New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1577

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Turf War VII
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:
As a comment, the last TW (6) was the only one where DCing was considered acceptable - indeed, encouraged. Virtually all of the prior ones discouraged and/or penalized DCing.

The reduction of DCing makes it much harder to have helpful outside team influence.

Assur hit the nail right on the head.

Well it'll kind of suck for a team if your alliance mates dominte the top of your challengable heap. In this case, I take it you either challenge and alliance mate, pray for a random matchup against someone (of course, raising changes an opponents challenge will get though) - or DC and hope you only lose 2 points.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="Kat"]
The Consortium wrote:
The final, hopefully, rules adjustment will be:
deleted this "Down Challenge 0 -2 0 -5 "
added this:
Down Challenge "Challenger" -2 -2 -5 -5
Down Challenge "Challenged" +2 0 +5 -5

This is rather 11th hour, and a bit questionable after certs (aka: entry fees) have been recieved.[/quote]

I guess I can see why someone having not been involved and/or not read the threads from the beginning could say that, but it is not meant to be such. This change resulted because many participants pointed out the falicy in the initial point scoring rule and the coordinators agreed that a change was in order and made sense. From the very beginning, it was planned and stated that the rules would be as tight as possible and that DCing and outside collusion/interference were targeted.

I understand and appreciate your thoughts, Kat, and enjoy participating with you in any event. Perhaps next time a different set of coordinators would be in order? It is a rather important and thankless job.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
bubbaganoosh
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kat wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
added this:

This is rather 11th hour, and a bit questionable after certs (aka: entry fees) have been recieved.

which alliance are you in again?

Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="The Consortium"]
Kat wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
added this:

This is rather 11th hour, and a bit questionable after certs (aka: entry fees) have been recieved.[/quote]

I guess I can see why someone having not been involved and/or not read the threads from the beginning could say that, but it is not meant to be such. This change resulted because many participants pointed out the falicy in the initial point scoring rule and the coordinators agreed that a change was in order and made sense. From the very beginning, it was planned and stated that the rules would be as tight as possible and that DCing and outside collusion/interference were targeted.

I understand and appreciate your thoughts, Kat, and enjoy participating with you in any event. Perhaps next time a different set of coordinators would be in order? It is a rather important and thankless job.

Important, yes. Thankless: unquestionably.

A side note is the game is a bit of an anomoly. A paper-based game surrounded by modern IT conveniences. I read the boards far more than I participate; I give you that. However, being a paper based game, nothing should be 'official' unless announced in a newsletter.

The prospect that one may/may not get the latest updates because they do or do not frequent these boards is a weak one at best. Stating ignorance to something that appears in the official newsletter is also baseless.
Obregon
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's not "rules lawyering" to seek clarity. Rules lawyering is trying to bend the rules after the fact to justify a dubious position. I find it admirable that the moderators are trying to eliminate rules lawyering ahead of time by removing as much confusion as possible and to adhere to the stated goal of the contest.

Also, the stated rules in all of the announcements were clear that the moderators rule is final. I personally have complete faith in our moderators' ability and intentions.

I for one have no problem with the rules and am grateful that we have moderators that care enough to get it right. We also have a full month to strategize for Turn 1 while working with alliance-mates to score as many points possible within the rules. Nobody is being blindsided here (DCing has clearly been discouraged under the published point system), and the flavor and intent is being preserved, not undermined.

That said, I nominate Kat to moderate next year's Turf War. Any seconds?

Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It doesn't do anyone any good to start any bickering before the contest has even begun. I say if anyone is unhappy with the rule change there is still time to pull out. I am quite sure the moderators are capable and willing to return anyone's certs if they now choose to not participate. In fact, it behooves those who wish to not participate to announce this asap to allow for their teamates to make alternate arrangements.

Healthy debates are good and fine but don't punish Oz and MD. They are in a tough position and should be comended for making sure this event is well run. Kudos to them.

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We would prefer that no one pull out, rather, go out and get some more cannon-fodder and let's all have some fun.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Obregon wrote:
It's not "rules lawyering" to seek clarity. Rules lawyering is trying to bend the rules after the fact to justify a dubious position. I find it admirable that the moderators are trying to eliminate rules lawyering ahead of time by removing as much confusion as possible and to adhere to the stated goal of the contest.

Also, the stated rules in all of the announcements were clear that the moderators rule is final. I personally have complete faith in our moderators' ability and intentions.

I for one have no problem with the rules and am grateful that we have moderators that care enough to get it right. We also have a full month to strategize for Turn 1 while working with alliance-mates to score as many points possible within the rules. Nobody is being blindsided here (DCing has clearly been discouraged under the published point system), and the flavor and intent is being preserved, not undermined.

That said, I nominate Kat to moderate next year's Turf War. Any seconds?

Obregon: Am I supposed to be sufficiently scolded now? A full month? The turn is due today.

...and tell me, oh soothsayer, in all the turf wars I've participated in - or my history in DM 47 - when have I spoken out about something? I've known both Oz and MD for....oh, a couple days now. They're both adults. I trust both also understand my issue is with the rules and timing of such. To a lesser extent, my issue is also with the Duel-2 community at large for necessitations an onerous set of rules merely to run a user-hosted contest.

I'll be happy to moderate the next turf war IAW the rules I stated above.
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:
added this:

....and fyi Obregon: this was posted Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:05 am - ~45hours before due date and past when most have submitted their turn - thus the "11th hour" statement. Quite far from the full month you claim.

....and no - to answer some of the disparaging PM's - I wasn't attempting to 'take advantage' of any loophole.
MarmaDuke
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure what the commotion is about. The community pointed out that the initial scoring system virtually encouraged DC'ing when that was not their intent. After reviewing community feedback along with their own internal discussions, the moderators amended the scoring to be commensurate with their intentions.

As we are in 2010 and not 1990, the use of these boards is paramount to real time communication. When setting up an event like this, it would be impossible to have these sorts of discussions in a newsletter which has a four week turnaround. I commend the moderators for having the humility to change their rules based on feedback, and I commend them for taking their own personal time to organzie and moderate the event which, as was previously stated, an inherently thankless job.

Deviation, State of Mind, Da Dog Powndaz, Pyromania, Rap Attacks, Slamma Jamma

May your blades always be sharp, and your opponents armor always have rust.....
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kat wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
added this:

....and fyi Obregon: this was posted Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:05 am - ~45hours before due date and past when most have submitted their turn - thus the "11th hour" statement. Quite far from the full month you claim.

....and no - to answer some of the disparaging PM's - I wasn't attempting to 'take advantage' of any loophole.

The TW doesn't actually start until NOV this is still OCT

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MarmaDuke wrote:
I'm not sure what the commotion is about. The community pointed out that the initial scoring system virtually encouraged DC'ing when that was not their intent. After reviewing community feedback along with their own internal discussions, the moderators amended the scoring to be commensurate with their intentions.

As we are in 2010 and not 1990, the use of these boards is paramount to real time communication. When setting up an event like this, it would be impossible to have these sorts of discussions in a newsletter which has a four week turnaround. I commend the moderators for having the humility to change their rules based on feedback, and I commend them for taking their own personal time to organzie and moderate the event which, as was previously stated, an inherently thankless job.

You do know we have a large (based on %) inmate population that doesn't have internet access, right?
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

gentleben wrote:
Kat wrote:
The Consortium wrote:
added this:

The TW doesn't actually start until NOV this is still OCT

Fine. I'm quiet.
bubbaganoosh
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kat wrote:
A full month? The turn is due today.

um. this isn't the first turn due for TW is it? Shocked

ok nevermind- phew!

Action
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MarmaDuke wrote:

I appreciate the job being done by Darque and The Consortium. It takes more time than I am able to give. I am glad I can piggy back on their efforts and enjoy this competition

Il Malvagio 32
The Fallen Angels 28

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic