New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Civil War
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
Quote:
I am up for whichever way brings in the highest quality of managers.

Any "quality" manager shouldn't be afraid of a DA before the start option, imho.

Street, don't you have a lot of time to graduate your project before the start?

While we do not fear the DA, as we like "interesting" designs, we do despise it. We wonder if we could convince Sandy and Lee to take one specific random "mediocre" team roll and define it as the entry for this event and all players start EXACTLY the same? (except for their design ingenuity, of course.)

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Lord_Xiang
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:
While we do not fear the DA, as we like "interesting" designs, we do despise it. We wonder if we could convince Sandy and Lee to take one specific random "mediocre" team roll and define it as the entry for this event and all players start EXACTLY the same? (except for their design ingenuity, of course.)

While it does my ulcer no good to agree with anything from the Consortium ( Laughing ), I truly think this idea is a fresh look on the 'to DA or not to DA' question, and support this more than any other option. I would just like to add that there be a 5 turn hold on the use of the DA, just to make sure that there are actual attempts to use all five warriors effectively, at leat for the short term. Just my 2 cents.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Robert looked into it for Zalcon, and the rule was Yes, they can do it--but you can't keep the warriors afterwards or run them in tourneys. (Which was fine with me, but most people weren't too excited about throwing their money away for warriors they wouldnt' be able to keep at the end)
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

JGW wrote:
Street_Legal wrote:
OK to those who have called for the DA format would a compromise be in order to help get you in. I have a personal reason for it. I have a long term warrior project in 14 that I will not get rid of as the project has only just begun and it may be a 100 FE graduation type warrior.

How about at least 3 must be DA'd at the beginning. I think everyone can find a tourney team, with no arena fights, or a RU with at least 2 runnable warriors on it. That way your bringing your 2 best warriors, as I posted before you bring your best to war, and getting stuck with the rest. I'm still not sold on the DA first turn thing but I'm putting the feelers out there on how I can get the best, and the most, involved.

I agree TMM can carry the 'larq torch and even if we can't get a TUM there's always some others who can equal them (Ultraist;Suave)

I'd say then you need to transfer that warrior and team out... if faced with the same problem (and I am with Bio Warfare, who I am trying to graduate three warriors before the year ends) I would go the transfer route into 82.

I feel personally the DA off the bat gives the best 'even playing field' for those who would come into the contest, and doesn't benefit those with warriors with lots of FE. I would say this should be set on that even field since we are working to show who of the three groups are the best. Only way to do that is by the DA option first turn, but maybe do a ZalCon thing where you DA when you get in and then give enough time for warriors to be at 4FE for apprentices before the official scoring starts...

That's my $.02

That won't happen it's my first team in my home arena.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
Quote:
I am up for whichever way brings in the highest quality of managers.

Any "quality" manager shouldn't be afraid of a DA before the start option, imho.

Street, don't you have a lot of time to graduate your project before the start?

It's a SUPER pud that should take 100 FE to get out. It's highest base other than DEC is -7

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
TripwireDuel
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Starting with the same mediocre numbers is fine, as long as we can DA them if we wish. I wouldn't want to run in a "run whatever crappy rollup you get" contest.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TripwireDuel wrote:
Starting with the same mediocre numbers is fine, as long as we can DA them if we wish. I wouldn't want to run in a "run whatever crappy rollup you get" contest.

Agreed. The idea is to start with even footing. What managers do with it from there via design, DA, whatever, is the management part.

Ghoti
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:

That won't happen it's my first team in my home arena.

There is always another arena.. 14 might be a nice choice but there are others. Here are 3 others with a very small contingent currently 30, 41 78. I dont thinkit should really matter where this occurs.. Unless there is some reason to specifically hold it in 14 that I am unaware of.

I am also in favor of the DA to start thing.. It would also be in RSI's best interest to take what we consider a pudly team to use in there. Considering everyone will DA the team anyway.. We would stil be paying the $5 for the team.. and let us keep em..

Ghoti

Last edited by Ghoti on Wed May 10, 2006 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
JGW
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can understand that fully Street. My team in question is my origional team and one is an origional warrior. I don't want to lose that one either, so I suggest we take up Ghoti's suggestion on the three other arenas. I would say we take a vote for the place of the civil war, or if you just want to delcare an arena for it, go ahead. I think Polarius just pulled an arena out of the hat to bolster arena play, but I could be mistaken.
Sentinel
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JGW wrote:
I can understand that fully Street. My team in question is my origional team and one is an origional warrior. I don't want to lose that one either, so I suggest we take up Ghoti's suggestion on the three other arenas. I would say we take a vote for the place of the civil war, or if you just want to delcare an arena for it, go ahead. I think Polarius just pulled an arena out of the hat to bolster arena play, but I could be mistaken.

You'll have the same issue in another arena. Street, can't you just transfer in an old, crappy team from closed arena that you can DA and leave your existing team intact, even if it has to go inactive?

TripwireDuel
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sentinel wrote:
JGW wrote:

You'll have the same issue in another arena. Street, can't you just transfer in an old, crappy team from closed arena that you can DA and leave your existing team intact, even if it has to go inactive?

That would work too. Or he could just remain active and just not challenge anyone with it.

Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is also the possibility of opening a closed arena for this and then allowing a transfer to 82 only with these teams.

Ghoti

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sentinel wrote:
TripwireDuel wrote:

Agreed. The idea is to start with even footing. What managers do with it from there via design, DA, whatever, is the management part.

Our idea also.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that if you want go with the "same RU" approach, you'd need to do it like the Bloodgames and select the best out of 10 or even 15.

The reason for this is that I think that different managers have different ideas and strategies for mediocre roll-ups. Some managers are better at overcoming certain RU defienciencies than others. Give TigToad and I a bunch of low Strength RU's and he'd probably bury me. But swap Strength and Deftness and I think I could turn the tables. I am still an advocate of variety. Part of being a good manager (to me) is knowing what you can or can't work with in any given situation. I guess it all depends on what skill you want to measure in any given competition.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JGW wrote:

It was actually a discussion to bring back 14 to it's former glory, the bloodiest arena (or two) back in the 80's. It was Rich's idea, I met him in arena 14 many years ago and we were surprised when we both came back to the game about 6 months apart, to try and restore the arena and Polarius wanted to take up that particular banner. The Slaughter Challenge was going to originally run there but for alliance purposes we went with a slow arena, 54.

I'm not really looking to do anything other than try and bring some life to 14 and since everyone wanted the Civil War to run once again, all the talk of which affiliation has the best managers, and Polarius having other issues to tend to I figured 14 to be the perfect place to try and hold this contest to incorporate it together.

Thomas Jefferson
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic