New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22265

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - New Rollup 13-7-8-15-10-9-8
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
catalyst
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello everyone,

I'm returning to the game after 6 years and am a little rusty on my character creation. So I thought I would ask for some advice on this one. Stats are 13-7-8-15-10-9-8

I have considered 13-7-8-21-15-9-11 & 13-9-8-17-15-9-13, and I'm open to suggestions on both stats and styles.

Thanks,

Catalyst
Andarus
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Go with your 13-7-8-21-15-9-11 design. That makes an excellent striker.
Shogun
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yuor first design makes a better lunger, or slasher, even basher, than a striker. If you go different go 15-7-8-17-15-9-13, again LU, SL, BA. I haven't crunched the numbers, but that's my take.

Time is the best teacher...unfortunately it kills ALL it's students. Live every day as if it were your last, because one will be, and you won't know which until too late.
Andarus
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shogun wrote:
Yuor first design makes a better lunger, or slasher, even basher, than a striker. If you go different go 15-7-8-17-15-9-13, again LU, SL, BA. I haven't crunched the numbers, but that's my take.

I've made numerous strikers very similar to this, and most of them TV at least once at some point in their basic career. The one I have that's the most similar to this TV'd 3 tourneys before I retired him after graduation. This RU might do that as a slasher, but only if it has decise as a fav. learn. I can't see it doing that as a lunger because of the 15 will. This is an excellent ST roll-up.

Anything other than a 21 wit design on this RU is a completely wasted design.
mordraith
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

13-7-8-15-10-9-8
13-7-8-21-15-9-11 LU/ST
or
15-7-8-21-11-9-13 ST

This warrior is nice no matter how you go... HOnestly i'd prolly go with the first as a striker and hope for an Attack heavy set of learns... by Apps or inits you can have a contender...
-Mordraith

Ill Intent DM31 (soon)
Vengence DM32
Some Kinda Hate DM81
Ghoti
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If all else fails, there is a site.. Terrabloods.. that you can generate mock rollups by pluggin in your various numbers.

http://www.bit-net.com/~johnh/dm.htm

If you have not already found it.. As to your rollups.

I would avoid lunger on anything less than a 17 will unless it has the Con and STR to go with it.. this lacks the con.. and to make it good would take to much away from the rest of the rollup.

Stiker is a very good choice and i would go with the first one Mordraith listed as well.

Ghoti
gameogre
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Concurring with most of what's been said. Unless it completely screws the entire design always go with a 21 wit if you can. And if it does, swallow hard and go with the 21 wit anyway.... Wink

This could have success, depending on goals, as a lunger I think but would be better with another style. The question then becomes, do you value damage, attack skills or endurance/determination/ADM numbers more. If you want to have your best shot at tourneys, then I'd agree with the striker choice (but might even leave will at 10 and split the points between strength and DF since strikers need little endurance, and generally are considered subpar for ADM). If tourneys aren't that important (breath Jiles, it's just a hypothetical point), then with a 9 sp and considering attack skills I'd be happy to run this as a slasher with 15 will. (there are certainly some who can run a slasher like this to solid tourney success, so far I'm not one of those, but I have an 11-5-12-21-15-9-11 slasher that I still have some hope of at 7 FE...)

Basically, we agree with your own take I think. 21 wit and striker or slasher depending on goals or your own preference.
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Unless Gateway is your only concern, then I think the 13-7-8-21-15-9-11 SL design is the way to go, but he'd make a very good striker and could possibly even win apprentices or initiates. Shogun simply looked at numbers and was apparently turned off by the low attack all strikers get - it's not a concern until into ADM.

Shogun
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Andarus wrote:

I've made numerous strikers very similar to this, and most of them TV at least once at some point in their basic career. The one I have that's the most similar to this TV'd 3 tourneys before I retired him after graduation.

Anything other than a 21 wit design on this RU is a completely wasted design.

I don't want to get into a pissing match, my response was the one asking the question, but if it's debate you want...ok. First off you shot yourself with your own words "retired after graduation". It is apparent that you realize strikers suck in the long run. Now if your goal is to spent time and money on a warrior with no future in hopes of maybe doing this or that then fine go for it. I learned a long time ago don't waste yourself, and try to make what will be the best. This doesn't mean all warriors should be LU, SL, or whatever, and it doesn't mean strikers don't have a place. Hey, I have strikers, but this was a less experienced manager asking advice, your post about retiring him upon graduation should have been your first post so he would know the design has no REAL future in ADM. Now as to your 21 wit wasted statement I only mentioned that IF he didn't make the 21 wit design he would be better off adding the 2 points to STR instead of CON.

Ichy,
Right, strikers suck, I intended on a more lengthy post later on but work intruded. Personally I would make a SL as well but only because I have LU's in ADM already, and ADM is always my concern.

Hey, just my one cent worth.

Time is the best teacher...unfortunately it kills ALL it's students. Live every day as if it were your last, because one will be, and you won't know which until too late.
catalyst
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your input, it was most appreciated. Very Happy Still debating a little on the striker/slasher, but I'll probably go with the striker.
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shogun - you misread what I said. Striker is a VERY good style, its only weakness is that it falls behind in ADM. UU DOEWANNAKNOW managed to TC champions as a striker, and they routinely TV all basic classes and routinely TC inits and lower. Arena-wise, good strikers typically graduate the arena with excellent records, along the line of 15-5 or better. The best strikers are 21 wit, and some top managers won't even run a striker unless it has 21 wit.

I would personally run this particular warrior as a slasher due to the will and endurance, but it would make an outstanding striker as well.

Shogun
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ichabod wrote:
Shogun simply looked at numbers and was apparently turned off by the low attack all strikers get - it's not a concern until into ADM.

Ichy,

Right about the sentence above, not that you agreed with my assessment that strikers suck. As I stated I don't waste time and money on what I might be able to do in the regular arena, I look down the road. The exception to this is a specialized warrior as an enforcer and/or an experiment. I had a warrrior like this (an experiment) that thankfully died in his 5th loss after helping my record. These warriors have their place, but the fact remains in the long run a better LU, SL, and for me I like the BA, because I have seen what they look like when they graduate as well.

Now up to one point five cents.

Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, please, you'll run a basher before a striker? *shakes head*

Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
don't want to get into a pissing match, my response was the one asking the question, but if it's debate you want...ok. First off you shot yourself with your own words "retired after graduation". It is apparent that you realize strikers suck in the long run. Now if your goal is to spent time and money on a warrior with no future in hopes of maybe doing this or that then fine go for it.

**Define no hope. 99.9+% of the warriors a manager will create ultimately have no hope on the top end. The 21 WT Design is capable of running and winning in ADM for awhile if he chooses to run it.

Quote:
I learned a long time ago don't waste yourself, and try to make what will be the best. This doesn't mean all warriors should be LU, SL, or whatever, and it doesn't mean strikers don't have a place.

**Agreed, it should be about maximizing efficiency, and in terms of that, this warrior is best as a Striker. Try to get the most out of your return. Yeah, a Lunger might have a 0.1 shot of being a top end warrior in comparison to a 0.0 shot of a Striker, but send the Striker out to maximize your chances of TC'ing or winning and earning free fights while you learn about the game. The reward is much higher and the risk is 0.1 or less.

Quote:
Hey, I have strikers, but this was a less experienced manager asking advice, your post about retiring him upon graduation should have been your first post so he would know the design has no REAL future in ADM.

Why would an inexperienced manager be worried about what he's retiring in ADM? And from a design standpoint, this warrior is runnable all the way up to high ADM if you want to. If you are thinking about Primus or Gateway then design isn't relevant. A warrior is just "is" or "isn't".

[/quote]
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, Manager, I think what this design is 'best' as depends entirely on your goals. It is 'best' for a Tournament-player such as yourself as a striker, because that maximizes its chance of winning a TC.

A rookie or arena manager would probably be better off designing the warrior for longer-term playability, which for this particular design I think is slasher, due to the ability to last farther into ADM thanks to the higher attack. However, if even regular ADM is a non-issue, then we're definitely back to striker.

It's really up to what your goals are.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic