New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104511

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Yet another skill question
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Seraphim53
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The_Master wrote:
tas2826 wrote:
Okay another skill question.

How do you determine when you are bonused?

I get the obvious ones, like:

- Ambidextrous get a +1 on attack

- If you use the charts or TB and determine your warriors starting skills and it comes out 12 on attack, then you submit him and his overview comes back expert in attack, then you know he is at least +2 bonused

First, am I correct on the above two points?

Second, let's say I roll a guy and he is 10 attack initially, is there any way to determine if he is say, +2 attack bonused?

Maybe this is in the charts and I am missing it. Thanks in advance for the help.

This is me, sorry, cookies logged me in on the old account.

Also, above, clarification:

- If you use the charts or TB and determine your warriors starting skills and it comes out 12 on attack, then you submit him and his overview comes back expert in attack, then you know he is at least +2 bonused

that would actually be +4 bonused. Not sure if that is possible, but illustrates the question.

If on your test design you see he should be +12 Attack and he comes back with an expert, then you are right he was bonused +4 to attack.

To clarify, the skill bonuses do NOT count towards the 20 learned skills. It would look something like this:

Your design should be +12 Attack. He comes back with Expert already which means +4 in Attack. He then spends 20 fights and learns 20 Attack skills (Putting him at 36 attack skills total, or Advanced master +2) You could then train any stat that gave you attack up to 21max before ever getting in to ADM.

Some things to remember, Not every style is able to be bonused everywhere. For example I 'think' strikers are unable to be bonused in parry (though it may be total parry that can't...) and some styles are bonused in some areas more often than others.

Such as it's not unusual to see a slasher bonused in initiative, bashers seem to like to come with extra attack.

There are sometimes ways to see IF your warrior is bonused based on his wit statement, and sometimes you can even tell by how much. The easiest way is to simply wait till you get a rating in the skill (such as expert) and then subtract the skills you've learned and see if the numbers you were supposed to have and the numbers you actually have match.

Bonuses (and being 'hosed') are what most managers who love the tournaments really try for. Having a 17 wit, will, Deftness warrior is nice, but that same warrior that was blessed at birth with +4 attack, +4 defense and some extra Decise is the kind of warrior that managers want clones of.

You can usually associate a heavily bonused warrior with tourney victor or even tourney champion.. specially if he comes with nice bonuses and nice favorite weapons. (such as Aimed blows who have a fist favorite weapon).

Hope that answers your questions. If not feel free to ask for more clarification.

"The easiest way to win is to knock them down and kill them"Mannequin
The_Master
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Madwand and Seraphim, thanks, I think that clears it up for me.

The Master, mgr of:
Dark Overlords (21)
Giant Killers (32)
The 80's (33)
Satans Pride (12)
Land of Prydain (81)
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The_Master wrote:
Madwand and Seraphim, thanks, I think that clears it up for me.

The Master,
This spot is posting in DM93 this upcoming turn. It refers to information available on Terrablood (in some cases automated into Terrablood) and should help you determine skill hosing/blessing a little better.

WARRIOR SKILL BASE, A REAL LIFE EXAMPLE

Settle down class. Get rid of that gum, Lugh. Assur, quit passing notes to Jorja. Quiet down; quiet down.
Today, using the CIC (I am sure you all have requested and received your copies from RSI by now.) we will take a real life example to predict and determine starting skills. This example, coupled with last turn’s lecture should put you in a good position to pass the final. Take good notes, students!
“Chronic Pain” 32-4593 of team Disillusioned was designed from 5-6-18-10-8-10-13 to be a 9-6-18-15-9-10-17 striker. First, we will predict his skill base. Then we will observe his initial warrior profile. Lastly, we will summarize what we know about any skill bonuses he might have.
For the purposes of this lecture, we will use the following code: for stats – ST = strength, CN = con, SZ = size, WT = wit, WL = will, SP = speed, and DF = deftness; for skills – I = initiative, R = riposte, A = attack, P = parry, F = defense, and D = decisiveness.
Using the BAGMAN2 SKILL CHART from the CIC, we see that:
9 ST provides 2 A and 2 P
6 CN provides no skills
18 SZ provides 2 I and negative/minus 2 P and 2 F
15 WT provides 9 I, 3 R, 7 A, 7 F, and 2 D
9 WL provides 2 A, 2 P, 2 F, 3 D
10 SP provides 2 I, 3 R, 2 F 4 D
17 DF provides 6 I, 7 R, 8 A, 8 P, 8 F
Totaling this created skills of 17,13,19,10,17,9 (always speak I,R,A,P,F,D in that order)
Sounds pretty awesome so far! But next we must apply the style modifications, from the STYLE MODIFIER CHART on the CIC. This warrior is a STRIKER, and the chart indicates that striker skill mods are -7, -4, -12, -9, -12, -1. (Again, always using the order, I,R,A,P,F,D.) A different style would have quite different modifiers, all of which are zero or negative modifiers.
Combining(adding) the skills from BAGMAN2 and STYLE MODIFIER indicates that Chronic Pain would expect starting skills of 10I ,9R ,7A,1P ,5F ,8D. One note to this is that on the Terrablood website is a module which allows one to input the stat numbers and the starting skills and the expected warrior profile is provided. But, today, we are learning “long hand”.
O.k., now, let’s check to see if we can predict any wit statements. (Wit statements, if any, always appear on the warrior profile just below the intelligence/wit level.) These are key to determining skill bonuses or hoses. Using the HIGH WIT STATEMENT chart, checking first initiative (I), we see that at 15WT (In this example, we will always use the 15WT line on each skill because the warrior in question has 15WT.), and low order, 10-12 skills should provide a “With a very aggressive and clever fighting skill” statement.. Continuing to riposte, we have nine skills which is lower that the low order requirement of 10, so we should expect no riposte statement. Our expected 7 attack skills do, however, indicate that we should get the “Has an unusual fighting style that confuses many opponents” statement. Our one parry skill will not get us a statement as 6 skills are required to get anything. And lastly, our 5 defense skills should get us the low order (3-6 base skills required) defense statement of “avoids blows well”. To summarize we expect three wit statements, one each for I, A, and F.
Using the CIC, we can also predict endurance, punishment level (hit points), carry, and damage-doing, so let’s also do that. Endurance = WLx(ST+CN) = 9x(9+6) = 135, which indicates “very little” on the CIC. Hit points are 3.75CN+(1.1SZ+0.4WL) =
3.75x6 + (1.1x18 + 0.4X9) = 22.5+19.8+3.6 = 45.9 = “Cannot take a lot”. Carry (per the encumbrance chart) for 9ST and 6 CN = “A carry”, which is very little or 9 points carry max. And lastly, damage-doing, per the damage chart, for 9ST and 18SZ = “great”.
We have concluded our “predictions” or “expectations”, and when we get the warrior profile, w will know what the warrior truly has, and whether or not he is hosed or bonused anywhere. So let’s see what the actual Chronic Pain warrior profile said.
………………………………………………….
CHRONIC PAIN
Fights using the STRIKING ATTACK style
Is AMBIDEXTROUS
Is INTELLIGENT
nothing short of a genius at keeping his foes off balance and in trouble
has an unusual fighting style that confuses many opponents
avoids blows well
has POOR ENDURANCE
CANNOT take a LOT of PUNISHMENT
Can only carry a VERY LITTLE WEIGHT in armor and weapons
Does GREAT DAMAGE
STRENGTH = 9
CONSTITUTION = 6
SIZE = 18
WIT = 15
WILL = 9
SPEED = 10
DEFTNESS = 17
………………………………………………………
So what does this profile tell us about the warrior. First, accept that the profile is “true”. We may have been calculating and predicting from charts and data before, but what is on the profile is the warrior in fact.
Notice first, the ambidextrous bonus. This is special. Being left or right handed is merely a statement, but being ambidextrous adds one attack skill o the warrior’s base. Had we known the warrior was going to be ambi, we would have added one attack skill to our prediction, making his predicted base attack at 8. (But, of course, we didn’t/couldn’t.)
The warrior has three statements under wit/intelligence. The first is the Initiative statement, but not the one we predicted. If you look on the HIGH WIT chart, you will see that the “nothing short of genius …” is a high order statement, indicating 13+ Init skills! Great! We predicted 10!. He as 13I+. Therefore, he is bonused +3 or +4. As to riposte, we expected no statement at 9 skills, and he got none. Hence, we could consider that he is mode, but, in actuality, we only truly know he has less than 10 R skills since he received no statement. He could , then, be less than 9. Therefore, we know he is mode to -4 R. (+ or – 4 is the most blessing/hosing possible.) Moving on to attack, where we expect the low order statement for 7-9 A skills. This is even after we added the one A to our calculated 7 base for the ambi condition. Surely enough, we received the “has an unusual fighting ….”we expected, so we know this warrior has 7-9 A skills. We expect 8, so he could be from -1 to +1A. There is no wit statement for parry, nor did we expect one as his expected 1P is less than the low wit minimum of three. What we know, then, is that he could have 2P and be +1, or he could have two less than we calculated and be hosed. (It is probably important to state at this time that, depending on style, warriors are sometimes limited to which skills can be hosed or bonused. But that is a lecture for another day.) Last, then comes defense, where our calculated 5F indicated that we should get the low wit statement of “avoids blows well’ and this warrior did get it. We now know he has 3 to 6 F skills so he could be -2 hosed to +1 bonused. There is no wit statement for decisiveness.
One last offering, you can know even more about your warrior’s starting skills if he were to start with a rating (e.g. expert attack) as you would then know that your warrior has between 16-19 skills in that category. There are a few very fine warriors that even start with an Advanced Expert in a skill. (20 skills +)
Let’s make a final check of endurance and damage-doing. The charts predicted very little endurance, and the warrior received poor. He may be slightly bonused. The warrior received the great damage-doing our charts predicted, so he is probably mode.
There you have it. Your last example of evaluating the warrior’s starting skill base. Learn it. Have the charts available. You will definitely be tested on this subject on your final.
Teacher

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
The_Master
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for taking the time to put that together, well done.

One question, and maybe I should know this, but what is the "CIC"?

The Master, mgr of:
Dark Overlords (21)
Giant Killers (32)
The 80's (33)
Satans Pride (12)
Land of Prydain (81)
Seraphim53
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The_Master wrote:

Input calculator where you get the rough draft of what your warrior 'should' look like.

Available on terrabloods website, and Assur's old palm tracker.

"The easiest way to win is to knock them down and kill them"Mannequin
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Seraphim53 wrote:
Some things to remember, Not every style is able to be bonused everywhere. For example I 'think' strikers are unable to be bonused in parry (though it may be total parry that can't...) and some styles are bonused in some areas more often than others.

Just to help you out, here are the styles and the skills they can / cannot be bonus/hose in (doing this from memory, so if others see a mistake correct it so we don't lead him astray - inadvertantly):

AB -- cannot be bonused in DEC

BA -- cannot be bonused in RIP and DEC

LU -- can be bonused in all skills

PL -- can be bonused in all skills

PR -- can be bonused in all skills

PS -- can be bonused in all skills

SL -- can be bonused in all skills

ST -- cannot be bonused in ATT (apart from +1 for Ambidexterity)

TP -- cannot be bonused in PAR

WS -- can ONLY be bonused in ATT and PAR

I also have a priority skill chart around here somewhere that gives you an idea of what skills most styles tend to learn the most and which ones they shun. I'll see if I can find it just to give you a little insight on styles and learning tendencies (may help in picking out favorite learn more easily).

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The_Master wrote:

Stands for "Consortium Information Collection"

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum