New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Favorite Weapon Verse Weapon Requirement Penalties
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

While filling out strategy sheets and reviewing the "Weapon Requirements" chart, I wondered how a warrior's Favorite Weapon is a Bonus when compared to the negative affect by not meeting the attribute requirements for the weapon.

Main question:
    Does the bonus of using your "Favorite weapon" outweigh the negative effect of not meeting the weapon's minimum requirements?
Example #1 -- Your SZ 3 warrior has a Long spear as his favorite weapon which has a size requirement of 9 (assuming the other attributes are acceptable ... ST 11, WT 5, DF 9).
    (a) What penalties would be incurred if he fought with the Long spear (SZ 9 req.)?
    (b) Would it be worth experimenting to determine how this works? Or is it so obvious, that a turn shouldn't be wasted?

Example #2 -- Your SZ 3 warrior has a Great Axe as his favorite weapon which has a size requirement of 5 (assuming the other attributes are acceptable ... ST 13, WT 9, DF 11).
    (a)What penalties would be incur if he fought with the Great Axe (SZ 5 req.)?
    (b) Would it be worth experimenting to determine how this works? Or is it so obvious, that a turn shouldn't be wasted?

Final question:
    Would example #1 involve a greater "penalty" than example #2 because the SZ requirement difference is 6 points versus 2?

Trim
--------------------------
Mgr of SOUND (15) in DM-35
FLOYD1
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There are no negatives for using your favorite weapon even if unsuited to it as far as I know.

As for your other questions ... I usually just stick to suited weapons until ADM when I find out my favorite. If I do use an unsuited weapon I usually only do so to use a SC or LO against heavy armors. My view is it isn't really that important to go through a whole list of unsuited weapons to find my hopeful favorite in basic.
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

FLOYD1 wrote:
There are no negatives for using your favorite weapon even if unsuited to it as far as I know.

As for your other questions ... My view is it isn't really that important to go through a whole list of unsuited weapons to find my hopeful favorite in basic.

I agree with the first part. I half-heartedly agree with the second. Of course, my win/loss isn't that great, but part of that is my ungovernable desire to tinker. I like to try different weapons, if my warrior is suited for them and they fit the style requirement. Once in a while you run into a barrage of critical attacks that tells you that you struck gold.

Otherwise, you just give everyone but a basher a scimitar. Cool Some guys are okay with that. Do what you feel like, but know this: rifling through a list of weapons WILL drop your win/loss.

Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KidArcane wrote:
FLOYD1 wrote:

As for your other questions ... My view is it isn't really that important to go through a whole list of unsuited weapons to find my hopeful favorite in basic.

I agree with the first part. I half-heartedly agree with the second. Of course, my win/loss isn't that great, but part of that is my ungovernable desire to tinker. I like to try different weapons, if my warrior is suited for them and they fit the style requirement. Once in a while you run into a barrage of critical attacks that tells you that you struck gold.

Otherwise, you just give everyone but a basher a scimitar. Cool Some guys are okay with that. Do what you feel like, but know this: rifling through a list of weapons WILL drop your win/loss.

I agree 100% with Floyd on this. Of course, this doesn't mean you can't have a variety of weapons. While it is generally agreed that the Scimitar is the best all around weapon there are several other good options.

With this in mind, I would suggest a shortened list to try based on style and weapon requirements. It can be frustrating trying a different weapon every fight and no real guarantee that you will find his favorite. It is pretty common to NOT find it, even if you have previously used the weapon and gets harder to find as your warrior's attack increases.

The great thing about this game is that everyone has an opinion and none are more right or wrong. All ideas have merit and can be successful so find what works best for you to maximize your enjoyment of the game.

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

FLOYD1 wrote:

This is exactly what I needed to know! My other questions were more "curiosity" ones, while this is what I wanted to know to fill out my strategy sheets. Thanks Floyd! Very Happy

KidArcane & Madwand -- I've always liked the scimitar! It does seem to be the best all weapon. However, I like to experiment with weapons too. I like the idea of a "short list" for experimenting. That seems the best way to find the "favorite" without risking too much. Appreciate the different ideas & opinions, they help me form my own. Thanks!

Trim
---------------------------------
Mgr of SOUND (15) in DM-35
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic