New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104511

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 3-10-11-15-13-15-3
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Padre wrote:
The Consortium:
1. Old is 78 years.
2. My purpose for mentioning that was, while I still handle new things
pretty well, I do not remember a lot of long term things.
3. Thanks for the welcome!

OK, well you are old! We rescind our statement. We feel comfortable speaking of agedness, since we are (were?) the oldest active regular arena manager at 67. Papa Bear remains the oldest in tournaments and Primus at 70+ (but not 78!) So DOUBLY welcome!

And if there is anything we old coots can do to help each other put these kids in their proper places, we are willing. Wink

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We are not going to pass up at 21 WT.
With that SP to work with, it is likely an offensive.
With that ST to work with, it is unlikely to be a BA, WS, TP
With that DF to work with, it definitely is not an AB
With the unusual distribution of points, it will be an unusual design anyway.
Since the design is going to be unusual, we are going to take both the 21 WT and the 17 WL or we are going to make a "burner".
HENCE:
3-10-11-21-17-15-7 ST and make that dagger work
or 6-10-11-20-16-15-6, bumping to 7-10-11-21-17-16-7 ST

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Padre wrote:
Well, I have been hesitant about giving my thoughts because I did not want to show how little I know about design, but my impulse is to go with a ST and the 21 WT, something like 5-10-11-21-13-21-3, just so I can give him a weapon (SH). I only give up 1 decise and 1 dodge, but keep the attack skill I gave up by dropping from 15 WL to 13. I checked the suggestions on the warrior simulator and there are a number of good ones. Thanks to all for the input.

Love the double 21's! Didn't see that one, but I rarely look at speed 21. Probably not as 'good' as some other designs, but cool and fun, so I certainly won't knock it!
Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:
6-10-11-20-16-15-6, bumping to 7-10-11-21-17-16-7 ST

This is exactly what I'd do. I had a very similar 7 ST/7 DF Striker run a 66% w/l in the arena somewhat recently. I ran him mostly with a HA and he did just fine.

Enjoy.

Vanek, Manager of the Warmasters (DM-81)
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

78 is old but it beats the alternative.
I didn't think a warrior lost skills reining strength from 7 through 13.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
78 is old but it beats the alternative.
I didn't think a warrior lost skills reining strength from 7 through 13.

We think....
78 is great
no skills are lost 7-13

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nobody told me I was logging on to aarp_dot_com Laughing

Padre The most important stats are WT/WL/DF for almost any style; as a general rule of thumb. The idea is to try and maximize at least 2 of the 3 whenever possible.

Of course "Physicals" (ie Damage, ability to take damage, Endurance, and Carry) also play into a design as well to round out your warrior. Damage is of course coming from ST and SZ; Endurance comes from ST+CN*WL (the generally accepted formula, so a guy with 11 ST, 9 CN, and 21 WL has an endurance number of 420 (11+9=20 times 21 equals 420)); and Carry comes from ST and CN (CN only counts up to the strength number so a 11-15 (ST-CN) has the same carry as an 11-11 because the CN only gives carry up to the ST number, in this case 11), the formula is generally thought to be ST+CN (up to ST, as above) -6 giving you an estimate of the weight in Weapons, Armor, and Backups that you can carry without losing skills and ability due to over-encumbrance. So a 11 ST 15 CN fighter can carry 11+11(not15 in this case)=22-6= 16 points in equipment without becoming over-encumbered; so ARM(6)/F(4) with a LO(3) and a LO(3) backup will not harm this guys skills due to over-encumberance since he's carrying exactly 16. Some styles fight better when well UNDER their carry amount (ST and LU as examples) while others don't seem to be nearly as affected by carrying too much weight (TP and WS come to mind).

An example of an exception to this rule might be a 11-15-5-15-21-6-11 LU who you might choose to give APA/F, and run 6-10-4 x-Dodge or 6-8-5 x-Riposte, to somewhat scum with it, ignoring carry because it can take alot of damage and has good defenses as opposed to high damage! So you hope to tire the opponent out while attacking more and more as the opponent tires. These are commonly called "Tank LUs".

Some styles require decent physicals and high skill bases to succeed, (AB is an excellent example) in general, others can excel with great physicals and low skill bases (TP is the best example). There are always exceptions to every rule in this game, and to many this is where the fun begins.

After all this is said then you have to figure out how to run the poor schlub! Laughing

Do not be discouraged!!! When I played in the 80s, my original team (and only team basically), was 97-132-10 .424%. When I returned in 2000-01 time period it was the first team I re-activated; while making a team in arena 11 as well! That team is THE DEATH SQUAD (63) in Tobir (DM14) for reference. The team now stands at 735-539-40 .577%. That is a record of 638-407-30 .611% since my return. Basically the return was slow at first but I read and studied Terrablood's site, and charts, and learned to manage better. I asked questions here and experimented as well. You can see simply by using the tools (eg charts on Terrablood) at our disposal today and experimentation with almost every warrior I've run I went from a 42% winner to a 61% winner; with my original team. I also just activated a team in 22 to get them tourney timed for the future. They are 21-1-0 .955 since I reactivated them. None are "Godlings" and the arena is small but it's still a 95%+ Laughing . One win is also an OTP (Offensive Total Parry) over an AB in a 5 minute random matching!

What this is, in a nutshell, is me trying to say if you're struggling at winning, I have no idea your W/L % or any of your teams, do NOT be discouraged! Read some articles, arena 93's newsletter usually has some decent stuff in it as well as Terrablood.com, ask some questions, and play around!

And above all else enjoy reading the fights and don't let any lack of success discourage you from continuing on as it WILL get better... and easier!!!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Padre
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Street Legal;
Thanks for all that info. By coincidence, the team this roll-up is on is going to DM 14, so maybe we will meet again there. This warrior will be named Jaguar on a team named Living Large. I got a lot of charts from OAB and have them in my computer for reference and I read all the articles I can find like those in Terrablood's site, so I am learning. Don't be to hard on my team there. Smile
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DM 14 is my home arena therefore it will be run over any other team I may have 99% of the time; I have very limited funds and probably shouldn't be spending any money on RSI's games right now but hey .... they are too much fun .... most of the time. I have always tried to rebuild Tobir to it's early glory days of the 80s, but unfortunately teams have come and gone and it remains a small arena. Hint, Hint to ALL other managers to come and play with me .... in DM14 I should clarify/qualify! Laughing

I have the team on maintenance as sometimes I just cannot remember to send in strat sheets, on time, or am just to busy with other stuff. In DM14 I generally do not try and run teams out by over challenging them due to bad records and such. I generally try to challenge up but due to it's small size I tend to look for good matchups anywhere if I do not see a good chance at victory (40%+ to win by personal choice and estimation) in an upchallenge. High FE warriors tend to get more of my challenges.

I will tell you that THE DOGHOUSE (188) is run by an RSI employee (or friend of the company), named Judith. She goes by Leeta or Jorja or a few other names depending on the arena's affiliation (Delarqan, Andorian, Freeblades). She doesn't make challenges and fights all warriors to death and/or graduation; I have seen a Bloodfeud once or twice and she says she will DA sometimes but I have never seen it happen (I killed a warrior of hers on purpose in DM24 per her something of a request once). They are not always bad warriors, she has some that fight to very good records, but since she rarely makes strategy changes you get to pretty much figure out what you will be facing after you fight each warrior 2 or 3 times. She basically is trying to help increase arenas populations, for RSI, by being in them, and writing personals!

So they are easier wins, in general, I guess is what I am saying! Plus they tend to give good learns due to high FE (Fight Experience) as exampled by: 20-33-0, 93 ; 15-25-0, 76 ; 5-9-0,24 ; 2-9-0,15. She also doesn't fight in tournies so what you see, as far as FE, is what you get!!!

Feel free to ask on the boards for help and I will try to always answer any posts you make! I am by no means a "great" manager but I've built a pretty good base of knowledge for the game; I'd place myself near the top of the second tier of managers in Duel2/Duelmasters I guess. If need be you could PM me as well and I will hopefully see it if you really want a question answered;especially regarding Tobir.

I promise I will try and take it easy on you in 14 and I sincerely hope you come and stay in Tobir and build a VERY succesful team!!! A Tobiran manager will always be a friend to Street Legal! Unless he picks on my young fighters too much! Wink Cool Laughing

So a warm and hearty WELCOME to LIVING LARGE , and especially Jaguar (hopefully he has about a 60% w/l despite his "issues"), when they come to Tobir! You and the warriors can stop by the Guildhouse and we will have a fine feast once you are settled in! Also you and your warriors, can feel free and tell the bartender at the "Gold Dragon Inn" (Tobir's best Tavern I will say, and owned by Street Legal Cool ) you are a friend and you and the team can drink and eat for free; but ONLY on the night before the fights will it be free .... so you all can be "ready" for the next days fights .... you know bloated and hungover Razz !

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Padre
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I will find out if I am learning anything about design because the rest of the DM 14 I rolled up by using Terrablood's warrior simulator and following suggestions in articles and reading a lot of the previous roll-up discussions posted about warriors similar to my team set-up. We will see. Thanks again.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic