New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - No Tourney ADM Inaugural Turn
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bartender wrote:
OK, so this is a little bit off topic but I hope you're fine with my asking a little question about the rules of the arena.

When I first heard that there was going to be a non-tourney ADM arena, I first dismissed the whole concept. What's the point of running in ADM if you're not going to run in tourneys? Don't get me wrong. I play in 81 and I love it. But to me the problem with ADM is not tourney participation or hidden FE. ADM is different from basic as it is. You're not bound to running 5 warriors, the new warriors start with different FE, etc. Instead, it's the sandbagging that bothers me. I play regularily in 103 and there are warriors in that arena with 330+ visible FE. So, my question is simply, are there any rules regarding sandbagging in 107?

Sandbagging, if I have it correct, is a Tourney Prep strat so this being a Non-Tourney Arena that would make it a mute point. The rules I believe are pretty much the same as 81 except for the fight every warrior thing. No tourneys and no prize modifications. I am assuming there are not BFs in ADM since the whole "Dead" thing is taken care of with the Immortality thing, right? If I am correct, then there is no reason to require the running of every warrior every turn you fight. The only reason to sit out a warrior is money or lack of desire to fight them.

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't see warriors with large amounts of FE as being a problem, nor would I expect any additional rules to be added to the no tourney arena to prevent this (or anything else).
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bartender wrote:
OK, so this is a little bit off topic but I hope you're fine with my asking a little question about the rules of the arena.

When I first heard that there was going to be a non-tourney ADM arena, I first dismissed the whole concept. What's the point of running in ADM if you're not going to run in tourneys? Don't get me wrong. I play in 81 and I love it. But to me the problem with ADM is not tourney participation or hidden FE. ADM is different from basic as it is. You're not bound to running 5 warriors, the new warriors start with different FE, etc. Instead, it's the sandbagging that bothers me. I play regularily in 103 and there are warriors in that arena with 330+ visible FE. So, my question is simply, are there any rules regarding sandbagging in 107?

OAB summed it up. There is really nothing to regulate in that department, nor should there be. No Tournament fights and no prizes is as complicated as it needs to be.

Skill level, not FE is the determining factor in ADM and unlike Challengers, even the stat trains count against that total. I just don't foresee it becoming a problem--I can and often am wrong on such game trends, but I don't see it lessening my joy from the game cause the same option is open to me if I choose to use it.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Elephant
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well between my turn still not arriving, the newsletter not updating and a manager who is looking kill the spirit of the arena with loopholes, the novelty of the arena is starting to wear off. Can't say if I'll be in next turn or not. The latter is the main force driving me away.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Elephant wrote:
Well between my turn still not arriving, the newsletter not updating and a manager who is looking kill the spirit of the arena with loopholes, the novelty of the arena is starting to wear off. Can't say if I'll be in next turn or not. The latter is the main force driving me away.

I think late posting of the online newsletter on the opening day of the arena is not entirely unexpected (especially with the ladies being at GenCon) and misinterpretation of the rules is also fairly normal. I doubt any violation of the spirit of the arena will be allowed.

It seems a bit premature to be throwing in the towel.

Last edited by One Armed Bandit on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
So, my question is simply, are there any rules regarding sandbagging in 107?

Because learn rates and train rates can vary wildly in ADM, it's nearly impossible to guesstimate skills levels with FE in ADM anyway. If anything, sandbagging is a hindrance, because the line is skill based. Anyone "sandbagging" is generally worse than the top arena warriors, who are well over the tournament lines at any given time.
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just received 107 in the mail today. The arena is still called Lirin Kiv as of this moment, but I'm sure that will be rectified by next turn.

9 teams fought 32 warriors. Unfortunately, only 19 showed up in the rankings. This has been happening a bunch in other arenas, as well, warriors who have been inactive for an extended period of time are not appearing in the rankings. Hopefully this will get fixed, soon, too!

Despite the expected technical problems of starting a new arena, it appears to be robust turn, more warriors participating than most regional arenas.
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
I just received 107 in the mail today. The arena is still called Lirin Kiv as of this moment, but I'm sure that will be rectified by next turn.

9 teams fought 32 warriors. Unfortunately, only 19 showed up in the rankings. This has been happening a bunch in other arenas, as well, warriors who have been inactive for an extended period of time are not appearing in the rankings. Hopefully this will get fixed, soon, too!

Despite the expected technical problems of starting a new arena, it appears to be robust turn, more warriors participating than most regional arenas.

Yeah, lots of NL screw ups, but hopefully they will be taken care of next turn. Good turn out for the first turn and some people who had committed more warriors were missing, so perhaps an even better turn out next round. I'm contemplating sending a few more, maybe fight my original 5 from 81 (should have done it the first turn, that way I could say that I started turn 1 in 81 and turn 1 in Storm Rock--oh well too late now).

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Elephant
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Darque wrote:
Yeah, lots of NL screw ups, but hopefully they will be taken care of next turn. Good turn out for the first turn and some people who had committed more warriors were missing, so perhaps an even better turn out next round. I'm contemplating sending a few more, maybe fight my original 5 from 81 (should have done it the first turn, that way I could say that I started turn 1 in 81 and turn 1 in Storm Rock--oh well too late now).
Darque so you graduated all of your original 5? How many others have do that?
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Elephant wrote:
How many others have do that?

In 81 I graduated 4 of original 5. One was killed.

Didn't receive Home Guard or Storm Rock in mail. Sucks to be me.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Elephant wrote:
Darque so you graduated all of your original 5? How many others have do that?

In the no tourney arenas, no one but me. I'm not sure about regular arenas. The likelihood is greater there though with Dead Tournaments.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So, the newsletter still isn't posted. I know my results thanks to spoilers, but I still don't have my fights - on Tuesday. This is a normal speed arena, right?
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you refer to the other thread about late turns, apparently their mail meter went down while they were at GenCon, so they are just getting caught up now.

It seems strange that some of us got our DM-107 and some of us didn't, so I'm guessing it broke down right in the middle of mailing those out.
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I missed the first turn but just sent in all the strats for my guys for the 2nd turn.

Can we get a 107 Forum possibly?

Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The newsletter finally posted!

So for those of us who still haven't received our fights, we can at least see the messed up newsletter.

1-4 for me which was a bummer, but I really like the results of the one fight I did win!

And I like the idea of our own forum as well. At the very least we probably need to find somewhere other than "game cahnges" for this.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic