New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - The Dark Arena novel's publisher is closing their doors
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grimwood
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hail fellow managers,

I’ve been informed by the publisher of Dark Arena, the novel set in the Duel2 world, is closing their doors. The publisher notified me there are 29 hard copies left of the novel available for purchase through www.amazon.com, www.Barnesandnoble.com, and www.trebleheartbooks.com. No additional copies will be printed once the inventory is depleted. In addition the e-books will also no longer be available once the publisher’s doors are closed.

I thoroughly enjoyed writing the novel and from the reviews on Amazon and from reader’s e-mails who read it, I indeed captured the world of Duel2. One of my goals in writing the novel was to have retired managers reminisce about the game and come back. So, in that spirit, if you enjoy Duel2, know a retired manager or someone who just enjoys fantasy novels, I recommend purchasing a copy.

I also invite fellow managers who did read it to comment in the forum about their thoughts.

I’m now submitting the next completed novel set in the Duel2 reality to new publishers for publication.

I finally wanted to thank the RSI staff for letting me play in their sandbox when writing Dark Arena and all of the reader’s feedback on the novel. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments in the e-mails sent to me.

Grimwood
AKA Mark G. Manley
Author Dark Arena
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

CRAP! My credit card company screwed up and I still can't use my credit card. I really wanted that novel. Mad
Grimwood
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Longshot,

It'll probably be a month before the publisher's doors are closed, so hopefully the credit card company can get your issues resolved. I'd really like to know your thoughts on the novel.

Grimwood
AKA Mark G. Manley
trmweb
Expert Poster
Expert Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Grimwood,

Wonderful story and highly recommend it!

As you know, I really enjoyed the Duel2 elements. It was masterful how you added them as story enhancers without looking like a RSI recruiter. In particular, I enjoyed your creative way of determine attributes and skills. It made me want to try some of the drills. However, I might not have done so well with the "rock throwing"! I guess I'm only average strength.

I'm curious if your "closing door" publisher will allow you to re-market your original book with the new publisher. I know this is sometimes a "sticky" issue, but it would be great! Wish you the best for a quick and enriching process with the new publisher.

I'm looking forward to reading your continuing stories in the World of Alastari.

Trim, Mgr of SOUND Stable in Murska (DM-35)
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Grimwood wrote:
Hi Longshot,

It'll probably be a month before the publisher's doors are closed, so hopefully the credit card company can get your issues resolved. I'd really like to know your thoughts on the novel.

Grimwood
AKA Mark G. Manley

I wanted to read it to get an understanding of your writing style. I want to do a novel with you. Cool
Grimwood
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Longshot,

I’m very flattered. My suggestion would be to start writing short stories about things that interest you. Have friends read it and provide feedback. Continue to write and get into the habit of writing. Then find people who will give you honest feedback and continue to hone your skills. Find writing seminars, attend them, make contacts, and meet other people who enjoy the craft. Read books that interest you not only for enjoyment, but to study their structures.

Above all, ensure that you enjoy the craft, as writing a novel is easy compared to getting it published.

Take care,

Grimwood
AKA Mark G. Manley
Flagg
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Grim,

Just picked up a copy on my Nook. At my current reading pace, I might have it done by 2037... maybe. Thanks for writing a book in our little world and I hope you continue to do so!

Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got 2, going to give one to a friend who hasnt played in a while... Smile

KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bought the paperback a week ago. Spring Break next week; good opportunity to sit down and read something that I want to read (for a change). Looking forward to it. Cool

Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Flagg, Stillgard, and KidArcane,

Thank you for the posts. I’m very interested in hearing thoughts on the novel from fellow managers. Feel free to send me an e-mail at markgmanley@hotmail.com when you are done.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Grimwood
AKA Mark G. Manley
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Grimwood wrote:
Hi Longshot,

I’m very flattered. My suggestion would be to start writing short stories about things that interest you. Have friends read it and provide feedback. Continue to write and get into the habit of writing. Then find people who will give you honest feedback and continue to hone your skills. Find writing seminars, attend them, make contacts, and meet other people who enjoy the craft. Read books that interest you not only for enjoyment, but to study their structures.

Above all, ensure that you enjoy the craft, as writing a novel is easy compared to getting it published.

Take care,

Grimwood
AKA Mark G. Manley

I have over 64 short stories published in Asia. I also have articles and reviews printed in English news papers in Asia.

There are currently short stories printed in:
DM-8: Turn 357, 358, and 359
DM-11: 719
DM-28: 354,355, and 356

You are right. The trick is getting published here.
Grimwood
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Longshot,

I'm unsure if my message was sent to you, so just in case I'll post it here.

Dark Arena has approximately 88,000 words. The final version was in a .PDF format with the artwork and it didn't have a word count feature. As an FYI, the novel once had over 100,000+ words, but the editor took a battle axe to the manuscript and cut out large pieces the didn't believe were necessary.

I'm glad to hear the novel arrived. I'd like to know a fellow manager's thoughts when you've read it. My e-mail address is markgmanley@hotmail.com.

Enjoy!
Grimwood
AKA Mark G. Manley
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic