New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - The Crusades
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A

Two points on participation:

a) if it is chosen to call it a war, there shouldn't be a minimum/maximum on teams. Nobody told the Russians they couldn't be in WWII because they had too many folks.

b) if it's a REGIONAL-let's-see-who's-best, I like the idea floated previously (TGG) about open enrollment - minimum team size sets the standard.
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

<high fives Street Legal>

Yes! Our plan to take out Soultaker and Sandman worked!!!1
Soultaker69
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
<high fives Street Legal>

Yes! Our plan to take out Soultaker and Sandman worked!!!1

That wasn't really that hard. All you had to do is call me and tell me you really wanted to win amd I would have bowed out without all the crap. This should be your type of contest no competition.

JEKYLL1
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apex wrote:
GreekGuy wrote:
Dude quit using big words. We are from Tennesse, We are supposed to be barefoot on our farms picking cotton or something. No one will believe you actually went to college unless it was to play football. People underestimating me becuase I'm from Tennessee is my only advantage in this game...dont ruin it.
Corey

Oh and I still vote A

Good point. We could be like Ultraist and actually admit they're from Kentucky. One things for sure, we might be labeled as hicks and rednecks, but at least in-breeding isn't brought up.

Hmmm....

Now that I think about it, that might be even more to our advantage. We could always move up to Scott County or Jellico and work across the border and say the same thing. People would HAVE to think we're morons to live in this state, but then go to work up there. Or even better, we could move to Grundy County and work over in Alabama. Now THAT would be the way to get your opponents to think you're an idiot. Very Happy

Or you could just continue to open your mouth like you have been. Its worked so far, might as well stick with what works.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I assume this was directed at Apex since I rarely open my mouth and trash talk but just wanted to make sure before I racked my simple brain for some kind of witty retort.
TGG
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
That wasn't really that hard. All you had to do is call me and tell me you really wanted to win amd I would have bowed out without all the crap.

I did!!!!!
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, I’ve made an attempt to summarize the agreed upon things thus far:

The contest was originally the brainchild of Polarius (who posted it on Sep 01, 2004)

It was re-invigorated by Street Legal on Sat May 06, 2006 (who started the Civil War thread)

LHI’s consensus of good ideas resulted in the generally agreed lay-out:

1. Closed Arena (or arena 14, if ALL current teams join, DA on turn-1, and follow the following rules:)
2. An even number of teams per faction worked out by the Faction Leaders
3. Turn 1 everyone DAs
4. No tourney participation allowed
5. Everyone prefixes their warrior with A-, F-, or D-
6. Each team gets 1 point for defeating a warrior from an opposing team
7. Fights against warriors on your team do not generate points in any situation
8. The team with the most points each turn gets a Battle Point (if there is a tie for the most points then no battle Points are accrued)
9. The first team to 10 Battle Points wins the war
10. Teams may remain in the War Zone (the area) or transfer to DM-82 or a slow arena at the completion of the contest.
11. Managers of teams on the winning side each receive a +1 bonus potion to be used on a warrior on their contest team (or ADM graduate thereof that fought and graduated during the contest.) This must be applied within a month of the conclusion of the contest and the team must have been active on the last turn of the contest.

TGG had some great ideas for initial invitation/ set-up:

1. Put out all arena add with rules and have all interested parties e-mail, diplo, phone whatever the regional sponsor (captain can be voted on later if wanted)
2. Have a cutoff date to join. On that date each sponsor tells how many teams they have.
3. If A-15 D-22 F-18 Then 15 would the max.
4. Have teams elect a captain and let people volunteer to run a partial team if need be to get numbers to 15(example) or just drop out if they decide they don’t want to play.
5. On a set date have your roster and have all teams join arena.
Then follow contest rules as agreed on.

As far as scoring goes, it appears the vote is 8-0 for Option A (+1 for win, see #6 of LHI’s suggestions above)
Apex
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JEKYLL1 wrote:
Apex wrote:
GreekGuy wrote:
Dude quit using big words. We are from Tennesse, We are supposed to be barefoot on our farms picking cotton or something. No one will believe you actually went to college unless it was to play football. People underestimating me becuase I'm from Tennessee is my only advantage in this game...dont ruin it.
Corey

Oh and I still vote A

Good point. We could be like Ultraist and actually admit they're from Kentucky. One things for sure, we might be labeled as hicks and rednecks, but at least in-breeding isn't brought up.

Hmmm....

Now that I think about it, that might be even more to our advantage. We could always move up to Scott County or Jellico and work across the border and say the same thing. People would HAVE to think we're morons to live in this state, but then go to work up there. Or even better, we could move to Grundy County and work over in Alabama. Now THAT would be the way to get your opponents to think you're an idiot. Very Happy

Or you could just continue to open your mouth like you have been. Its worked so far, might as well stick with what works.

Yeah, I know. I've heard them all...

-If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
-Why change a good thing.
-Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Etc, etc, etc.

Bottom line is this.

I disagree with a lot of what the "main line", mega-type players that post here regularly have said about this entire deal. We FINALLY get some good ideas coming in, and it's the same old shit.

If you don't want to play, then for the love of God, DON'T. I don't care why you're not interested now, I don't care which rules you don't like, I don't care if you don't like who is or isn't captain.

Just get over it. Let's get everyone involved, and PLAY THE DAMN THING.
Apex
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

GreekGuy wrote:
I assume this was directed at Apex since I rarely open my mouth and trash talk but just wanted to make sure before I racked my simple brain for some kind of witty retort.
TGG

There you go with those big words again...remember, we gotta keep it on the DL. And yes, his overly funny attempt at a snide comment was directed at me. Everyone knows you'd never talk trash. Smile
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Watch with all the assuming as well. I wanted to get a set of rules in place before placing an all arena ad. It has always been my intent to do so for those who are not on this board I just wanted to get the most vocal to fall in line, or fall off, first. I'm still hoping to get Doc Steele into this thing for the D!

Kat sums it up well but again if it's in a closed arena I cannot participate and am not going to spend my time scoring a contest I'm not in. If it's going to happen for me it's gotta' be in 14 and I need to find a team from a closed arena. Alot of people were talking about volunteering it up when I first mentioned bringing this desired contest back but nobody's stepped up yet (maybe waiting to see it happens first).

Like I said I'm hoping to make this an every so often event in 14, like ToGS (60) and TW(47), and BR(1Cool. I will never move my first team, THE DEATH SQUAD (63), from Tobir and if it closes I'm most likely going to close my D2 doors as well. So you can see my desire to keep 14 running and build it back up because it's gotten pretty boring after 6 years of 5-6 teams or less!

Looks like it'll be a 1 point for a win, against a warring faction, contest thus far.

Cap is floating and if need be I have alternate plan to help this. Say we get 15,15,13 managers. One side is 2 short. We could always run it that way but the captain of both 15 teams sides will have to pick 2 teams who will not score for that turn. He would have to go all the way through the list of teams before picking the same team again. This could be set before the contest starts. He lists his 15 in order of when they will not score 1 through 15 and I will do the omitting off of that list. Not trying to further complicate it just a solution to help everyone play!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
RTR
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I vote for option C.

"When you cross me, you cross my entire heritage. And my ancestors were unstoppable tyrants of the City of Brass."
TripwireDuel
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Looks like it'll be a 1 point for a win, against a warring faction, contest thus far.

Is this the most wins on a single turn gets a 1 round win? Or are you doing total wins over the entire thing?

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TripwireDuel wrote:
Quote:

Is this the most wins on a single turn gets a 1 round win? Or are you doing total wins over the entire thing?

I think he's doing it 1 per turn. But I might be wrong.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Apex is correct unfortunately this whole 15-20 minute cap I'm usually against sometimes limits my thought process (among other things). It's the same basic rules that have been put forth just the way of determining who wins each round, on their way to 10, with what rules set!

Though it's looking more and more like spots are opening up as most people want this to be run in an arena currently closed. Why? I'm not sure because once we re-open it all teams in it's database can play again and new teams can still move in and play. It would NOT be a "closed" or "controlled" environment. I will send out an all arena ad hopefully by Monday and we'll see who wants to participate and who doesn't! May end up at 5 per side Laughing at best!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Sentinel
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
Apex is correct unfortunately this whole 15-20 minute cap I'm usually against sometimes limits my thought process (among other things). It's the same basic rules that have been put forth just the way of determining who wins each round, on their way to 10, with what rules set!

Though it's looking more and more like spots are opening up as most people want this to be run in an arena currently closed. Why? I'm not sure because once we re-open it all teams in it's database can play again and new teams can still move in and play. It would NOT be a "closed" or "controlled" environment. I will send out an all arena ad hopefully by Monday and we'll see who wants to participate and who doesn't! May end up at 5 per side Laughing at best!

It would be a hell of a lot more controlled than an actual OPEN arena and I'm sure RSI would be happy to deactivate anyone who wasn't supposed to be in the arena. Everyone just wants an even playing field with no chance for outside teams to interfere. Non-contest teams are a definite issue in this format.

Good luck, and I really do hope that your contest in 14 is successful, but it clearly won't be the Civil War. I respect you wanting to do something for your arena to help rejuvenate it. My suggestion that Mannequin referenced was a compromise where the civil war would be run in a closed arena that could be called TOBIR BATTLEGROUND or whatever and warriors/teams would "graduate" to 14 at the end. That sort of addresses the concerns of people who want a controlled competition and still benefits Tobir in the long run. My honest suggestion if you want to run a contest there is to do a different format because the bulk of the people from each region that should be part of a "Civil War" between regions won't be in 14 because they'll be fighting it out in a closed arena.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic