New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 1577

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Tourney Changes
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NeonOne_2
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Suggestion #1 for discussion: Eliminate the Freshmen tourney and institute an Inducted Freshmen tourney.

1. Let the current Freshmen fight where their skills & stats place them (ADM or Eligible).
2. Lower the current ADM & Eligible cut-off scores, and create a new break-point between the Eligible cut-off and the top of Primus. If the current breaks are at (approx.): ADM - 185 total skills/12 trains and below, Eligible - 205 total skills/24 trains and below, then the new cut-off should be about 270 total skills/40 trains. (A size 3 warrior needs 69 stat trains to totally max out, a size 21 needs 87.) Wherever the break points are, they should create four tourney classes of roughly equal size: ADM, Eligible, Primus Freshmen, Primus.
3. Primus Freshmen should get a minimum of 5 tourney fights (because the warriors are in that range of difficult stat trains.), but not necessarily go to full triple elimination like Primus.

Discussion?

- Neon One

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am ok with this... making the ADM cut off lower would make it possible for the new ADM graduates to be competitive relatively soon.

I would take the plan one step farther though.

I would merge Primus with Gateway to create one top end arena.
PriGate
|
ADM Regionals (I would get rid of that Lirith Kai arena too)
|
Basic Duelmasters

Tourneys would be:

PriGate
|
PriGate Freshmen
|
Eligibles
|
ADM
|
Champs
|
Adepts
|
Inits
|
Apps
|
Nov
|
Rooks

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don´t care if you add another tourney class or not (preferably not, but I can live with it) but I totally support the abolition of the Freshmen tourney.

Considering:

1.)It´s usually the smallest tournament class.
2.)RSI has a history of mis-classing warriors in this tourney.
3.)What Neon said about the top of the Freshmen class also being would be ADM TC contenders.

It is the most broken tournament class in the game.
JRK
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with the idea of making eligibility for the Freshmen the same as the other AD classes (ie: based on how good the warrior actually is).

I think the idea of a lower Primus tourney might give a lot of managers who feel that their warriors career ends with induction something to look forward to. They could get all the relatively quick training of going to 5-7 trains in every stat without having to slog their way to straight 25s before they are competative.

For me fixing the tournies won´t fix the game. I don´t care that much about tournies. But since the majority does care about them I think its something RSI needs to seriously consider. I can´t see what the problem would be with adding another tourney or two would just get them more $.
NeonOne_2
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"Fixing" the Freshmen tourney is basically the same as my proposal. You end up with four levels of tourney (Primus & Gateway being considered on the same level, i.e. top-end), and it´s just a matter of where you place the cut-offs. Actually, this idea of "fixing" the Freshmen would probably be an easier sell to the players. By moving up the cut-off points significantly, those guys that are barely inducted now would drop back down to being Eligible (which would be, in essence, the Primus Freshmen tourney). Psychologically, it´s easier to accept a change that you percieve as being beneficial to your warriors.
- Neon

Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Combining Primus & Gateway isn´t a good idea. It would mean doing away with Primus as we know it, because you would have to grant all the current Primus warriors the extra skills and faster trains available in Gateway. Primus would cease to exist.
Those warriors at the top of Primus would just be added to the logjam of warriors at the top of Gateway, making it even harder to TV past the increased number of modified warriors at the top. (Right now, you can choose which half of the freaks you want to deal with, but you don´t have to fight past all of them.)
- Neon

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I like the idea of axing the freshmen in favor of a higher pre-induction tourney. This would create two decent ADM tournies and bring alot of retired inductees out of the woodwork making a decent tourney class. Saving good warriors for the fresh class sux anyway when most of us would rather be training away after graduation.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One change I would like to see (though this would be incredibly unpopular with some) would be a penalty for selling TC prizes. I find it extremely jaded that some are in position to TC regularly and take advantage of this fact by selling prizes for top dollar. Since we live in a capitalistic society and one a prize is received it IS the ‘property’ of the owner, I can understand one having the right to do with it as he pleases. However, due to multiple wins – or financial need – one decides to sell a TC prize, he/she should be restricted from participation in the next tournament.

Like I said, unpopular – but a change I’d like to see.

The result would be managers either using their prizes to strengthen themselves (I know, I know) – or a temporary weeding out of those in entrenched positions.

Of course – as with any and all rules changes – there would be those sulking away in dark corners, brooding over how to cheat the new system….
Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

RSI should never do away with the buying/selling/transfer of prizes. The tourney game is what makes this game so popular with so many managers.

Because these prizes are so well sought after, it creates a market for the prizes, which creates interest in the game.

Let's not make ANY changes to the game which would reduce interest in the game, please!

Mikey / Assur
Apex
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gotta agree with Assur.

Now, I need a skill bonus prize. Anybody got one? Very Happy
neonone
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

NeonOne_2 wrote:
Suggestion #1 for discussion: Eliminate the Freshmen tourney and institute an Inducted Freshmen tourney.
<BR>
<BR>1. Let the current Freshmen fight where their skills & stats place them (ADM or Eligible).
<BR>2. Lower the current ADM & Eligible cut-off scores, and create a new break-point between the Eligible cut-off and the top of Primus. If the current breaks are at (approx.): ADM - 185 total skills/12 trains and below, Eligible - 205 total skills/24 trains and below, then the new cut-off should be about 270 total skills/40 trains. (A size 3 warrior needs 69 stat trains to totally max out, a size 21 needs 87.) Wherever the break points are, they should create four tourney classes of roughly equal size: ADM, Eligible, Primus Freshmen, Primus.
<BR>3. Primus Freshmen should get a minimum of 5 tourney fights (because the warriors are in that range of difficult stat trains.), but not necessarily go to full triple elimination like Primus.
<BR>
<BR>Discussion?
<BR>
<BR>- Neon One

Was this really from a year and a half ago? I guess they took half my suggestion; they created a tourney class in-between Eligibles and Primus. They even put the cut-off where I suggested, about 270 skills / 40 trains. I think this has been received as a positive thing.

Manager responded that he thought Freshmen was the most broken class in the game, and it appears it still is. As long as RSI allows recent graduates to fight Freshmen, managers are going to take advantage, and that favors managers like LHI who have lots of champions to choose from. They need to take that final step and fix this by classifying new AD warriors upon graduation regardless of when that graduation takes place.

Woelfe
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="neonone"]
NeonOne_2 wrote:

Manager responded that he thought Freshmen was the most broken class in the game, and it appears it still is. As long as RSI allows recent graduates to fight Freshmen, managers are going to take advantage, and that favors managers like LHI who have lots of champions to choose from. They need to take that final step and fix this by classifying new AD warriors upon graduation regardless of when that graduation takes place.

I thought that folks reported warriors getting pulled into ADM instead of Freshmen in certain situations...
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What happened: A few managers saw what happened at the FtF and decided that they had Challengers who they knew would be sucked. They ran those and graduated them after the ADM freeze. As a result they were Freshmen.

Meanwhile, in an effort to stave off misclassification, RSI moved the Challenger Suckoffs (manual) to ADM. Which resulted in less broken warriors in the Freshmen, but a much more lopsided tourney.

It took like 2 years for RSI to get the Freshmen right the first time. Kill this class, kill it kill it kill it!
pipthetroll
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
It took like 2 years for RSI to get the Freshmen right the first time. Kill this class, kill it kill it kill it!

There's nothing wrong with the freshmen tourney, just the misclassification of a bunch of warriors. I'm sure you'd feel the same about the rookies tourney if RSI kept letting a bunch of 10FE warriors into it.

I know you avoid PP like the plague, so the freshmen tourney isn't for you, its for those people who actually graduate warriors. If you're not sandbagging its a long way from graduation to competetiveness in the ADM tourney.

I find it funny that those always bitching about removing the freshmen tourney are those whose warriors commonly skip over it.(i.e.sandbagging mega's).

The root of the problem(old freshmen and new), stems from the challengers class. People avoiding the graduation requirements for as long as possible causes these problems. If you want to remove a class, remove that one(Yeah, no tourney for you if you have more than 30FE and arent graduated. You either suck bad enough where it wouldn't matter, or you're manipulating the graduation requirements and don't deserve one). That will stop all the problems with misclassified freshmen. Of course, its cheaper to set up a challengers competitor than a freshmen one, so noone would go for this.

Of course, they could just apply the split to newly graduated warriors and fix the actual problem.
pipthetroll
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

neonone wrote:
They need to take that final step and fix this by classifying new AD warriors upon graduation regardless of when that graduation takes place.

Was it you who put that on a poll at the duel group? You should have put it as a poll here, then you could vote 200 times for it. I know I'm not the only one who has noticed there are 400 some odd members, and 700+ votes for some of the polls. Someones voting more than once. If RSI is going to base their changes based on the polls here(like the changes to basic tourney splits, the current prize, etc), maybe the poll should only let you vote once?
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic