New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Andorak: Andorian? Or only in name?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RudeBuddha
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hope you don't mind me butting in, but since I started playing again last Summer the differences of the Andorian/Delarquan arenas/styles has interested me.

It states in the Red Book (of lies?) that the nobility of the Andorian Fed. favor "chivalry and honor." Also, in the supplemental material I was given last summer, it states that killing a warrior in an Andorian arena can make you "less popular." Which led me to believe that there is some code invovled in determining popularity (and recognition?) in the different arenas. Is this true?

Personal observations:

60 (In my oppinion the quintisential Andorian arena) is the toughest arena I have fought in, TOGs or not. This has led me to respect the Andorian way, and also led me to like fighting in the Dalarq arenas.

When I am in an Andorian arena, I fight like an Andorian. When I am in a Dalarq Arena, I fight like an Andorian.

The Battle Royale was my favorite contest so far. This is fun stuff. There is something to be said about Chaos. It reminded me of the old days when you never knew what was going to happen each turn. But, everyone in it knew the rules, and entered at their own risk. This is not the case in the Andorian arenas, for everyone of you Delarq that insists that you wheer "accidently placed" in an Andorian arena, there are 10 Andorians who choose to be there. Is it really so hard to respect the wishes of the others in the arena? Or are some of you so starved for attention you insist upon acting like you are the class clown in high school?

I think Manager said it very well when he said that he felt that people learn better in a cooperative environment. I didn't mind so much the DC'ing. If I did not like the arena, I went and found one I did like. But some players don't have the money or experience to know what is available. Don't we all want more people to play this game? Don't we all want full arenas?

Go ahead flame me.

Rude Buddha

CHAOS INC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ahem brother sing it loud and clear! Whatever happened to respecting your fellow mangers and having common courtesy? I mean I don't mind dc from 1-15 points as long as the FE is simuliar. But some ppl like to try and downchallenge and headhunt as low as possible. Hell if the could they would be dcing into the dead column if they could get away with it. Then they will be the very first person crying about getting dc even if it is from 5 or fewer points. Then on top of that after these ppl stir up an arena for a few turns they leave it desolite and abondanded and wind up taking 4-5 mng. with them who were upset at their style of play. Personally I'm a tough resilent bastard so it doesn't derail me but new ppl coming into the game who are thin skinned don't see it this way. After all what good are 500 super warriors if the only to fight against are alts? Have you sponsored a young manger latley? I try to help the new ppl however I can As I would like them to stick around and give some feirce competition later. But hey what do I know? this is just my opionion. Laughing

can't we all just get along?
Tloi
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing

Hrm, you like Flame broiled or Fried?

How lame is it to post without a name -- you aren't boosting yourself are you Rude?

j/k

I think we should have more consolidation as it is boring as all get out to have no one in the arena to fight against. Nice when the matchups are in your favor, but still boring Twisted Evil

--Terry Pratchett
RascallyRabbit
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tloi wrote:
Laughing

Hrm, you like Flame broiled or Fried?

How lame is it to post without a name -- you aren't boosting yourself are you Rude?

j/k

I think we should have more consolidation as it is boring as all get out to have no one in the arena to fight against. Nice when the matchups are in your favor, but still boring Twisted Evil

Broiled or on the Foreman, rarely fried Cool

I'm all for consolidation also, or even more I'd like to see an open migration period, followed by consolidation. I have full arena teams that I'd run if I could get them into an arena that interests me Cool

"Every day life gives us 10,000 chances, all we have to do is reach out and take just one"
Myrdin
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I personally appreciate "andorian" style of play because it reflects an underlying respect for your opponent and some honor. The differences between Andorians and Delarquans seem to be similar to the difference between (here it comes) Samurai and Ninja in terms of the approach to battle and how an opponent is perceived but this seems a little extreme actually now that I think about it. As far as the invasions and stuff, well, if I was in an andorian arena or lets say in east asia fighting and honor was a factor then some guy from the united states came in and started kicking guys when they were down and picking on the smallest guys in the arena I would be a little appalled and probably try to defend the little guy. I am not looking to take sides but I must admit I have more respect for a man who respects his opponent then for the guy who is a win at all costs even at the cost of any semblance of integrity.

Now in the defense of Delarquan philosophy I admit I appreciate the challenge of someone trying to do what they can to mess with me because it keeps me on my toes and thats why I feel more drawn to the Free Blade's. I guess when it comes down to it each manager will interpret and roleplay their affiliation differently and there will be some pompous andorians that are whiney and complaining about someone else not fighting fairly and such and there will be the delarquans who go out of their way to establish their freedom even at the expense of their character and such but when it comes down to it how each of us plays will be our individual legacy's for us to look back on. I look at myself and my Duelmasters experiences so far and have had a lot of fun, made some friends and inspired some opposition. I have learned more from my opposition sometimes than from my friends, but of course I am not a member of any alliances and have not received any coaching or help from other players excepting once or twice many years ago.

You cant buy honor
You cant fake character
You cant fabricate skill
Where there is will there are ways

Learn from others mistakes, dont take it personally and do your best.

Myrdin

"Any fool can condemn, whine or complain
And they usually do."

"Teach what you know So that you can learn what you think you know"
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Adie
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The last half dozen posts or so generally reflect my own opinion too. Rude Buddha, 60 is definitely the perennial heavy weight Andorian arena, in terms of big name managers and competitions, but there are a few others with different qualities that stand out. My home arena, dm11, is the one I know best, and it has always had a pretty good size tight knit group that has given it its community feel, and it's talkative personality. Although the invasion seems to have dried up the talkativeness recently.

It's nice to know there are people who respect different philosophies and play accordingly. But I also admit Tloi's point that it's good fun to have a couple antagonists in a large Andorian arena who are there just to keep things churning. But total antipathy and 'invasions' are disrespectful of the long term managers who call it home.

I belong to the Cadre alliance, and respecting individual arena personalities is part of our philosophy. If you like what Aruak stands for, you're all invited to drop in. The larger the community the better. I can't recall ever having, nor needing a contest to keep our arena alive. It lives on its quiet, but unassailable, Andorian reputation.

Considering I started this threat to ask if Andorak is truly Andorian, I suppose we've moved a bit off-track. But I like what I hear. Kudos.

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Adie wrote:
The last half dozen posts or so generally reflect my own opinion too. Rude Buddha, 60 is definitely the perennial heavy weight Andorian arena, in terms of big name managers and competitions, but there are a few others with different qualities that stand out. My home arena, dm11, is the one I know best, and it has always had a pretty good size tight knit group that has given it its community feel, and it's talkative personality. Although the invasion seems to have dried up the talkativeness recently.

It's nice to know there are people who respect different philosophies and play accordingly. But I also admit Tloi's point that it's good fun to have a couple antagonists in a large Andorian arena who are there just to keep things churning. But total antipathy and 'invasions' are disrespectful of the long term managers who call it home.

DM60 IS a great arena, and a couple of years ago, when we Consortiumites played EVERYWHERE, we declared it the toughest of all arenas. There were others who supported Talcama for that "title", but in our opinion, it was most difficult, due to the managers present and the positive winning intensity, to have a great W/L record in the land of TOGS. Most of the managers were Andorian-like, but in our opinion, the arena feel was closer to "good-freebladers" than primo Andorian.

Our opinion is that DM11 and DM30 are the truest (whatever that means) arena forms for the Andorian environment. For a long time, and certainly currently, Aruak City has earned the title "Heart & Soul Of Andoria. Much of this is due to the hard core (or is it soft core?) managers there, and their desire to fulfill Health, Humility, & Honor. Clearly DM11 is the "hoppingest" of the Andorian strongholds. The fact that the long-time city teams "beat off" an invasion by Doc Steel and his Frothingslosher comrades promising to change the way of life of Aruak City speaks highly for their ferver.

DM30 was once the very strongest of the Andorian arenas, probably due to a strong olden days centering of the Ivory League, (dare we say their name?) some learning Andorians, and our own Lenpro.

I belong to the Cadre alliance, and respecting individual arena personalities is part of our philosophy. If you like what Aruak stands for, you're all invited to drop in. The larger the community the better. I can't recall ever having, nor needing a contest to keep our arena alive. It lives on its quiet, but unassailable, Andorian reputation.

Considering I started this threat to ask if Andorak is truly Andorian, I suppose we've moved a bit off-track. But I like what I hear. Kudos.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
illkidk
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:
Aruak City has earned the title "Heart & Soul Of Andoria. Much of this is due to the hard core (or is it soft core?)managers there

lol! Good one.

The Consortium wrote:
The fact that the long-time city teams "beat off" an invasion by Doc Steel and his Frothingslosher comrades promising to change the way of life of Aruak City speaks highly for their ferver.

It is my understanding that their fervor was affected by the invasion? Furthermore, most of the former invaders seem to feel like their work was done and the arena became uninteresting, they definitely don't feel as though they were "beat off"...or maybe they do. I guess that would explain the smiles on their faces as they walked away from the city walls.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uninteresting? I guess ignoring them was the exact right strategy to use! As to the job? They were worthy opponents some; average opponents other; but it didn't affect anyone's fervor in the least. Why just about 5 turns back I targeted Doc's warrior for killing on a DC; it died, I lost 2 BF's outta 2 but the 1-7-1 warrior will always remain legend within my stables for that single victory!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
illkidk
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
Uninteresting? I guess ignoring them was the exact right strategy to use! As to the job? They were worthy opponents some; average opponents other; but it didn't affect anyone's fervor in the least. Why just about 5 turns back I targeted Doc's warrior for killing on a DC; it died, I lost 2 BF's outta 2 but the 1-7-1 warrior will always remain legend within my stables for that single victory!

Funny thing is I heard it all started because of some folks running their mouths and trying to dictate how other managers participated in the arena. These same mouthy Andorians must be the same ones that kept their mouths shut as they were being slaughtered. I would say it definitely affected the fervor of some, perhaps not overall. A single victory is unimpressive against Doc Steele. Bring on the data!

Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

illkidk wrote:
Street_Legal wrote:

Funny thing is I heard it all started because of some folks running their mouths and trying to dictate how other managers participated in the arena. These same mouthy Andorians must be the same ones that kept their mouths shut as they were being slaughtered. I would say it definitely affected the fervor of some, perhaps not overall. A single victory is unimpressive against Doc Steele. Bring on the data!

if you want to hear something interesting about aruak, i had a warrior that was 1-0-1 got bloodfueded by a warrior that was something like 15-5(cant really remember). well, needless to say my warrior handled the seemingly dominate warrior. but the very next turn, he lost to the same warrior. oh, and just so no one thinks i am telling a tall tale, the warriors names are: gunmetal and serenity.

The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

illkidk wrote:

I don't think there was much slaughtering, at least not much more than usual, but the key to the "beat off" is that the old way of Andorian - Health! Humility! Honor! life is unchanged, the Frothers/invaders no longer there in mass, no more discussion of "changing those Andorian ways", and Doc, who promised to be a fixture, hardly ever playing his one remaining of three teams. Our summation of "beat off" was to mean that the climax is over and the Defenders have defended and all is well in Andoria.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you heard it that way from "them" then you can disbelieve the rest of what they said. It ALL started after I suggested to a new manager looking for an arena where there was "less killing" that Aruak was perfect for him. The next thing you know every chest thumper was saying "you wouldn't make me play that way; I'm coming, I'm killing, and I'm never leaving!

Where are they now? They realized we protect each other and we didn't try and force them how to play through a shouting match but through our actions, and lack of actions, and that we do it in the most honorable fashion and not in a "bullying" fashion!

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Angus
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
If you heard it that way from "them" then you can disbelieve the rest of what they said. It ALL started after I suggested to a new manager looking for an arena where there was "less killing" that Aruak was perfect for him. The next thing you know every chest thumper was saying "you wouldn't make me play that way; I'm coming, I'm killing, and I'm never leaving!

Where are they now? They realized we protect each other and we didn't try and force them how to play through a shouting match but through our actions, and lack of actions, and that we do it in the most honorable fashion and not in a "bullying" fashion!

Oh lovely. Can we dig this dead body up again for all to see? Let it lie, man. Aruak changed for like 10 turns. At the very best it's a draw because they played their way and you played yours. I believe that was sorta their point...at least Doc's point anyway. At the end of the day budgets and other real life issues made the final call on staying or going for most of those guys just like everyone else. Sheesh...nuff said.

"It's never how you LIVE that inspires people to want to be heroes. It's how you DIE." -Oliver Queen
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Angus wrote:
Oh lovely. Can we dig this dead body up again for all to see? Let it lie, man. Aruak changed for like 10 turns. At the very best it's a draw because they played their way and you played yours. I believe that was sorta their point...at least Doc's point anyway. At the end of the day budgets and other real life issues made the final call on staying or going for most of those guys just like everyone else. Sheesh...nuff said.

We cannot leave it at that. Not at all. There was no "draw". There was no changing of the normal philosophy and Honorability of Aruak City. The invaders simply lost and faded into the sunset. The defenders had a positive "puff" to their overall collective recored. Street Legal was 100% correct. Sure, there was an "invasion". Sure there was excitement and the invaders acted like invaders. But the intent of the invasion - to bully/force the locals away from their life-long principles simply did not happen. Nada. Today, Aruak City is as Aruak City was - The Heart and Soul of Andoria. The credo of - avoid killing, don't down challenge, be helpful to newbies, and respect for all - remains untainted.

And so it should be allowed to remain.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic