New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Play Ball!!
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Street_Legal wrote:
It was good to see JV welcome the Twins to the 2013 season in FINE fashion! Apologies to Nomad and Stikkie early on for winning the division again this year.... maybe y'all can win the wild card!

Isn't it a shame that I didn't see this thread until after game TWO of the season? Sure the Tigers are expected to be the class of the division - but they have no closer. So what happens in game two? Eduardo Escobar hits a two run double in the ninth and the Twins win! It is a good day to be a Twins fan! When your closer can't get Eduardo Escobar, known power threat that he is, out, you know you have issues. Perhaps Phil Coke is not your answer at closer?

It is good to be a Twins fan!
At least for one day.

Now, about those Astros.
They will NOT lose 120 games.

No, I am not saying they are a good team.
They are terrible. I would be amazed if they don't lose 100.
But they won't lose 120.

They are actually a much better squad than the 2003 Tigers that lost 119. These Astros have a few legitimate major leaguers.

Again, I'm not saying they are good. They are bad.
Just not 120 "Holy crap this is the worst team ever!" bad.
Those 2003 Tigers would be looking up to this squad.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I suffered through that season something fierce! But you know what? That season got us Justin Verlander so I'll forgive and forget! Interesting Note: Bleacherreport has San Diego's pick of Matt Bush SS(.219 lifetime Minor League Avg. never played in the majors) out of High School as the worst first round pick EVER; not first overall only but rather worst first round ever. I found tis by trying to figure out how San Diego picked 1st and Detroit 2nd after that infamed 43-119 year. Still wondering how as I could find no answer online .... anybody? Buehler?

Never fear the "Big Potato" is here! Laughing Well in the minors for now. We didn't want him, nobody else wanted him ..... guess what .... we want him! Rolling Eyes

I was kind of amazed that they let Coke have a shot at the position first. All the talk has been that Benoit has the type of stuff that a closer needs it was just a question if he had the mentality to forget about a loss and come back the next day. Which every closer, even the best, have to be prepared for. I guess The "Wizard of Woodward" (Jim Leyland, Comerica is on Woodward Ave.) figured we have a good 8th Inning guy let's leave him there rather than trying to fill 2 positions with new guys to the role.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I believe the answer to your "How'd SD get the first pick" question is that until a few years ago, AL and NL teams went back and forth in the draft. The #1 overall pick went to the NL one year, the AL the next. Then back to the NL. The Bush year was an NL year. SD was the worst team in the NL that year. But having the top pick obviously doesn't always mean you take the right player.

(It no longer works this way - as of the last collective bargaining agreement, I believe.)

And as for the Det. closer - I'd be inclined to give the job to Al Albuquerque. He has the stuff. I really think signing Valverde was a bad idea. But I guess Plan A didn't work so well, for one game anyway.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There is another option as well in the rookie, who was a final day cut, Bruce Rondon who is a 1.5 k/inning guy. His big issue was base runners in spring training. Something like 12.1 IP 7 BB 19 k 19 Hits.

Thanks I don't think I have ever followed the MLB draft so the info makes sense to me; as much as anything in the Selig era makes sense anymore.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So anyone hear that Coca Cola Corp is going to change it's slogan to: Have a Coke .... and a Home Run?

His pitching may actually drive me to drink Pepsi for the first time in 25 years!

Thomas Jefferson
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Watching a guy who may eventually be spoken about as one of the greatest players ever, someday! Yanks-Tigers and it ain't A-Roid! MIGGY!

Facing the GREATEST Closer EVER with 2 out and a man on down by 2. He eventually takes it to a 2-2 count and manages to foul 2 balls off the same leg, the first off the knee that brought the trainer out with Leyland. A VERY noticeable limp, not to mention a hip flexor in the same lead (left) leg and an abdominal strain (he's barely able to run the last 2 weeks).

What does he do? He takes Mariano deep into straight-away Centerfield for a 2-run Homer! The Tigers have a 12 game winning streak, can they make it 13 tonight(?), and have won 16 of their last 17! Including sweeping the 2nd place Indians in a 4 game set to take the division lead from 3 to 7 games!

Looks like we have possibly the best Starting Pitchers in the game this year(at least 1 thru 4: Verlander ,Scherzer, Fister, Sanchez and fifth is Porcello) then you have to talk about having the highest scoring offense in the game. The only team with more runs scored, either league, is Boston 591 to 582 but Boston has played 117 games and the Tigers 113 games. Highest Batting Average in the game by a fairly wide margin Tigers-.279 Saint Louis-.274! The seventh lowest ERA in the "Bigs", 2nd in the AL to only KC at 3.54 Detroit at 3.56! We just picked up a nice reliever in Veras, we struggle at closer but Benoit is now doing well, and a great young SS in Iglesias (an insurance move for Peralta's suspension made just a few days prior to the announcement, he should be back with 2 to 3 games left in the season)! Not to mention our real 2B hasn't played since getting injured in a game July 3rd (Omar Infante is hitting .309, 6 HR 27 RBI in 291 AB).

Thomas Jefferson
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic