New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Turn 172
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:38 am Reply with quoteBack to top

5-0! So 9-1 on my return so far. No kills but I will take it!

I didn't get team on the move though, someone got 70 something points with 3 wins! Crazy talk.

Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

4-1 for the Longbeards, with the loss being in the DA.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
LePentarque
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

3-2... anyone with 2-3 ? Smile
Stillgard
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

2-3 here, with one DA. I need to get into challenge mode!

Terminator
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

2-3 for the Warmasters, but I still consider that a successful turn due to 2 of those losses coming from the DA. I know many would criticize my decision to DA Tremerus who was a very solid scum design, but honestly I just got bored running him and couldn't stand the thought of running him for another 40-45 turns to reach graduation. Hopefully the 2 new RU's will be good ones to inject some new life into the squad.

Just for kicks, Tremerus's stats were 13(2)-20(2)-14-5(2)-21(2)-3-17(1). Tremendous Endo/Great Damage. Unfortunately he just didn't want to learn at all and simply refused to swing...EVER. Reading his fights bored me to tears and I finally decided to end the misery. In the long run, it will likely hurt my w/l %, but I think I will garner much more enjoyment from the game with a different warrior. How managers find the patience to run scum for 50+ turns is beyond me. I just can't do it.

Vanek, Manager of the Warmasters (DM-81)
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Terminator wrote:
How managers find the patience to run scum for 50+ turns is beyond me. I just can't do it.

Wow. Terminator and I agree on something!! Laughing I have never had the patience, the perseverance, nor the dogged determination to win "no matter what" --- all of which is required if one is to keep a scum in one's stable. I'd rather run a scum Basher or P-Strike! I'd rather have an A-Blow or Slasher that runs 2-3 minute fights that are full of action, even if they barely earn a 50% win/loss.

We have too many scum in Shadowspire; it's getting out of hand. My personal goal is to beat every one of them. I've beaten two with my P-Strike and Slasher, and Blue Nova ALMOST beat Lady Godiva! In fact, if I had prepped for a TP scum, I'm confident Big Blue would have taken her down. Maybe next turn? Wink

In any case, it was a 2-3 for Search the Sky, but another free fight, for which I'm grateful. I noticed that the skills have been very scarce lately, which is irritating. I've got two fighters with 21 wit that haven't been learning more than one or two skills per fight lately, and that ain't good. But there are new teams to raise the competitive bar in Shadowspire, and that's always a welcome event! Smile

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KidArcane wrote:
Terminator wrote:
How managers find the patience to run scum for 50+ turns is beyond me. I just can't do it.

Wow. Terminator and I agree on something!! Laughing I have never had the patience, the perseverance, nor the dogged determination to win "no matter what" --- all of which is required if one is to keep a scum in one's stable. I'd rather run a scum Basher or P-Strike! I'd rather have an A-Blow or Slasher that runs 2-3 minute fights that are full of action, even if they barely earn a 50% win/loss.
Smile

The fight that really bores me is the one swing fight. If I win I guess it is ok, but it is still pretty boring. One swing? What a waste of time.

Defense is just another aspect of the game. Still, a true scum isn't exciting. I much prefer someone who can parry a bit and then still swing back. So while I have run scum (Ironhead, for example) I am just as likely to take that scum ru and make a brick piker who just might swing back (Cazador, for example.) But I don't hate scum. Boring comes in many forms. Give me the warrior who can play both offense and defense and I'm happy.

As for the turn: 2-2. Missing one warrior as I was out of town and just got Ironhead's replacement a couple of days ago. The Guild should be back at 5 for next turn.
It is nice to see Syftar Traff fend off one of Darque's challenges and get back to .500. That was a long time coming.

Dragonbane Guild(81)
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KidArcane wrote:

Quit the whinin' both of ya! Laughing

Scum win and that is the long and short of it. If I'm not playing to win, why am I playing? As Nomad points out, one swing fights are pretty boring too, so maybe we should do something about all the Strikers in Shadowspire. Oh wait, that is why the scum are there!

Lady Godiva is a bit offended that you would call her scum too. She has already maxxed out 2 of her relevant skills areas and hasn't burned a single skill through stat training. She can certainly take a hit and give one too. If she chooses to win a fight here and there through sheer force of will (and hit points), who am I to complain?

Kid Arcane -- I could challenge you again, but then that would not be very advantageous for me. You may get a challenge, but probably not from Lady Godiva. Remember the old proverb, any manager that finds himself in a fair fight is a poor tactician.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Terminator wrote:
In the long run, it will likely hurt my w/l %, but I think I will garner much more enjoyment from the game with a different warrior. How managers find the patience to run scum for 50+ turns is beyond me. I just can't do it.

You answered your own question. Sometimes you have to look at the whole forest and not a single tree.

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
KidArcane
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Darque wrote:
Scum win and that is the long and short of it. If I'm not playing to win, why am I playing? ....maybe we should do something about all the Strikers in Shadowspire. Oh wait, that is why the scum are there! Lady Godiva is a bit offended.... She can certainly take a hit and give one too.

Hhhmmmm. Three points of... what? Contention? Retort? Confused I don't know what I'm feeling right now, but I know I can't just let that pass.

a) Yeah, winning is fun, but it can't be my overriding motivation, or it would quickly be boring. This is just a play-by-mail game, not life. Play to have fun; enjoy the 'ambiance'. This is my perspective. I have enough planning pressures and scheming going around me all day without courting more of it. That sort of mindset wearies my soul. Being free to play any way I wish is part of the enjoyment I get from D-2. If I had to scheme and plot out every turn, I wouldn't play --- it'd be too much like work. Of course, I realize that challenges/avoids are a big part of the strategy of this game, and some people --- well, they're adept at that sort of thinking; it comes naturally to them. (C'est la vie.) Personally, I rarely give it much thought; sometimes I leave the 'avoid' and 'challenge' lines blank just because it's not worth the effort (to me) to look up every fighter and calculate my odds. A good fighter will make it to the DM throne eventually, and that's all I'm looking for here.

b) You're correct; there are many, perhaps TOO many, Strikers AND scum in the Shadowspire arena. Managers are shying away from making much of a variety of styles, particularly Aimed-Blows (waiting for the 'perfect' rollup Rolling Eyes ) or P-Strikes (boo hoo, their modes are too low Crying or Very sad ), which is a pity, as either style makes a good anti-scum fighter. (Oh wait; I have one of each on my team! Twisted Evil ) The only reason there so many Pikers in Shadowspire is the Round Robin competition. Interesting that so many managers waited until the end of their run before starting a P-Strike. It is a tough style to win with, I guess.

c) Lady Godiva IS the Duelmaster -- for now. But, she almost lost her last fight. Blue Nova passed out on the sands, but Godiva limped and bled all the way back to her dugout. As I said, if I had anticipated fighting a scum, the outcome would definitely have been different, even if it was a Striker vs Scum. Don't avoid me next turn; I'll make the effort to double-challenge for the throne and prove it to you. Cool

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I actually run a huge range of styles both in tourney play and in arena.

This was my last ps here in shadowspire: 9(2)-13-9-17-17-4-17

23 FE and dead :-(

Just for chits and giggles here are the graduates I have had here with base stats:

TP - Grath - 7-16-6-15-17-12-11 *super offensive*
TP - Archon - 19-14-8-5-16-9-13
BA - Liath - 13-6-18-17-17-4-9
WS - Arioch - 15-17-11-9-16-5-11
AB - Zevran - 10-5-8-11-17-12-21
AB - Dexter - 7-9-11-11-21-4-21
LU - Dominatrix - 11-9-5-21-17-14-7
PR - Shaviola - 10-13-5-17-17-5-17

Otto_X
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ugly 1-4 for the Diner, including a loss on my own Bloodfeud. That's what I get for being a nice guy and not using the top guy in my stable. Of course now he'll probably lose too.

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tripwire wrote:

23 FE and dead Sad

Just for chits and giggles here are the graduates I have had here with base stats:

Did Dominatrix suffer from little damage?
Darque
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KidArcane wrote:

c) Lady Godiva IS the Duelmaster -- for now. But, she almost lost her last fight. Blue Nova passed out on the sands, but Godiva limped and bled all the way back to her dugout. As I said, if I had anticipated fighting a scum, the outcome would definitely have been different, even if it was a Striker vs Scum. Don't avoid me next turn; I'll make the effort to double-challenge for the throne and prove it to you. Cool

All your retort consisted of was a long list of personal preferences. Some of us prefer to win, some of us prefer to strategize, etc. If you are preaching variety then you are preaching to the choir because I run every style on my teams round robin or not.

As to the fight, once again strategy wins the day. If I had thought you were anticipating my challenge I would not have made it. What is the logic of stepping into the mouth of a hungry lion, you already know the end result?

Darque Knights -- 10, 20
Darque Forces -- 45, 47
Darque Ages -- 81
Sorcerer Kings -- 83
Tripwire
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nomad wrote:
Tripwire wrote:

23 FE and dead :-(

Did Dominatrix suffer from little damage?

She started little and after 1 bump to STR got normal.

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum