New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22255

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Returning manager asking noobish questions
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
paradox23
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all!

I think it's been about 16 years since I've last taken part in a tournament and almost 20 years since I last played in a regular Arena.

I played at OrcCon in Los Angeles this year, and am very eager to get back in the game (while bringing a friend, new to the game, along for the ride). I don't have any of my old fights, research, etc, so I'm essentially starting from scratch, with a handful of decent warriors in my pocket. Unfortunately I don't know if there's any way to see how many skills they learned in the arena, and to figure out what their starting skill bases were.

I've slowly started scouring Terrablood's archives for game mechanics questions (most of which I recalled, and some of which seemed to be in opposition to what I remembered). But it's been a great experience trying to get my bearings again. But any other recommended reading to get up to speed would be greatly appreciated.

Also, looking for recommendations on how to best track my warriors. Anyone have a favorite spreadsheet or app they'd like to recommend?

What arenas are the most active? Where should I set up my new teams? What are the biggest (or small but important) changes that have happened in the game since the turn of the millennium?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Looking forward to playing with you all again.
Chief
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

paradox23 wrote:
Hi all!

I think it's been about 16 years since I've last taken part in a tournament and almost 20 years since I last played in a regular Arena.

I played at OrcCon in Los Angeles this year, and am very eager to get back in the game (while bringing a friend, new to the game, along for the ride). I don't have any of my old fights, research, etc, so I'm essentially starting from scratch, with a handful of decent warriors in my pocket. Unfortunately I don't know if there's any way to see how many skills they learned in the arena, and to figure out what their starting skill bases were.

I've slowly started scouring Terrablood's archives for game mechanics questions (most of which I recalled, and some of which seemed to be in opposition to what I remembered). But it's been a great experience trying to get my bearings again. But any other recommended reading to get up to speed would be greatly appreciated.

Also, looking for recommendations on how to best track my warriors. Anyone have a favorite spreadsheet or app they'd like to recommend?

What arenas are the most active? Where should I set up my new teams? What are the biggest (or small but important) changes that have happened in the game since the turn of the millennium?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Looking forward to playing with you all again.

email Sandy at Sandy@reality.com and ask her for learns / current skills on the warriors in question - she'll respond when she has time - depending on how busy things are could be anywhere from 1 day to a week

log in to Chatzy (pinned at the top of the thread) - ask away there - tends to be fairly active day to day - people are more than willing to help

best of luck!

Than facing fearful odds
For the ashes of his fathers
And the temples of his gods?
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Great to see you back. And bringing a friend, even better!

I may be a bit biased, but I'd recommend dm21, Sunset, and dm33, Niytyole, as two of the liveliest regular arenas still going strong. Sadly, most of the others are on life support, but there a a handful of regular arena managers who keep some places alive and well. Hope to see you and your friend there.

Post questions you can't find answers to on the boards here or on Chatzy, most everyone is more than willing to help you get up to speed!

Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rules, Charts, Etc:
www.reality.com/dm/index.php
www.duel2.info (Not a complete set of information, but the charts here are better than you'll find anywhere else - many corrected mistakes)
www.terrablood.com

Chatroom: (Already mentioned, see http://www.reality.com/dm/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7353)

Best arenas:
DM 33 - Most active arena, but it is VERY juvenile (not appealing to some) and very bloodthirsty
DM 21 - 2nd best regular arena
DM 81 - An arena where no warriors are allowed to participate in tourneys and you must run all 5 warriors every turn) - Called a no-tourney arena

DM 83 - Slow version of no tourney arena
DM 20 - Slightly less active version of no tourney arena

Arenas to avoid (at first):
DM 71, 72, 73, 82, 84, 85 (These are tourney transfer arenas - Mostly tourney warriors. They have lots of teams, but they really aren't fun to play regular warriors with)
DM 18 (This might change, but until it does, it is a nasty place of tourney caliber warriors and prize modified warriors)

Tracking:
This is more a personal preference than anything else. People who still play use all sorts of methods:
A) No tracking (use minis and 'estimation' and Sandy)
B) Pencil and paper
C) Excel Sheets
D) Other personalized computer methods
E) Assur's Palm Pilot App (I think only I still use this, but 2 others have used it and liked it). Maybe some day I'll finish the Android version (HA)
Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One note about DM 83. There are several minors playing in there. Treat this place the opposite you would DM 33 (be nice in 83 vs let your juvenile self out in 33)
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome back!

The New and Returning Members forum on this website has some good stickies about basic fundamental stuff: http://www.reality.com/duel2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=35

I still track my warriors on the full overview with pencil. I use a computer all the time in other aspects of my life, but enjoy the paper and postal mail part of this game.

You may discover that many players are big spenders compared to 20 years ago, now that they are not just spending the money from their part-time high school job... But other players still run just an arena or two and get a lot of enjoyment that way.

You will find that the focus of many players is on tournaments now. The next one is coming up on April 4, a MI tourney. That doesn't mean that has to be YOUR focus, but be aware that many players view warrior design through the lens of "what can be successful in the next tourney".

Glad to have you back, and its great that you brought in a new player. Have fun!
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We will add a few thoughts …..

WELCOME BACK.

Ask RSI for the S.I.C. package which they will give, on request, to new and new-returning managers. There is much, much info there and it is on paper.

Check the arenas (all recent - and old, btw, newsletters are posted here on site) and you can get a "feel" of how active and the political sense of the arena. This is probably better than getting arena recommendations from managers.

Particularly read the DM93 newsletters as this arena is dedicated to newbies, and there are many spotlight tips and ideas. (Check out the last 10 or 12 old newsletters.

Good luck.

Kudos for also bringing a friend into this mighty game we all love.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Back.

If you haven't already check out the New and Returning Members thread. Tons of info in there.

Here is the link for any documents or files that you might need including spreadsheet for tracking warriors and BigR2 spreadsheet used for building new warriors.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_GugEukwTCWNTk5ZGQyODQtZDRhNy00ZDE1LThiNmUtNDkxMjg5Nzc5ZDNh

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You could come to DM-8 (Arkers). It is a slow arena and needs new players.

50 Blades of Grey DM-99
Miserable Men DM-99
Brony Cringe DM-99
paradox23
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks, that's some really helpful stuff!

Visionst01 wrote:
Welcome Back.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_GugEukwTCWNTk5ZGQyODQtZDRhNy00ZDE1LThiNmUtNDkxMjg5Nzc5ZDNh
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic