New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - 1st turn
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VVirik
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was just digging through some of my earliest fights and found the fights and newsletter from my first turn.

Turn 2 of Ti # 23 September 11 1985.
Good times....good times.
I went 1-1. I could only afford to fight a couple of warriors every week.

24 years later my excitement at opening the RSI envelope is no different...even if the envelope is. I miss those big 8.5X11 envelopes with FIRST CLASS stamped across the back.
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

VVirik wrote:
I was just digging through some of my earliest fights and found the fights and newsletter from my first turn.

24 years later my excitement at opening the RSI envelope is no different...even if the envelope is. I miss those big 8.5X11 envelopes with FIRST CLASS stamped across the back.

Yeah, the wait for the mail hasn't changed. FYI - if you fight a couple of teams they will send out the larger volume of mail in a full sized envelope, although it will be white, not the brown ones of our youth.

I recently thought about fighting a warrior in AD who was there for turn one of Kolact. It would be fun - just looking at the id#! Then I remembered that the warrior was terrible and was retired for a reason.

Dragonbane Guild(81)

Last edited by Nomad on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
SwineTiger
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There was a great thread awhile ago on nostalgia, but good luck finding it. However, one thing that was definitely touched upon by me was the fondness for those old orange envelopes. Also, receiving diplomatic messages were like getting the prize in your cereal.

I still have a number of warriors that haven't graduated from these inactive 1985 teams:

Dead for Hire (arena 8 )
Dire Fate (arena 11)
Fantasia Isle (arena 25)
Voodoo Zoo Etc. (arena 31)
House of Rats (arena 36)

The problem is that the warriors were poorly designed and/or mismanaged, but DAing them for new warriors just wouldn't be the same. I do like that my team in 31 has two former DM's from '85 that make cameos once or twice a year...and then crawl back into the infirmary. This team also boasts the worst warrior I ever created that wasn't sent to the DA: It's a 2-3 ripper with the following stats: 15-8-7-10-11-14-20. We knew so little in the '80's.

SwineTiger
VVirik
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Speak for yourself....I still know so little Laughing
But....I am learning a lot from these forums. My duelcabulary has gone through the roof.

I got back into the game through a friend. We reconnected after years, and one of the first things we got to talking about was playing DM back in the day. Well, of course we had to fire it back up again. It has been, so far, one of the better decisions I have made in a while Very Happy ....but that could all change when I get my turns back this round!
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember Voodoo Zoo, I ran Bushmasters in DM 31. I think I transfereed the team out of there and don't even have a team in 31 anymore.

SwineTiger wrote:
There was a great thread awhile ago on nostalgia, but good luck finding it. However, one thing that was definitely touched upon by me was the fondness for those old orange envelopes. Also, receiving diplomatic messages were like getting the prize in your cereal.

I still have a number of warriors that haven't graduated from these inactive 1985 teams:

Dead for Hire (arena 8 )
Dire Fate (arena 11)
Fantasia Isle (arena 25)
Voodoo Zoo Etc. (arena 31)
House of Rats (arena 36)

The problem is that the warriors were poorly designed and/or mismanaged, but DAing them for new warriors just wouldn't be the same. I do like that my team in 31 has two former DM's from '85 that make cameos once or twice a year...and then crawl back into the infirmary. This team also boasts the worst warrior I ever created that wasn't sent to the DA: It's a 2-3 ripper with the following stats: 15-8-7-10-11-14-20. We knew so little in the '80's.

SwineTiger
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nomad wrote:
VVirik wrote:

Yeah, the wait for the mail hasn't changed. FYI - if you fight a couple of teams they will send out the larger volume of mail in a full sized envelope, although it will be white, not the brown ones of our youth.

I recently thought about fighting a warrior in AD who was there for turn one of Kolact. It would be fun - just looking at the id#! Then I remembered that the warrior was terrible and was retired for a reason.

My first ones came in those large white envelopes with the green diamonds lineing the border. Remember those. I still have all my old teams stored in those envelopes, I have since graduated to binders.

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

gentleben wrote:
Nomad wrote:
VVirik wrote:

My first ones came in those large white envelopes with the green diamonds lineing the border. Remember those. I still have all my old teams stored in those envelopes, I have since graduated to binders.

The orange, the green, the Duelmaster warrior logo on the 8 1/2 x 11 envelope ....... we loved 'em all. HOWEVER, my wife (of 37+ years) counts it as a blessing that plain white envelopes are used now. It is less embarrassing, says she! We (The Consortium - not the wife), too anticipate the mail arrival, but thanks to the internet postings, maybe not as much as we did in those 80's and 90's.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
PurpleSage
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah boxes and boxes of envelopes to look through to figure out what the heck I am doing and what I can hide from the wifey,

PurpleSage

gentleben wrote:
Nomad wrote:
VVirik wrote:

Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't type that too loudly! (glancing furtively over shoulder)... Shocked Wink

PurpleSage wrote:
Ah boxes and boxes of envelopes to look through to figure out what the heck I am doing and what I can hide from the wifey,

PurpleSage

gentleben wrote:
Nomad wrote:
VVirik wrote:

PurpleSage
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Grim?,

I remeber a grim I think??? hmmmm

PurpleSAGE
Mannequin
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:

The orange, the green, the Duelmaster warrior logo on the 8 1/2 x 11 envelope ....... we loved 'em all. HOWEVER, my wife (of 37+ years) counts it as a blessing that plain white envelopes are used now. It is less embarrassing, says she! We (The Consortium - not the wife), too anticipate the mail arrival, but thanks to the internet postings, maybe not as much as we did in those 80's and 90's.

I loved the colored envelopes and the odd looks I got from the mailman didn't bother me a bit.

I could live with the plain white envelopes IF they were full-sized. I absolutely hate the half-sized envelopes I usually get with all my stuff folded in half. Grrrrr.................. Evil or Very Mad

Mannequin

"You're a madman!"
"Aye, I've come to the right place then."
PurpleSage
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How dare they!!!!

I have kept every single piece of paper reality ever sent and none of it is folded. Can you still run a 200 page fight tank? How the heck you gonna fold that.

Many Seasons stands their as the sweat poors from the aim blow dancing around.

Purple Sage
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PurpleSage wrote:
How dare they!!!!

I have kept every single piece of paper reality ever sent and none of it is folded. Can you still run a 200 page fight tank? How the heck you gonna fold that.

Many Seasons stands their as the sweat poors from the aim blow dancing around.

Purple Sage

Sure you can run one. The record length fight is 32,000+ minutes - only one crew has done it more than once. You guessed it!

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
PurpleSage
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Not to cast despersion or any negatives was it a planed fight between two TP's using 1-1-1 decise? If so did they attack and protect arms and wear scale with shield or fist? Were they primus TP's. I have no intrest in challenging that record and give you props just curious.

Sincerely Purple Sage
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

PurpleSage wrote:
Not to cast despersion or any negatives was it a planed fight between two TP's using 1-1-1 decise? If so did they attack and protect arms and wear scale with shield or fist? Were they primus TP's. I have no intrest in challenging that record and give you props just curious.

Sincerely Purple Sage

Freshmen

All occurred at Faces (6 times)

Only one that we know was staged and that was done to see if the first match between the warriors that Face was repeatable. (Firts Minny Face)

In all cases except the staged one, at least one, and usually both, of the warriors were NOT going 1-1-1 across. Not at all.

One can imagine the chagrin of the other participants as 10" of paper (times 2) is printed for one fight at a Face.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum