New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104523

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - New Tourney Gimmicks Suggestions Thread
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Managerr
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I forgot to post this a couple of months ago, but this is a good time to post now because everyone returns to view the boards during tourney time. Awhile back I complained about how we always have the same tournament cycle--Bloodgames during FtFs, a Dead Tourney during October and a Fool's type tourney during April.
Once every five years, we might get a tournament of mercy or something. It's time for some new gimmicks/themes!

So, post your ideas for new tournament gimmicks, and I'll compile and send them to Lee. They can be new tourney themes, ideas for new competitions within the tourneys, tweaks to the match-up programs, a new special class, anything you can think of.

Here are some example ideas:

Tournament of Champions: A tournament celebrating the game's greatest past champions. Any former Tournament
Champion (living basic or Advanced) can enter the tourney for free.

Tournament of Diversity: The top stylemaster in every class gets a special prize.

Old School Tournament: A tournament using the original match-up program/elimination format. (where only the people
who tied with the best records after 10 rounds went to the run-offs)

Gateway Monster's Tourney: Like the badd tourney, but a little different in the sense that all 0-2 warriors have to run a gauntlet of
NPC/Monster types in order to earn their TV.
Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tournament of the Worst - You are eliminated after your third win. I think the only way this could work if it was run side by side with the true tournament. In effect, you are entered into both tourneys. This might also work as an alternative to the tournament of fools. If you lose your first two, you keep fighting until you win instead of until you lose.
Prize Ideas:
- Reroll (clearly the warrior needs it). Or perhaps the manager can choose a subset of attributes they'd like rerolled.
- Send the Lions Out? (either resurrect the lions or match against a dark arena creature appropriate for the level of play)
- All the warrior's fights for the next 6 months use the Tournament of the Fools messages?

Tournament Gauntlet - You are always matched against someone with the same record as you are. Undefeated's fight each other, 1 loss warriors fight each other, 2 loss warriors fight each other.

Popularity Contest - The most popular and least popular warriors get one free fight credit (or their tourney is free). (Could be every turn of the tournament, 1 winner for the entire tournament (most popular/least popular single fights preferable to cumulative), etc)

Tournament of Death & Mercy - All fights are to the death, but you are resurrected at the end of the tournament. Or if RSI balks at this, they could just use the Bloodgames higher death rate.

Tournament of Masters - RSI sends master trainers to coach every warrior after every fight and learning for this tournament only is doubled (Maybe only the first 5 turns of the tournament has double learning/training rate?).

Tournament of the Odd - You fight with your opponent's strategy on odd turns. You don't get to see your opponent's strategy (I would foresee massive complaints if strategies were revealed), you simply fight with it.

Random Tournament - You fight with a random strategy and weapon. Ok, this is a stupid idea.

Tournament Inversion - You fight with opposite experience to your current level (Rookies fight with maxxed skills/trains, Apprentices get bumped to Contender level, ..., Contenders fight with 4 FE 0 trains and 8 skills each, Primus fights with 0 FE and no training or skills.
Assurnasirbanipal
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, and the obvious single elimination tournament...
LHI
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tourney of Death in AD.

Run the Advanced tourneys with the bloodgames fight code. Still do 3 losses and out... but most everyone will just die Smile

ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I would suggest trying to get them to fix everything that is wrong with the current system first before having them waste time on gimmicks, but what do I know.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
MarmaDuke
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This idea will probably get shot down faster than a bird by Dick Cheney at a duckhunt, but....

How about a TC winner immediately getting bumped to the Primus arena (Contenders level warrior) along with all the miminum requisite skills, similar to how bloodgames winners get bumped to ADM. The prize would have to be used on the TC winner itself and not the warrior of the manager's choice.

Another off the wall idea is "tactic enhancement". Instead of changing favorite tactics, how about doubling the effect of either offensive or defensive tactics (or both). You could win 3 potions of tactic enhancement to be used on any warrior you like.

Potion of carry capacity prize which could bump your carry by a fixed amount. Imagine making a Ripper with 7ST and 21CN and being well suited to wearing APA+F?

Just throwing stuff against the wall for discussion.....

Deviation, State of Mind, Da Dog Powndaz, Pyromania, Rap Attacks, Slamma Jamma

May your blades always be sharp, and your opponents armor always have rust.....
One Armed Bandit
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Tournament of Diversity: The top stylemaster in every class gets a special prize.

It needs a new name, but I've always thought this would be a good idea to promote the playing of off-styles.

In order to do this, RSI would have to weaken the TC prize for the tournament, or else they would simply be giving away too many goodies. It would be most easily done with a prize of +1 bonus potions. Give three or five +1 bonus potions to the winner and one each to the other stylemasters in the class. So the prizes would be slightly more powerful than normal (12-14 +1 bonus potions instead of 10), but it would be spread out among a huge number of competitors.

I think this has the potential to increase tourney participation (because it is far more likely to win SOMETHING) and diversity among warriors more than anything else I could think of. If they ran this tourney on a semi-regular basis (like every two years), then people would develop a habit of making off styles and sending them into competition.

The best part is that it would require no extra coding, simply looking up the stylemasters in each tourney class. The bad part is that the +1 bonus potions might be a headache for Lee to assign and keep track of.

Edit:

You could probably also do it with other prizes, on second thought. Something like a max damage potion for the TC and a limited damage bump potion for the stylemasters (I believe this is a frequent prize in arena contests). Or a set favorites potion for the TC and a know favorites potion for the stylemaster. Something in keeping with a main prize for the winner and a lesser version for the others.
Mannequin
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One Armed Bandit wrote:
Quote:

It needs a new name, but I've always thought this would be a good idea to promote the playing of off-styles.

In order to do this, RSI would have to weaken the TC prize for the tournament, or else they would simply be giving away too many goodies. It would be most easily done with a prize of +1 bonus potions. Give three or five +1 bonus potions to the winner and one each to the other stylemasters in the class. So the prizes would be slightly more powerful than normal (12-14 +1 bonus potions instead of 10), but it would be spread out among a huge number of competitors.

I think you could give the TC's a weak prize like immortality/resurrection, limited damage bump, etc. The easiest way to keep track of so many bonus potions (11 x 9 = 99) would be a stipulation that they cannot be sold or traded/given away.

Quote:

I think this has the potential to increase tourney participation (because it is far more likely to win SOMETHING) and diversity among warriors more than anything else I could think of. If they ran this tourney on a semi-regular basis (like every two years), then people would develop a habit of making off styles and sending them into competition.

I agree with your assumption that tourney participation would increase. However, I can't help but feel you would see a greater increase in style diversity than you would in overall tourney participation. I doubt most people would significantly expand their tourney rosters due to the overall cost.

Mannequin

"You're a madman!"
"Aye, I've come to the right place then."
Nomad
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I really like the idea of the stylemaster tournament. I like the diversification of styles and the fact that there is a bigger chance for more people to win something, even if it isn't a big prize.
bubbaganoosh
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nomad wrote:
I really like the idea of the stylemaster tournament. I like the diversification of styles and the fact that there is a bigger chance for more people to win something, even if it isn't a big prize.

+1

Madwand
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I favour any Tournament that "spreads the wealth" and gives the opportunity for other non-tourney managers to win Smile Like me!

DM 47 Fast Food
DM 100, 102 and 106 Various Teams
And several 'Blades' Guilds across Alastari.

Scars fade, wounds heal but glory lasts forever!

Ski-Bum
Advanced Expert Poster
Advanced Expert Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bubbaganoosh wrote:
Nomad wrote:

+1

+1
Visionst01
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nomad wrote:

I also stylemaster idea and OAB's suggestion of giving lesser prizes to those stylemasters. It could either replace the Badd/Fools in April or be done every other year in April, but make it for ADM class tourneys only.
The stylemaster prize could be there choice of +1 bonus potion, 1 fave potion or 1 damage raise potion, that can only be used on that warrior. The TC in each ADM class would only get the normal TC prize offered in that tourney.

Active:
Mid Earth in DM 29 Lapur
Clan Longbeard in DM 81 Shadowspire
bubbaganoosh
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Visionst01 wrote:
Nomad wrote:

I also stylemaster idea and OAB's suggestion of giving lesser prizes to those stylemasters. It could either replace the Badd/Fools in April or be done every other year in April, but make it for ADM class tourneys only.
The stylemaster prize could be there choice of +1 bonus potion, 1 fave potion or 1 damage raise potion, that can only be used on that warrior. The TC in each ADM class would only get the normal TC prize offered in that tourney.

heh - visionist getting on board. that's what i like to see.... Very Happy

seems like as TC you're also the style master though. double dipping if you got both?

gentleben
ArchMaster Poster
ArchMaster Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

How about this for a gimmic in primus, the primus arena is reshuffled to line up with the results of the tourney so the top of primus would be the TC of the primus tourney and go down just as outlined in the tourney newsletter. Any warriors that did not fight would put in there same order they were before except they would be below all those that participated in the tourney.

I know, "you don't even have anyone in Primus so shut-up". Just talking out loud.

Secret Squirrels-32
He Be GBs-33
Time Stallyans-45
Pawn of Prophecy-47
Primal Instinct-81
Misfit Managers-1,2,3,4,18,25,29
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic