New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Using the pointy end
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was thinking about this.

What is the highest points of using an epee? 0-8? 0-6?
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I use it against all armor! It has the ability to thrust and I have found it to be reasonably effective against ASM, for lower ST high WT/DF warriors I use it rather than the LO or BS (as examples of the 11 ST alternatives).

I have also used it with quite a few LUs against APM and APA. In fact I would purposely challenge TPs with my LU, Joe Satriani, in Aruak City and he still managed to graduate 14-13-2,winning almost all of his fights against TPs, if not all of them. Running him something like 8-6-6 lunge minute 1 then 5-7-6 riposte tactic after minute 1 (against TPs), it might sound strange but I figured it would minimize his endurance burn, and with good damage/good endurance he would regularly pick apart TPs even if it took 4 or 5 minutes; and landed plenty of "extra damage" shots with 13 ST/ 7 SZ and the aforementioned good damage! He turned out to be a LS fave.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We treat the epee more conservatively than does Street.

In the hands of an aimer - we use it against any armor
Others (including rippers) we use it up to 10. (There are better big armor slash and lunge weapons that do not need the stat requirements.)

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well certainly if the LU has an 11 ST I would more than likely choose the LO but if it seemed to fight better with the EP and was suited, or quite close to suited I would not avoid using the EP against any armor, even APA/F. I was by no means trying to state that the EP does better against Plate Armor than the LO does. I've just had those rare few LUs who seem to NOT like the LO or have a 15 WT/DF (15/13 or 13 /15 suffices) combo and under an 11 ST so the EP is the option of choice in those cases for me!

Due to it having more of a Lunge capability than does the SC it can hit the weaknesses mentioned in the rules: "However, scalemail tends to be heavy in relation to its relative protection, and tends to have various small "chinks" in its armor which can be smashed or pierced."

Also Chainmail has vulnerabilities to being "pierced". In the rules it states it has the same weaknesses and strengths as Rimgmail, only to a greater or lesser degree. So if you look at ARM it says:"Ringmail absorbs most crushing blows very well, but is at a disadvantage versus long, thin bladed weapons. " What is longer and thinner than the EP? Another reason I like the LS against 10-14 armor!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have recently used the Epee with a slasher of mine to good effect, even against plate armor. Small sample, but so far good results. I am starting to like it more.

Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with my warriors. I have some that might benefit from trying different weapons. So, I was thinking about different ones. I remember someone saying that they used epees against plate armour instead of long spears or long swords.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
Okay. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with my warriors. I have some that might benefit from trying different weapons. So, I was thinking about different ones. I remember someone saying that they used epees against plate armour instead of long spears or long swords.

LO and EP may be equal against Plate, I'll leave LO with the advantage just to be giving sound advice and to be responsible about what I advise. I think it, the EP, is rarely used by enough people to get a good read on it, but as to the LS it seems to just bounce off Plate like the spear is made of rubber at times.

Thomas Jefferson
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've noticed that too. It makes such a difference that I use long swords against plate mail and plate with my warriors who are too short for the long spear. you would think that a spear would be better at punching through plate instead of a sword.

The epee makes sense because you can go for the joints. I was also considering the epee because I have a couple of lungers who are not strong enough for long swords or long spears.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
I've noticed that too. It makes such a difference that I use long swords against plate mail and plate with my warriors who are too short for the long spear. you would think that a spear would be better at punching through plate instead of a sword.

The epee makes sense because you can go for the joints. I was also considering the epee because I have a couple of lungers who are not strong enough for long swords or long spears.

As I've stated I'm willing to use the Epee even if I'm not quite suited but I tend to want at least 15 in DF or WT and a 13 in the other. The LO has been used by people, in tournaments, with 3 ST warriors but I assume they are "special" in some way - a godling, an ATT learner, or a known favorite. I have used the LO quite well with as low as a 7 ST at times but the EP is a VERY viable option against all armors; and if your suited but lack the ST for a LO don't be afraid to use it!

In fact I often use it as a backup weapon, especially with LUs, just to possibly get a chance to use it, due to a weapon drop or break, simply to see how the warrior uses it. A somewhat sneaky way to look for favorite weapons. And for a LU the only other option with a weight of 2, like the EP, is the SH which can suffer against ASM or heavier armor (unless you do great damage or better).

Thomas Jefferson
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic