New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Game of Thrones Duel
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So who all saw that duel on last week's Game of Thrones, between the Mountain and Oberon? The whole time I was thinking, this is a fight between a Parry-Lunge and a SZ 21 Striker! Very well done, Oberon's moves were awesome, and when it was all over I couldn't help but think, "hope he gets a good replacement roll-up"!

Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

_Buri_ wrote:
So who all saw that duel on last week's Game of Thrones, between the Mountain and Oberon? The whole time I was thinking, this is a fight between a Parry-Lunge and a SZ 21 Striker! Very well done, Oberon's moves were awesome, and when it was all over I couldn't help but think, "hope he gets a good replacement roll-up"!

I was thinking more along the lines of a LU vs a WS

ragnarokwolf
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd have to say the Mountain was a size 21 tank Basher, armored up with a great sword. I could see Oberyn as a PL or maybe even an AB.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Funny, I just finished watching the episode like 2 minutes ago on HBOGO, then checked the page and here is the thread! Nice! I would concur with ragnar, sz 21 basher vs. an aimed blow. The damned aimers always die in the end!

Best episode yet this season! They are straying a tiny bit from the book, not much though. As awesome as the series is, it is still just the reader's digest version of the books, as most of us know. If you don't, read the books, you won't regret it!

Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stik wrote:
Funny, I just finished watching the episode like 2 minutes ago on HBOGO, then checked the page and here is the thread! Nice! I would concur with ragnar, sz 21 basher vs. an aimed blow. The damned aimers always die in the end!

Best episode yet this season! They are straying a tiny bit from the book, not much though. As awesome as the series is, it is still just the reader's digest version of the books, as most of us know. If you don't, read the books, you won't regret it!

Just a little from the books? That show is an abortion of the books.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
Stik wrote:

"Abortion" is as much an over-statement as is" a tiny bit" an under-statement. Both book and series are WONDERFUL!

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Longshot wrote:
Stik wrote:

Any TV show or movie usually is, because as we all know you can't possibly fit all the details and the back history and the extra little subplots and the auxiliary characters into a half hour or one hour weekly or a 2 hour movie. But I think they've done an incredible job of distilling down the plot line to the scenes they have to have in there and making them count with great acting and incredible costumes and sets/locations.

There are some things I don't like too. I think they've turned Tyrion into way too sympathetic of a character. I don't think they've given Lena Heady enough screen time to be a really nasty Cersei, either. She's become a background character at this point almost. What do you really not like about it?

I think it's kind of intriguing too that some of the ways they've changed the story for the show may point to some things and the directions they may take in the last couple books, too.

Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am not a GoT fan, but I did DVR that episode because I heard about the battle. It was a pretty gruesome death and after I was wondering what his sister said or did to him when she saw him in heaven.

<Gibbs slap to the back of head> WTF were you thinking!?! All you had to do was STFU and kill him!!!

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry. I just don't care for the TV show. It's a travesty.
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am a HUGE fan. I don't care if it diverts from the books. It pretty much absolutely HAS to move away from the books. I loved the books one of my favorite series but nearly 90% of the books are all perspectives or thoughts, you can't actually watch people think about stuff or reflect.

Books will ALWAYS be better than the movies/shows. ALWAYS. I take it for what it is, great acting, a great story and great directing.

_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, it's nowhere near as bad as when Spider-Man's webs became organic for the movie, instead of a device that Peter Parker invented. Running out of web fluid was a regular event for him! Of course, if the webs were really organic, shouldn't they have come out of his butt?

Hombre
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm prefacing this with the fact that I haven't read the books. On that note - I love the show and I'm sure I will continue to watch it, but let's face it, the title should be "Good People are Dumb". The 'good' characters are so conveniently naïve and stupid, that its become expected and just sort of lame. I knew the duel would turn, and sure enough, it did. Really? One of the best fighters in the known world got that way by being careless and under-estimating opponents? It was a great fight, and if it was an isolated incident it would have been a jaw-dropping surprise, but it's just one more time I was left asking myself how did any of these people (the Starks, etc.) make it beyond 12 years old? Very Happy

Again, I'll still be on my couch next Sunday night in hopes that a good character will somehow have the ability to be calculated, clever and make me want to get behind them lol.
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Know what you mean there, Hombre! It generally doesn't go too well for the "good guys!"

I have wanted to mention this regarding GOT for a long time, cause I think it's so cool and a little spooky almost. I am a big Journey fan, and back in 1995 (a year before GOT was released) they put out their reunion album, Trial by Fire, with Steve Perry back. On the CD is a track called "One More." It's like Perry got an advanced copy of the book and was inspired to write this tune! Check it out, one of my favorite songs of theirs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVZKWYBgBcw

Journey One More from Trial by Fire album

Lyrics:
Wicked prophets kill... by speaking his name

In the glory of an innocent age
A king is born to a house filled with rage
One man's fear is another man's truth, one fear

The blind suffer at the hands of sin
Lines are drawn where the boundaries begin
Ten thousand broken, by the madness within
Broken

One more, cry in the night... one more
One more, war left to fight ...one more
One life, cut down by fire
One child's angry desire... one more

Hearts of stone, pride without shame
Wicked prophets, kill while speaking his name
As the heavens, fall from the sky
Fallin'

Brother to brother, blood on their hands
Desolation in the kingdom of man
Holy vengeance is the justice of hell
Mercy, mercy

One more, war left to fight ...one more

Wings of fire... drums of thunder
No more, no more
One more was, was left to fight... one more

One more, one

Slugbait
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Much better duel (or at least my favorite duel in the movies).

Pretty amazing set of duels in the whole movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhwIrONyEzg

Kind of like the DM facing brand new warrior.
Grimwood
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I finally saw the Game of Thrones duel episode. I haven't read the books, but I do appreciate that HBO is showing a well made fantasy series.

I'm going say it was an AB vs. a PS.

Initially for Oberon I was thinking Lunger because of the spear, but reviewing further he didn't move as much as I would have expected with the style. Also, it seemed Oberon was picking his attacks, thus I'm concluding he was using the AB style.

For the Mountain, I didn't see anything resembling a bashing style and I would have thought a striker would have been more mobile even with the armor. For a moment I thought about a TP, as the Mountain is a perfect TP name, but he didn't have two shields. In the end, it seemed the Mountain had some defense and took his time in when swinging his great sword, thus I'll go with the overlooked PS style.

PS I could easily see the Mountain being a WS, as the great sword is it's own barrier without having to constantly spin the weapon.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic