New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104511

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Understanding Good WIT Statements
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been looking at Warrior Overviews and trying to evaluate them to decide future potential. One thing I've been reviewing are how many WIT Statements and whether they are "High-level" or "Low-level" ones according to Terrablood's "Good Wit Statements" chart. (For reference: http://www.terrablood.com/good-wit-statements/ ...) It is stated that this table "... helps pinpoint his starting skill levels".

Here is an example of a VERY INTELLIGENT warrior (WT:17) who has five WIT Statements. Included are the additional comments from the Terrablood chart:
    FIRST STATEMENT - INITIATIVE ... low-order (10-12 base)
      seldom hesitates, moves instantly if given an opportunity
    SECOND STATEMENT - RIPOSTE ... high-order (13+ base)
      is a very crafty fighter
    THIRD STATEMENT - ATTACK ... high-order (10+ base)
      uses an unusual fighting style, deadly to slower, less active foes
    FOURTH STATEMENT - PARRY ... low-order (6-9 base)
      has learned the finer points of parrying
    FIFTH STATEMENT - DEFENSE ... high-order (7+ base)
      has turned avoiding blows into an art form
Following are some of my questions:
    (1) How should I evaluate this warrior?
    (2) When there are no statements, does that mean the Skill area is "mode"?
    (3) Is the "low order" WIT Statement "worse" than not having one at all in a given area?
I'd really like to see an example explaining how I can use this information to "rank" my various warriors (understanding that there are many other factors involved such as style and luck).

Thanks,
TRIM, Mgr of SOUND in DM-35
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would recommend reading the topic titled Skills in the New and Returning Members forum. A link is below:

www.reality.com/duel2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3776

It gives a pretty good rundown of what wit statements indicate and how to figure out if your warrior is bonused, mode, or hosed.

The short answer is that wit statements indicate the starting skill range. If you know what a perfectly normal warrior with your attributes should look like (say, by using Terrablood's Warrior Generator), then you can use the wit statements and activity statements to determine if the warrior has more or less of a given skill then he normally should.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OAB, as usual, has the good scoop, all I can do is add a little more. Perhaps this article from DM93 will be helpful: (see below)

One Armed Bandit wrote:
I would recommend reading the topic titled Skills in the New and Returning Members forum. A link is below:

www.reality.com/duel2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3776

It gives a pretty good rundown of what wit statements indicate and how to figure out if your warrior is bonused, mode, or hosed.

The short answer is that wit statements indicate the starting skill range. If you know what a perfectly normal warrior with your attributes should look like (say, by using Terrablood's Warrior Generator), then you can use the wit statements and activity statements to determine if the warrior has more or less of a given skill then he normally should.

What can you do with the Consortium Information Collection (CIC)? How does one use all that info? Contact RSI or Jorja in DM93 to get a copy.
You can use the information to:
1. Predict what your designed warrior is going to look like. (Indeed, you can use the info to “try out” several design ideas, before you choose your final design.
2. Review the overview of the warrior you received to see if he/she is bonused/hosed.
3. Help keep track of the warrior’s skills, including those earned from certain stat raises.
4. Determine advantageous and usable weapons and armor for certain situations.
So let’s examine the CIC in detail.
1. ***DAMAGE CHART*** This chart shows you the range of expected damage doing your character will yield. For example, a SZ16, 10ST warrior yields “-R+”, meaning great damage is typical, but lower and higher are not uncommon. Damage doing is dependent on SZ, ST, and luck of the roll. If a warrior is much below, or much above, the chart predictions, he is “hosed” or “blessed”. This chart is more of generic reference than most of the other information.
2. *** HIT POINTS*** HP is calculated as (3.75xCN)+(1.1xSZ)+(0.4xWL) . This chart shows the HP needed for each rating. For example, an 11-10-8-15-17-12-11 warrior would have(3.75x10)+(1.1X8)+(0.4x17)=53.10HP and his “hit point rating” would be “cannot lot”, meaning cannot take a lot of damage. One raise of CN elevates him to 56.85 and “normal HP”.
3. ***ENDURANCE*** By this chart’s definition, endurance equals (WL)x(ST+CN) Using the warrior mentioned above, endurance is (17)x(11+10) = 357. Based on the chart, this warrior should have “normal endurance. It is possible to be hosed/blessed in endurance, which would be the case if this warrior did not have normal. Note: On a warrior profile sheet, the lack of any comment about endurance, means the warrior has normal.
4. ***COORDINATION*** Coordination is merely SP + CN. There is no hosing or blessing. The warrior listed above has 12+11 = 23 or normal coordination.
5. ***ENCUMBRANCE*** is often called “carry”. Carry is a non-hosed/blessed attribute dependent on ST and CN and it indicates how much weight a warrior can carry without penalizing the endurance. Checking the chart for the above listed warrior shows 11ST/10CN yields “B” carry, or “cannot carry a lot of weight”. Each level of carry adds 9 points of weight that can be carried. A = 9; B = 18; C = 27, etc. Items to be carried are armor, helm, and weapon/shields. Check the WEAPON REQUIREMENT chart to see the weights of weapons and armor. As an example, a warrior wearing ASM/H, and carrying BS/ME and a backup SH, has the following weights of 8 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 2 = 19. That amount of carry is more than the 18 indicated for “B carry”, hence, the warrior out much quicker than normal.
6. ***HEIGHT*** this is a simple conversion chart showing what heights equate to what SZ. While the warrior fight summary may list the warrior in ft-in, the D2 program really runs using the SZ number. Size may limit weapons or shields that may be used without penalty, and as seen above, it impacts certain other characteristics.
7. ***INTELLIGENCE*** This chart indicates the intelligence statement you will receive at each numeric WT. In general, only the numeric value is of importance.
8. ***STYLE SUITABILITY*** This is a chart which summarizes which weapons/shields are suitable, marginal, or unsuitable for which styles.
9. ***WEAPON REQUIREMENTS*** This chart only refers to primary-hand weapons, and it is a terrific summary of weapon requirement and impact. This chart reveals all of the following and more:
a. weapon weights
b. ST requirements for a weapon
c. SZ limitations for a weapon
d. WT requirements for all weapons
e. DF requirements for a weapon
f. Weapon impact vs. armor type
g. Kill “ratings” for weapons (Take this rating with a “grain of salt” as it is not really supported by empirical results, and it appears to say heavy weapons kill better.)
h. Whether the weapon is a slash, bash, or lunge type weapon.
10. ***BAGMAN 2 SKILL CHART AND STYLE MODIFIERS*** This chart is a doozy! It took years of data and development, and has become a highly important tool in D2. The SKILL CHART explains what skills are earned at each stat level. For example: at 5 WL the warrior gets 1 each Attack, Parry, Defense, and Decisiveness skill; at 6 WL, no more skills are earned; but bumping the 7WL again adds one each of those same four. Note also that SZ does impact skills. A SZ3 warrior gets two each defense and parry skills and loses two initiative, while a SZ21 earns 4 initiative but loses four each defense and parry. This chart is prepared in an accumulative fashion, showing the total skills at each stat.
Coupled with that chart the STYLE MODIFIER chart shows the “at birth” style modifications. (All negative
Or zero. Each style starts with a different base of skills. Lets take our previously mentioned 11-10-8-15-17-
12-11 warrior for example, and let’s say he is a slasher.
The skill chart shows 2 each attack and parry skills at 11 ST; no skills for CN; no sk1lls for SZ; at 15WT
9 initiative, 3 riposte, 7 attack, 7 defense, and 2 decisiveness; 4 each attack, parry and defense plus 5 decise at
17WL; 3 init, 4 riposte, 2 defense, and 5 decise at 12SP; and at 11DF there are 3 Init, 4 Riposte, and 5 each
attack, parry and defense skills. Add those all together to get a 15Init-11Rip-18Att-11Par-18Def-12Dec total
of skills for that design. Now you must apply the style modifier chart, and a slasher has as follows:
-2 Init, -4Rip, -8Att, -10Par, -12Def, -2Dec. Putting them both together yields a slasher who should expect
13 Initiative, 7 Riposte, 10 Attack, 1 Parry, 6 Defense, and 11 Decisiveness as starting skills.
11. ***HIGH WIT STATEMENTS*** These statements apply to those warriors with 8+ WT. (There are also Low Wit Statements, but that information summary is inaccurate due to lack of input data.) This list indicates what “statements” should appear on your “warrior profile” for each of Initiative, Riposte, Attack, Parry, and Defense per each level of wit. Using our warrior above, as stated, he is expected to start with 13 Initiative skills. He has 15 WT. Examining the chart, under Initiative and across from 15 WT (which also applies for 16WT, since the next listed level is 17), the left side (high order) is for 13+base init skills, and the right side (low order 10-12 base init). We determined that he should start with 13, so we should expect the statement “Nothing short of genius …”. If we do get this statement as expected, we DO have 13+ Initiative skills. (13 min) Hence, we could be bonused with skills above 13. We would know if we were bonused 3 Init skills, as we would start with an expert in Initiative. However, if, indeed, we received the other statement “With a very aggressive …..”, we would know we started with 10-12 Initiative skills, and were hence hosed 1 to 3 initiative skills.
Let’s try one more example – for Riposte. Our skill evaluations showed him to have 7 skills. Looking at
the HIGH WIT chart at 15WT, he has fewer skills than the low order amount of 10-12, so he should expect
no riposte statement. If he did get the low order statement, then he truly has at least 10 riposte skills, so he is
bonused +3 or +4 (4 is max skill hose or bonus.) Evaluating the high wit statements of all five skill areas
(There is none for decisiveness.) will lead to a true and actual understanding of the starting skill set of any
warrior.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

trmweb wrote:
Following are some of my questions:
    (1) How should I evaluate this warrior?

Enter his stats on Terrablood's Warrior Generator, then compare the statements to see if he got any bonuses.
    (2) When there are no statements, does that mean the Skill area is "mode"?

Not really... "mode" simply means that he got exactly the skill level expected, no more, no less. Lack of a statement means his skill level is not high enough to warrant a statement.
    (3) Is the "low order" WIT Statement "worse" than not having one at all in a given area?

No. lack of a statement is the lowest rank, low order is the next highest, followed by high order being the highest of all.

I'd really like to see an example explaining how I can use this information to "rank" my various warriors (understanding that there are many other factors involved such as style and luck).
Thanks,
TRIM, Mgr of SOUND in DM-35

OK... Here is an AB that I made at last year's Tempe F2F:
7-13-7-17-15-4-21. When I run him through the warrior generator, it spits out 7/5/16/7/9/7 for mode stats. IOW, 16 = exactly Expert Attack. When the overview came back with Advanced Expert Attack (and not ambidextrous, which adds +1 Att), I knew right then that he was bonused with +4 Attack.

Another example using statements: Lunger 12-5-10-17-17-10-13. Run him through the generator and it says 12/8/14/4/10/10. Now, on the overview he got the statement "does a lot of little things well" (this statement does not show up on the generator). That statement tells me that his actual base Riposte rating is between 10 and 12. Since it was expected to be 8, I know from this that he is bonused with either +2, +3, or +4 Riposte.
Now, I can take that a little further by looking at the activity statement. The generator says he should have the statement "is a VERY ACTIVE fighter". His Overview statement says "Is INCREDIBLY QUICK and ACTIVE". Now, we go look at Terrablood's Warrior Activity chart. By now I know that his Initiative is base 12 because his skill learns have confirmed it. So, if I look at the chart and go down the 12 Init column until I see IQA, I can project that he MUST have a base 12 Riposte (+4) as well, or he would not have gotten that particular activity statement.

trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Guys,
You all make quite a team! I appreciate all your answers. You build on each other and together, I think I now get the "full picture".

OAB -- I've read that Skill document you suggested and it is one reason I opened this topic. However, at your urging, I re-read it again. It actually makes more sense now than during my first reading. I guess I'm at a "better place" to benefit from it.

Consortium -- You gave me the answer to my "real" question. I really wanted to know how to evaluate my Duel2 warriors, not just the WT Statements. After reading your comments I even looked at the Terrablood Warrior Generator page in a new light. There are a lot of things on that initial generator page that I think overlap your CIC, even though some of it may be "dated" material.

Therefore, I've requested the CIC from Jorda. She forwarded my request to RSI and confirmed I'll be getting the "CIC Package" with my next DM-35 turn. I'm excited about it because I really believe this is what I was "missing" when I tried to fully understand my warriors.

I really appreciate the formulas you included in many of the CIC areas. This helps me understand how this works. Some are obvious, but I know others must have taken a tremendous amount of time and effort to "perfect". I'm also aware that there is this "mysterious factor" that I see in places referred to as, "... the roll of the dice".

Note: One correction item ( ... I'm only mentioning it to help others who might reference this topic): The statement where you wrote, "4. ***COORDINATION*** Coordination is merely SP + CN" should probably read, "4. ***COORDINATION*** Coordination is merely SP + DF". Your example used SP & DF in the calculation.

Buri -- What great examples! I took my time to go through them. When I finished, I found that I now have a realistic way of reviewing each of my warriors to determine if they are "blessed" or "hosed".

Thank you all for this wealth of information. I fully appreciate your help.

Trim
----------------------------------------
TRIM, Mgr of SOUND (15) in DM-35
trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

<duplicate post> Embarassed
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic