New Today: 1
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 104512

People Online:
Visitors:
Members:
Total: 0
Duel2.Com: Forums

Duel2 :: View topic - Anyone else play both DM and "Pit of War"?
 Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Do you guys know what I am going to do? I am going to go to Papa John's and keep bugging the guys there to make their pizzas like Pizza Hut. I mean, Pizza Hut is the most popular and I like it better. And it is true, I could just go to Pizza Hut. But But I don't want to do that. I'm just going to keep bugging Papa John's until they do what I want.
Lugal
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ya know, even though there's a Taco Bell right down the road from me, I want to go to McDonald's instead, but I still want tacos. I'm going to start asking them to make tacos. Does anyone know how to get in contact the administration so I can send them lots of emails about it?

Guys, guys, I'm not trying to turn McDonald's into Taco Bell, I just want to add tacos to the McD's menu, and burritos....and nachos.
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Longshot,

I'm not sure if you know about this, but there is an entire forum section dedicated to topics regarding "Game Changes" - some of which have made similar suggestions to the ones I made in other threads. I've always considered people who make suggestions on improving the game to be the most dedicated fans of the game myself.

I enjoy this genre so much that there was a time I seriously thought about getting some people together to make an offer to RSI to purchase the rights. Got too busy with other things though and never made any official inquiry. In my more inspired moments, I sometimes think about getting a team together to design an app based iteration of this sort of game. But again, daily responsibilities come crashing in and that always gets put on the back-burner.

Sorry you are so bothered by my interests. But if it makes you feel better, feel free to vent here all you want. That's what online and PBM escapes like DM and PoW are for anyway, eh?

Last edited by Adoede on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Lugal,

That's the third time you've tagged up on someone else's post to make a comment on this thread - which is fine, but I'd love to hear you in your own words rather than echoing someone else's thoughts. You have a voice all your own and it deserves just as much consideration and respect as anyone else's. Never be shy about using it, bro. And don't let anyone try to shut you up.
jack
Advanced Master Poster
Advanced Master Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is my experience with pit of war. I thought it was actually an online version of duel 2 when I went to terrablood's site and saw the ad. After all, y would rsi allow the competition's ads on their website? I didn't know better and I quickly learned that it had nothing to do with rsi. I played everyday for 2 months straight, getting up an hour early before work just to play, while I waited on my turns to come in from duel 2. It became so repetitive and became a chore. Duel 2 connects with life and becomes a lifestyle for us and we take this game very seriously. I mean there have been times I've actually chased the mailman down to see if maybe he forgot my turns in the truck because they didn't come. I walk in Wal-Mart and give stats to the passer byers.. names for characters just slam in my head in the middle of the night.. Pit of war is free yes, but you have players who sink money into it just like any other online game and dominate, you can only get so good for free or it takes so long it's insane. That aspect pissed me off and I've never been back, nor have my friends that played also. I feel like I've cheated on duel 2 now that I've written and read this. See, that's that connection to life I was talking about that POW will never have...

Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Jack,

Thanks for that *too close to home* reflection Wink

My favorite was sitting on the throne poring over every detail in the newsletter trying to decipher which glads were of what style so I could plan my challenges accordingly. I think in the early days, I spent more money on DM some months than I did on my girlfriend...yes, pretty sad, I know. A few years later, I had effectively replaced all the clothes in my dresser drawers with piles of fight data instead. That's when I knew I needed professional help Laughing

Remember frantically calling in to RSI to request a duplicate when the mail didn't come on the day you expected? And then the turn comes the next day and you end up with 2 copies of the same turn? I remember some people used to use that to get 2 official copies of the same awesome roll-up. Not me, of course Rolling Eyes

Anyway, nice hearing from you. Peace.
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Gunsmith,

I think you are responding to my other post asking about an online version of DM. I'd given up that pursuit as others have said that for whatever reason it's not going to happen. Let me be very clear, I'm not trying to push for an online version of DM. It's not going to happen and I've moved on.

This post is about about seeing if there are others around who play both DM and Pit of War or another online game simultaneously (I've changed the title to better reflect that). Not quite sure why some people think I'm still trying to push for an online version of DM since that was never in the original post. Sure an online version would be great. But that conversation ended a while ago.

Thanks for the more considerate tone though, we're all just having fun here after all, eh.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Adoede wrote:
Hey Longshot,

I'm not sure if you know about this, but there is an entire forum section dedicated to topics regarding "Game Changes" - some of which have made similar suggestions to the ones I made in other threads. I've always considered people who make suggestions on improving the game to be the most dedicated fans of the game myself.

I think you are one of those guys who likes to be wrong and mocked constantly. So, let me oblige you. There is nothing wrong with suggesting ways to improve the game. there has been changes. The game we currently play isn't the same game we played back in the 90s. But, when people say they don't want it, and you keep pushing it, you start becoming part of the problem. And this causes people to heckle you.

I don't think you know what being dedicated to a game means. Here...Sine I am schooling you, I will continue with this. I started playing Duelmasters (Duel II) back in 1987. I played for six straight years in several arenas simultaneously. The only reason I stopped was something beyond my control.

In 2002 I attempted a comeback, but had to stop because of real life situations. In 2011 I attempted a come back several times. The only thing that I have had hold me up was communication problems.

Since coming back, I have written about the game on websites. I have also offered to write flavour text for the tourney announcements. RSI is so swamped with stuff, I thought it would have been cool to get the information for the tourneys, write some flavour text, and post it here on the forums. I never got a go ahead so that idea died. Now I write an on going series set in the world of Alastari for Suspense and Decision magazine. I do all of this and don't get a dime. Nor do I get special treatment in game. Do you see? That is helping. That is dedication. Now buzzing around like a demented yap dog constantly getting underfoot. If you do it like me, you'd be a big St. Bernard getting in the way. Laughing

Adoede wrote:
I enjoy this genre so much that there was a time I seriously thought about getting some people together to make an offer to RSI to purchase the rights. Got too busy with other things though and never made any official inquiry. In my more inspired moments, I sometimes think about getting a team together to design an app based iteration of this sort of game. But again, daily responsibilities come crashing in and that always gets put on the back-burner.

Who hasn't thought they could run RSI or any other game that they liked? If I got a dollar for every time I thought to buy Games Workshop and make changes, I could buy Games Workshop!

Adoede wrote:
Sorry you are so bothered by my interests. But if it makes you feel better, feel free to vent here all you want. That's what online and PBM escapes like DM and PoW are for anyway, eh?

Wow! You are giving me permission to "vent"? You are too kind. You do realise that I can do that without your permission,right? But from what I gather, PoW is designed to bore and Duell II is designed to have players make champions. By the way; do you even play the friggin' game? What arena are you active in?
Lugal
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Adoede wrote:
Hey Lugal,

That's the third time you've tagged up on someone else's post to make a comment on this thread - which is fine, but I'd love to hear you in your own words rather than echoing someone else's thoughts. You have a voice all your own and it deserves just as much consideration and respect as anyone else's. Never be shy about using it, bro. And don't let anyone try to shut you up.

Fine.

You are a shill.

What's worse, you take us all for dumb by crying that you're NOT a shill for POW, just a DM player trying to tell us about somthing different. Which would have been fine, but after you were given a firm "NO" you didn't shut up.

I actually respect the profession of salesman, really. When I stop respecting it is when I give them a "NO" and they don't shut up, which I consider disrepect to me.

This is an internet forum, the internet. It's not Face The Nation. If I want to tag on to someone else's idea, that's my right. I agreed with them and I was having fun with it. Also, I enjoy dog piling on people who don't take hints.

You had a right to make a post about PoW, but when everyone told you they weren't interested you kept on. People told you why they like DM as it is, and you still kept on. No one is going to help you change the game that they like as is.

Now that you've seen my thoughts, I'll go back to "echoing" others for a moment: please, just move on.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I bet Adoede wishes he never poked you with a stick. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Awesome reply by the way.
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Adoede, before you step on another land mine like you did with Lugal, I would like to make a proposal.

Instead of replying with nonsense (Lugal just called you out. So we all have an idea what you are about). go to DM-8 (Arkers) and play. Start a new team or transfer one of your inactive teams. My team is named the Chosen. Since I just cleaned house in that stable, all of our warriors will be on the same level, So, it will be a fair fight. You and I can settle up on the sands.

That way, we won't keep flaming you. As much as it has been, it is getting old.

If I win, you stop bugging people about Pit of Wannabe Duel II.
If I lose, I will play Pit of Wannabe Duel II for three months and suffer you and the people who put you up to harassing us. I will not reply with any smart comments.

Deal? Cool
Longshot
Grandmaster Poster
Grandmaster Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Adoede wrote:

Remember frantically calling in to RSI to request a duplicate when the mail didn't come on the day you expected? And then the turn comes the next day and you end up with 2 copies of the same turn? I remember some people used to use that to get 2 official copies of the same awesome roll-up. Not me, of course Rolling Eyes

Anyway, nice hearing from you. Peace.

Wait a minute...are you saying people cheated RSI by getting copies of the same roll up and running them twice?
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lugal wrote:

Fine.

You are a shill.

What's worse, you take us all for dumb by crying that you're NOT a shill for POW, just a DM player trying to tell us about somthing different. Which would have been fine, but after you were given a firm "NO" you didn't shut up.

Close, but the details are a bit off.

This thread was originally titled "Why I'm switching from DM to PoW" because I was annoyed there were no plans for an online version. Hard as it may be to believe, I'm being 100% honest when I say an online version of DM is my dream game. I don't know why, but the 2 week turns and PBM format was a lot harder to get used to after my long lay-off.

Anyway, Otis commented that that post seemed disrespectful of RSI - and it was...and it was meant to be.

But I still have a little soft spot in my heart for all the years of happiness DM brought to me, so I changed the post to be more neutral and focused on promoting both DM and PoW/other online arena games. Haven't quite decided if I'm going to stick with both or just focus on one or the other.

There you have it. Mystery solved. No big conspiracy.

Btw, Lugal, I meant no insult to you in my comment. Just wanted to inspire you to be better than you were showing. Nice to hear your voice for a change Wink
Adoede
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Longshot,

That's really cool that you're so involved in promoting and supporting DM - seriously. I used to write a lot of stories in the arena newsletters and help out at conventions (back when RSI was so understaffed they let random players help input the turns for the tourney)

And your suggestion to settle this on the sands is pretty sweet. Gotta admit I'm mighty tempted. Though currently my teams are only active in tourneys...like I said to Lugal, I'm waffling about whether to stick with DM or move on to another online game. Figured I'd ask around in the forums about an online version before committing to return to active managing in the regular game or not.

As for the cheating trick, yup, lots of people used to do that. Didn't you ever wonder why mega-managers always had better glads than you? I figure RSI has figured out how to stop that by now...or not. I remember someone got like three copies of some awesome godlike roll-up and would switch one of those roll-up copies with the crappy roll-up they got on a later turn. Voila, now you have three godlike glads on your team - each slightly differently built, of course. There was another trick in conventions...but I've said enough already.
Lugal
Unchartered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Adoede wrote:

Close, but the details are a bit off.

This thread was originally titled "Why I'm switching from DM to PoW" because I was annoyed there were no plans for an online version. Hard as it may be to believe, I'm being 100% honest when I say an online version of DM is my dream game. I don't know why, but the 2 week turns and PBM format was a lot harder to get used to after my long lay-off.

Anyway, Otis commented that that post seemed disrespectful of RSI - and it was...and it was meant to be.

But I still have a little soft spot in my heart for all the years of happiness DM brought to me, so I changed the post to be more neutral and focused on promoting both DM and PoW/other online arena games. Haven't quite decided if I'm going to stick with both or just focus on one or the other.

There you have it. Mystery solved. No big conspiracy.

Btw, Lugal, I meant no insult to you in my comment. Just wanted to inspire you to be better than you were showing. Nice to hear your voice for a change Wink

Not only are you a shill, you're a troll, but I'll play a little further.

See, I wasn't even bothered by your first post, criticism or not. What bugs me is when people told you "We like DM. Please go enjoy PoW.", you kept on. Whether paid or not, a shill is a shill. And you indeed wreak of it.

One last thing, you must have been playing since Day 1 of DM, because I've got a three digit account, and I don't remember a time that RSI didn't have control codes on their roll-ups. If another old-timer chimes in and says it's true, I'll believe it. Until then, the assertion of duplicate roll up cheating is bogus.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic