New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104511

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - What advice for a Discouraged Manager?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After a 1-4 turn, your favorite fighter is killed, or your "star" flops, what do you do? I'm curious what advice you'd give to the "discouraged manager".

When I face this situation (like now), my first reaction is to throw up my hands and say, "why do I bother?" Then, after some clarity of thought, I try to figure out what I did wrong. It may take a little time-off to get past the initial discouragement, but I find I'm ready to face facts after a day or two.

Often when I review why things went so bad, it can be easily understood. Plain "bad-luck" is usually the culprit. Random match ups of a fighter with an eight fight advantage (give or take) accounts for many of these losses. The solution to this might be to use the "challenge" to better advantage. Other times, I might have just been experimenting with a new weapon or OE / AL combination that just doesn't work. This means I simply need to try something else.

Sometimes I might (or might not) know what's wrong, but I'm still discouraged. That's when I pull out my main anti-discourage weapon. That is (drum roll please...) I talk to a fellow Dueler. Strange as it may seem, this is what seems to help me the most.

I'm curious if anyone else has gone through a similar dry patch. If so, how did you get out of it?

Trim
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I try not to get to high or to low for one turn. This is a long term game and warriors can turn it around. Take a couple days and just leave your turn sit. When you revisit it your frame of mind might be different. One thing I have done is not play for a turn or two as well. Another thing you can do is Dark Arena your whole team! Good Luck!

gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am th me king of bad turns, last turn in Arvat-32, I managed an 0-5-0-2 with no DAs. I play with less than .500 in all arenas and have been since my return back in 2008. You are going to go thru ups and downs, that is part of the game. I would advice using the DA when there is no hope for a warrior and ask for advice on specific warriors you think look good but just can't seem to win. Some guys just don't live up to potential. You can get good advice from a variety of managers on here as well as on the chatzy site. For faster feed back visit the chatzy site, sticky on the general disscussion section, use the link further down as the initial link has changed.

Chatzy I believe is your best hope for a quick turn around.

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The secret to happiness: low expectations!

I'm only half-kidding. With Duel2, I try to take the long view and not to have too much riding on a single warrior or team. Still, the occasional disappointment is inevitable.

I hope things turn around for you soon. :)
trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gentleben wrote:
I am th me king of bad turns, last turn in Arvat-32, I managed an 0-5-0-2 with no DAs..
Wow! Beware of Killers in Arvat!
Appreciate the feedback from the "King"!

OAB -- You hit the nail-on-the-head! Honestly, I think my 1-4 team isn't as good as I thought & hoped. Adjusting my expectations is exactly what I need as well as taking the long-view of the game. I'm planning to be patient rather than just DAing the team.

Appreciate all the comments.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't let it get you down. Just keep reading the advice here and ask questions. I am relearning the game now and that us what do. I am not the best, but I am learning enough to at least be an annoyance to my opponents. lol
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

An ugly turn is almost always discouraging. Crying or Very sad

Like many of life's disappointments, we consider them there as tests.

Shed a tear.
Examine for the good.
Search for learning.
Stiffen the uppen lip.
Plow forward with renewed committment, and a "I'll show 'em" attitude.

Try to focus on the future and the improvements sure to come. Very Happy

And good luck.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Bad turns? Everyone gets 'em (some more often than others). Wink

The magnitude of the impact is partially tempered by the conditions out in the 'real' world. Sometimes, after a long, long, day, the last thing I want to do is look forward to a good bit of news from RSI, only to be slapped in the face with a bummer of a turn. You look earnestly for a bit of good news and you can't find any. It can be heart-breaking.

However, on a GOOD day in the 'real world', it's easier to just shrug it off and keep playing without a whimper. This last turn in Shadowspire my team went 0-5 and I am not happy about that. But I'm having a decent week in 'real world', so I'm not choked up about it. It's just a game, after all.

I, too, tend to stray from the "accepted norms" and experiment with weapons, tactics, etc. If I didn't do that, I couldn't play this game. If it's all just putting in "those numbers" and reduced to a simple formula then it isn't worth the time to play, is it? On the other side of the coin, when you experiment you have to expect losses to be more prevalent. That's just part of the learning process.

So look HARD at your turn and try to see where you might have made a mistake in rhythm, weapon choice, KD, etc. Write notes to yourself on the bottom of the fight sheet; highlight critical attacks and note which weapons at which rhythms did well and which did not. It is an absorbing and worthwhile practice (which I preach well but have been guilty of neglecting of late! Smile ) and I commend it to you. I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find something worthwhile out of every turn.

One last thought --- I played for years (a long time ago) and rarely dropped below 50%. My arena rarely ran with less than 25 teams, many of them relatively inexperienced; 30+ teams was the norm. Personal ads often ran three pages. Now I run a team in Shadowspire (a no-tourney arena) which has almost always been at the bottom of the rankings. Most of the time there are at least 20 teams (though not always) and most of those are veteran managers. Personal ads fluctuate, though currently it's just me and one or two other managers.

So what's the point? Well... The game has changed significantly in many regards, the most challenging (in my opinion) is the lack of 'new blood' and the resulting 'distillate' of experienced managers. (In short, the coffee pot is running low and as a result it's stronger and more bitter.) Confused But even so, running in last place in a tough arena, I managed to have a fighter on the DM throne for two turns. Remembering that keeps me going sometimes. I need to know/remember that I CAN be successful in this game. One needs to be careful, to be vigilant, and to challenge/avoid carefully... and a little bit of luck is nice! Wink But ANYONE can triumph in the arena, just as anyone may have a terrible turn.

One of life's little challenges is learning to exult in one's victories as an inevitable, proper, and valid right, and view one's defeats as in impersonal hiccup in the cosmic system. Keep moving forward (with due diligence) and it will self-correct --- eventually. Rolling Eyes

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Keep calm and order more rollups Smile

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a HARD game. Even the very best managers have crappy turns and have good guys killed. We're now in an era where most of the basics have been solved, most of the secrets uncovered - which means that everything is pretty balanced.

OAB has it right. Don't have huge expectations and when you do well you're extra happy and when you do poorly, it's not a big deal.

Your top warrior won't win every turn and sometimes they die.

Just have patience and you'll end up coming out the other side and be happier for it.

If the game were easy, the rewards for doing well wouldn't be so great, and likely it wouldn't hold our interest like it does...
theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I suggest you challenge and avoid twice with every warrior on every turn. That's the #1 way for you to optimize who you fight.

You also ought to attend DM Chat regularly. There's a ton of info out there for the taking. New managers and old alike can benefit.

Finally, talk to other players as much as you can. Your POV is always valuable, but the more perspectives you can absorb, the better off you are.

Hope this helps.
theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I suggest you challenge and avoid twice with every warrior on every turn. That's the #1 way for you to optimize who you fight.

You also ought to attend DM Chat regularly. There's a ton of info out there for the taking. New managers and old alike can benefit.

Finally, talk to other players as much as you can. Your POV is always valuable, but the more perspectives you can absorb, the better off you are.

Hope this helps.
theDarkOne
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hope this helps.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic