New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22265

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Double-Avoids
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AndruilTheAncient
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What's the consensus on this? Is there one?

Does a second avoid against a team reduce the chance of a challenge going through? What about a double-challenge? Or a challenge from two warriors on the same team?

Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Double-avoiding is absolutely pointless. When a challenge is pulled against the avoiding character, it checks to see if there's an avoid. If there is, a die is rolled to determine if the challenge goes through; if it does, then the challenge match is fought, otherwise the program moves on to the second challenge. If there are no further challenges, then the warrior is thrown back into the regular pool.

Double-challenging works becuase each challenge is checked in order, but avoids are a simple yes/no flag.

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

AndruilTheAncient wrote:
What's the consensus on this? Is there one?

Does a second avoid against a team reduce the chance of a challenge going through? What about a double-challenge? Or a challenge from two warriors on the same team?

Can't add a thing. Ichabod has the scoop.

Other than in actual play, double-avoiding can affect the atatements in the spyreports, which have no significance unless you are playing in an "event "which takes this into play/scoring.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Other than in actual play, double-avoiding can affect the atatements in the spyreports, which have no significance unless you are playing in an "event "which takes this into play/scoring.

I don't believe this is true,or if it is, it is so far down the priority list that it probably isn't worth it. From what I understand, the majority of the time computer ignores the input of the 2nd avoid. (Sandy might not even bother to input it)
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
Quote:

I don't believe this is true,or if it is, it is so far down the priority list that it probably isn't worth it. From what I understand, the majority of the time computer ignores the input of the 2nd avoid. (Sandy might not even bother to input it)

Well, then, I bow to the expert. You and your teams use this "facet" well.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
AndruilTheAncient
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ichabod wrote:
Double-avoiding is absolutely pointless. When a challenge is pulled against the avoiding character, it checks to see if there's an avoid. If there is, a die is rolled to determine if the challenge goes through; if it does, then the challenge match is fought, otherwise the program moves on to the second challenge. If there are no further challenges, then the warrior is thrown back into the regular pool.

Double-challenging works becuase each challenge is checked in order, but avoids are a simple yes/no flag.

That's what I've heard. But then, if the first challenge is avoided, what happens to the second challenge on the same warrior?

For the sake of discussion, let me clarify the challenge priority as I see it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all of these are processed from highest RP to lowest RP:

1. Dark Arena challenges
2. Bloodfeuds
3. TV Challenges
4. 1st Challenges
5. 2nd Challenges

Questions:

A. Does a single avoid work for every round?
B. Are double-challenges calculated all at once? Or if, for example, your first challenge is avoided, are you then open to challenges between "rounds"?

Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As I said, if the first challenge is avoided, then the second challenge is checked. Completely independently. That's why double challenges actually work. Sometimes.

Avoids work all round no matter how many times you're challenged. I heard that didn't used to be the case, but it has been for at least 20 years now.

If a warrior is checked for challenges, both challenges of the same priority are check at the same time. The only way to go back to the pool between challenges is if they are differing priorities, such as a bloodfeud primary, regular challenge secondary.

PurpleSage
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ichabod wrote:
As I said, if the first challenge is avoided, then the second challenge is checked. Completely independently. That's why double challenges actually work. Sometimes.

Avoids work all round no matter how many times you're challenged. I heard that didn't used to be the case, but it has been for at least 20 years now.

If a warrior is checked for challenges, both challenges of the same priority are check at the same time. The only way to go back to the pool between challenges is if they are differing priorities, such as a bloodfeud primary, regular challenge secondary.

As I understand it from the past this is exactly how it works.

Sincerely Purple Sage
AndruilTheAncient
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ichabod wrote:

Would a double-avoid decrease the chance of a successful bloodfeud? I only ask because there was a thread not long ago in 81 where Trip got his bloodfeud avoided all 4 turns while Terminator double-avoided all 4 turns.

I know I've seen other threads around where experienced managers gave credence to the double-avoid strategy, but at the time, I thought nothing of it. Funny how that works.

Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

AndruilTheAncient wrote:
Ichabod wrote:

Would a double-avoid decrease the chance of a successful bloodfeud? I only ask because there was a thread not long ago in 81 where Trip got his bloodfeud avoided all 4 turns while Terminator double-avoided all 4 turns.

I know I've seen other threads around where experienced managers gave credence to the double-avoid strategy, but at the time, I thought nothing of it. Funny how that works.

Sorry, but this isn't entirely true. While I absolutely did avoid Tripwire, I did so only with single avoids and a whole lot of luck!

Vanek, Manager of the Warmasters (DM-81)
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Once again, double avoiding does jack-all. When the challenge is checked against the avoid, if the die roll indicates the challenge succeeds, the fight is scheduled. The second avoid is not checked.

Avoiding is a yes/no flag - either you're avoiding or you're not. You don't "avoid twice as much".

It is quite possible to avoid four bloodfueds. The odds are dramatically small (0.16%), but it can be done. At one point last year I had a 15 will warrior miss a first stat raise five times in a row, which is a similar probability.

Basic rule of statistics: ridiculously unlikely != impossible.

SwineTiger
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to add to what has already been noted with some official content...

When doing the Dueltorial, I asked RSI if double challenging increases your odds and they said yes and then I asked if double avoids increases your chance of avoiding someone they said no. Straight from the source.

ST
AndruilTheAncient
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Terminator wrote:
AndruilTheAncient wrote:
Ichabod wrote:

Sorry, but this isn't entirely true. While I absolutely did avoid Tripwire, I did so only with single avoids and a whole lot of luck!

This is the thread where you said you were double-avoiding...just so you know I'm not misquoting you.

http://www.reality.com/duel2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2912&highlight=double+avoid&sid=1777f9eb33b8248148111228cddb5342

Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I may have double avoided the first turn (I can't recall for certain), but I remember discussing it with several friends and they told me that the double avoids didn't have any effect. I discontinued after that. I am pretty sure I just did it the first turn.

Vanek, Manager of the Warmasters (DM-81)
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic