New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - GAME THEORY ... New Games ...
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I received this e mail from Deke. I mean no disrespect to him by posting it. I believe many of you may have some input that might be valuable to him. Therefore:
Wayne,

This is Deke Young, and old Duelmasters player. I am looking for feedback on what makes a good game.

After a 6 year delay I am going to start working on my Primalstone project again. A web based, once a day game of team combat. Part of designing any good game is to understand your player base. I am asking your opinion about gaming in general, not just in reference to my project.

-------------

Back in 2006 my younger brother Mike dies of a brain tumor and I felt a need to create something to show for my life, as Mike was the creative sibling in my family. I dumped a lot of hours into Primalstones, hit a programming wall in 2007 and became unemployed in 2008. As things are stable at work so I am going to restart my project. First I thought I would share some fundamental gaming concepts with you as my perspective and motivations for the project.

As of today, my most restrictive factor in gaming is time of the day. I am on this schedule that wakes up early in the morning, at work 2 hours early to catch up on my paperwork before my regular sales job starts. In sales more hours really does mean more revenue. I am home most nights by 6:30 PM, and I only have an hour or two before going to bed. I am looking for a game where I can spend between 20 minutes and a couple of hours anywhere inside a 24-hour day. With the new mobile technology our there I am hoping for the ability to check status and send in a nominal effort turn over the phone, though my intent is that this is a PC game and optionally a PC augmented by tabletop visual aid game.

I have played golf and struggle to watch golf, though I do not really call it sport. Because golfers are really not playing against each other, they are both playing against the course at about the same time. For me part of gaming is anticipating what the other player will do, and taking direct steps to modify what you will do based on your opponent as much as the situation. I also want to know who I am playing before I submit a strategy.

While I like developmental campaign games, I want today’s victory to be just as important as the long term goal. I dislike games where you are just trying to endure today in order to play in the future “when it really matters.”

I am adamant in publishing all the formulas and rule sets. I hate having to learn to play the game system. I want my players to focus on beating their opponent instead of reverse engineering the source code. If all of the formulas are out there on day one, there will be less complaining in year three about how we are trying to screw player A or race X.

I want players to have great information about their match and fair information about other players matches. I foresee a game where you will read your turns in detail, but will also read other players turns, like watching a sporting event. I also like that sporting events have seasons, and that there are rule changes on a scheduled interval.

There are casual players, power games and total obsessive gamers. One type can ruin the experience for another. I intend to genereate serveral "game universes" with seperate rules for each. This will allow players to choose which enviorment they want to join, or to join them all. Some will be free, some will have a base fee, and one will allow for a truely unlimited game.

I plan on having a face-to-face version of the game powered by networked laptops. These in person events will use a mirror version of the campaign database. I want to goal to be victory, not development.

While these are my personal preferences, they are not shared by all. I would appreciate your time if you could comment on my gaming philosophies above and let me know how they compare to yours.

Deke

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Deke
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I welcome all comments and perpectives sent to DekeYoung@Comcast.net

http://www.delefax.com/ARKYN/Delefax_Web_Portal.html
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Deke
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am in the process of reponding to all the email feedback with a point by point response.

-Deke

DekeYoung@Comcast.net

http://www.delefax.com/ARKYN/Delefax_Web_Portal.html
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic