New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104513

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Team Spotlight/ Announcement
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SLAUGHTER'S CHALLENGE

Friends and foes, and friendly foe..... We have gathered here in Trocar to honor the memory of,and mourn the loss of, an honored member of the Duelmasters/Duel2 community. Those of you who participated in the various forums surrounding our duels are more than familiar with the man we knew as Abarsis, The Slaughter Priest. A man who would discuss this pastime with you, offer advice to others regarding it, and who had a glaringly apparent warmth and compassion about him. With a few words he could make you laugh and with even fewer words he made you know that he was someone that you could count on if you needed him. I had the priviledge of knowing him as an alliancemate and bloodbrother in the Vendetta Cartel's Griswold Family, which was headed by "the Exalted Clark" Doc Mabuse, a captain under Master Darque (head of the Vendetta Cartel). He, in fact, was my sponsor into this alliance and for that I thank him, for this alone has helped in my enjoyment of our fine fellowship of DM/D2!

You may not have known Richard Walter Hammes, the real man behind Abarsis, though. A man who began playing Duelmasters back in the mid-80s, while serving time as a reactor operator/engineer on a fast attack submarine in the United States Navy, along with an early legend of the game Ghengis Jhan. He was named for his grandfathers, both Richard and William, must have been very proud of him! He spent time away from the game but it lured him back in, as it has for many of us recently, and we got to know him much better, in this new electronic age, from his prolific posting to the various frums. Though there are many things we have recently learned about Rich, regardless of what anyone read between the lines, the most important thing we learned was that he never let life destroy his will and generosity. He loved to read at the library, he often spent time at the local ice cream parlor assuring the owner's wife was safe as she worked alone at times, and it seems he very simply loved to interact with the people of his community, and they loved to talk with him. He lost his life and a mindless,senseless act of violence while watching the counter at his friend's party store so the owner could go home and tend to his son who had taken ill that night. There is no reason yet as to why but perhaps we can all find our own reason why in what we learned about him.

He was a treasured member of his neighborhood and he was very well liked and admired.... and I imagine, especially by seeing the memorial and candles held in vigil for his soul, he is dearly missed in that very same community that will likely carry on his memory within each of them. It has been said that death is the state in which we no longer exist in this world save for in the memories of those we knew. I know Richard Hammes, Abarsis, will live on in this world through me and others for many years to come. R.I.P. my dear friend!

We have come to participate in this contest that Rich had hoped to run someday. He cannot do so but instead we will! I am honored to be able to organize it to fruition and I am pleased that through the generosity of those who have come to join me Rich may do one more, perhaps final, good act for his community in San Diego!

The Rules-
There are no challenges, avoids, bloodfeuds, or tourneys allowed and only one single use of the Dark Arena is allowed after the contest begins. To help eliminate any interference, I am going to allow avoids of non-contest teams in case they are there to manipulate and affect the winner of the contest. Win or lose the Dark Arena is allowed but once, so if you want your warrior dead be sure and throw the fight!

The contest will last for 12 turns. May I point out that if you use your Dark Arena fight you will get either 2 points, for winning, or -2, for losing, and ALL fights count in the scoring. It matters not if you fight a non-contest warrior or a stand-in; they still count as much as fighting a contest warrior. This will be a test of basic strategy with a touch of luck added in as well.

If anyone should break the no tourney rule they will lose 5 points for each warrior entered and those warriors, and any subsequent warriors who replace them in death, cannot score points! The one exception are the dead tournies. Should you wish you may enter your warriors in dead tournies, since they are not a member of your team,or even the living, at the time. The warrior may even return to the contest, or enter if it is an OLD warrior, if a natural opening can be found for it, or you choose to use your Dark Arena fight to make that opening (if you still have that option left).Break the no DA, challenge, or avoid rules (except avoids of non-contest teams) and you will be DQ'd as soon as the transgression is discovered. To keep the contest playing field as level as possible, we will have no messing with these rules. Of course you may DA the one time, just as a clarification, but the second time gets you DQ'd. This also counts if it is found you bring a second team in for the purpose of making challenges. You can bring a second team, just don't think they can challenge to give you an advantage. This means DQ to your contest team.

Scoring is as follows:

1 point for winning
1 point for killing (giving 2 in total, 1 for the win and 1 for the kill)
1 point for at least one of your warriors writing a personal (regardless of number of personals beyond one you still only get one point). Make sure it is written from one of your team's warriors and not simply the manager entity or you will not get the point.
-1 point for losing
-1 point for being killed (giving -2 in total, -1 for losing and -1 for being killed)
-5 points and the loss of that warriors slot for scoring the remainder of the contest for entering a warrior into a REGULAR tourney (again DEAD tourney is open)

The Prizes:
1st place - +1 bonus to one warrior on the team, 1 resurrection potion, and 1 favorite knowledge
2nd place - +1 bonus for one warrior, 1 favorites knowledge
3rd place- +1 bonus for one warrior

Iron Manager Award- Run 54 of the possible 60 fights and get a +1 bonus potion

The bonus potions and favorites knowledge must be used on warriors with 5 FE or more and MUST be used within 2 turns of the end of the contest. The ressurection potion must be used within 6 months of the end of the contest, my thanks to Lee for this, but may be used on any warrior regardless of FE. ALL prizes must be used on the contest team, they are NOT transferrable to another team!

We are not sure, YET, which Consortium manager will show up here but they have all combined to purchase rights to 12 teams that will be awarded to managers as follows:

THE CONSORTIUM PRIZE PACK:

4 RUs will be awarded to the top scoring team from turns 1-5 (tie break is highest scoring most recent round; turn 5,turn 4,etc.)

4 RUs to go to the highest scoring team from rounds 6-10 (same tie break as turns 1-5. And this means most points accumulated between turns 6-10 not the leader of the contest at the end of turn 10)

4 RUs go to the team who scores the most kills (most recent kill will break the tie)

The current roster of managers and teams:

HAMMER- MEMORIAL HAMMERZ
THE CONSORTIUM(?)- HOLD THAT TIGER (our best guess as to the team)
STIK- STEEL REIGN
TRIPWIRE- OF WOLF AND MAN
SHAMAN- LEAKY TEE PEE
MANNEQUIN- SNOTMAN'S PETTING ZOO
SENSEI JAN- BATTLE BEASTS
ONE-ARMED BANDIT - SEA DOGS
RILLION- GRYFFINDOR HOUSE2
MAXIMILLIAN- CARESS OF STEEL
FIREHAWK- POMPOUS PALADINS
CRIP- SPARF!
STREET LEGAL- MILLENIUM METAL

This is not a final list as there are a few days left to get the entries in, it should be close to final by print date though, but this is how it stands as of now!

My many thanks to all who sent their condolences, and felt the loss of, for Richard Hammes! I have sent a consolidated message to his brother of our gratitude of knowing Rich and our deep felt sense of loss at his passing all to soon!

You can track the scoring race on the Duel2 site and I have created a yahoo group, http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/slaughters_challenge/ , where I hope to place early newsletters for the eager and impatient Wink

Thank you all,

Jeff Bura (aka Street Legal)
triumph1971@hotmail.com
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very nicely written. Well done!

On behalf of all The Consortium, our youngest manager "Vet" will indeed lead his team of "Hold That Tiger" into the frey.

Good luck to all.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Rillion
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The first turn is due Thursday, June 5th (ie tomorrow) correct?
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you... I tried to let these fly from the heart and not prewrite and rehearse them!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

I can see you must have been using the number pad on the right and not the numbers above on the keypad Wink (the 5 being directly over the 2 and all).

But in all seriosity Shocked it is indeed due Thursday June 2nd

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As printed in another thread the avoids will be handled in a lenient fashion, in the beginning. Until a team is clearly announced by myself as being in the contest I won't be whacking people for their avoids. Kinda' like the Battle Royal rule, to protect people from a new team entering that they are unaware of! And for turn 1, the one due tomorrow your all safe from the avoid, since HAL ate last turn's spotlight!

I already have a few confirmations to add from today:

Blackstorm- Eye of the Storm
Kat-Janix

Coming in, per email but not verified yet:

Fizban- (team unknown so far)

Thomas Jefferson
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rillion wrote:

Due the 2nd - we will receive the results on line hopefully the 5th.

Just put em on maintenance and let em fly1

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Rillion
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
I can see you must have been using the number pad on the right and not the numbers above on the keypad Wink (the 5 being directly over the 2 and all).

Actually it was worse than that. I hadn't flipped the page on my calendar, so the first Thursday in May was the 5th compared to the first Thursday in June which is indeed the 2nd.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well we understand the dog days of summer are upon us so dates become less important then just getting outside and having fun!

Thomas Jefferson
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So Street;

Will you be updating here - or via the Yahoo! Group,

...or both...

Or neither....

Either?
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kat wrote:
So Street;

Will you be updating here - or via the Yahoo! Group,

...or both...

Or neither....

Either?

Hopefully - in the arena, on this site AND on Yahoo. Way to go, Street!

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll be updating in the group and here!

BTW- It's up for a vote. Since HAL ate my spotlight last turn, and I hope this one didn't get chewed as well, I'm going to either drop the personal ad point for this turn or award 2 next turn for a personal, and that turn only. The reminder to write a personal ad from a warrior, and not just a manager or team, did not get printed so I feel this would be but fair to be sure.

Thomas Jefferson
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
I'll be updating in the group and here!

BTW- It's up for a vote. Since HAL ate my spotlight last turn, and I hope this one didn't get chewed as well, I'm going to either drop the personal ad point for this turn or award 2 next turn for a personal, and that turn only. The reminder to write a personal ad from a warrior, and not just a manager or team, did not get printed so I feel this would be but fair to be sure.

Doesn't matter either way to Vet or us. It was clearly a psrt of the expectations, so if you held everyone to it round one,I would not think that is unfair. Whatever.

Shaman
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Mr. Vet doesn't mater to us. But it was in the rules to start with so I say stick with it.
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

To whomever runs the Abysmals: Either you're not in the contest, or you've just been ejected. I won't be bloodfeuding your challenge-kill as it's not allowed by the rules, but I've a long memory. Evil or Very Mad

A year from now, when the contest is over, you've got some payback coming.

Kat

For those of you who care: the former GLUM of JANIX was:

LU: 11-5-10-15-15-13-15 (at least +4 INI, + 4 RIP, +2 ATK)
....and, much to his undoing, very frail.

RIP
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic