New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104512

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Understanding Tournament Timing
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Understanding Tournament Timing

When I grapple with concepts, sometimes it seems like I’m wrestling with opponents. That was the process I went through trying to pull together all the pieces involved in Tournament Timing. I’d like to ask that “all-you-experts” to review the following paragraphs and let me know if I’ on target or not. Also, feel free to add any “tips” that you’ve found effective when preparing warriors for tournaments.

My first step was to define the key terms. These I found in the "Dueltorial Glossary".

(1) FE: Fight Equivalent.
Quote:
The total number of fight experience that your warrior has based on 1 FE per arena fight and 1 FE for every odd-numbered round in a tournament. For odd numbered rounds in a tourney, the FE is rounded up, e.g. 2 tourney fights = 1 FE, 3 tourney fights = 2 FE. Please note that the FE reflected in the Newsletter does not encompass the FE earned in tourneys. Therefore, if you see a Duelmaster with a 2-0-1 record, chances are he has at least 15 fights under his belt and is what you would call a Sandbagger. Your FE determines what tourney classification you will compete in, up to the Freshmen tourney. It is possible to beat a warrior who has a higher FE and still have them ranked above about in the Newsletter.

(2) Timing Out:
Quote:
This is when a manager sits out a warrior to ensure he is competing at the top of his bracket in the next tourney. For example, here are the break points for some of the basic arena tourney brackets:
- Champions: Warriors with 21-30 FE
- Adepts: Warriors with 11-20 FE
- Initiates: Warriors with 5-10 FE
- Apprentices: Warriors with 1-4 FE
A timed out warrior would have 30, 20, 10 or 4 FE in each respective bracket.

Most of my questions were answered with these two very informative “nuggets”. Now, with my more complete understanding of FE and “timing”, my remaining question involved how much each Duel 2 turn will cost. This assumes that some of my active “basic” warriors will “sit-out” a turn or two from normal arena fights. Following is a break-down of turn costs when running a full and partial “stable” of warriors (always think of horses when I use that term!):
    $10.75 for Team of 5 warriors = $2.15 for each (if run full team of 5)
    $9.25 for Team of 4 warriors = $2.31 for each (if run team of 4)
    $7.75 for Team of 3 warriors = $2.58 for each (if run team of 3)
    $6.25 for Team of 2 warriors = $3.13 for each (if run team of 2)
    $4.75 for Team of 1 warrior = $4.75 for each (if run team of 1)
Pulling all this information together, I’ll use an example to determine if I’m really “getting it”. Assume that I’m only planning to send 5 warriors to the tournament. There are two “basic” arena turns before the tournament and as of now my warriors have the stated FE values (from the mini-overviews):

-- 1 has 18 FE's ... want to fight twice before tourney to reach 20 FE which is the “top” of the “Adepts” bracket
-- 1 has 12 FE's ... may want to either skip the tourney or plan to fight “un-timed” to train skills and gain fight experience … I decide to send him to lean skills since he has a WT of 21! (Hey no laughing, it’s my example and I can dream, can’t I!)
-- 2 have 3 FE's ... only want to fight once before tourney to reach 4 FE which is the “top” of the “Apprentices” bracket
-- 1 has 0 FE's ... don't want to fight at all before tourney since he is already at the “top” of the “Rookie” bracket
    1st Turn involves running only 4 of 5 warriors costing $9.25 (1st, 2nd, and 3rd group)
    2nd Turn involves running only 2 of 5 warriors costing $6.25 (1st and 2ndgroup only)
At tournament time, I now have four “timed” fighters who will fight at the top of their respective brackets. The remaining guy will probably average 5 skill learns per fight since he is so blessed (or he might get killed in the first tourney fight like my AB did last tourney!).

Again, I’m still trying to “pin-down” these ideas and would appreciate confirmation and tips from those with more experience than me.

Thanks,
Trim
---------------------------------
Mgr of SOUND (15) in DM-35
Otto_X
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If I understood your post correctly, I think you understand the FE concept. Basic DM tournaments are classed based on FE at the time of the tourney. It's pretty simple -- the goal is to fight only those warriors who are at the FE cutoff for their class.

If you have 18 FE, and there are two turns before the tourney, and you fight in both turns, you will have 20 FE at tourney time and you will fight as an adept. If you don't fight in either turn, you have 18 FE at tourney time and you'd still fight as an adept, but not as good a one as you could be if you'd had 20 FE.

Some people will run in tourneys for skill training, because if you go far enough, it's cheaper than running in an arena, especially for a one-man tourney team. It's risky, but you have to judge A) how far you are likely to go in said tourney, and B) how likely you are to die vs. the chance of dying in the arena in order to gain the same FE.

Rounds Cost per FE
1-2 $7
3-4 $3.50
5-6 $2.33
7-8 $1.75
9-10 $1.40

Compare those costs to the cost per FE in the arena. If you can go 6 rounds in a tourney, you're better off than running 3 turns in an arena, in most cases. On a one-man tourney team, you only have to go 1-3 to break even.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That all sounds correct to me.

As a guy who runs a number of full tourney-oriented teams, my only suggestion would be to not run the 14 FE guy. Your 20 FE guy will probably end up around 24 FE after the tourney, and you can run them both to their respective break points at the same time. It'll end up being cheaper and safer to do it that way.

The exception to this is single warrior teams. Running a single warrior for 6 turns is so cost prohibitive at $4.75/turn, that it becomes more efficient to enter the 14 FE warrior in a tournament. You'll see many serious tournament managers do this: buy team roll-ups en masse, place the roll-ups in DM-84, run the cream of the crop as tourney warriors even if they are the only good warrior on the sheet. You get good results with this method as you can be absolutely ruthless about who is worth running, but its a bit more expensive than running full teams in small arenas.

To each his own.
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
You'll see many serious tournament managers do this: buy team roll-ups en masse, place the roll-ups in DM-84, run the cream of the crop as tourney warriors even if they are the only good warrior on the sheet. You get good results with this method as you can be absolutely ruthless about who is worth running, but its a bit more expensive than running full teams in small arenas.

To expand on this a bit, what I (and others) will do is send those one-warrior teams to 84, then DA the rest of the team. However, I've found it is more expensive to DA, than to just get new rollup sheets. It does produce a different batch of rollups, though. Since it's 84, we don't give a crap about team records, and with any luck we can get 2-3 good ones on the same team, to offset costs a little.

Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Otto_X wrote:

Some people will run in tourneys for skill training, because if you go far enough, it's cheaper than running in an arena, especially for a one-man tourney team. It's risky, but you have to judge A) how far you are likely to go in said tourney, and B) how likely you are to die vs. the chance of dying in the arena in order to gain the same FE.

That is the only reason I go to tourneys. I don't expect to get a tourney champion or tourney victor with all of the tourney babies competing.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic