New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 1579

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Golfers....weigh in please
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Khisanth
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm looking to upgrade my $75 sports authority starter clubs. I stumbled onto this at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/NIKE-Machspeed-Stiff-Right-Handed-Steel/dp/B003CO5J3E/ref=br_lf_m_1000673341_1_1_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&pf_rd_p=1293353462&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&

Gold box deal today.

Are these worth it?

Thanks...
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Khisanth wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade my $75 sports authority starter clubs. I stumbled onto this at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/NIKE-Machspeed-Stiff-Right-Handed-Steel/dp/B003CO5J3E/ref=br_lf_m_1000673341_1_1_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&pf_rd_p=1293353462&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&

Gold box deal today.

Are these worth it?

Thanks...

They are very nice. If you are a beginner go with the Steel Shaft. Everyone will say go with Graphite, but if you are new to golf and swinging too hard still go with Steel until you start to slow down and become a better shot maker.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Khisanth wrote:

Gold box deal today.

Are these worth it?

Thanks...

$75 is cheap for this 8 piece iron set.

If you have the strength/speed to handle stiff steel (I need far more flex) - if you don't know the impact of the stiff, probably heavy steel, go to a shop and ask for a stiff/steel set of irons and compare them to your expectations and other more flexible shafts.

The style design is not the newest technology, which uses impact areas looking more like a wood head does (however, I prefer the old style irons)

Iron selection can be very personal.

Just be sure you can handle, will accept, like the feel of ... the stiff steel.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Khisanth
Master Poster
Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The new set is 375. My old set was 75$ Smile
Elephant
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A few things: Why are you wanting to upgrade? How long have you been playing? How often do you play / practice? What's your handicap? Have you ever taken lessons?

I'd probably demo those clubs and a few others and see what kind of difference you notice.

Lessons and playing/practicing multiple times a week should improve your game more than a set of clubs. Don't just work on driving. Working on short game will save you alot of strokes.
Elephant
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, proper fitting of clubs and shaft type is important as well. Find a golf pro who can watch you swing your clubs. Your height AND length of your arms is important for fitting. The pro should be able to give you an idea on proper length of your clubs as well as what type of flex and shaft you should use.

I'm a hack btw, but hopefully my mistakes / lessons will save you money, time and frustration. $375 might be a good sale price since original price was $800+ but, $375 is a lot to spend on clubs if they aren't the right fit/type for you.
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Khisanth wrote:
The new set is 375. My old set was 75$ Smile

Look far, far more seriously if you are thinking of spending 375 for the set. Make sue it is RIGHT. There are some fine, fine prices out there.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Caesar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Try TGW. And if you wait until the next holiday or special, almost everything (some manufacturers won't allow it) is discounted 10-15%. Web site is: www.tgw.com

You can also click the customize link and enter your height and grip info and get stuff fit to your build. This allows you to also select which irons you need. Not a lot of people hit long irons anymore, so for example, you may want to go 5-SW and buy a hybrid to replace the 4 iron. Or look at a hybrid/iron combo set like these Nike Slingshots:

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/14653/refScid/2260/sattr0/Gender/sattrVal0/mens

I've also used rockbottomgolf.com, discountgolfworld.com and budgetgolf.com to buy stuff. There are a lot of these sites, so shop around, look for online coupon codes in a separate search and you should be able to find a good deal.

Happy Hitting! I just played 36 holes over the past two days!
Caesar
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Khisanth wrote:

Gold box deal today.

Are these worth it?

Thanks...

Well? Did you buy these irons? New irons are always an exciting venture...
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Caesar wrote:
Khisanth wrote:

Gold box deal today.

Are these worth it?

Thanks...

Well? Did you buy these irons? New irons are always an exciting venture...

Yeah until you realize it's not the clubs that are the problem...

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic