New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - King of Primus
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am very disappointed that I haven't been able to help my team. 0-3 in the contest so far! I had expected better results from Firedrake. With 50+ skills in each area except Parry and a DI score of approx 350 I expected to be ranked higher than 288. Am I being too hard on myself? Embarassed

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe a little. Your first two match-ups were basically un-winnable (barring epic meltdown) as your opponents were maxxed, but I without knowing how good Marma's 5th guy was, I would have expected you to be favored there. I'm sure all will be forgiven if you can win your fight with Mannequin's guy next turn.

288 is low for that skill level, but get upset and plummet in the rankings. Sushi Slinger is obviously better than 290 as well.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Come on, Primus Pot Luck! Let's finish with some fine dining Idea

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Woohoo! I wasn't expecting to win anything, so eking one out against Marmaduke makes me happy.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We have enjoyed this Primus event so far. (Winning helps.) But more importantly we want to send some BIG KUDOS and thanks to Manager. His coordination, organization, and presentation of the events has been terrific, and it has added to the pleasure of the event. Well done, Mr. First TOGS Winner. Well done.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Indeed, this event was a fine idea and has been very enjoyable.

And to my teammates, sorry for stinking up the joint. When it comes time to pick our consolation prize, I will go along with whatever The Consortium and his invaluable 6-0 record wants!
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I forgot about the prizes. I think the prizes I'm most interested in are the ones that the winner will pick.

Come on improved training % and Gate-Monsters!!!

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Darque wrote:
I forgot about the prizes. I think the prizes I'm most interested in are the ones that the winner will pick.

I agree! I would have competed even without the prizes. The contest just adds another element to the game and another dimension to my fun. Managerr, you did a great job orchestrating this! Kudos!

DM 47 Fast Food

Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awww....Thanks, guys! I'd take a bow--but I'm one win away from becoming King, in which case I'll be too good to hang out with you peasants in the future!

Quote:

If I win, I am leaning towards Gate Monsters and Improved Skills Learning. (I got Eligibles to time!) I spoke with Dark One earlier and he is leaning towards Gate Monsters and Arena Rename/Custom Spy-Report. We both have until the next run date to decide, so it's not set in stone, but I do think Gate Monsters is a near lock no matter who wins.
Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you think the Ladies would allow something like this to be run every year or maybe every other with the winner holding his title until the next contest? I really wouldn't care about the prizes, the only prize I wanted was one of Managerr's throwaway RU's anyways Laughing

DM 47 Fast Food

Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
Awww....Thanks, guys! I'd take a bow--but I'm one win away from becoming King, in which case I'll be too good to hang out with you peasants in the future!

Quote:

If I win, I am leaning towards Gate Monsters and Improved Skills Learning. (I got Eligibles to time!) I spoke with Dark One earlier and he is leaning towards Gate Monsters and Arena Rename/Custom Spy-Report. We both have until the next run date to decide, so it's not set in stone, but I do think Gate Monsters is a near lock no matter who wins.

Gate Monsters + Custom Spy Report makes it pretty easy for whoever writes the spy report to have fun and plenty of material to write about. I will for sure activate Goldilocks for a Gate Monster fight. Not sure who else will participate on my team. That would be a good combination of decrees.

The decrees are almost certainly the most interesting result for the contest, especially for those of us playing for fun.
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Do you think the Ladies would allow something like this to be run every year or maybe every other with the winner holding his title until the next contest?

I was thinking maybe every 50'ish turns or so? Which would be roughly every other year? It will depend on the whims of RSI. At first they were into it, "Wow, it's really getting a lot of people interested in Primus again? Sure you only want to do it for 4 turns?" Now it's like: "OMG, it's so irritating doing the non-contest match-ups! I can't wait for this to be over!"

Apparently, the tough part of this is that Lee is running the match-up program by hand and it doesn't help that this probably the worst time of the year to be running a contest. But oh well. I am going to check with Lee to see if we can arrange our own match-ups for the next turn (for non-contest warriors) as I know a lot of us could care less who we fight.

I was thinking it would be cool to have the last turn end at a FtF too, that way we could read the last round fights on Friday before the FtF or something...as it is, we missed by one turn.

Quote:
I really wouldn't care about the prizes, the only prize I wanted was one of Managerr's throwaway RU's anyways Laughing

It's not like RSI was opening the prize vault for this one, I don't know if prizes will be a huge issue...I have gotten a couple of cool suggestions for the consolation prize pool next time...
theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Primus was once just so cool.

I don't even mean when I was TVing multiple times every tournament there. Before that. It was just awesome to watch the best of the best slug it out.

Epitaph, Donnie, Jake the Snake, Khorga Khan, the Chaos boys, Wallbanger, Teetotaler, E. Hemingway, Gypsy Moth, Dee Dee, Furious Impaler (before he was castrated and became a lame bear), Psycho Scientist, Necron 99, Yor Funeral, Villiage Idiot, Tunnel, Juggler, Olaf Bonesnap, Elisa, Madam Butterfly, Adonis... I could go on for another 2 dozen names...

I remember always wanting to be up there with the greats. My first ever FTF - Baltimore -1991 - Madam Butterfly pulled the huge upset over Dee Dee and the rest of the top studs. It was more fun for me than my first ever TV - Sir Berus of Devil Advocates in Novices there... I enjoyed hearing the Primus Banter, the top managers jockeying for the top spot. Just awesome.

Years later, I will never forget getting a call from Travis, who was proxying Vengeance for me at an AZ ftf... Vengeance had no losses and Donatello also was undefeated. And after many years of swing and missing against the damned turtle, Vengeance plowed him. I couldn't hear Travis talking for the applause, cheering and shouting going on in the room.

Unfortunately Primus has been essentially ruined by the AB bug. Don't get me wrong - my guys are past their prime and wouldn't be TC candidates today with all the great warriors out there even if changes were made. They are old and crunchy and most of them don't have the bonuses/faves to compete in today's Primus.

I just wanted this King of Primus tournament to serve as a bit of a last hurrah for my crew and show that against warriors of styles other than ABs, anyone can compete. I think they did that, even if Manager kicks my butt next turn.

Thanks, Dwayne, for a little look back at what Primus used to be and will hopefully, one day, be again!

the Dark One
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I know I really wanted one of the "NPC teams" to be an "Ancient Legends" team full of those classic warriors. I know several of them are in the hands of RSI now or have been transferred to other players who are reach-able. But I wasn't sure if we were going to fill or not and there just wasn't enough time to put it together and get the appropriate permissions.

Certainly if we do something like this again, I'd like to be more pro-active about contacting older players who might be interested for a mini "DM reunion" so to speak. As your success shows, a lot of the old guard are still competitive once if you throw out AB's. (Chief I's team doesn't have a dominant AB either and he was one of the stronger teams)
MarmaDuke
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What if this concept was applied to the Primus tournament whereas success depended on the overall performance of a team as opposed to the record of a single warrior. It would be a way of altering the effects of current AB dominance on the Primus TC without actually altering the AB itself (which RSI has repeatedly stated is their preference).

Instead, success would require having a dominant AB contributing to the performance of a 5 warrior team represented by any 5 unique styles similar to this setup. It's obvious that this format has enhanced the intrigue and interest in Primus and may encourage greater overall participation for arena play as a result of a wider pool of interest in tournament play. It would also be a way of the girls not having to do this manually during the normal arena turn, but instead would only take place during a tournament.

Deviation, State of Mind, Da Dog Powndaz, Pyromania, Rap Attacks, Slamma Jamma

May your blades always be sharp, and your opponents armor always have rust.....
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic