New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104512

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - TURN 10 ***SPOILERS***
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TripwireDuel
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tripwire's Turn 10 UNOFFICIAL RANKINGS

Two turns remaining and its getting down to the nitty gritty.

G House2, Caress of Steel, Battle Beasts2, Leaky Teepee, Indulgent Drinks, Millenium Metal, Memorial Hammerz, and Pompous Paladins didn't get P Ads in as far as I could tell (CHECK!) Everyone else got the +1

Janix once again gives itself a huge point by killing. G House2 would have gotten its Personal's in they would have had a massive 2 kill +4 turn and would have been tied for 1st.

I will post last turns scores, this turns records W-L-K-D, +1 or 0 for PAds and then the final total:

Janix: +21, 2-3-1-0, +1 = +22
G House 2: +18, 3-2-2-0, 0 = +21
Of Wolf and Man: +17, 2-3-0-0, +1 = +17
Caress of Steel: +14, 2-2-0-0, 0 = +14
Sea Dogs: +8, 3-2-0-0, +1 = +10
Hold that Tiger: +9, 2-3-0-0, +1 = +9
Sparf!: +7, 3-1-0-1, +1 = +9
Battle Beasts2: +7, 2-3-0-0, 0 = +6
Steel Reign: +4, 3-2-0-0, +1 = +6
Leaky Teepee: +5, 0-0-0-0, 0 = +5
Indulgant Drinks: +1, 0-0-0-0, 0 = +1
Millenium Metal: 0, 2-3-0-0, 0 = -1
Eye of the Storm: -7, 3-2-0-1, +1 = -6
Memorial Hammerz: -8, 0-0, 0 = -8
Pompous Paladins: -11, 2-2-0-0, 0 = -11

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm shooting myself in the foot in this thing! I've missed two turns of personals now and my just realized I screwed up my attempt to get Oliver Wood into the competition. Neville killed the DA beastie and that was my one allowable DA challenge...so I can send him back in again. Doh!
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rillion wrote:
I'm shooting myself in the foot in this thing! I've missed two turns of personals now and my just realized I screwed up my attempt to get Oliver Wood into the competition. Neville killed the DA beastie and that was my one allowable DA challenge...so I can send him back in again. Doh!

You should've sent him in no armor 1/1/1 if you really wanted him dead. That is a "DOH!"

On the plus side I had finally had another winning turn, for all the good it does me now. Ah well, forge ahead!

Maximillian
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rillion wrote:

I'm in the same boat, the handling of my arenas has suffered to the point of neglect, no personals anywhere, maintenance only, a couple arenas inactive, including my home, Arkers ...sigh!

Time to wake up I guess. Didn't even send my new guy in.

For those who care I will be back in 8,28,31 next cycle. 54 will be deactivated after the contest but I will stay in N. Fork to fight for the VC in the TW, even though its a fight for 2nd.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."- Plato

Northern Badlands
Canada eh!
Oh Those Romans
Rednecks
Natural B. Killers
What Gaul!
Isn't it Obvious
Caress of Steel
Vicious Vamps
Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't boast at all about JANIX's performance considering I've pretty much fallen off of the planet - and maintenance is keeping me in the running - though at this point a 1pt lead is pretty damn precarious!!!

Max - I just sent my first list of challenges for 47 in a half-a-year. Hopefully I can keep it up...
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kat wrote:
I can't boast at all about JANIX's performance considering I've pretty much fallen off of the planet - and maintenance is keeping me in the running - though at this point a 1pt lead is pretty damn precarious!!!

Max - I just sent my first list of challenges for 47 in a half-a-year. Hopefully I can keep it up...

You guys (Kat, Max, Rillion, Crip, etc.) all piss me off. Rolling Eyes

The Slaughter challenge has a one month turnaround, everyone should be able to get their stuff in in that amount of time. It takes like 30 seconds to fire off a plain text email to RSI with an ad in it. I'd guess that in the amount of time most managers spend browsing this site and Terrablood's in a day they could easily get a team's worth of strats written out, lick a stamp and the check's in the mail.

Granted, with no avoids/challenges allowed in this one, running on maintenance is much more apt to let you escape a losing record, and maybe your lives really ARE incredibly busy. God knows everyone's is from time to time (work, family, moving, the list goes on...).

But it seems the cool thing to do these days is to post about how you get 'so busy' with real life that you can just barely keep your DM world spinning. Everyone's on maintenance, forgetting personals and strategies and to DA guys, sometimes, like in this case, in contests where you're in contention, no less!

If you're a tourney manager and regular arena play means little or nothing to you, fine. It's a valid way to play and there's no changing that with those who choose it. But I'd think a contest would merit more attention from most.

If your DM world is "on maintenance" and you haven't found time to write ads for weeks/months/years, maybe you should cut back a little and enjoy more of what you can keep up with. I really don't want to tell anyone what to do with their time and money in the end, or to play less. Just an observation about recent goings on...

Rant over. And yes, I am feeling a little bitter this afternoon as I get left in the dust of this contest by all these maintenance punks! Razz

Rillion
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

For this turn's personals I wasn't too busy, I just plain forgot about them.

For me the 1-month turn around time is actually a disadvantage since it breaks my usual timing. In my other arenas I send the turns back within a day or two of receiving them. With the extra time, I sometimes forget since I don't have to get the turns back out immediately. Then sometimes I forgot if I've sent them in already with one of my other arenas or not (that's what happened last turn when Neville didn't get DA'd, I thought I had sent a strategy in for him but apparently didn't). This turn I just assumed he had no chance of winning in the DA so wrote "same" for his strategy.

At this point my "mistakes" have not cost me many points. The two turns of missed personals is clearly a -2 to my score and makes the difference between being in 2nd instead of 1st. My Neville mistakes have not really cost me any points yet, in fact I'm up at least 2 points over if I had DA'd him successfully the turn before this last one. In those two turns he has earned +1 point, while if he had died then Oliver had won a fight I'd be at a net -1, and it is no sure thing that Oliver would win every fight. The reason I wanted to get Oliver in this is that I think over the remaining few turns he would have a better chance of winning more fights than Neville (but that isn't a sure thing)..
Maximillian
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stikdm wrote:
Kat wrote:

You guys (Kat, Max, Rillion, Crip, etc.) all piss me off. Rolling Eyes

The Slaughter challenge has a one month turnaround, everyone should be able to get their stuff in in that amount of time. It takes like 30 seconds to fire off a plain text email to RSI with an ad in it. I'd guess that in the amount of time most managers spend browsing this site and Terrablood's in a day they could easily get a team's worth of strats written out, lick a stamp and the check's in the mail.

Granted, with no avoids/challenges allowed in this one, running on maintenance is much more apt to let you escape a losing record, and maybe your lives really ARE incredibly busy. God knows everyone's is from time to time (work, family, moving, the list goes on...).

But it seems the cool thing to do these days is to post about how you get 'so busy' with real life that you can just barely keep your DM world spinning. Everyone's on maintenance, forgetting personals and strategies and to DA guys, sometimes, like in this case, in contests where you're in contention, no less!

If you're a tourney manager and regular arena play means little or nothing to you, fine. It's a valid way to play and there's no changing that with those who choose it. But I'd think a contest would merit more attention from most.

If your DM world is "on maintenance" and you haven't found time to write ads for weeks/months/years, maybe you should cut back a little and enjoy more of what you can keep up with. I really don't want to tell anyone what to do with their time and money in the end, or to play less. Just an observation about recent goings on...

Rant over. And yes, I am feeling a little bitter this afternoon as I get left in the dust of this contest by all these maintenance punks! Razz

Stik, I hate to admit it but I have no exuse for my poor managing style lately. Procrastination is my biggest enemy. Its wierd but before I changed jobs I was on the road alot all over the province and still managed to get my strategies in for all my arenas, but now I work in town and can't seem to get anything done, especially personal ads but personals have always been hard for me. In 54 Rillion and I would be jostling for 2nd if I didn't lose points stupidly.

I don't lead a very busy lifestyle nor do I want to. Its usually goes like this: turns received, OK I have a couple weeks to do everything, then all of the sudden I have a week to do it then with a day or 2 left I'm like crap, better do it tonight, then all of the sudden its the run date and I say " shit, why didn't I do it last week!. Oh well next time". Then of course I do it all over again.

Sorry but I will always run to my financial potential whether I can keep up or not, my warriors, my wife said are like the children I never had, guess I'd be a crappy dad eh!

On a side note running maintenance has put me contention for the slaughter challenge and 10-2 in the TW for the last 3 turns. If it was me I'd be a little pissed too that people who are barely paying attention all have the top spots, but since I'm one of them......

Northern Badlands
Canada eh!
Oh Those Romans
Rednecks
Natural B. Killers
What Gaul!
Isn't it Obvious
Caress of Steel
Vicious Vamps
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry but I will always run to my financial potential whether I can keep up or not, my warriors, my wife said are like the children I never had, guess I'd be a crappy dad eh!

On a side note running maintenance has put me contention for the slaughter challenge and 10-2 in the TW for the last 3 turns. If it was me I'd be a little pissed too that people who are barely paying attention all have the top spots, but since I'm one of them......[/quote]

No need to apologize for playing the most you can. I'd probably be in the same damn boat if I could get away with it.

I've just never really understood or been a big fan of maintenance, except as an insurance policy if you absolutely must run in an arena, or if you've got guys in advanced who are on autopilot trying to pick up skills or hard stat trains (I've got a couple like this in 100, the only time I've used maintenance ever). I'm neither a mega nor a tourney manager so it's largely useless to me.

I just see it that you're not really managing much that way and probably not getting a lot enjoyment out of the game, not much bang for your buck.
But hey, it's your money. Confused

While I had a very solid team numbers-wise going into the contest, I ran a couple styles that weren't good choices and had some bad luck with learns on one guy (21 wt/norm dam. lunger who absolutely won't learn a single attack skill)and am now paying for it. <shrug> But that's the way it goes. It's perhaps more a statement of my managing/design ability and an indicator of things I need to work on more than anything else.

I'm still glad I participated to honor Rich's memory and cross blades with everyone involved.

Kat
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stikdm wrote:

No need to apologize for playing the most you can. I'd probably be in the same damn boat if I could get away with it.

I've just never really understood or been a big fan of maintenance, except .......

Except what? As a means to an end? To serve your own particular purpose?

Lucky you to be omnipotent enough to play brash hypocrite.

I've been playing since 1986. In that time there has been incidences where (*gasp*) life happens.

Example: In late 1990, I dropped out of the game for a while due to an extended business trip (newspapers labeled it, "The Gulf War"). Over the years, several nuisances like this would pop up.

Aggravating stuff, I know. I sympathize.

Anyhow, since I really do like the game, I came back in 1997 (picking up pretty much right where I left off), and discovered that not only had some things changed, but that after an extended absence, warriors I used to have as peers were now either retired, or right at the top end of the game. Dang. If only there was a way I could keep my warriors active even though I didn’t have time to actively interact with RSI.

(Huge secret: To get towards the top takes a while. Couple/few turns at least. Maybe four or five if you run primarily in slow arenas like I do)

However life still insisted on interrupting.

I discovered the 'maintenance' program.

"Whoa", I thought, "What a cool way to keep FE pace when I can't take the time to read, record, track, strategize, challenge/avoid, and send in turnsheets"

....Ironically, I didn't do it much. Not in the 9 intervening years (1997-2006). However, Retiring from the military, starting a new career, maintaining a house, trying to raise a 3-year-old who'd rather not have Dad in front of a laptop, maintaining a relationship with my wife, a daily work commute, slavish devotion to "24" and "Battlestar Gallactica", etc - have cut into my DM time over the last three months.

Hey - that maintenance program thingy! That'll hold things off a few turns, right? Afterall, with our game slowly dying due to the 'archaic' model on which it's based (PBM) - and the permeation of the younger 'instant-gratification-X-Box-playing' generation, I'd prefer as many people as possible run ever turn, maintenance or not.

If you take some of your plethora of extra time and read the damn DM54 newsletter, you'll note that my team (Janix) has been in the LEAD of the contest for a smidge. Why? Because I *AM* writing personals, etc. I *AM* staying as active as I can. That's the difference in the lead.

The attention spent on this one arena has come at the expense of others - but guess what? *I* am the one paying for it.

(*Wait - let me repeat this - as I believe that was a decent point*)

I'm paying for it.

My cash.

Whoa - maybe that means I can play, interact, and do things as I feel inclined to? Cool.

You know, if that pisses you off, maybe you SHOULD experience real life every once in a while - or maybe get one of your own.

Decent advice (in my mismanaging point of view) since I appear to be stomping your ass in this contest.
Sentinel
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Jesus Christ, Kat. Overreact much? I thought that was MY particular specialty.

In general, I agree with Stik in that I'm not a fan of maintenance. If you choose not to turn in your stuff once a month and want to run on maintenance, that is your choice, but don't act like you're the only person in the world with distractions.

Maximillian
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sentinel wrote:
Jesus Christ, Kat. Overreact much? I thought that was MY particular specialty.

In general, I agree with Stik in that I'm not a fan of maintenance. If you choose not to turn in your stuff once a month and want to run on maintenance, that is your choice, but don't act like you're the only person in the world with distractions.

I am not usually a maintenance manager either, I only use it for contest teams. When I'm on my game I actually pay attention to every detail I can think of, fill out every challenge/avoid, armour/weapons changed for every situation. Just lately I've fallen of the horse, but Max is getting back on his horse after the Mailer.

Participants in 8,28,31,47 beware, although I am contemplating running 1 more, just not sure where. Maybe stay in 54 or jump to 72,45 or 52

Northern Badlands
Canada eh!
Oh Those Romans
Rednecks
Natural B. Killers
What Gaul!
Isn't it Obvious
Caress of Steel
Vicious Vamps
Maximillian
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Stikdm wrote:

On a side note running maintenance has put me contention for the slaughter challenge and 10-2 in the TW for the last 3 turns. If it was me I'd be a little pissed too that people who are barely paying attention all have the top spots, but since I'm one of them......

I've just never really understood or been a big fan of maintenance, except as an insurance policy if you absolutely must run in an arena, or if you've got guys in advanced who are on autopilot trying to pick up skills or hard stat trains (I've got a couple like this in 100, the only time I've used maintenance ever). I'm neither a mega nor a tourney manager so it's largely useless to me.

[color=red]Thats how I've been using it, as an insurance for contest teams but I'm going to keep all my teams on it now just in case I forget my strats. As long as you send new strats in for every turn it will override maintenance and update yout current guys strats for use nexttime you need it.

I just see it that you're not really managing much that way and probably not getting a lot enjoyment out of the game, not much bang for your buck.
But hey, it's your money. Confused

While I see your point, it does not detract alot from my enjoyment but I must admit challenging someone and stomping them is much more fun but quite useless in 54.

While I had a very solid team numbers-wise going into the contest, I ran a couple styles that weren't good choices and had some bad luck with learns on one guy (21 wt/norm dam. lunger who absolutely won't learn a single attack skill)and am now paying for it. <shrug> But that's the way it goes. It's perhaps more a statement of my managing/design ability and an indicator of things I need to work on more than anything else.

Since it doesn't matter as far as I can see I will list my team since they will probably be going inactive.

12-4-11-17-15-14-11 BA good/norm TV'd Rookies at 11-3-2, again useless in 54
10+3-4-15-17-21-13-7 ST great/norm, maintenance gave him his 3rd ST raise in 3 turns and great damage

11-21+2-7-5+1-21+2-13-11 TP I don't run him scummy at all

15-9-9-15-8-21-7 BA good/norm, an experiment

15-15-7-10-17-10-10 WS my latest that I haven't sent in

I'm still glad I participated to honor Rich's memory and cross blades with everyone involved.[/quote]

Rich was a good friend, I wouldn't have missed it.

Northern Badlands
Canada eh!
Oh Those Romans
Rednecks
Natural B. Killers
What Gaul!
Isn't it Obvious
Caress of Steel
Vicious Vamps
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kat wrote:
Stikdm wrote:

I've just never really understood or been a big fan of maintenance, except .......

Except what? As a means to an end? To serve your own particular purpose?

Lucky you to be omnipotent enough to play brash hypocrite.

I've been playing since 1986. In that time there has been incidences where (*gasp*) life happens.

Example: In late 1990, I dropped out of the game for a while due to an extended business trip (newspapers labeled it, "The Gulf War"). Over the years, several nuisances like this would pop up.

Aggravating stuff, I know. I sympathize.

Anyhow, since I really do like the game, I came back in 1997 (picking up pretty much right where I left off), and discovered that not only had some things changed, but that after an extended absence, warriors I used to have as peers were now either retired, or right at the top end of the game. Dang. If only there was a way I could keep my warriors active even though I didn’t have time to actively interact with RSI.

(Huge secret: To get towards the top takes a while. Couple/few turns at least. Maybe four or five if you run primarily in slow arenas like I do)

However life still insisted on interrupting.

I discovered the 'maintenance' program.

"Whoa", I thought, "What a cool way to keep FE pace when I can't take the time to read, record, track, strategize, challenge/avoid, and send in turnsheets"

....Ironically, I didn't do it much. Not in the 9 intervening years (1997-2006). However, Retiring from the military, starting a new career, maintaining a house, trying to raise a 3-year-old who'd rather not have Dad in front of a laptop, maintaining a relationship with my wife, a daily work commute, slavish devotion to "24" and "Battlestar Gallactica", etc - have cut into my DM time over the last three months.

Hey - that maintenance program thingy! That'll hold things off a few turns, right? Afterall, with our game slowly dying due to the 'archaic' model on which it's based (PBM) - and the permeation of the younger 'instant-gratification-X-Box-playing' generation, I'd prefer as many people as possible run ever turn, maintenance or not.

If you take some of your plethora of extra time and read the damn DM54 newsletter, you'll note that my team (Janix) has been in the LEAD of the contest for a smidge. Why? Because I *AM* writing personals, etc. I *AM* staying as active as I can. That's the difference in the lead.

The attention spent on this one arena has come at the expense of others - but guess what? *I* am the one paying for it.

(*Wait - let me repeat this - as I believe that was a decent point*)

I'm paying for it.

My cash.

Whoa - maybe that means I can play, interact, and do things as I feel inclined to? Cool.

You know, if that pisses you off, maybe you SHOULD experience real life every once in a while - or maybe get one of your own.

Decent advice (in my mismanaging point of view) since I appear to be stomping your ass in this contest.

Just saw this post last night, been away on the long weekend with the family (tending to that life I need to get). I figured somebody might blow a gasket and do the "it's my *&#$% money so piss off!" spiel. That's fine, you're right. Your money. And RSI wants/needs it and we need to keep the players we've got, so spend away.

But it doesn't change my views on maintenance. It has its uses (tourney managers, the ADM grind, overseas players, military duty as you brought up is another one) but I remain confused why someone would enter a contest, especially in a slow arena, and still need to depend on it.

You said earlier in the thread you couldn't boast about your team because you were on maintenance. What does that leave in this contest? Writing a personal, maybe more than one if you're feeling active. Maybe you changed your maintenance strats once or twice? If that's all it takes to distract you from all your other teams, I'd say you're easily distracted.

I've been reading the newsletter and the posts, and my post was just my opinion on things. If I was still in the lead (or anywhere near it) I probably wouldn't have bothered to sound off on it, so that's my sour grapes, yeah. Congrats on your ass-stomping, Kat. We'll see if you can keep it going to the finish line.

Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Since it doesn't matter as far as I can see I will list my team since they will probably be going inactive.

12-4-11-17-15-14-11 BA good/norm TV'd Rookies at 11-3-2, again useless in 54
10+3-4-15-17-21-13-7 ST great/norm, maintenance gave him his 3rd ST raise in 3 turns and great damage

11-21+2-7-5+1-21+2-13-11 TP I don't run him scummy at all

15-9-9-15-8-21-7 BA good/norm, an experiment

15-15-7-10-17-10-10 WS my latest that I haven't sent in

I'm still glad I participated to honor Rich's memory and cross blades with everyone involved.[/quote]

Rich was a good friend, I wouldn't have missed it.[/quote]

This is a cool idea I was considering bringing up in the PA's the next to last turn. See if everybody wants to post their warrior's numbers and any comments and insight about them. Some may not want to if those warriors are continuing on competitively, but it would be fun to see!
Those first three of yours look very nice, I can see why you're doing well! That other BA is interesting, too. I'll put mine in the newsletter or post here later perhaps.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic