New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Online version?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Forgive me if this is a lame question, but does anyone know why there isn't an online version of this game available yet? I used to play Duelmasters back in the 90's and figured there'd be an online version by now. Am I missing something?
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is a long story....the short version is they can't because of legal reasons.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Visionst01 wrote:
It is a long story....the short version is they can't because of legal reasons.

Legal reasons, eh? So an online version isn't something coming up on the horizon anytime soon...

That sucks. Duelmasters is by far the best player vs. player strategic game I've ever played. I've tried out other online duel games like "Pit of War" and such - not bad, but I'd be all over an online version of Duelmasters (ahem...Duel2) if it ever became a reality.

Maybe someone from management is listening and they can figure out the legal stuff and the world can have its next viral app sensation Cool
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From what I understand, when the creator of the game sold the rights, there was a stipulation in the contract, that RSI would never make an online version of the game (HW too I believe). I think he had plans to do something along those lines himself, and didn't want the competition, but then he never developed it.

ragnarokwolf
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wasn't there an online version in Europe some years back?

Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

_Buri_ wrote:
From what I understand, when the creator of the game sold the rights, there was a stipulation in the contract, that RSI would never make an online version of the game (HW too I believe). I think he had plans to do something along those lines himself, and didn't want the competition, but then he never developed it.

Sounds like we needs to start us a kickstarter campaign to buy the rights and get this started Cool
Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure an Online version would be a good thing for most of the players who have stayed and kept the game going. The anticipation of waiting over the instant gratification that Online provides has kept most of us here. I think most of us get bored with Online games because of the quicker turnaround etc and a lot would leave if this game was to make that change. It has survived BECAUSE its still a Mail based game.

I say leave it as it is and enjoy some old school fun.

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There certainly is something nostalgic about the play-by-mail format, I'll give you that. Indeed, I see no reason why both options (play-by-mail and online play) couldn't co-exist together someday.

Anyone know the old owner's name? Maybe I'll ask him what's up...
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dude, you seem like a door to door salesman.
Everyone is happy with the way it is and you keep pushing the point.
If Duel II was a female, you would be in trouble for sexual harassment. Laughing
Grimm
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am not sure what is with the insults Longshot, Adeode has an interest that we have discussed many times. His voice is certainly as valid as yours.

There are two sides to this coin, and certainly not everyone is happy with the way it is with no interest in improving the product.

Those people with slower mail can certainly see merit in an email or online system. Many of us have to fight blind every turn, this definitely impacts game play.

The other side is centered on two main points: 1. Nostalgia 2. A fear of watering down the product.

Adeode we have little proof that online is truly a case of legal/contractual issues. We take Lee's word for it; however, there does remain doubt that this is 100 percent accurate due to the time the game was taken over by the girls and the idea that the old owner would maliciously want to limit their ability to grow the product. All we can guarantee you this, the game is what it is. There will not be any changes to code, nor will it evolve because the girls are happy with the product as is.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think being able to submit strategies and receive results online or via email would be better. The cost savings on both ends and the convenience would greatly improve the gaming experience.

PS - And balance the bare-handed AB dominance...cmon it's been over 10 years.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

No harm, no foul. I didn't realize this was such a touchy issue around here - I'd searched the forums and didn't see anything about this topic so I brought it up.

An online version is something I'd been pining for for a looong time. Certainly not a compromised version, but one that brought the game elements I loved into a format that was more accessible, could reduce operational costs for the business, and in turn could possibly reduce operating costs for the players who loved the game. It just seemed like such a win/win all-around.

Thanks for the responses regardless, everyone.
_Buri_
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Grimm wrote:
Adeode we have little proof that online is truly a case of legal/contractual issues. We take Lee's word for it; however, there does remain doubt that this is 100 percent accurate due to the time the game was taken over by the girls and the idea that the old owner would maliciously want to limit their ability to grow the product. All we can guarantee you this, the game is what it is. There will not be any changes to code, nor will it evolve because the girls are happy with the product as is.

I don't think there was anything malicious about it at all... you gotta remember when the contract was made, the Internet was still in its infancy. Ed showed amazing foresight by even bringing it up.

But you're right about the lack of changes. They don't have anyone working there atm, who can re-write the code, so that would take money. Developing anything for the Internet, rights aside, would cost money. As it is, they're happy with maintaining the status quo. It's working, so they have no inclination to fix it. Who knows, changing anything too drastically might upset the apple cart.

Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Grimm wrote:
I am not sure what is with the insults Longshot, Adeode has an interest that we have discussed many times. His voice is certainly as valid as yours.

If you found an insult in my statement, I can't help you. It's not like I said "Look a**hole. no means no. Drop the subject. " or something to that effect.

The guy sounded like a pushy salesman. If this was our job, everyone would be getting sensitivity training.

I'm not going to try and speak about why everyone likes the game the way it is. If I could do that, I would spend that special skill on improving my status in life instead of speaking for why everyone likes or dislikes a game.

Maybe you are trying to stir up emotions that aren't there? Confused
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We have gone through this very discussion/need many times before and this one will end the same as the others.

Legally, the gals are bound and they do not want, nor probably should want, to invest time and money to attempt to change things.

DM (D2) will likely go to the grave a PBM game; the only real question is whether I will beat them to the grave. Laughing

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic