New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - The Whore Debate
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

With the upcoming retirement of the Consortium, a new debate about an old topic has surfaced--the buying/selling of warriors. I don´t particularly care, but it seems Neon Necromancer got this ball rolling, and rather oddly too. From his post, one could get the impression that he did not support this practice, but it is well known that he has whores (as they are so lovingly called) in his possession, and if memory serves he even TCd with one.

So with that in mind, whats up with the double standard? Bum said jokingly that only the MEGA MANAGERS have the right to buy warriors, but that seems to be the overall mood from the "old" guard. I don´t care what you do, but just be consistent in your arguments.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don´t have any problems with managers buying and selling warriros as a practice... the issue I have is how it helps to unbalance the top end. What I mean by this is that as these old warriors are passed down from manager to manager they become harder and harder to beat as their FE increases. It has become impossible for a new manager to ever catch up to the ´old guard´ in Gateway / Primus simply due to the FE bonus the old warriors have. Even when fully maxed a warrior created today would have little chance in top end arenas. I think a better fix, instead of banning selling warriors, would be to somehow either cap FE in Gateway or go ahead and start cycling warriors out. Either of those would do the trick.

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It´s not just the FE, but the ridiculous number of prizes that have been piled on the top warriors. Think about it - just how badly has Furious been modified? I remember that SOB as a 5 foot-7 lunger using the long spear....

LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that you will find that most all of the warriors that go deep in Gateway are very old and very modified.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The funny part is that no one realized that there have been several Consortium warriors whored out to other managers for years! (Not bought/sold, rather Wayne gives them away)
Kage
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

On 2002-07-12 09:28, LHI wrote:
I think that you will find that most all of the warriors that go deep in Gateway are very old and very modified.

And that´s exactly the point I was attempting to make. As long as those beasts are there, there´s not really any possibility of breaking into the top ranks. You´ve got warriors with ridiculous skill bases and faves (Furious sorta comes to mind, but there are others), and tons of FE on top of that. Personally, I´m all for, say, forced retirement at perhaps 300-500 FE, with the manager getting a DYO as a reward for the retired warrior.

It´s bad enough that really only the Aims and Lungers are competitive at the top, but on top of that you´ve got Aims and lungers with bonus size, extra skills, modified faves, and in one case a style switch, and I just don´t see any warrior not already in Gateway ever having a chance to rise to the top.

Sure, owning the top ranks is all nice and good, but having to continually fight for the top strikes me as being much more enjoyable, and warriors phasing out would definitely allow for that.

DeathJester
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Isnt there or hasnt there been in the past a Hall of Fame? Seems that would be an ideal solution to the topped game being impossible to get into.
Just a thought.
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What do you think the overall affect would be to the game if they forced retirement or filtered out the top of the game? Some say it would hurt the game, but I say the exact opposite. I would actually see a reason to run warriors beyond the Eligibles class and would even up my ADM play. As of now, I once a warrior becomes Primus Inducted, his/her career is over in my stables.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Kage
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Same here, honestly. Gateway/Primus is no fun when you know you can never hope to be anything but the floor mat.

LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

For my guys... once they hit the Gateway/Primus level I retire them. The only exceptions I make are for super gifted warriors. If you have a good rhythm and are +15 then I might just send you to Gateway. I run 2 LUs in Primus and I don´t plan to send anyone else there ever.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Same here, I haven´t ran in Primus in years and will never again play there. But I enjoy Gateway immensely and will never quit there.

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
DeathJester
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok pardon the complete newb question but......
what is the deal with Primus and Gateway? they sound to be the step after AD but could someone please fill me in?
Kage
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Once your warriors reach a certain level of skill, they become eligible for Primus. Even better warriors are inducted - they have no choice but to go. The formula really isn´t known, but it basically takes good warriors maxxed out on skills and into their stat raises, or the equivalent. The formula involves W/L record, total skills, and stat raises, as well as possibly individual ratings.

Gateway is an alternative to Primus - any warrior eligible or inducted into Primus may, instead, enter Gateway, but once a warrior goes to Gateway, they may NEVER leave. Primus uses the same rules as ADM, but Gateway uses another set:

Warriors may "learn back" skills that they burned. For example, if you burn 7 skills by raising will to 21 before maxing them, then you can never learn them by skill training in ADM. In Gateway, however, you may learn them anyway.

You may learn a total of 25 skills in each area, and chances to learn skills are much higher.

Stat raises are easier to make, with a much higher minimum chance.

There is an active "DA" of sorts, where your warriors can fight various monsters to the death. Some have STILL not been beaten.

gameogre
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, if they want to maximize their income and our enjoyment they need to start an arena called Secundus.

Third option for forced removal from ADM. (Which is probably good for people arriving in ADM now, they have a chance.) Secundus would have Primus rules but be for those who don´t want to give up a fighter or be a doormat forever in Primus. Or is that just remaking Gateway? I noticed a vote for splitting Gateway on the site and this may be the intention of that.

Kage
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That would be just adding another step to the ladder; it does nothing to clear the logjam at the top.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic