New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104549

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - We lost a friend here - Otto X Frothingslosh
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do hope I'm not overstepping my bounds but I know not everybody is on Chatzy.

It appears it happened unexpectedly on September 17th.

I don't think the man had an enemy in this community of ours - at least outside of game play! I had LOTS of private discussions with him over the last few years, as we were both on Chatzy daily, and I hadn't a clue he had any serious health problems.

I had been away from Chatzy for a few months and got this nagging "twinge" inside that I'd just like to check on our community and see if we were all still well. Was going to go on last Saturday but blew it off. Then I go on yesterday and this news hit me pretty damn hard!

I can't think of anything poignant to say, still processing, but I can say -
"Mr Erik Johnson will always occupy a space in my mind and heart and I regret never getting to a FtF to meet him! RIP brother!

Please feel free to post some memory of him so we can all build an insight, through sharing, exactly who he was.....
And so he'll never be forgotten with our memories shared here he can live on in this space as well as in our hearts and minds!
Stik
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't have any particular stories, never met him, but I know he will be missed. Sucks that the game and WE are getting so old that we're losing players like this. R.I.P.

Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Your sentiments are pretty close to mine - although we talked A LOT in Chatzy in open chat or private messages. Never met him though. I feel especially bummed out because, as he'd try to get me to show at a FtF. He'd say, "Man You've been through much and the best are some of your trolls," I just have to see if it's mostly personna and to be sure you're real!"

About mid-2018 when I was, as per usual, trying to get the facevto Detroit. He commented that he knew it was the 2nd biggest airport in the world but had no idea how big it would be. I chastized him for not letting me know he had like an hour or two hour layover in Detroit. I told him I'd definitely woulda bought lunch and put a face to the name. He's like Free Lunch?! If I knew that I would've let you know. So he said he'd for sure to let me know on Chatzy and D2 site

Also I had been off chatzy a few months and figured should check in, but mainly, with Delta was hoping all was well. It wasn't Covid but if someone who knew him more personally knows what it was they can decide what they know... If they felt it would be appropriate to share. I just heard a few possibities.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Forgot something as that last post droned on. Once they announced Cincinnati as the site it was as close to Detroit as it would get without it being here. I asked if he was going and he said 98% chance no he wouldn't. Said he had a lot of stuff to catch up on.

Then he upped the game one step. He said it would be a good deal closer to 50/50 - really had stuff to catch up on but if I was going to go he'd reconsider but he needed to know so if HE would have time to come he could make his travel arrangements..... Then it was just small talk. It seemed pretty positive he wouldn't have gone anyways but leaves me with that nagging - "Wish we had both decided to show up because I heard what a hilarious personality he was and to be able to have the whole "ball of wax" and put faces to everyone but especially as he spent a good 10 years trying to get me to a face!

RIP Erik (Otto X)
The Consortium
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: on the golf course, in the garden, reading, traveling, and now Consulting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Eric was a fine and funny guy. We interacted at FTFs and in the olden days, when we had team grudge matches, he often played with us on the team. He would often surprise with his wit and humor.

Like many above, I did not know of his physical issues. It was a surprise to lose him. He will be missed. R.I.P. Eric.

P.S. It has been a rough year for our gaming community, losing Joe (Papa Bear) and now Erik, both to cancer.

The Consortium: Crapmaster 2013, Crapgiver 2014; 1213 ADM graduates (40+ manager IDs) including 176K+ fights and 118K+ wins plus 4 teams with 1500+ wins (Animal Farm DM11 @2085; Bulldogs DM11 @ 1976; Lenpros DM30 @ 1792; Fandils DM46 @1727
TUM
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

He was funny in a graciously self-effacing manner. At one FTF he brought me some '4-Letter' names. Loved them and used them. He was smart and charming, and I'll miss him.
GreekGuy
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Man I spent many a ftf back in the day with Erik. While he wasn't a BOB member we hung out many times. He was a funny guy and a great guy to hang with. Usually hung out with him on Thursday arrival days when a few of us crazy ones would get there super early. I hate that I haven't been to a ftf in so long and haven't really talked to him except a few times on chatzy. I'm not around as much as i would like but made some great friends here. This just reminds me I need to make more of an effort to talk to all my dm friends before one day its too late . Prayers for his family.
Street_Legal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Having been a while since I was in contact with anyone I had not heard Papa Bear had passed recently. I never met, nor talked much with, Papa Bear but I have heard nothing but good things about him. RIP to Papa and Otto
saucyjack
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Crying or Very sad
Hammer_Minister_of_War
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: SomeWhere BeYond the Realm of ElseWhere and ElseWhen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My best 'In Game' memory of Otto was when I ran a contest in Arena 33 many years ago and an Intro Spotlight was required for registration points.

One of the best all-time spots that I ever read was the one Otto submitted for the contest.

Basically, a mysterious hooded-figure was making his way through the shadowy alley ways etc and finally came to an old abandoned storefront.

He opened it and announced that The Baker was back in town and that Bad Bread was back in business!

His Descriptive Narrative and Wit shone throughout that Spot he wrote!

I mentioned it to him on Chatzy and he did not remember writing that Spot, but it has ever-more served as a 'Bar' for my writing Team Spots, especially when I am thinking about writing a Spot that is above and beyond my usual Spot writing!

RIP Otto X
Hammer_Minister_of_War
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

Location: SomeWhere BeYond the Realm of ElseWhere and ElseWhen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I also had the distinct honor of teaming with Otto X many years ago in a Turf War or TOGS that was a 2 Manager Team-Up contest.

At the time Otto contacted me to be his partner and my reply was that there were probably better managers to choose from for a more competitive standpoint, but he wanted to team with me, because he knew that I would write Spots and Personals which the contest required.

He also assured me that it did not matter to him how well I played in this particular contest, because he just wanted to have fun!

RIP Otto X
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic