New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1577

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - ONLINE CHAT WITH RSI CHAT TRANSCRIPT
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Been watching this discussion - and many like it - for a long time.

My $0.02

1) The game isn't going to fundamentally change. To make necessary corrections, there needs to be a thorough code review followed by a rewrite. This isn’t going to happen. The game is a throwback, PBM, entry-and-result game based on late 70’s technology. It is what it is. Accept it.

2) The user base is also, well, what it is; a collection of folks who are more emotionally then mentally invested in the game. It’s sustained itself on an active userbase of ~1,000 accounts. By comparison, Kings Isle in Austin launched Wizards 101 24 months ago and has 15 million active. Our game is the quintessential ‘niche’.

3) Prices haven’t changes in twenty years. When I started playing, Regan was in his second term, stamps were $0.22 each, gas was $0.93/gallon – and guess what? The war flail sucked then just like it sucks now.

4) The game is broken at the top. I hope everyone was sitting down when I broke that shocking news. …..oh, and WHAM! isn’t coming back either.

5) Tournaments are an all-or-nothing proposition. I routinely get pinged for this opinion, but it’s true. If you’ve got a ‘pipeline’ and the funds to pump into it; victory can be yours also. For the casual ‘play-in-one-arena-to-have-fun’ manager? Forget about it. For those of you who just live for the tournaments; bless you. Have fun. Lots of it. However, I don’t like your bonused warriors screwing up my perfectly fine basic arena. That’s *my* right.

6) Rather than making game tweaks (which have never materialized and even if they did – would be perverted like most things are) – I’d rather Lee spend her efforts getting the name DUELMASTERS back.

7) If you want a massive back-to-the-roots change, bring back the fantasy aspect. All the bickering about ‘Weapon-x-this’ and ‘he-got-potion-Y-that’ has (over the years) effectively sucked a lot of the ‘role-playing’ aspect away. I fondly remember a lot of the travelling salesmen with the ‘Butter Tonic’ pitches in North Fork….

Cool Ultimately, enjoy yourself and accept our little niche game for what it is. A quaint, little, niche game. I’m thankful for every one of you for you make the Land of Alastari all it is.

9) I *want* to quit this damn game and have. Six times now. Twice in the last year.

10) Yet here I am.
Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kat wrote:
However, I don’t like your bonused warriors screwing up my perfectly fine basic arena.

I agree with this 100%. This is precisely why I have embraced and love Shadowspire (81) so much. I'd love to see you return there. Any chance we'll see you there in the near future?

Vanek, Manager of the Warmasters (DM-81)
bubbaganoosh
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Terminator wrote:
Kat wrote:
However, I don’t like your bonused warriors screwing up my perfectly fine basic arena.

I agree with this 100%. This is precisely why I have embraced and love Shadowspire (81) so much. I'd love to see you return there. Any chance we'll see you there in the near future?

you don't think there are bonused warriors in shadowspire?

One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

By bonused, I'm pretty sure they mean "with prizes added", not "naturally bonused."

If you have evidence of people breaking the rules and adding potions to Shadowspire warriors, please speak up, but I suspect you meant the other thing.
bubbaganoosh
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
Quote:

By bonused, I'm pretty sure they mean "with prizes added", not "naturally bonused."

If you have evidence of people breaking the rules and adding potions to Shadowspire warriors, please speak up, but I suspect you meant the other thing.

ok well it's semantics i guess... but when someone says bonused i don't take that to mean prized-enhanced. i take it to mean bonused. that's all.

Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kat wrote:
3) Prices haven’t changes in twenty years. When I started playing, Regan was in his second term, stamps were $0.22 each, gas was $0.93/gallon – and guess what? The war flail sucked then just like it sucks now.

I'm curious if any other product/service has ignored inflation over the past 20 years?

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bubbaganoosh wrote:
One Armed Bandit wrote:
Quote:

ok well it's semantics i guess... but when someone says bonused i don't take that to mean prized-enhanced. i take it to mean bonused. that's all.

There's a bit of difference between a 'natural' +2 ATK, +3 DEC (or whatever) warrior, versus one that's been cloned, shrunk, potion-ed,made-from-scratch, etc.

Don't misconstrue my point though - I *love* that Shadowspire construct (and folks, if I was 100% full time, I'd be there. I just don't have the time) and that arena was made for folks who like to play that way.

Kudo's to the folks who play in tourney's and congrats to those who TV and TC - however, that playing field is *not* a level one. Don't delude yourself into thinking it is. Can a *brand new* manager with his very first roll up sheet ever TC a tournament? Yup. Is it likely? Nope.

Is it likely I can tell you - with decent % - who will TC or TV some of the tournaments in 2012? Yup.

I don't begrudge it - I accept it.

Though no one asked, I'll tell it anyway; My personal goal as 'Kat' is to win the Duelmaster throne of whatever arena I'm in (normally 47). To me, that's the ultimate. The game was never called "The Primus TC is All About The Awesome" - it was called Duelmasters. For me, "Duelmaster" is the title to have. The rest is gravy. Making the top 10 in AD or Primus - with an immortal warrior - is a testimonial to patience, cash, and tournament prizes. Getting a warrior to the top of a crowded arena, well, that's something different Smile

...and there's a built in system to make sure that moment, once captured, is a fleeting one.

*THAT* is the game I can't quit.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic