New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Maxxed Tier of Competition
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Khorvinus
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

With the recent post of what can be done at the top of the D2 world, one thing I think most will agree with is this. Everyone at the top wouldnt like the idea of a nerf or deminishing returns on their guys that took them a LONG time to get where they are. So, i know i'm not the first, but I propose that there should be a place where the warriors that are maxxed out in skills and stats would be able to go for further competition.

If the problem with most up and coming managers in Primus is the bottle effect they face towards the top, then something can be done that is appeasing to both old, and upcoming warriors. They definately shouldnt be punished for their time though, thats a kick in the groin to the manager that has spent his whole career getting them to where they are.

What i suggest is not necessarily re-opening Gateway, but creating an arena to where only the maxxed out warriors go. Pit them against eachother, or other entities (i hope i spelled that right) whether it be monster or otherwise, but with a twist. Every turn one warrior is selected to fight the main arena master, monster or whatever it is that has the most power or whatever, the twist would be that the warrior selected would be totally random. You can obviously challenge eachother or the DA or monster (like i said, whatever it would be called) BUT, the warrior at the top, CANNOT challenge anything but other warriors, BUT can be the one randomly chosen to fight the NPC.

The last thing this game needs is nerfs, now tweaking might be a different story. I'm not one that particularly likes the idea of the "if ya can't beat em" approach. But that wont keep me from playing, or even hopefully one day reaching Primus with a warrior of my own, of which im not even close, lol.

Gimme some feedback with your pros and cons....and be gentle and polite. Its just a suggestion/idea that probably wont come to realization, not anytime soon anyways.

Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

wow, you guys are either really numb to the idea of top tier play change, which is a touchy subject, or no one was in a reading mood last night, lol.

Not even one "I hate this idea" or "this wouldnt work because....." lol

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Its more apathy because RSI probably wont do it. I'm fine with the idea, though you'd have to tweak the totally maxed thing as managers that just finally maxed a guy and havent gotten any good primus runs in yet wouldnt like that. Might be wating to add a bonus potion, change favs and such and wouldnt want to be yanked. However if the criteria said anyone who's tc'd primus can get the boot to the new arena and every tc thereafter as well that would be cool...bye Bonnie. However you'd only add 4 guys a year..hard to populate an arena like that...plus however many of the former TC's that would want to go. Would fix primus bottleneck though, would not fix the open hand aimer issue....might have an entire arena made of just aimed blows Smile
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think anyone is responding because this is the same discussion that comes up every 2 or 3 years and nothing ever happens.

I don't see maxxed warriors as the problem, it is the prize-modified, out of bounds warriors that are the problem. These "broken" warriors have damage ratings much higher than their STR/SIZ would allow because of shrink potions, I've heard rumors of extra skills, blah, blah, blah -- all the product in most cases of prize applications. Warriors have favorites that are naturally impossible for their styles, etc, etc, etc. So to me, maxxed warriors are NOT the problem. Some people refer to FE, once again not an expert here, but I believe I have been told there is a plateau that everyone reaches (300 FE?) where it evens out for the most part.

I won't even spend much time with the 400 pound gorilla of the AB bug. Would fixing the out-of-bounders fix this problem -- probably not. But this is another topic that gets brought up often and never fixed -- proof? Just read the upper level tourney report. Looks like people have just stopped sending anything other than AB and LU.

Another reason there isn't much discussion about it is there was once Gateway and it didn't really solve any problems -- it just created two bottle necks instead of having one. Probably much less of a headache for RSI to only have to deal with complaints about one bottle necked arena instead of two and then the controversy that would always come from the tournaments of both Gateway and Primus.

I didn't start this response as an advertisement for the no-tourney arena, but it looks like I'm "going there." The AB bug is going to take a programming change, pure and simple. The prize modifications can be remedied by having arenas where such warriors are not allowed. The ultimate goal of the forth-coming no-tourney ADM arena is an eventual no-tourney Primus arena as well. Will it fix all problems and insure absolute parity for all 10 styles? No, I don't think that will ever happen but it does remedy some of the other problems.

I used to be all for forced retirement or TC caps and various other ideas that have come about that seek to break the bottle neck in the upper level. Not so much anymore. I don't even know what has changed in my thinking that has put me on the other side of the fence either, but that an entirely different post.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Khorvinus
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

very good and valid points. and im thinking another suggestion as well, that would obviously have to take place after the said arena opens. The number of TC's and some sort of political point sysytem could be introduced in Primus.

With all the OH aimers out there that have TC'd im sure would be at the top of the list, lungers right behind them i'm assuming. And dont even get me started on the potions and prizes that these guys have on them, that i didnt take into consideration.

Like i said, im almost positive that this wont happen, and its definately not due to how RSI is ran, because i think they do an awesome job. Tweakin is something that probably needs to happen and probably will, but whats gonna happen when TP's or PR's become the next AB?

Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well there needs to be at least a way to challenge the Dark Arena in Primus Exclamation

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I never have liked the idea of any of ADM arena being allowed to challenge Dark Arena NPC's.

Didn't they just do a Gateway style turn in Primus a few months ago, where everyone fights Gate NPC's and say that it is likely to happen again from time to time?

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Visionst01 wrote:
I never have liked the idea of any of ADM arena being allowed to challenge Dark Arena NPC's.

Didn't they just do a Gateway style turn in Primus a few months ago, where everyone fights Gate NPC's and say that it is likely to happen again from time to time?

They did.
It was "interesting", but was a mere fickle blip in our excitement.

We, too, like Visionist, are not in favor of the challenge NPC's rather than competition.

We, too, Just as Master Darque said, chose not to respond to this thread, because it has been discussed so many times before on this site, and because it is not going to happen, and just because.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:

We, too, Just as Master Darque said, chose not to respond to this thread, because it has been discussed so many times before on this site, and because it is not going to happen, and just because.

Until now

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Khorvinus wrote:
but whats gonna happen when TP's or PR's become the next AB?

That would actually be kinda cool, if there was some way to rotate the styles... i.e. "this is the year of the ripper", next year it's pikers, etc... and each year a different class gets a little edge, like the bonus ABs get for open hand, give that to rippers who use the epee, or each style's classic weapon. It would certainly make it worthwhile to run classes other than AB or LU in Primus.

Again, it'll never happen, just food for thought...

Khorvinus
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well, my apologies for trying to be open minded on an open forum. granted, its been brought up before, and granted it probably wont happen just thought it would be fun to bounce ideas off of eachother to come up with something that can be viable to the game.....wont happen again, i promise ya.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Khorvinus wrote:
well, my apologies for trying to be open minded on an open forum. granted, its been brought up before, and granted it probably wont happen just thought it would be fun to bounce ideas off of eachother to come up with something that can be viable to the game.....wont happen again, i promise ya.

Why apologize?
We see nothing wrong with with what you did.
You should be able to bring up anything you want.
And you should expect any comment others want.
(within reason)

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
MarmaDuke
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Khor, I'm pretty sure that the sentiment above of is not one of negativity towards you, your ideas or your enthusiasm on the topic. Instead I believe what you are reading is the frustration and capitulation by the manager population that nothing will change due to either RSI's inability to make change on a certain level, or their unwillingness to make it happen.

Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight.... unless it's against my warriors on the sands!

Deviation, State of Mind, Da Dog Powndaz, Pyromania, Rap Attacks, Slamma Jamma

May your blades always be sharp, and your opponents armor always have rust.....
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MarmaDuke wrote:
frustration and capitulation by the manager population

and don't forget complacency, as long as we're using the big words :p

But yeah really, don't take offense where none was given. If you didn't hear what you wanted to, well then, welcome to the club.

RascallyRabbit
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I say bring back the FE Bug, that'll liven things up in Primus Twisted Evil

"Every day life gives us 10,000 chances, all we have to do is reach out and take just one"
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic