around and would enjoy giving it a try.

But win or lose, I will enjoy the struggle!
DonaldTrump
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I sent 52 this time, a Personal Record. This continues a recent string of PR's, possibly indicating a descent into madness. We don't say Addiction.

The numbers:

1 BA, 9 ST, 7 SL, 17 LU, 2 PS, 3 WS, 5 TP, 6 AB, 2 PL, 0 PR

26 Rooks, 17 Apps, 3 Inits, 2 Adepts, 1 Champ, 1 ADM, 1 Eligible, 1 Contendor

No blessed warriors. No prize modified. Only 1 recent TV. But Bill Murray told me that when I die, on my deathbed, I will achieve total consciousness. So I've got that going for me.

Riff-Raff

Tourney Franchises:
* Yuppie Everything
* Trump Everything
* Paper Tigers
* TEABAG@[insert F2F city here]

- TEABAG Founding Father
- Crapmaster 2020
Den
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I sent 0 this time. For some reason I thought this was a Tax Day tourney and was going to work on my strategy sheets this weekend. Then I noted the due date was the 1st.

So, many of you will have a more difficult tourney as there will not be a few dozen of my puds in there for easy wins.

I would wish you all good luck, but I think we all know I would not mean it.

Disclaimer. The above ad was probably written without malice and likely meant in jest. If you were offended, please understand being offended is a choice that YOU make and has little to do with my comment. Some look for reasons to be offended, some don't.
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I actually have a breakdown thanks to quarantine:

Total: 77
----------
Primus - 9
Contenders - 3
Eligibles - 4
ADM 5
Freshmen - 2
Challengers - 20
Champs -4
Adepts - 5
Inits - 5
Apps - 2
Rookies - 18

By Style:
----------
PL - 4
AB - 21
LU - 11
TP - 6
ST - 17
WS - 5
SL - 4
PS - 3
BA - 3
PR - 3

Unfortunately, quarantine started too late for me to have any meaningful quality in this squad. But if it lasts long enough then I might be well prepared for the summer.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Now, when is this tournament date? I need to get some warriors in. Confused Wink

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Happened to speak with Lee yesterday about some DM stuff. FYI:

"I'll get the tournament running in a bit -- have a bit of prep first. But it will run on schedule."

Not much of an update, but still good to hear.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The report from Lee is that the tourney is running.

----------

With the tourney underway, it appears to be safe to talk about our tourney hopefuls...

History indicates that I have slightly better than a 3 in 5 chance of winning a TC in any given tourney, but that still leaves a pretty big chance of NOT winning a TC. I am usually better in the ADM classes than in the Basic classes, but my ADM-level stuff is a bit weaker than normal this tourney. I went all-out in Contenders at the last FtF, and so I don't have a ton left in that class. I went for a number of 50% trains in ADM, and the only one that hit was the weakest warrior. I have a few warriors going in Freshmen, but they are all pretty flawed. While one of them could get lucky, I'm not counting on it.

My best chance is probably in Eligibles, where I have 2 entries, both bust-outs. I was fairly conservative while setting up both warriors, because they both had nice bust-outs available and it is an absolute disaster to fall over the line and into Contenders. PUBLIC ENEMY NO. 3 of DUNGEON CELL is a 25(13)-17(10)-7-21-21-5-11 LU who was created using a stat-switch potion, and who I later added a max bonus potion to improve to +5/+4. He was at 203 total skills as of the freeze and I strongly suspect he had more room, but I didn't want to risk it. He went 6-3 in the last tourney, so I figured he was ready. He trained 3 WL trains after the ADM freeze to go into the tourney with 215 total skills, and will be training WT, WL, and DF during the tourney. My other entry in the class is NAKED LUNCH of SHEWISH BUFFET, a completely natural 25(16)-20(13)-8-16(1)-25(8)-7-21 mode FI favorite AB. He was at 195 total skills going into the ADM Freeze, and having gone 5-3 in the previous tourney, I figured he was ready as well. He learned gateway skills for three turns after the freeze, picking up 10 skills (including 2 Att and 1 Def), and will be training DF and WT during the tourney. I like having two different types of warriors busting in the class, in case they tinker with the knockdowns or there is a tough opponent who is really good against one of them but not the other.

My next best class is probably Champions. I have two generic 21 WT Strikers and one generic 17-21 Lunger entering the class, but the last two warriors are the ones that I am excited about. The first of the two is a prize modified AB, a clone of my two-time TC, Cannibal Cook (formerly named Prisoner 485). CAPTAIN COOK of SEA DOGS is a 9-8(1)-7-21-17-6-17 Dec learn FI AB who has been augmented with four +1 bonus pots on his Defense and a max damage potion. He has gone 7-3 in Rookies, 10-3-1 in Initiates, and 8-3 in Adepts. His predecessor was able to TV Champions and TC Challengers, so I have some hope for him, but my expectations are more on the level of a TV than a finals fight. He is going into Champions with 147 total skills, so he seems well positioned. He is joined by SPYMUSTARD of SHEWISH BANQUET, a natural SL with ugly starting numbers of 6-10-13-17-21-12-5. I do not know what he learned in his 30th FE fight in the arena, but he has a total of 120 skills through 29 FE. That number is a bit misleading, however, as his learning curve is very good and his singular focus is stabbing people in the face with his SH. He had 18 Ini, 17 Att, and 18 Dec learned going into that 30th FE fight, and is +3/+5/+3 in those areas. He has earned an 11-3 Apprentices TV and an 8-3 Adepts TV already in his career, so while I wouldn't count on him to TV or TC, I think he has a lot more moxie than his raw numbers would indicate. He is probably my favorite warrior running in basic right now.

My third best class is Initiates. My strength is normally in ADM, and that bleeds a little bit into Challengers and Champions. Initiates is firmly outside of my wheelhouse. I have 11 entries in total, including 6 Strikers. This is generally a good class for Strikers, and my best one on paper is TAU VIRGINIS of VIRGO. She is a 17-3-11-21-9-10-13 ST with Great damage, an Ex in Ini, an AdEx+1 in Att, and an Ex in Dec. My other Strikers look good, too, so any of them could get lucky or learn great. Or not. Along with that natural ST, I am running a DYO AB who has recently had max damage applied. FIFTH-RATE of SEA DOGS is an 11(1)-8-4-17-21-3-21 AB who is +3/+4 and is learning Defense at a decent rate. She went 5-3 in Rookies and 8-3 in Apprentices with Little damage, so I am excited to see how she does in Initiates with Good damage, an AdEx+3 in Def and a Ma+2 in Att. Both warriors look great on paper, but beats me if they have what it takes in Initiates. My poor performance in the class historically indicates that I'm not the best judge of talent in the class or I'm screwing up their strategies (or both).

So those are my best and brightest. Three duos, one completely natural and one prize-created and modified, in three different classes. Considering the whispers that I have heard about other people's entries in those classes, I'm not counting on a TC. There are a few ringers out there... and I don't think that my entries are the ringers.

Win or lose, I love the competition and I look forward to reading the results. Good luck to everyone in the tourney. May your dreams this week be filled with rainbow DYOs.
DonaldTrump
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the write-up, OAB! Great info.

While I learn quite a a bit about design from your DYO's and stat-switch warriors, it's the natural warriors that I enjoy reading about. Hopefully next week the headline of the Alastari Gazette reads: "Ugly 5 DF SL who made it good!"

Thanks for inspiring me to make literally anything with a 21 DF an AB, or failing that, a SL. Smile

I appreciate you taking the time to write, and sharing your design thoughts. That said, I hope I last long enough to see you in the run-offs.

Riff-Raff
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Word has arrived from Lee, by way of Darque:

There were 1808 total entries in the tourney.
Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"I was ruminating."
"Shouldn't you do that in private?"
"Oh, is someone here?"
"You're a riot, Vlad." Brust, Dragon

I find myself on the downslope of the tourney prep cycle, having thoroughly enjoyed the search, the analysis, the decisions, the changes in course, the final decisions, the additional changes in course, the mailed final decisions and then the faxed changes in course…

Honestly, I’m exhausted.

That leaves the next few blissful days, the calm before the storm as it were, to sit back and hope. And, if possible, not worry too much. Yes, I have double checked a few strats as I perused my crew for the 27th time since this weekend. Thankfully, each time I had an “oh, crap, I hope I…” moment, the strategy reflected I had or, in a few instances, had done something I approved of even more than my original thought.

So, hope. Different managers hope in different ways. For context, I have captured a few instances below from the forums:

Floyd: “I went 332-241 for a 58% W/L .. I was able to get 15 TV's and 2 TC's for an award rate of 17.5%.”

OAB: “History indicates that I have slightly better than a 3 in 5 chance of winning a TC in any given tourney”

Vlad: “As always, hope springs eternal and reality is a surly companion”

Dante Alighieri: "All hope abandon, ye who enter here."

I think I sit somewhere between myself and my buddy Dante. I looked back at my previous TCs – which took all of about three minutes, mind you – and am reasonably confident that, with the exception of rooks, these guys aren’t even in the same league. They’re not in the same zip code. Heck, they’re not even in the same area code.

Ruff Ruff had 167 skills going into his champs run; my closest contender has 134. One had Adex DEC at the start of his Apps run; however, of my four Apps STs, one has an Ex in DEC. Willie had 96 skills starting Inits, yet my most skilled Init entry has 86. No prized basic warriors were harmed in this analysis because they were all already harmed, fatally so, by you schmoes in the last couple tourneys.

Where was I? Ah, yes. Hope.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this exercise, as I generally do. A few more things I noted during the process:

1. I really should review my past tourney write ups, ideally before finalizing my crew.

2. There is a wealth of information from other people’s forum write ups that I gain new perspective on as I reread them over the years. One of OAB’s recent freshman TC runs is a good example. I now have warriors approaching that phase so it is incredibly helpful to read someone thinking through their approach.

3. Another example that I found fascinating during this reread session was Assur’s walk through of 2 Year Contract’s run. Who the heck trains through breakpoints in preparation for their run?

Anyway, a few thoughts about my crew:

I mystically landed at 65 entries, matching my last two tournaments. Except on Friday I got an immortal champ. Now, I have said in the past that I was going to stop throwing people in just because they turned immortal right before a tourney; however, in this instance, I felt it was warranted even if he was a few fights shy of 30FE: A great damage, 31 DEC Basher with a nice set of faves.

But the phrase “Bet you can’t eat just one” doesn’t apply just to Lay’s chips. I obviously couldn’t just go to 66 entries. Like my figure, I prefer my crew be well rounded. So I added a late-breaking Init that also got his timing fight late last week, and then 3 more of the rooks I agonized over but had passed on to get to 70 final, final entrants.

Goal 1: These last 5 additions need to do better as a group than the original 65 do.

Beginning with ADM, my first thought was “did I really run this many?” so I probably overdid this class. In my case, that equates to six. My most solid entry is a sandbagging brick of a Wall of Steel. This being the Wallapalooza tournament in case you hadn’t heard. She is supported by a brick LU that overshot a nice freshman setup and has done well. Other types include some people at the top of the line “busting” minor stats they need anyways on their way to an Eligibles bust to get into DM102.

Two warriors in freshmen, one close to being a sandbagger and another not far enough in physicals but doing well otherwise.

Goal 2: A non-basic TV. I would have thought it to be my first until Trump’s background check on me turned up an ADM TV with my favorite AB way back in Baltimore in 1992.

I swore off Challengers as a class a long time ago, so I entered three. One is immortal so why not, another just returned from the dead so should be able to do so again, and the third I figure could do the same if necessary. Not expecting much. I mean, when Managerr has 20 entries…

Champs is a little more interesting with the immort mentioned above. I also have my former rooks TC, also from an April mailer, giving it a go. The other three are also-rans.

Four adepts with my sentimental favorite being an OTP. Like OJ Simpson, I continue my search… for the answer to sufficient striker decise for Adepts. Two strikers, one with 26 and one with – are you sitting down? – all of 20 DEC. I mean, I have Inits with higher decise! But, man, does he love his weapon and is a bit of a tank, so I had fun with his strat.

Speaking of inits, 9 entries. The discouraging thing here is the likely dominance of a prized warrior but, hey, it can be done. A bevy of nice strikers, an are-you-kidding-me slasher, an OTP and a nice wall of steel. Because Wallapalooza. Oh, and my requisite Inits tribute to Ahringol: an Adex INI/ATT/DEF LU.

Goal 3: As Gaff once said, “It’s too bad she won’t live… but then again, who does?” My goal is for this LU to survive inits. Sad, but after four or so consecutive Adex INI/ATT/DEF LU deaths, that’s what it’s come to.

For the crAppshoot, there are a murder of strikers, another are-you-kidding-me slasher, a few double 21 ABs out for a constitutional, a basher and a scum. Oh, and next tourney’s sacrifice to Ahringol, an 85 skill LU. Twelve in all.

I continue to refine my rookies and once again feel I have a better crew than ever. We shall see. But, I mean, seriously, this is a good crew. No concepts, no tests, no one that Howlin’ Wolf would look at me sideways for. Just a bunch of walls of steel because Wallapalooza. You heard it here first.

But I want to be clear I refused to compromise. Yes, every style has representation – Fred thanks you, Sandy! – and I’m excited about that. Yes, I ran warriors because their names tickled me, which probably means – God willing – they will offend some of you. Yes, all the ABs are double 21! Yes, all the STs have 17+ (DEC + ATT) and yes, I ran a couple P/G’s for the haters! Yes, there were +5 ATTs and those were largely on the defensive side!

Goal 4: Make a rookies final. As Andy Dufresne said, “I don’t think that’s too much to ask.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

I’m-only-here-for-the-numbers, TL;DR version (you know who you are):

75 entries

6 ADM, 2 Fresh, 3 Challs, 5 Champs, 4 Adepts, 9 Inits, 12 Apps, 29 Rooks.

16 STs and LUs, 13 ABs, 8 Walls of Steel (Wallapalooza!), 7 SLs, 4 BAs and TPs, 1 each of PS and PL

Goal 5: 55% W/L percentage[/b]
theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Go for 55% TV percentage! Go all out!
theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't usually do a write up, but this is kind of a unique tournament with all the weirdness out there, so why not?

Primus - Nah

Contenders - ran the 2 most experienced of my growing horde of really good Contenders. They have both TVed the class before, but it's all about the matchups. They mostly go between 4-3 and 7-3, so I'm thinking 0 TVs, but could sneak one out if I get lucky.

Eligibles - ran one. Busting a 9-14-5-21-9-5-21 fist AB. Of course he went in with good ST, mid 20s CN and 21 WL, so he looks very good. Should TV (1) this class and could make a deep run.

ADM - ran one. Old, heavy physical WS that has TVed the class before. Usually is at 5-3/6-3. Figuring no TV.

Freshmen - ran 3 - Flying Pig is always a TV threat. The two younger ones are getting to the point where they are competitive and can win 5-6 fights with non heinous matchups. Thinking the Pig should sneak a TV (2).

Challengers - ran 2 - both are very good. The older one has been 3rd 2x in this class and there was a big pull. He is a 21/21 LU with 5 ST and 10(!!!) CN trains. This also should be his last CHallengers barring him inexplicably going 1-3. So I have very high hopes. The younger one is VERY young and recently TVed out of dead Challenger - so she has a ton of skills. This is not her time, but she could sniff a TV with luck. I predict 1 TV (3)

Champions - ran 2 - one of them was a (very) last minute addition. My good one, who I've been holding, is a 3 time TV, one of the SZ 5 21/21 guys who rolled up as good as it's possible for one of them to roll up. Going in maxxed in skills in several areas and looking really good. The other one is a very nice arena warrior who graduated last week, so I snuck him in as a 28FE champ, immortal with known faves. The faves aren't so great, but hey, it worked for me in July. Thinking at least 1 TV (4) out of the 2.

Adepts - ran 5 - I generally never have a bunch of Adepts, but I've been hording them lately. I ran the best, and 3rd, 4th and 5th best of my Adepts, plus a wingman type. Considering my 6th best is a DYO favorite of mine, these are really good warriors. 3 are from my team stat switch. I didn't add faves or damage to any of them, so they are not undefeatable, but I could see any of the group TVing and several of them winning the class with decent matchups. I predict 2 TVs (6) here.

Inits - ran 4 - after Adepts they look lackluster, but they are all solid. I could see any of the 4 TVing with the right matchups, and one could make a run, but my expectation is 1 TV (7).

Apprentices - ran 3 - the ST looks very good, the others are more project guys, one of which is really looking interesting at this point. But I thing one will do well and TV (Cool.

Rookies - lost track of how many I ran... Just counted 15. I think that's more than I had planned... added a few arena guys and some guys HW gave me. It's a mixed bag. Many of them I think will be better apprentices on up, but some could be good rookies. I'm going to predict 1 TV (9) but it could be more if some of these guys step up.

So I intended to run 35 guys, but it turned into 38. Even so, I'm predicting 9 TVs. Other than rookies and maybe an apprentice and my younger freshmen, there's no 'filler' here. Of the 38 I think 30 of them are legitimate TV threats. I have good hopes here..

Should be fun!
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Word arrived from Lee on Thursday evening at 9:44pm that "the tourney has mailed -- all of it."

So if delivery runs smoothly, we can expect FedEx overnight to arrive today (Friday), Priority Mail to arrive Saturday or Monday, and regular mail to arrive Monday to Wednesday.

I hope everyone enjoys their tourney!
DonaldTrump
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
Word arrived from Lee on Thursday evening at 9:44pm that "the tourney has mailed -- all of it."

So if delivery runs smoothly, we can expect FedEx overnight to arrive today (Friday), Priority Mail to arrive Saturday or Monday, and regular mail to arrive Monday to Wednesday.

I hope everyone enjoys their tourney!

That’s fantastic! Thank you, OAB.
Vladimer
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dense wrote:
I sent 0 this time. For some reason I thought this was a Tax Day tourney and was going to work on my strategy sheets this weekend. Then I noted the due date was the 1st.

Dense, I wanted to give you an early heads up that the Tourney is July 18th and thus falls on World Listening Day:

"Shhh… do you hear that? It’s the sound of World Listening Day approaching on July 18. World Listening Day is put on every year by the World Listening Project, a nonprofit organization that is “devoted to understanding the world and its natural environment, societies and cultures through the practice of listening and field recording.” They explore acoustic ecology, a discipline that studies the relationship between humans and the natural world as mediated through sound." https://nationaltoday.com/world-listening-day/

Given your well-established, well, relationship with natural world, I hoped this would resonate with you enough to make sure you got those easy wins in for the rest of us.

As it happens, the stewards of World Listening Day have a couple audio clips of you interacting with the natural world last year:

Clip One

"You look just like a hog.

"No, don't."

"Just like a hog."

"Come here, piggy, piggy, piggy."

"Come on, piggy. Come on, piggy."

Clip Two

[On a deer hunt]

[Whispering] "There he is. Beautiful, ain’t it? Give me the rifle."

"What rifle?"

"The rifle I gave you back at the car."

"I didn’t know you wanted me to carry the rifle."

Anyway, Dense, don't forget to sent strats early and often to celebrate World Listening Day!

Best regards,

Vlad
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic