New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1576

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 2 LUNGERS. Should I vary my strats for Tourney?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
matrix
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have two lungers I'm sending to the tourney and I'm wondering if I should fight them 10-10-* in the !st min like I would in the reg. arena.

Then on the ALT. strat, how do you fight against a TP with a lunger? Any good IDEAS?

PS- Do parry strikers do well in Novice tourneys?

I have great belief in the fact that whenever there is chaos, it creates wonderful thinking. I consider chaos a gift.

CHAOS INC.
SunGod
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="matrix"]I have two lungers I'm sending to the tourney and I'm wondering if I should fight them 10-10-* in the !st min like I would in the reg. arena.

Then on the ALT. strat, how do you fight against a TP with a lunger? Any good IDEAS?

Lungers do just fine in the tourney running 10-10-*. Some will disagree,but, thats how i run 'most' of mine. Vs. TP or any scummy type, I try to keep them around the M/L range. That will keep them active and they will be able to go for a while. The key to a lunger beating a TP in the lower tourneys is to crit and do it a lot. A strat that is low may make your guy crit less. Three mins of crits is more effective that 6 mins of normals.

Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

matrix wrote:

Generally, no. However, there is always the exception to the rule. I'm sure one of the managers with all the tourney knowledge could point out an exception.

Currently, I am developing one for a run in the champions tournament. It will be a long time off though. I'm hoping that I can get 40-45+ FE without the guy getting pulled to ADM. He'll be a long shot in the champions, but I am experimenting with him every tournament to see how best he runs.

matrix
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Flagg wrote:
matrix wrote:

Generally, no. However, there is always the exception to the rule. I'm sure one of the managers with all the tourney knowledge could point out an exception.

Thanks FLAGG... his stats are 11-17-10-15-9-9-13...Does good DAM and can take alot. (2-0-1) in the REG. arena.

I have great belief in the fact that whenever there is chaos, it creates wonderful thinking. I consider chaos a gift.

CHAOS INC.
Flagg
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

matrix wrote:
I have two lungers I'm sending to the tourney and I'm wondering if I should fight them 10-10-* in the !st min like I would in the reg. arena.

I would say that would depend on his decise. If he has a good amount of decise, I believe that it's possible to jump a striker with more decise. I had a lunger with a confirmed amount of decise skills in a tournament that matched up with a striker. My guy got the jump (without using a min. one tactic) held the initiative and beat the crud out of this striker. After the fight the striker picked up one decise skill and a rating. He had 5 more decise than my lunger. Now normally, in my opinion, most strikers are run hot vs. lungers (10-10-x-D). I could be wrong and this striker was running slower hoping for a riposte, but judging by the armor and weapon I would think that he was running hot.
Point of this being: if he has a decent amount of decise run him normal vs. offensives in a tournament. If he has very little decise you may want to consider a riposting or dodging defensive type opening and then switching over in min. 2 or 3 (depending on his endurance) to his primary strategy. You might also consider putting a little more armor than usual on the guy if you go with the defensive opening. Ringmail is a good choice to allow you to take a few hits, if necessary, and then grab the initiative and run with it.

Flagg
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="matrix]Thanks FLAGG... his stats are 11-17-10-15-9-9-13...Does good DAM and can take alot. (2-0-1) in the REG. arena.[/quote]

Hmmm... Tank this guy up and try him as a scum, IMHO. With his low will he won't run very long, even with a scum strat and the PS's low endurance burn, so you may want to open him up in the 3rd or 4th minute.

Just keep in mind, I've never had a TV/TC myself, so use my suggestions at your own risk! Wink

Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

Generally, *YES*. They are at their strongest (in comparison to the development of other tourney styles) in the lower end classes. The reason is that base wise they start off only one behind Strikers, and can be bonused Attack. They will fall behind in Attack and Decise because of the Piker tri-learn tendency as they move up the basic classes. The last 4 Parry-Strike TCs were in Rookies-Eligibles-Novices-Novices. Those are the classes that they are strongest at.

With that in mind however, I wouldn't send that particular Parry-Strike. The numbers just don't look that good.

As for the Lunger--what class? If it's an early class, slow waaaay down. If it's a higher class, slow down but not that much.
gameogre
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The PS is kind of interesting, but his wit will limit his progress in a tourney and I'd really want at least three strats depending on what he was fighting and of course you only get two...

(He might armor up and use response against most offensives min 1, parry min 2 and open up min 3 or 4 to good effect, he could run a good long time at like 4-3-6 vs TP/PR/WOS and win his share but for instance lungers would eat either of those openings and probably parry tactic too)

Manager is a tourney encyclopedia and you won't go far wrong following his advice ever. That said, I don't have much luck with beginning lungers against TP's unless I hit their favorite tempo. (Mine can't last long enough to matter if I get too far under their best numbers, they have to make some crit attacks before they tire completely so I don't drop below say 6-4-6 open the first minute and sloooowly lower it.)
Flagg
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
Generally, *YES*. They are at their strongest (in comparison to the development of other tourney styles) in the lower end classes. The reason is that base wise they start off only one behind Strikers, and can be bonused Attack. They will fall behind in Attack and Decise because of the Piker tri-learn tendency as they move up the basic classes. The last 4 Parry-Strike TCs were in Rookies-Eligibles-Novices-Novices. Those are the classes that they are strongest at.

SEEEEE! I told ya one of the tourney guys out there would know. Hmmmm.... Manager likes 'em at the early stages and I don't... Hmmmm Manager has TV'd/TC'd. I haven't. OK, listen to him not me! Embarassed

matrix
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="Managerr"]
Quote:

As for the Lunger--what class? If it's an early class, slow waaaay down. If it's a higher class, slow down but not that much.

I actually sent 3 lungers , 2 into the ROOKs, and one into NOVIVE. The one I'm particularly fond of is 10-9-9-17-17-10-13 GOOD DAM, GOOD END, EX ATT. He's the NOVICE.

CHAOS INC.
SOLofTheFirm
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

my lungers seem to do just fine run 10-10-x against offensives, i usually go mod/low with a low kd to increase my crits thrown and aim rl against scum.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
SOLofTheFirm
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

thats the best way i have found to get my young lungers past MANAGER scum in rooks ,nov,and apprentice tourneys.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
f1zban1488
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ok i run alot of pikers contrary to what many think. True they suck at top end but in the lower classes they are so much fun. That particular piker is dead weight in my opinion though. I adjust my strats to pikers learn tendencies. Although most learn dec and par you still have alot you can do. Res, Par or Dec strats all work well. One I've found that will work as a decent default strat with some pikers is 10-10-5 Res. some may disagree but i've used it in over 30 fights and beat more than 60% of my opponents.

matrix
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the advive and tips ALL. I'll be sure to get back to you with my results from tourney! GOOD LUCK to you all! And may your foes (as long as it's none of mine) slide to the sands from your blades. M A T R I X

CHAOS INC.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic