New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 22264

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Team & Manager Background Info
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm placing this as a forum topic because I want to reach all the people involved as easily as possible. I am also using this format (vs a p.m. for every manager involved) because this gives me an opportunity to express my point of view AND get immediate feedback, perhaps even a consensus.

Basically, I would like to add some depth to the Shadowspire arena. I have written a few spotlights. I think just a few managers have written maybe one spotlight apiece in the past year or so. That's not a lot. I feel disconnected from the arena. That is to say, I don't feel like I have a good handle on the managers or their teams. Sure, with a name like Otto's Diner, and Spork, one has a rough mental image to work with. But what's the manager really like? What sort of folk go trooping through the bazaar in the central marketplace? Archaic Chaos requires its gladiators to be armed and armored at all times. Part of it is advertising. (I'm big on advertising, what can I say?) Cool Do the rest of you go around in silk Tommy Bahama shirts and cargo shorts?

I want to know more about the teams and managers so I can do a better job picturing it all in my head. Yes, this is mostly for me. Hey, I can't even pair more than a half-dozen managers with their respective teams! We have 32 teams in Shadowspire, and I don't know anything about 90% of them, much less who runs them! This is digging into my psyche a little. But, I think it would help all of us to enjoy the arena more if we knew more about our opponents. Challenging a member of Summerborn would mean more to me if I knew more about them, other than perhaps they were born in July. See what I mean? Wink

Soooo.... please, if you would, either write a spotlight about your team, or at least write a little blurb about it. How do you envision it? What about your managerial persona? What does he/she look like? How do they view things like training, kills and bloodfeuding, the growing cost of blacksmiths, etc. What about the rise in Shewish and Orcish off-spring? What sort of causes do the Philanthropists embrace? Save the kittens? Kill desires should always be 9+??

I've mentioned a few teams in my next spotlight. Cameo roles only. In passing. Nothing rude or detrimental to your egos, I swear. The Fuzzy Bunnies got about 4 or 5 sentences (by far the most of any other team in this spotlight) and I received feedback from their manager first. I'd like to write more about other teams, or have you guys write something. I want to feel like I know more about what's going on. It's a game, a fantasy game, but my imagination is having difficulty getting much enjoyment out of it lately. I feel like there are too many unknowns.

Share with the class, guys. What's your team like? What's your manager like? Email me, p.m. me, or post a reply here with a blurb. I am truly interested. Smile

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KidArcane wrote:
Share with the class, guys.

Such a teacher . . .

Should have a PM on the way.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
GreekGuy
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My guys are smart. Basically the exact opposite of their manager Smile
I'll try to write soon. Maybe that friday at the FTF when I have some down time.
The Greek Guy
mgr. Lurocian Scholars
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Feel free to ad lib and/or make Capital Cartel and Agent anything you want.

A Spot from us not likely in the near future. Besides, we have no idea who or what they are anyway! Rolling Eyes

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
Elephant
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Like the idea. What's your email address?
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Elephant wrote:
Like the idea. What's your email address?

arcanehavoc@aol.com

By way of example, and to enlarge upon whatever you imagine Archaic Chaos to be, I will offer my team's synopsis.

The Arcane Kid is an alien. (duh) His ship is the Outworlder. It's roughly the shape of a large cylinder, about 35-40 kilometers long and 3-5 kilometers in diameter, though this varies. Its shape is somewhat convoluted -- for a variety of reasons.

Whatever his true form (and motivation) the Arcane Kid always assumes the form of a young, slender, youth. Other than occasional displays of inhuman strength and speed, and his weird, glowing eyes, he appears most human, and adopts a somewhat effeminate and/or foppish manner. This is purposely deceptive. In practice he is ruthless and without remorse or conscious. While seeming somewhat disassociated with the humans around him, Arcane does have a code and he is reliable within this code's parameters (a few examples: A guest is never harmed; a deal is a deal; it's quite okay to kick, stab, or spear a man when he's down.) He seems to enjoy watching humans go through the various trials of their lives, but his view is one of privilege. He finds dirt, clutter, ineptness and bad manners to be completely unacceptable. Stupidity he will work with if he must. Obstinate or malicious behavior is a reasonable opportunity for violence. In this (and few other things) Havoc and the Kid see eye to eye.

The Outworlder came to this planet and, intrigued by the gladiatorial system and the many managerial personae, the Kid opted to begin a team in Jhelum -- Darkling Lords. Not a glorious start, but a beginning nonetheless. This team was transferred to Dragonhead, and Astral Kin was created to fill the void in Osksi. This team had the benefits of painful and costly experiences, and has generally done well.

During the Darkling Lord period in Jhelum Havoc was introduced. He was an associate of Baron D'Spayre, who went on to follow the Darkling Lords to Dragonhead. Havoc and the Baron were taken up offworld to Arcane's ship and, via his technology, physically altered -- "enhanced", in the Kid's words.

Havoc is a burly, thick-necked sort who retired from the arena after receiving near-fatal wounds in an encounter. He faked his Dark Arena death (as many warriors attempt to do) and came to be employed by Arcane as a gladiator trainer. Like the Kid, his strength is incredibly off-scale, given his size. He IS mortal, but can sustain enormous amounts of damage without permanent injury. He is pragmatic and as cautious about displaying his depth of comprehension and emotion as the Kid is about publicizing his super-human qualities.

Through a series of spotlights I've tried to show them as opposite sides of the same coin. They both want to win and they are both loyal to the team; however, their philosophies, tactics, and strategies differ dramatically.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Darque wrote:
KidArcane wrote:
Share with the class, guys.

Such a teacher . . .

Should have a PM on the way.

Got it; will incorporate this information in my next spotlight. Good job!

Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well if you go back to the old newsletters for 81, I wrote spots turns 2, 4, 15, and 19. That should give you a good idea of what i'm all about. It's all pretty goofy and juvenile, but I learned the game and had my mind warped by members of the FONZ when I first started. Those spots are like from 3 years ago and are full of inside jokes and TOGS references, so it might not make a lot of sense to you if you weren't around then. I think it's all hilarious, so all my future spots are pretty much gonna be the same style. Maybe some of the vets on here can clue you in on the FONZ and TOGS. Good times.

Pauly, mgr Ale House Mercs

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, manager info sent, team info to follow.

I hope this will add to the roleplaying side of the arena. I think these forums have taken away from PAs and spots(to a lesser extent).
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum