New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Feud History
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Adie
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sentinel wrote:
Sorry for the attitude snap, but I just get tired of the all yapping and the insults from Delarquan managers about Andorians all the time. Especially when most of the ones spouting off don't have any idea of the history behind it and didn't even play Duelmasters when the Delarquan arenas were dominant and when there was real acrimony between the regions. They're still living off of an old legacy and think it's fun and amusing to act superior and insulting when they have no reason to do so. It's annoying and it gets old. Every once in a while the irritation just bubbles over and I have to let off steam.

I've moved this from the Off-Topic section. I was curious if you and Dwayne and anyone else familiar with the politics, setting, and history of the times about 10 years ago could illuminate 'the history behind it'. I may have started playing back then, but the I did not attend a face for about 6 years and I had very little connection or insight into what was really going on in the DM world at the time. The most that I saw was seeing the Ivory League grow, then burn out as a meteor, and only experienced that vicariously through friends who'd joined it.

pipthetroll
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I'll give this here a shot, although most of you won't like hearing what I say. But the fued history as I remeber it.....

Once upon a time....

So originally, the delarqs were the hard core number crunchers, hence the "win at all cost mentality"; the andorians were the roleplayers, hence the "be nice and don't kill my guy I've been writing spotlights about for the last 20 turns"; and the freeblades were for those who didn't really put one over the other.

The delarqs ruled the tourneys(to be fair, they had a shitload more warriors, thier transfer arena hit the warrior10k bug while the others were in the 5k's), and the andorians were happy with thier little RPing. When the new wave of internet info and managers came in the late 80's/early 90's, most sent thier little godlings to andorian arenas; there was less chance of dying, and they were behind in the race to rule ADM(noone was even near maxxing, the fastest developing warrior was the top tourney winner). These are the same andorians you see today, because the original RPing andorians mostly moved to the lirith kai arenas, which were hailed as the "new" RP area of back in the day.

Now a little info on the ivory league. There was an employee who enjoyed running slashers and TCing over paying customers at the F2F's(she also enjoyed cheating, as I'll get to later). Now, as we all know, SL get bonuses for defending arms, so if you can make sure all your opponents are aiming arm or leg, your chances of winning go up. Now, if you make said SL with a 7 or 9 DFT, hes not gonna hit where he's aiming. So by aiming arms, you're gonna spray all over from the low deftness, and those scattered shots will mostly hit vitals. That way you can say, "sorry, aiming arm" in the personals, and people will view it as an accident. Of course, if you went 10KD HE, smoked some guy, and said the same thing, she'd look up your strat and call you a liar--if she had your email addy, she'd flame the hell out of you too. This employee gathered a few of the newer internet managers, and formed the IL. Together they were able to force managers to play a way that bonused her infinate amount of warriors(employees used to play for free, seemingly without limit). If you were aiming vitals in an andorian arena, the IL would know(after all, they had someone checking the strategies), and would jack you; it almost seemed like they knew your setup and strategy(duh), and your avoids didnt work so well vs them either for some reason.

It was during this time that andorians chucked thier own code of honor and started DCing people who killed. They'd also DC DCer's, and one DC could get your branded for life as a DCer, even an accidental one.

After a while, a few of the better IL managers realized they were being used and left(along with a decent amount of managers that quit the game due to said employees heavy handed tactics). One said a few things to the employee in question in the personals; she obviously didn't like what he said, because the next turn his tremendous carry-awesome endurance TP parried 3 shots and then dropped from exhaustion. Someone had gone into the warriors record and changed his endurance. After she was banned, the IL pretty much disbanded.

So to sum it up, freeblades don't and never have cared, delarqs care only about winning(although less in the arena now, since the top team doesn't play for free anymore), and andorians used to be RPers, then became hardcore internet managers using the RPers(this is when the modern day of andorian hypocracy started, the good old, "I fight with honor, unless I really want to beat you" 20 teams on 1 and you "need" to DC? I don't get it. Niether would the old timer andorians). Today I classify delarqs as one of two things 1) Guys who don't care, and are only there to win. 2) Loudmouth idiots, who'd like to win, but the only DM skill they excel at is stirring up shit(ala bookie, et al. Boooyaaah!!!! take that one bookie). Today I classify andorians as one of three things: 1) newbies who are afraid of thier guy dying. 2) Veteran newbies(been playing for years, but are too noobish to learn not to be noobs). 3) Guys who like beating up on newbies in order to stroke thier own egos. And freebladers still don't care.

So there you have it, your silly little fued exists because RPer's not wanting to die, followed by up and coming newer managers wanting to get godlings graduated, followed by a cheating employees desire to dominate the DM world. It continues because small minded people want to tell other people how to run their warriors and beat up on newbies.
Papaiz
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmmmm, I need to quit this game...
Kellumbo
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Papaiz wrote:
Hmmmmm, I need to quit this game...

But then it'd just be me and the stand ins in 26! Stick around a bit more. Things are just starting to get exciting. Laughing
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
If you were aiming vitals in an andorian arena, the IL would know(after all, they had someone checking the strategies), and would jack you;

You've got to me kidding me. Yes, the IL had huge mouths, but I never really got the impression that they were overly competent. To me, they were the Andorian Equivalent of the Frothingsloshers today.
Adie
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

pipthetroll wrote:
Well I'll give this here a shot, although most of you won't like hearing what I say. But the fued history as I remeber it.....

Once upon a time....

So originally, the delarqs were the hard core number crunchers, hence the "win at all cost mentality"; the andorians were the roleplayers, hence the "be nice and don't kill my guy I've been writing spotlights about for the last 20 turns"; and the freeblades were for those who didn't really put one over the other.

I guess that's still my basic Andorian style when I think about it. I just haven't had the time to write spots these days.

pipthetroll wrote:
The delarqs ruled the tourneys(to be fair, they had a shitload more warriors, thier transfer arena hit the warrior10k bug while the others were in the 5k's), and the andorians were happy with thier little RPing. When the new wave of internet info and managers came in the late 80's/early 90's, most sent thier little godlings to andorian arenas; there was less chance of dying, and they were behind in the race to rule ADM(noone was even near maxxing, the fastest developing warrior was the top tourney winner). These are the same andorians you see today, because the original RPing andorians mostly moved to the lirith kai arenas, which were hailed as the "new" RP area of back in the day.

I must have came in when the new Andorians started to try to make their godlings and catch up. I remember all the hub-bub about godlings and trying to not allow them to get killed, etc. Hmm... the Andorians that I mostly gamed with didn't move to LK at all. We missed that boat...

pipthetroll wrote:
Now a little info on the ivory league. There was an employee who enjoyed running slashers and TCing over paying customers at the F2F's(she also enjoyed cheating, as I'll get to later). Now, as we all know, SL get bonuses for defending arms, so if you can make sure all your opponents are aiming arm or leg, your chances of winning go up. Now, if you make said SL with a 7 or 9 DFT, hes not gonna hit where he's aiming. So by aiming arms, you're gonna spray all over from the low deftness, and those scattered shots will mostly hit vitals. That way you can say, "sorry, aiming arm" in the personals, and people will view it as an accident. Of course, if you went 10KD HE, smoked some guy, and said the same thing, she'd look up your strat and call you a liar--if she had your email addy, she'd flame the hell out of you too. This employee gathered a few of the newer internet managers, and formed the IL. Together they were able to force managers to play a way that bonused her infinate amount of warriors(employees used to play for free, seemingly without limit). If you were aiming vitals in an andorian arena, the IL would know(after all, they had someone checking the strategies), and would jack you; it almost seemed like they knew your setup and strategy(duh), and your avoids didnt work so well vs them either for some reason.

I'd heard about the behind the scenes fidgeting, but not that bad. I'll assume you got it from a reliable source...

pipthetroll wrote:
It was during this time that andorians chucked thier own code of honor and started DCing people who killed. They'd also DC DCer's, and one DC could get your branded for life as a DCer, even an accidental one.

Sounds like some of todays Andorians. Of course they have legitimate justifications, but they get branded for it understandably.

pipthetroll wrote:
After a while, a few of the better IL managers realized they were being used and left(along with a decent amount of managers that quit the game due to said employees heavy handed tactics). One said a few things to the employee in question in the personals; she obviously didn't like what he said, because the next turn his tremendous carry-awesome endurance TP parried 3 shots and then dropped from exhaustion. Someone had gone into the warriors record and changed his endurance. After she was banned, the IL pretty much disbanded.

Ah ha... I know this! Some of it went down in Aruak (being limited to one arena kinda keeps you in the dark in the old days).

pipthetroll wrote:
Today I classify delarqs as one of two things 1) Guys who don't care, and are only there to win.

Seen lots of that.

pipthetroll wrote:
2) Loudmouth idiots, who'd like to win, but the only DM skill they excel at is stirring up shit(ala bookie, et al. Boooyaaah!!!! take that one bookie).

LMAO!! Laughing

I've seen lots of them too, especially recently in 11.

pipthetroll wrote:
Today I classify andorians as one of three things: 1) newbies who are afraid of thier guy dying. 2) Veteran newbies(been playing for years, but are too noobish to learn not to be noobs). 3) Guys who like beating up on newbies in order to stroke thier own egos.

4) Veterans who still like to RP (when they can), who dislike their guys dying, dislike and avoid DCs, and invite similar minded newbies and veterans to their arena.

Me.

pipthetroll wrote:
So there you have it, your silly little fued exists because RPer's not wanting to die, followed by up and coming newer managers wanting to get godlings graduated, followed by a cheating employees desire to dominate the DM world. It continues because small minded people want to tell other people how to run their warriors and beat up on newbies.

Well that sucks. I'm glad I'm not descended from that. I'll let you know when I find those who like to beat on newbies.

Think positive! Very Happy

Lord_Xiang
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

pipthetroll wrote:
Today I classify delarqs as one of two things 1) Guys who don't care, and are only there to win. 2) Loudmouth idiots, who'd like to win, but the only DM skill they excel at is stirring up shit(ala bookie, et al. Boooyaaah!!!! take that one bookie).

3) RPers (like me) that like to win AND have fun poking and prodding Andorians, and being poked and prodded in return.

IMO, if you can't take it, don't dish it. I love to stir things up, granted, but I keep it in the context of the game, ala roleplay. I truly get bored from no personals, so do my best to bring them out. Even at the expense of my own warrior's pride.

I'm also hanging with a few like-minded Delarquan managers, so don't be surprised if one of us makes a stop in an Andorian arena near you!

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Rillion
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lord_Xiang wrote:
I'm also hanging with a few like-minded Delarquan managers, so don't be surprised if one of us makes a stop in an Andorian arena near you!

If you are Delarquan, why would you keep going to Andorian arenas? The only point in that seems to be stirring crap up.
Lord_Xiang
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Rillion wrote:
Lord_Xiang wrote:

If you are Delarquan, why would you keep going to Andorian arenas? The only point in that seems to be stirring crap up.

Well, depends on what you call 'stirring crap up.' I would research my style before making comments about how or why I visit Andorian arenas. The Consortium and Tankesh would be the references I point you to. Do I like to have fun, and see lots of roleplaying personals? You bet! Will I poke fun at folks? Yup! Do I throw hissy fits and start downchallenging if I loose a challenge? Not hardly.

As a brief history on myself, I started in an Andorian arena (Lyratilan DM-25) and was into the Lirith Kai regional roleplay bit when it first took off, attending AndCon '93 for Lin Tirian's (DM-78 ) inaugural tourney. I'm in Aruak City (DM-11) to prove that Delarquan managers can win using Andorian strategies (as the concept), but mostly because I was asked to come to play there by The Consortium. I contribute to the personal ads, and am having a grand time with a winning record (currently). As long as I abide by 'the Andorian code of conduct,' which I have promised to do, what matters my alliegence?

Ever wonder why some Andorians want Delarquans to leave? Is it because they fear for their records? Or like having vanilla turns?

Ever wonder why most Delarquans don't care if Andorians come to visit their arenas? More competition!

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Rillion
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I didn't accuse you of being any of those things you say you are not. You seem very defensive over a simple question. You just seem to be very much a "flag waving" Delarq, yet at the same time tell everyone not to be surprised when you show up in their Andorian arena. To me that almost seems like you prefer going to Andorian arenas rather then Delarq arenas.

I guess that was the point of my question, if you and your like minded managers are such Delarqs, then why fight in so many Andorian arenas? (Besides Aruak where you were invited and also where their was the big invasion bruhaha).

For example, I consider myself a free blader but right now I'm in several non-free blade arenas and without exception, the only reason I'm in any of them is for a contest. The only non-contest arenas I'm in right now are 32, Arvat, and 82 (which doesn't have any affiliation).
Lord_Xiang
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mea Culpa. I misinterpreted your comments. Please forgive the error, which was fully mine.

I play mostly in Delarquan arenas (as that is where I am most comfortable), Mordant being my home. I have too many teams to play consistantly (42, I believe, at last count), and they are spread over hill and dale, no affiliation being in the majority (mostly from my years playing Andorian/Lirith Kai arenas). I activate teams as the whim hits me, irregardless of arena affiliation. I have Lord/Lady Protectors from every region, including a lone Free Blader, orphaned by the arena closings. Crying or Very sad

LocoInArizona
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Rillion wrote:
I guess that was the point of my question, if you and your like minded managers are such Delarqs, then why fight in so many Andorian arenas? (Besides Aruak where you were invited and also where their was the big invasion bruhaha).

Well, except for the holidays, I've been consistant in Tobir, where the alleged 'invasion' is supposed to take place sometime in the early quarter of 2006.

...at least I hope it's still planned to go on...

Should be fun if it does go down, but if not, it will be fun to graduate a few favorite warriors...

Member of Amicitia Primoris

Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lord_Xiang wrote:
Rillion wrote:
Lord_Xiang wrote:

Well, depends on what you call 'stirring crap up.' I would research my style before making comments about how or why I visit Andorian arenas. The Consortium and Tankesh would be the references I point you to. Do I like to have fun, and see lots of roleplaying personals? You bet! Will I poke fun at folks? Yup! Do I throw hissy fits and start downchallenging if I loose a challenge? Not hardly.

As a brief history on myself, I started in an Andorian arena (Lyratilan DM-25) and was into the Lirith Kai regional roleplay bit when it first took off, attending AndCon '93 for Lin Tirian's (DM-78 ) inaugural tourney. I'm in Aruak City (DM-11) to prove that Delarquan managers can win using Andorian strategies (as the concept), but mostly because I was asked to come to play there by The Consortium. I contribute to the personal ads, and am having a grand time with a winning record (currently). As long as I abide by 'the Andorian code of conduct,' which I have promised to do, what matters my alliegence?

Ever wonder why some Andorians want Delarquans to leave? Is it because they fear for their records? Or like having vanilla turns?

Ever wonder why most Delarquans don't care if Andorians come to visit their arenas? More competition!

Can only add that Lord Xiang has been a great contribution to Aruak City. Glad to people like him, no matter what the denomination. Health. Humility. Honor.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
RTR
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

with some of the "old" time managers returning, what are some "great" rivalries in Andorian arenas? In all other regions?

"When you cross me, you cross my entire heritage. And my ancestors were unstoppable tyrants of the City of Brass."
Adie
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

RTR wrote:
with some of the "old" time managers returning, what are some "great" rivalries in Andorian arenas? In all other regions?

Current, or any time? I've only run in one arena full time for an extended period. The closest thing to a 'rivalry' that I could claim would be my continual attempt to collect more Consortium 'tufts' than they collect from me. I think the Consortium can verify (I don't really keep track) that I have routinely got the better of them, on average, in Aruak City. Basically, I'm used to scum hunting. But it's a very friendly competitive rivalry.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic