New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104512

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Ethics
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What is the general rule on spouses running in the same arena?
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Scruffy Puff wrote:
What is the general rule on spouses running in the same arena?

We have had past circumstances of spouses, children, parents running in the same arena. It has not been "frowned upon" in the community that we know of. Yes, there are certain advantages, but well-coordinated friends or allies can have the same advantages.

What becomes a more specific, ethical issue, and in our opinion a breach, is when the same person runs those two/several teams under separate names, in order to gain an advantage.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Barring, of course, The Consortium in DM 11. Wink Separate names is his gig. Razz

Seriously, though, a spouse or kids in the arena is no different from having alliancemates or friends in an arena, and little different from having multiple teams in an arena due to closures. (That would be why I referenced 11 - I run two teams there, Doc Steele has three, and Consortium also has three separate identities there.)

gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, does this mean that if my son plays, you think he should fight in another arena other than the one I fight in? If he were to control his own warriors and he treated me as any other manager (except for the fact he gets to read my fights), I don't see a problem with it. But if you think it would cause a problem, I will consult the arena prior to my son joining that arena, if he decides to play anyway.

Gentleben

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Consortium and Ichabod are right. I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. They will probably just be looking at it from the perspective of--MORE TEAMS!!!

By the way, come to Shadowspire DM 81!

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

No, he's fine to be in the same arena as you. It's just as if you had alliance mates in the arena with you, which is totally acceptable.

What the Consortium was saying was that the only "unethical" thing is to pretend to be two different managers in order to run two teams in one arena.

The only exception would be if you had teams in a closed arena - RSI allows you to move those to whichever arena you want, even if you already have a team there.

So in a nutshell, your son being in your arena is fine.

Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My wife has expressed a vague interest in D2. If we were in the same arena, she would be more likely to play. However, it would be a huge advantage to both of us, so I didn't know where the ethical boundaries lie and I don't want to discourage anyone by our "alliance."

Also, when she gets her butt smacked, I want it to be from me, and not any of you Lapurian clowns! I don't trust ANY of you, so I don't know...

Maybe she'll jump in 81. I hear that's an easy arena for beginners!
Ichabod
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As we've said several times now, there's nothing wrong with your wife or your kids playing in the same arena as you. Stop trying to convince yourself we're lying.

roadkill
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Scruffy Puff wrote:
My wife has expressed a vague interest in D2. If we were in the same arena, she would be more likely to play. However, it would be a huge advantage to both of us, so I didn't know where the ethical boundaries lie and I don't want to discourage anyone by our "alliance."

Also, when she gets her butt smacked, I want it to be from me, and not any of you Lapurian clowns! I don't trust ANY of you, so I don't know...

Maybe she'll jump in 81. I hear that's an easy arena for beginners!

So I'm a clown, I'm here to amuse you, maybe I'll do a little a dance, that would keep you entertained. The only dancing is on the grave of your warriors when one of the ladies gets their hands on them. (yes, I'm just kidding) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just as I'm sure you were kidding when you said 81 is an easy arena for beginners. Since sarcasim really doesn't come across well in the forum, don't be surprised if a couple of managers take a little offense to that one.
If I can ever find my fighters, I plan on returning to 81, a little humility can go a long way, and 81 and 29 are good places to learn it.

I think you'll find that most all managers will agree that having a family member in the same arena is no difference than having an alliance. I don't even mind a manager having multiple teams, as long as I know it's the same manager. What's turned me from a couple of arenas a few years back, was a manager having multiple teams with different personas playing against each other. I'm sure quite few managers have been burned trying to help someone or form an alliance only to have that trust betrayed and used against you.

I like the time when someone posted my warriors stats and strategies in the newsletter. Yeah, that one went over well.

Tell the wife to join 29, you already know what kind of arena it is, and nobody will think of it as an unfair advantage. If they do, I'll stop trying to kill my brothers fighters and try an kill some one else Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (and yes, I've had way too much coffee today)
Reaper
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

No one is going to complain...
This used to be the norm...
Alliances and friends collude all of the time...

I think everyone is happy to see more players returning to the game.
And to have new generations of players catching the obsession is very cool.

My shameless plug would be for you to join 41....
Don't listen to Roadkill...<grin>

R
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gentleben wrote:
So, does this mean that if my son plays, you think he should fight in another arena other than the one I fight in? If he were to control his own warriors and he treated me as any other manager (except for the fact he gets to read my fights), I don't see a problem with it. But if you think it would cause a problem, I will consult the arena prior to my son joining that arena, if he decides to play anyway.

Gentleben

Nope, that means that no one sees a problem with your handling it that way. Apparently neither of us were very clear in our writing.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
so I didn't know where the ethical boundaries lie and I don't want to discourage anyone by our "alliance."

Back in the day, it might have been a problem, but in the current age with instant communication and the ability to coordinate almost as well as two people living in the same house--it's not a big deal.

That said, you have an alliance now, but just wait until A.)She wins a TC before you do. or B.)She beats you for a TC.
Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Consortium wrote:

Apparently neither of us were very clear in our writing.

No, no, you have all been very informative and helpful, so thank you.

Please understand that this is all still new to some of us and the last thing we want to do is commit some kind of social faux pas. You've cleared it up though, and it's been much appreciated.

As for the goodfella... we'll deal with him and the little girls he calls 'warriors' later!
Scruffy Puff
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Managerr wrote:
Quote:
so I didn't know where the ethical boundaries lie and I don't want to discourage anyone by our "alliance."

Back in the day, it might have been a problem, but in the current age with instant communication and the ability to coordinate almost as well as two people living in the same house--it's not a big deal.

That said, you have an alliance now, but just wait until A.)She wins a TC before you do. or B.)She beats you for a TC.

LOL - I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure our marriage is strong enough to handle her beating me at something! I may have to rethink this... Smile
SwineTiger
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This shouldn't be a thread about ethics, but rather about celebration! Whenever a manager can get a woman involved in the game, it's such a rare occurrence that it's refreshing to hear.

I'm still at the stage where my wife hands me my D2 mail with tongs like its a diaper to be disposed of and says "here's your geek stuff."

In any case, I don't think anyone really cares if family members have teams in the same arena since it's really no difference than any other alliance. Besides, chances are you'll be battling each other Wink

SwineTiger
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum