New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1576

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Putting life into ADM
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Woody
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had an idea for an ADM arena which could liven up the upper end.

Warriors would only be eligible to enter this arena at an exact FE (maybe 50). No more, no fewer.

Once in this arena, their records are reset at 0-0-0.

Warriors in this arena would have a finite career (maybe 100) and then they are permanently retired from the game.

Once a warrior enters this arena, they may not transfer out. (Though they may participate in tourneys).

Comments?

Apex
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Woody wrote:

Warriors would only be eligible to enter this arena at an exact FE (maybe 50). No more, no fewer.

Warriors in this arena would have a finite career (maybe 100) and then they are permanently retired from the game.

Once a warrior enters this arena, they may not transfer out. (Though they may participate in tourneys).

Comments?

Great idea, but it'll never go. Too many have WAY too much to loose. Considering that most of the upper end guys only play the upper end, there would be no reason for them to keep going.

3) The usually pointed end of an object; the tip
Woody
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Apex wrote:
Woody wrote:

Comments?

Great idea, but it'll never go. Too many have WAY too much to loose. Considering that most of the upper end guys only play the upper end, there would be no reason for them to keep going.

It would be purely optional.
This would be a good place to take many of those warriors who are retired upon graduation.

Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What would be the point? What is the incentive to enter the arena in the first place?

If I wanted to retire my warrior, I'm just going to stop running him...
Woody
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
What would be the point? What is the incentive to enter the arena in the first place?

If I wanted to retire my warrior, I'm just going to stop running him...

The point is to have someplace to play that is guaranteed to be free of any bottlenecks.

Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
The point is to have someplace to play that is guaranteed to be free of any bottlenecks.

100, 101, 103, 104, 105, etc. are all free of bottlenecks.
KnightHospitaller
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just my 2 cents.
I'm not sure how to breath life into ADM. It seems few really care about it. How many people get their turns and just go to the end to see if they got that stat raise or learned any skills? Seems like alot.
No rivalries. Just about everyone knows everyone, so no one wants to go "hammer and tong" against a friend.
Few personals. Few spotlights. Few will run anything in ADM unless it has "potential" at the top. Primus is a yawner. The only thing that seems to matter is winning a tournament. Alot a managers don't consider winning an ADM throne worth writing a DM column. Lots of apathy.

I would like to propose that Lord Protectors ranked "Grand Champions" and below (ADM) and "The Tower Guard" and below (Primus) be allowed to fight in the Dark Arena. This would not impact the top rankings or title match. Any manager who never got his fill or shot at fighting Gateway monsters would have it as an option. I believe it might spark some interest in ADM/Primus realm for some managers. This could be something RSI could try for 6-12 months and then re-evalute it.
Just a thought.

I don't run much in ADM because I think it is boring and most of my guys are designed to win in basics and I've been told for more years than I can count that they have "no potential" in ADM.

Knight Protector of Chimlevtal

"I ran Mannequin out of Chimlevtal & Crysalis"

"...Wicked Hospitallers, each full of zeal and without weakness." - Imad-ad-Din, Moslem Chronicler
RTR
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KnightHospitaller wrote:
Just my 2 cents.
I'm not sure how to breath life into ADM. It seems few really care about it. How many people get their turns and just go to the end to see if they got that stat raise or learned any skills? Seems like alot.
No rivalries. Just about everyone knows everyone, so no one wants to go "hammer and tong" against a friend.
Few personals. Few spotlights. Few will run anything in ADM unless it has "potential" at the top. Primus is a yawner. The only thing that seems to matter is winning a tournament. Alot a managers don't consider winning an ADM throne worth writing a DM column. Lots of apathy.

I would like to propose that Lord Protectors ranked "Grand Champions" and below (ADM) and "The Tower Guard" and below (Primus) be allowed to fight in the Dark Arena. This would not impact the top rankings or title match. Any manager who never got his fill or shot at fighting Gateway monsters would have it as an option. I believe it might spark some interest in ADM/Primus realm for some managers. This could be something RSI could try for 6-12 months and then re-evalute it.
Just a thought.

I don't run much in ADM because I think it is boring and most of my guys are designed to win in basics and I've been told for more years than I can count that they have "no potential" in ADM.

Not bad. How about a new SURVEY??? This one has been up FOREVER!

"When you cross me, you cross my entire heritage. And my ancestors were unstoppable tyrants of the City of Brass."
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KnightHospitaller wrote:
Just my 2 cents.

Just a thought.

We are no sure how that adds value to all players. If everyone fights NPC's or DA's, aren't they doing what you are concerned about - not fighting each other?

And, what special "spark" does it add?

Not that it isn't a bad idea, but those are probably some of the reasons it has not been implemented.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727

Last edited by The Consortium on Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Giving warriors the option of fighting MORE computers and LESS human opponents will not help breathe life into ADM.

Human interaction is key to the game. You guys have had your epic thread and a poll, leave this one alone.
RTR
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
Giving warriors the option of fighting MORE computers and LESS human opponents will not help breathe life into ADM.

Human interaction is key to the game. You guys have had your epic thread and a poll, leave this one alone.

Says you. We didn't make the poll smart guy. We didn't make the epic thread. Get a clue. Are you a big ADM guy?

"When you cross me, you cross my entire heritage. And my ancestors were unstoppable tyrants of the City of Brass."
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Last edited by One Armed Bandit on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
RTR
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:

I will no longer be responding to this subject.

Thank you kindly.

gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What about triing to put Life into ADM by putting Death into ADM. What if you were only immortal in Primus?

Just a thought.

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not sure what purpose Woody's idea serves.

If you are looking for a place for warriors who should otherwise retire, there is already an arena called Home Guard.

I think there must be incentives to induce players to change their playing habits. What is the incentive in putting a warrior in an arena for a set number of turns and then being forced to retire them? It seems like all negative and no positive to me.

In my opinion, ADM would be improved if there was a greater variety of styles that were played in both regular ADM and Primus. For this to happen, there would have to be an incentive to max out a ST, a PR, etc. The incentive could be as simple as a more balanced end game or as complicated as special tournaments or rewards for the top warriors of each style. But if there were an incentive to run non-ABs and non-LUs in the end game, this would trickle down to ADM and eventually Basic, creating greater variety throughout the game and I think this would be an improvement over the status quo.

The best idea that I can come up with is, once per year (probably in the Spring Mail-in), give out extra prizes in the Primus tournament to the top warrior of each Style that did not TC (no extra prizes for the winner). Something small, on the level of 1/3 of a normal prize (or even just a +1 bonus potion, which I believe is 1/10 of a normal prize these days). No extra tournaments need to be run or programming done. Just grab the newsletter from the last round of Primus and use that list of Stylemasters (a PS at 2-3, a LU at 9-3, etc.) as your winner list. You could even forgo a Fool's tournament in Primus and call these stylemasters the Fool PR TC and the Fool BA TC, to add a little more flavor to it.

I think this would be easily implemented, would not have a hugely negative impact on the game (assuming the prize level was kept very low), and would give people a reason to run non-traditional styles to the end game.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic