New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104512

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Chicago Face 2014
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lerch
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just wanted to say hi to those managers that remember Lerch...and send my thanks to WAyne, Patrick and Garth it was a pleasure to sit at y'all's table.

Lynn Register aka Lerch.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My tourney, by the numbers:

Entrants: 50
Class breakdown: 3 Primus, 5 Contenders, 1 Eligible, 3 ADM, 3 Freshmen, 1 Challenger, 2 Champs, 1 Adept, 4 Inits, 13 Apps, 14 Rookies
Style breakdown: 9 AB, 7 BA, 8 LU, 2 PL, 1 PR, 1 PS, 4 SL, 9 ST, 5 TP, 4 WS
Record: 183-151-3-3 (55% win/loss)
Awards: 3

I knew this was going to be a tough tournament going in, and I was fully prepared to walk away with 0 TCs. I didn't know how right I was!

Primus

One of the bright spots of my tournament, I entered an almost maxed +5/+4 LU for the first time. He began the tournament 4-1, before reality set in and he ended at 4-3. Still, it was the first time I had a warrior get past round 5 in Primus! In addition, Sushi Slinger went 2-3 and won the SL stylemaster, thanks in part to Grim Reaver killing a better SL (Smelly Socks) in round 3.

Contenders

Nothing of note, here. Entered 5 warriors of 5 different styles who were near the top of the class. Best performance was a 5-3.

Eligibles

Sometimes you spend 4 years prepping a warrior for a bust-out and they reward you with a TC. This was not one of those times. In October of 2009, I runner-up'd the Dead Champs with a 7-5-14-21-9-7-21 AB. Soon after, I graduated him and began trying to figure out how best to make use of him. My strong suit is 21 WL/21 DF ABs, and this was new territory for me. After four years of prep work, Amateur Embalmer looked like this going into the ADM Freeze: 17(10)-13(8)-14-21-21(12)-7-21. His favorites weren't great and he didn't seem that knacky, but I figured with three turns of gateway skills, and two untouched 21s to bust, he had a shot to out-skill the competition. In the three turns leading up to the tournament he learned 14 gateway skills, 5 of which were Attack and 0 of which were Defense. Not terrible. He started off right in the tournament, picking up some WT trains and I was feeling pretty good. Then things went horrible wrong. It started with a loss to a decent TUM LU in round 3, but I chalked that up to bad luck. Then came a loss to a SL in round 6, and that's when I figured out there must be a flaw with my anti-LU/anti-SL strategy. But too late. In round 7 Bilbo Baggini, another busting AB run by TDO, put poor Amateur Embalmer out of his misery.

ADM

My hopeful in ADM was a 21 WL/21 DF AB that I'd been prepping for a similar length of time. He looked perfect on paper for a natural AB. +3 Att/+3 Def, decent weapon (but not Fist). This is the type of AB who I've TC'd and RU'd ADM with before. I won't post his stats since he'll be participating in Eligibles within the next year, but the set-up and bust-out went perfectly. Made a WT train, a SP train, and a WL train (to 22) in the lead up to the tourney, then trained WL to 25 in the early rounds. He hit his trains, but he just got beat. After starting out 3-0, he lost the next three, to a LU, a Fist AB, and finally a ST (!). I'm definitely going to have some thinking to do before the next tourney. The plus side of this warrior is that his half bust leaves him 4-5 skills under the Eligibles line, so he'll have a chance to prep a little more and bust his untouched 21 DF in a future Eligibles tourney.

Freshmen

My two best entries in Freshmen were my sandbagging BA, Surly Deckhand, and (you guessed it) a busting natural AB named Kung Pao Kolactan. Kung Pao Kolactan began life as an 8-3-10-13-21-8-21 AB. Not the type of warrior that I like for ADM or Eligibles because of the low CN. By the time of the ADM Freeze he had 144 total skills, maxed Att, and was 11(3)-8(5)-10-13-21-8-21. Not super, but I figured I could bust the WL and not burn any of those missing Def skills and then set up for an ADM tourney later on. By round 4, he was 4-0 and had finished busting WL to 25. I decided to just go for the TC, and started busting DF as well. By round 8, he was 8-0 with a couple extra DF trains and I was feeling pretty good about a 175 skill undefeated AB in Freshmen. The first reality check came in the form of Sanford's Other Son, Stormlord's busting AB. Kung Pao uses a weapon, Sanford uses the Fist. Sanford came out and started swinging. And kept swinging. And kept swinging. Kung Pao got in a few parries, but otherwise the fight was entirely one-sided. His next setback came in round 12. By this point, Kung Pao was at 180 skills and was fighting TUM's super favorites modified sandbagger, The Uptight Man. I figured with 35 extra skills, I'd wipe the floor with him. How wrong I was! Even with a Grandmaster in Attack, running on favorites, I couldn't hit him. He dodged and punched and kicked and dodged. I got in a few parries with my Epee, but otherwise it was a humbling experience. The final reckoning came in round 14, when Marma Duke's high Init/high Att/high physical LU dodged my first attack, riposted, and ran Kung Pao out of the tournament. As disappointing as it was, an 11-3 showing was not the heartbreaker that Eligibles and ADM was. Kung Pao Kolactan ended the tournament at 185 skills and is now retired. Meanwhile, Surly Deckhand went 7-3 and will be ready to try again in the Fall.

Basic

The basic classes were largely uneventful. I proxied Darque's SL to a 7-3 in Challengers, coming up just short of a TV. My two immortal Champs washed out at 3-3 and 6-3. I ran a number of stat-switch guys and while one produced my only Rookie TV and others showed promise for future tournaments, the best thing I can say about running them is "at least they lived!".

Final Thoughts

At the end of the day, I had a disappointing tourney. 1 Freshmen TV, 1 Apprentices TV, and 1 Rookies TV out of 50 entrants. I busted out three natural 21-21 ABs in Eligibles, ADM, and Freshmen that represented over a decade of prep and didn't end up in a finals fight (ending my five year streak of finals fights, some won and plenty lost). There were bright spots, including getting a ST out of the mail-in Bloodgames, but not enough to make me feel good about the tournament.

While I consider this tournament a failure in many ways, failure has never been terminal. I'll learn from my mistakes in both advanced and basic, in design, preparation and strategy, and will likely do better in the future because of the lessons learned.

Congrats are in order for some managers. Congrats to TMM on his 4 TCs, which pushes him over the 100 TC mark lifetime. An impressive accomplishment that won't be matched any time soon. Congrats to TUM on his 3 TCs, and for he, LHI, and Papa Bear for breaking TMM's strangehold on Primus. Congrats to Mgr on his two TCs. Now that your TC drought is dead and buried, I can go back to rooting against you in the finals! Congrats to Assur on his convincing TC in Apprentices and also to Hollowshade, who won his first TC at his first FtF with his PR in Initiates. Last but not least, congrats to Khisanth, Floyd, Grimm, and Anarchist on their Bloodgames graduates.

Despite the challenges and disappointments of the tournament, I still had a great time and I'm looking forward to the mail-in in the fall. It was great meeting all the new players and seeing the familiar ones again. It says good things about the health of our hobby that so many people made the trip to Chicago.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Duplicate post!
Slugbait
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lerch wrote:
Just wanted to say hi to those managers that remember Lerch...and send my thanks to WAyne, Patrick and Garth it was a pleasure to sit at y'all's table.

Lynn Register aka Lerch.

Really nice to meet you Lynn. Hope to catch you at another FTF.
Otto_X
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lerch wrote:

Lynn Register aka Lerch.

I just now made the connection -- I was wondering who that big guy was that looked kinda familiar. Wow, it's been a long time. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi while you there there.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Otto's mini tourney recap:

Thursday - Deep dish pizza at Giordano's with Crip, DeepThought, TUM, DMobster, Darkheart, Spirit. TUM is a lightweight at eating pizza.

Friday - Small room, 42 guys plus RSI. You do the math. Cubs game with Crip, DeepThought and Darkheart. CUBS WIN! Didn't buy any rookies because I'm running too many as it is. Introduced myself to Hollowshade, Painmaster, Slugbait, Stillgard and all six AA guys. Turns out they're semi-normal people.

Saturday - Mostly doing well. Racking up a lot of kills, but not in bloodgames. There was a tombstone shortage at one point. The AA guys are having way too much fun. What to they think this is a game? Oh yeah, duh. By day's end my TC hopefuls are still unbeaten. Finally get rookies round 6 back and strats in for 7. Get to bed around midnight.

Sunday - Traditionally the day where my grand plans go horribly wrong. My flub of the week - my champ AB I'm running at 25 FE for training. He gets to 7-1 so I have to throw two fights to stop at 30 FE. Apparently I suck at losing too because I won the next fight, meaning I now have to go for the TC. My next matchup is the heavy favorite, Manager's AB Superior Snotling, and he's 9-0. I go for broke 10-10 SC and somehow put a loss on him. This makes me think I'm destined for this TC. The slashers I met in the next two rounds convinced me otherwise. My cinderella story ends at 9-3.

My other hopefuls met similar ends. My contender RU from April ends up 10-3, losing to both of the finalists. My freshmen TP starts off 10-0, then gets three ABs in a row to go 10-3. But wait - there's an input error for round 13! I'm back in it! Who am I fighting in round 14? Stormlord's AB. Aw, @#%$! Same result, just delayed one round.

In all, I had 8 TVs out of 60 entered (2 contenders, freshmen, challenger, champion, and 3 rookies), 10 kills and 3 deaths. Did manage my first non-AB contender TV. Starting to build a respectable crew in that class.

Had a great time as always. So glad to meet all the new people! Congrats to the winners and see you in January!

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to see you all had fun and made it through the weekend. Grats to all the winners!

I sent a very small crew un-proxied... 3 AD with no hopes and 7 regular hopefuls, got one 9-3 TV in the Apps (a nice 6 FE so I don't have to prep him for Inits).
I'll send only a few to the next mail-in as well, mostly dead guys probably, and then have everyone ready for Tempe!

Den
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

After 20 years of not attending a F2F, it was an enjoyable time. We enjoyed meeting most of you. None of us had ever competed in Bloodgames before and that was an interesting lesson, different ideas for next time.

Fun way to spend the weekend. Hopefully do it again sometime.

Rob & Steve, it was a pleasure to meet you guys finally after 20 years of attacks in Niytyole Island (both on the sands and in the PA's). And thank you for babysitting Bill's Rookie after we left, much appreciated.
Den
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Otto_X wrote:
Otto's mini tourney recap:

Friday - Small room, 42 guys plus RSI. You do the math. Cubs game with Crip, DeepThought and Darkheart. CUBS WIN! Didn't buy any rookies because I'm running too many as it is. Introduced myself to Hollowshade, Painmaster, Slugbait, Stillgard and all six AA guys. Turns out they're semi-normal people.

Hang on, I have known these guys for most of my life....semi-normal is a stretch.

Glad we had the chance to talk, see you in 81!
Spirit
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Den wrote:
After 20 years of not attending a F2F, it was an enjoyable time. We enjoyed meeting most of you. None of us had ever competed in Bloodgames before and that was an interesting lesson, different ideas for next time.

Rob & Steve, it was a pleasure to meet you guys finally after 20 years of attacks in Niytyole Island (both on the sands and in the PA's). And thank you for babysitting Bill's Rookie after we left, much appreciated.

It was great to finally meet you guys too. Had a blast and hope you guys can make it to more FTF's. Just remember any down challenge made in 33 was BEFORE we met. lol
Spirit
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Den wrote:

It was great to finally meet you guys too. Had a blast and hope you guys can make it to more FTF's. Just remember any down challenge made in 33 was BEFORE we met. lol
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So much has already been said, but a few additional comments from The Consortium folk:

Lynn (Lurch) so very good to see you again after all these years. Welcome back to the flock.

Slugbait, thanks for showing up Crip and Consortium with twice as many TVs. You cretin! Congrats for having the deepest running DM47 Turf War warrior - that TV will come in handy during our last minute surge to the top. GO SMOC!

BOB, since you all were not there for the grudge readings, we declare the score - WORLD 8, BOB 0. A blowout! Better luck next year Moose fodder!
(Reading the matched, however, one might discern a 5-3 BOB win, but that is merely a rumor.)

Crip, sorry about your monstrous airline delays in returning home. Sue and Ryan are waiting and hope you make it back by Friday.

Den's clan, we Consortiumites salute you for keeping the arenas interesting with your personals. We were sad to see that you were quite normal DMers (mouthy, manipulative, nerdy, etc) because now we cannot hate you. So glad you all made it to a Face. Keep on being Denners! Beware that KC clan - they are the reak bad guys, (wink)

David (OAB) thanks for letting me share, for a moment, the ownership of your Bloodgame graduate. You are, however, a greedy, mean, obviously brought-up-wrong kid for not respecting your elders and letting us keep it. Floyd, thanks for the fist bump; you, at least, get it.

A special shout out and congrats to HOLLOWSHADE for his Ripper TC. Good to know you were consulting with our bud, Mannequin - King Ripper and Killer. We envy your wonderful success! Way to go!

42 attendees! Awesome! DM is on the mend!

Great motel. Fine place - nice price. Kudos to Lee and Sandy for a great, great RSI well-run event. Nice going to dinner with you Sunday.

Great time. Fairly lousy results for us compared to normal.

The Consortium Elders

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Deeders
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Spirit, if Assur had not killed Judas in round 1 I would have enjoyed many excellent down challenges.Sadly I will be
forced to fight my way from the bottom. Upchallenging???? It just sounds wrong.
Deeders
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Spirit, if Assur had not killed Judas in round 1 I would have enjoyed many excellent down challenges.Sadly I will be
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Deeders wrote:

Deeders? Assur killed him TWICE in the tournament?

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic