New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - MMA Musings
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK King Mo is the first person I've witnessed KO'd by a "Spinning Backfist" and he was literally OUT on his feet to Emmanuel Newton. BIG upset at Bellator!!!

Just have to ask, to anyone willing to venture their opinions, has the new guard moved into the UFC from Strikeforce? I'm less confident about the Light Heavy as Jones is quite a bit younger and, it seems hungrier.

Spider? Can Luke Rockhold get a shot at Silva? First he has to go through Vitor Belfort. This is the fight Dana White considered giving Spider an "out" for the matchup. I still know very little about Rockhold except I hear he could be the guy to squash the Spider. This fight is 5-18-13 (Belfort/Rockhold that is).

On a side-note could Aleksandr Shlemenko (47-7; 28 KOs 7 Subs) pose a threat to Silva if he came over from Bellator? Lots of experience and immense power! I doubt it but he'd certainly have a Puncher's chance and he doesn't lack for skills; although his ground game is lacking; including a tough fight against Hector Lombard.

Bones Jones ? The guy I've wanted to see for a long while in the UFC is now here. Gegard Moussasi (33-3-1; 18 KOs 11 Subs)! He's first going to have to go through Alexander Gustafsson (15-1; 9 KOs 3 Subs), he's not taking the easy route in his first fight on 4-6-13!

Like I said I'm less sure about Rockhold getting a shot but I have little doubt Moussasi can get a title fight fairly soon if he gets through the opposition the UFC puts before him, but can he beat Jones!?!? Granted he has to get by Gustafsson first... no easy task! Should be a BEAST of a fight!

Oh yeah and Moussasi could drop down to Middleweight where he started his career. He's fought at Heavyweight as well.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That King Mo knockout was awesome! I watched it over and over. Never saw anything like it.

I am not sure how much impact the Strikeforce guys are going to have. I don't think any of them will hold the UFC belt.

I am really looking forward to seeing Moussasi vs Gustafsson, should be a great fight. I don't believe either one can really challenge Bones Jones, as he will just take them down and ground n pound em.

Some fantastic fights coming up in the next few months!

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't sleep on "The Dreamcatcher" my friend. Nobody really gave him a shot against Sobral either and he ended that in 1 minute flat! Then what does he do 3 months later, after also having taken out Sokoudjou the prior month, but take on a Super HW and KO him in 1:34 (Gary Goodridge). Granted Goodrige was about 43 but the guy has a pretty good chin against his own weight class and one-time Middleweight Mousassi KOs him as well.

He's trained in Sambo at the old Red Devil/Imperial Club with Fedor also. Here's an exhibition match they had 2 weeks after his Sobral win (sparring starts a bit after 3 minute mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzrxtxIktFQ

The fight I want is Cung Le and Silva but Le never seems to devote to MMA full-time and is now 40 so it's now or never to become a "True" legend and not just a Movie/Internet legend.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well the moment is fast approaching when we get a close look at Luke Rockhold against Vitor Belfort. I guess if you want a title shot, and to be taken seriously in the UFC, you don't take tune-up fights or fight cupcakes. You go right to the top of the division and fight a top contender!

He's already ranked at #5 without a single UFC fight and Belfort is ranked #2. Looks to me that the winner of this fight should probably get the next crack at Spider Silva; unless Silva takes a fight against Jones or GSP. Okami is ranked the #3 Middleweight but he already had his chance. Weidman will likely only get a rematch if he puts on a Sonnen type performance against Silva. So Belfort wins he jumps over Weidman, assuming he loses to Silva, and if Rockhold wins he should vault over Weidman, Okami, and Belfort. The only spoiler in the equation is Bisping who is ranked #4 since dropping down to Middleweight. However #5 beating #2 should be enough to move him ahead of Bisping, unless The 2 face each other for the next shot at Silva.

On the other end there was this reported to the media:

Following UFC 159, which saw Light Heavyweight champ Jon Jones demolish Chael Sonnen in just under one round and sustain a grotesque toe dislocation that will put him on the shelf for an indefinite period, UFC president Dana White just had to tell the reporters assembled for the UFC 159 post-fight media scrum about a call he got from Anderson Silva.

The UFC Middleweight champ apparently called Dana to talk about a potential super fight. Dana wouldn't say if Silva wanted to talk about fighting Jones or Welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre. In fact he quickly turned the talk to Silva's next title defense against Chris Weidman at UFC 162 on July 6 in Las Vegas.

Regardless I'm looking forward to seeing first hand what all the hype over Rockhold is all about!

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well other than an awesome KO that was a letdown. Wonder if Belfort gets a shot at Silva/Weidman winner, or if he'll have to go through Souza first and the winner of that fight will get the champ, or if Silva wins will he go for a Super Fight? He'd probably have to take GSP or wait for Jones' injury to be cleared.

Rockhold looked to be too nervous and unprepared for the pressure. Still too "young"!

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am not going to blame Rockhold there, that was just Belfort being who he is. My guess is he gets a title shot, unless Silva wins and fights Jones. There were a couple of replacement fighters last night. That probably had something to do with the lackluster fights.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If only we could combined Souza's ground game with Belfort's striking we would be facing one helluva fight against Silva Cool

Off the top of my head I can't think of another guy who has a victory distribution like Jacare Souza - 18 wins; 14 subs;1 KO; 3 decisions. If he does it in the UFC it should end any argument there might possibly be about competition level. There shouldn't be because he's done it in world tournaments over many years!

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Forgot one thing. I thought Dunham won that fight 29-28 pretty clearly; just my view. Was Patricia Morse-Jarman judging that fight!? Laughing

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First prelim fight, on FX, fo UFC 161 between Delorme and Figueroa is a technically brilliant fight thus far!

I'm torn on the Hendo/Evans match. Former Michigan State wrestler, Rashad Evans, versus legend Dan Henderson. If it's a short fight it's Hendo if it goes the distance I have to believe Evans will win.

Edit- I didn't see the Facebook prelims, both 29-28 decisions, but this card could be anti-climactic because Delorme v Figueroa might have just been "Fight of the Night"! But there are some very interesting matchups to come! Don't know anything about Nelson's opponent, Stipe Miocic , but these Slavic/Croatian fighters tend to be very tough!

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Is everyone kissing up to Dana White by promoting the UFC 162 Main Event as an upset victory? Or do guys like GSP, Evans, Florian, and Sonnen really believe Weidman WILL win against Spider? Is GSP trying to rile up his old friend to get that "Super Fight" especially since Silva says he doesn't believe he could beat Jones?!

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apparently even Roger Gracie, current submission superfight champ, says he believes Weidman could submit anyone .... even him!

Dana White:

I'm sure it doesn't help when UFC President Dana White announces that "every fighter" is picking Weidman to end the Brazilian's reign, while top jiu-jitsu experts like Roger Gracie are bragging about how good the "All American" is at grappling.

Silva on GSP picking Weidman to submit him:

That didn't sit well with "The Spider" who was asked about St. Pierre's comments on today's UFC 162 media conference call (updates and live blog here), In fact, Silva fired right back, insisting that "Rush" had his chance to accept a "super fight" but chose not to.

"St. Pierre had his chance to pronounce himself fighting me and he chose not to do it. [So] that's what he chose to say."

Middleweight Anderson Silva (c) vs Chris Weidman
Featherweight Frankie Edgar vs. Charles Oliveira
Middleweight Tim Kennedy vs. Roger Gracie -a Gracie sn't won in the UFC since 1994 I heard?!?!
Middleweight Mark Muņoz vs. Tim Boetsch
Featherweight Cub Swanson vs. Dennis Siver want to pick Swanson but Siver is just wicked

Preliminary card (FX)

Middleweight Chris Leben vs. Andrew Craig
Lightweight Norman Parke vs. Kazuki Tokudome
Heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Dave Herman
Lightweight Edson Barboza vs. Rafaello Oliveira

Preliminary card (Facebook)

Welterweight Seth Baczynski vs. Brian Melancon
Welterweight Mike Pierce vs. David Mitchell

And one last INTERESTING note:

Tate in next 'Body Issue.' Following in the footsteps of Ronda Rousey, Cris Cyborg and several others, Miesha Tate is scheduled to appear nude in ESPN the Magazine's annual 'Body Issue.' This year's edition hits newsstands on July 12.

Hard to say who's better looking, Rousey or Tate, for me. Hard to argue that these fighters BODIES are in phenomenal shape, which makes ALL the difference! I hear the 2 are not getting along as coaches for TUF and Dana White says A LOT of footage will clearly not be usable on TV! Shocked Cool Laughing

Thomas Jefferson
Khorvinus
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So my picks are as follows:

Silva via however he feels like ending it.
Edgar via tko
Gracie via submission
Munoz via tko
Siver with the upset ko
Sadly I'm picking Craig over Leben

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I hear ya'! I've probably been the leader of the "Silva needs to lose" pack I just never feel I can pick against him (GSP or Jones might change that). I think Weidman is just too "young".

I would love to pick "The Crippler" who is a likable guy I just have felt he's on the downturn. The Parke and Facebook picks are best guesses due to lack of knowledge of one or both fighters.

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok I will play.

Silva by TKO - Last time I thought someone had a chance was Okami.
Edgar by decision - No quit in him
Kennedy by decision - Gracies have not fared well in UFC lately
Munoz TKO - Will do to Boetsch what Mat Hamel did
Siver by decision - I just like Siver

Criag by decision - Chris 'The original moat monster' Leben has seen better days
Barboza by tko - He is just good
Gonzaga by decision - Didn't think Herman was in UFC yet and don't like him

I really don't know some of the other fighters so I am not going to pick em.

Oh and my vote goes to Tate for the better body over Rousey. Just by her butt (I mean a hair) though!

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

4 for 4 so far! Cool

Miesha Tate fans might like this site:

http://www.cagedinsider.com/girls/miesha-tates-hottest-pics/

Edit- 8 for 10 going into the main event!

Thomas Jefferson
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic