New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Invasion of Tobir(14)
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There has been MUCH talk and interest in Polarius' idea of a Delarqan invasion/contest in arena 14 Tobir. I have spoken to a few people who are very interested in this contest, in private, and there have been more than a few posts in another thread. This would be a groundbreaking contest as it would topple the Andorian arena into Delarqan control, thus switching it's affiliation. I think this would be of great interest to all manner of affiliation (lirith Kai and Freeblades included) as they could come and fight for one side or the other in a historic contest, something that could be a claim on any manager's mantle to speak of.... either "I helped topple the great port city of Andoria into Delaqan control' or 'I fought and successfully defended the besieged city and drove out the invading horde of Delarqans'!

I think the best way to get this running is to talk it up pick up a side and declare your interest to let Polarius' know that he has come up with an outstanding contest idea that could produce "war stories" that managers could speak of, within the DM/D2 context, with their contemporaries and could be a thing of DM/D2 lore for years to come. An actual invasion like Aruak was, which we still speak of today, but with designed parameters and an actual end game to determine a winner.

The specifics have not been released yet but if there were 2-3 managers interested for every 1 that has expressed excitement about this contest we could have a good 20-30 team contest. Speak up now or let an outstanding idea fade into the mist never to be realized!!!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
JEKYLL1
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I started my DM career Freeblades and have always considered myself Freeblades. Damn near all of the time I "lean" more towards Delarq style than Andorian style.... But considering 'some' of the participants that would be on the Delarq side...... <sigh>.. never thought I'd say this ever....

But I'll be siding with the Andorians.

Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't been an Andorian for long, but I will stand up and defend Tobir.
Count me as one that expressed excitement.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium is heavily laced with Andorians, and the founders are true Andorins living to the motto "Health. Humility. Honor." It is likely that we will be highly represented for the defense of the empire.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Polarius
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

JEKYLL1 wrote:
.... But considering 'some' of the participants that would be on the Delarq side...... <sigh>.. never thought I'd say this ever....

Hmmm....this is interesting.......

ULTRAIST---If we do this contest which side are you fighting on?

Polarius

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy

Warlord of DOOMcorps
Blitzkrieg
www.DOOMcorps.com
Polarius
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

FYI.....

If you are interested in running in this contest let me know here. After discussions with several managers I'm leaning on postponing the contest till later due to all of the contests running now.

So....if you'd play let me know.

Polarius

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy

Warlord of DOOMcorps
Blitzkrieg
www.DOOMcorps.com
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Polarius wrote:
FYI.....

If you are interested in running in this contest let me know here. After discussions with several managers I'm leaning on postponing the contest till later due to all of the contests running now.

So....if you'd play let me know.

Polarius

Count us in for sure if it is delayed until late year. Maybe count us in if it is Sept/Oct start.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Ultraist
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Polarius wrote:
JEKYLL1 wrote:
.... But considering 'some' of the participants that would be on the Delarq side...... <sigh>.. never thought I'd say this ever....

Polarius

**Same as Jekyll, a reluctant Defender of Andoria.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ultraist wrote:
Polarius wrote:
JEKYLL1 wrote:

Polarius

**Same as Jekyll, a reluctant Defender of Andoria.

Whoa! This will be some true pleasure! Don't know when, or if, it has happened before, but we greatly look forward to working the same sidelines as Ultraist!

Angus
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JEKYLL1 wrote:
I started my DM career Freeblades and have always considered myself Freeblades. Damn near all of the time I "lean" more towards Delarq style than Andorian style.... But considering 'some' of the participants that would be on the Delarq side...... <sigh>.. never thought I'd say this ever....

I find this surprising and actually a little bit sad. You mean to tell me if "some of the participants" were not going to take part in the contest at all you would be going Delarq? Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the reason and RP behind the contest? Polarius floated this as a Delarq and Friends v. Andorians and Friends contest. Not DOOMcorps v. DOOMcorps haterz and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if that's what it comes to the contest will not happen, nor would I have any interest in participating.

If you feel your *fictional* manager's tendencies lie toward Delarq then go Delarq, man! You and I, alliances aside, have always gotten along and never had any trouble exchanging info or whatever. You mean that no longer is the case?

I find it hard to believe that if the Delarq nation in general decided to collectively answer the call of the enslaved workforce in Tobir (Polarius' proposed story line) you would ignore it and join the other side because Managers A and B have units in the army.

EDIT: It's entirely possible that if this does happen DOOMcorps will be working with members of the kLk. If we can put differences aside...

"It's never how you LIVE that inspires people to want to be heroes. It's how you DIE." -Oliver Queen
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If I participate, I'll fight for the Delarqs.

However, I must take issue with the proposed story line. We should make the story line consistent with the background material for Alastari.

From The Andorian League: An Overview:

Under the rule of his grandfather, Priam VIII, slavery was completely abolished in the League. Today, even serfdom is frowned on in the League.

From The Delarquan Federation: An Overview:

The second revolutionary law in the Charter of Destiny was the Blood Clemency, which grants freedom to any slave who kills his or her owner in a fair fight. Huge numbers of slaves were freed the day the Blood Clemency took effect, and the present-day Federation has only a small slave population (about four percent). Some cities, particularly in the Osksi Empire, have claimed that a slave-owner has the right to be represented by a champion in Blood Clemency battles (this is debated every year by the Crown Council), but in most Delarquan cities the law is interpreted in a straightforward manner. Today, most slaves in the Federation are not particularly strong or determined, and they are owned by extremely able warriors, who then lease their services. Still, each generation sees fewer citizens willing to engage in this risky profession.

-----

So slavery exists and is legally sanctioned in the Delarquan Federation (providing me with an endless supply of convicted criminals for use in the arenas) and it is unknown in the Andorian League.

We shall have to determine another reason for this war, I think.

Also, I agree with the crowd that thinks this contest should be put off until a later date.

One Armed Bandit
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
If you feel your *fictional* manager's tendencies lie toward Delarq then go Delarq, man!

I remember when you ran "Home Grown" in Zensu and a couple of other Andorian arenas. You seemed so innocent back then. I always thought you'd grow up to be one of us, instead of an evil Delarquan.
JEKYLL1
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Angus wrote:
JEKYLL1 wrote:

I find this surprising and actually a little bit sad. You mean to tell me if "some of the participants" were not going to take part in the contest at all you would be going Delarq? Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the reason and RP behind the contest? Polarius floated this as a Delarq and Friends v. Andorians and Friends contest. Not DOOMcorps v. DOOMcorps haterz and I can tell you with 100% certainty that if that's what it comes to the contest will not happen, nor would I have any interest in participating.

If you feel your *fictional* manager's tendencies lie toward Delarq then go Delarq, man! You and I, alliances aside, have always gotten along and never had any trouble exchanging info or whatever. You mean that no longer is the case?

I find it hard to believe that if the Delarq nation in general decided to collectively answer the call of the enslaved workforce in Tobir (Polarius' proposed story line) you would ignore it and join the other side because Managers A and B have units in the army.

EDIT: It's entirely possible that if this does happen DOOMcorps will be working with members of the kLk. If we can put differences aside...

Well, whether doom participated, sponsored, etc the contest or not is a good question. Would I still side with the Andorians if that was the case? I actually probably would. In the case of the Aruk Invasion I didn't agree with the Delarqs then either only I stayed on the sidelines and did not get involved. I just don't agree with the motives from a Delarq view as far as Tobir is concerned as well as Aruk only this time I will take an active role. As far as the role play aspect I actually think this will add intrigue to it.... and Jamie/Polarius with his political leanings can probably understand.... consider it like Zell Miller crossing party lines and STILL considering himself a Democrat(not trying to stat a political debate with anyone so please no bleeding heart liberals or right wing Republicans jump all over that one).
I hope this won't be a case of doom vs doomhaters and I don't feel it will be. The only ones that will prolly cross "party" lines will be members of The Iron Council. This is a GREAT contest idea and one that I think can come off. As far as doom goes, despite my feelings towards a couple of the members they can bring attendance to a contest. I mean just look at Arena 36 as an example. Love em or hate em they can bring out the numbers and in the case of 14(a dying arena) Polarius and a doom sponsered contest will bring out the peeps in masses.
Yes you and I have always gotten along and will continue to do so irregardless of yours or mine affiliation. I actually don't have a problem with doomcorps.... its just a matter of a few bad apples ruining it for the whole bunch or however it is that saying goes.
As far as doom and klk... well I think that sometimes they are more alike than either one will care to admit but that is another topic all to itself.
But for the purpose of the contest yes I have usually "leaned" more towards the Delarq style of play but as with Aruk I don't agree with the Delarq idea of invading a city and will side with the bleeding heart liberals(Andorians) and defend them.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JEKYLL1 wrote:
Well, whether doom participated, sponsored, etc the contest or not is a good question. Would I still side with the Andorians if that was the case? I actually probably would. In the case of the Aruk Invasion I didn't agree with the Delarqs then either only I stayed on the sidelines and did not get involved. I just don't agree with the motives from a Delarq view as far as Tobir is concerned as well as Aruk only this time I will take an active role. As far as the role play aspect I actually think this will add intrigue to it.... and Jamie/Polarius with his political leanings can probably understand.... consider it like Zell Miller crossing party lines and STILL considering himself a Democrat(not trying to stat a political debate with anyone so please no bleeding heart liberals or right wing Republicans jump all over that one).
I hope this won't be a case of doom vs doomhaters and I don't feel it will be. The only ones that will prolly cross "party" lines will be members of The Iron Council. This is a GREAT contest idea and one that I think can come off. As far as doom goes, despite my feelings towards a couple of the members they can bring attendance to a contest. I mean just look at Arena 36 as an example. Love em or hate em they can bring out the numbers and in the case of 14(a dying arena) Polarius and a doom sponsered contest will bring out the peeps in masses.
Yes you and I have always gotten along and will continue to do so irregardless of yours or mine affiliation. I actually don't have a problem with doomcorps.... its just a matter of a few bad apples ruining it for the whole bunch or however it is that saying goes.
As far as doom and klk... well I think that sometimes they are more alike than either one will care to admit but that is another topic all to itself.
But for the purpose of the contest yes I have usually "leaned" more towards the Delarq style of play but as with Aruk I don't agree with the Delarq idea of invading a city and will side with the bleeding heart liberals(Andorians) and defend them.

FRIES UP!

JEKYLL1 wrote:
But considering 'some' of the participants that would be on the Delarq side...... <sigh>.. never thought I'd say this ever....

Some folks just love to talk from behind the glass it seems...

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JEKYLL1 wrote:

I'm not sure you can compare a contest in 14 with what happened in 11. I was there too, as a neutral like you and they are absolutely apples and oranges. Also, since this is a contest with a set beginning and end it's a much more structured environment. Your "bleeding heart liberal" Andorians are enslaving an entire people, my friend. Of course they see if differently, but in the end you're choosing Ole Dixie over the Damn Yankees. It's your choice and you're free to make it.

Your political views are fine, but I wish you had stated them in your original post instead of what you did say. With all due respect I think you're backpeddling.

As far as the contest goes unless some other Delarqs speak up soon this contest is going to get postponed, probably indefinately. Call it a good hunch if you will. We may get people into 36 as you said, but this is a contest, an extra team for people, with no tangible prize beyond a fictional affiliation change in an arena that will be dead again 5 turns after the contest. I love the RP value of this contest. I think it could be huge fun, but it's gonna take more than 10 managers to make it worth it.

"It's never how you LIVE that inspires people to want to be heroes. It's how you DIE." -Oliver Queen
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic